• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Your number one top supplement (pure ingredient, not a multi)

chemical supplement extract

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

I see some things on the shelf that I believe would do a lot more harm thing it then not.

Any reason anyone would need 1000IU of synthetic vitamin E daily?

The only vitamins I religiously take are vitamin K2 (mk7) and vitamin D. I have fair skin and burn easy in the sun so avoid as much as I can and the Western diet is almost non existent in K2 which looking at is critical for health (and wise to take when taking D). I wonder if one of the greatest killers being heart disease in western people is correlated with a lack of this vitamin.

#32 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:12 AM

I see some things on the shelf that I believe would do a lot more harm thing it then not.

Any reason anyone would need 1000IU of synthetic vitamin E daily?

The only vitamins I religiously take are vitamin K2 (mk7) and vitamin D. I have fair skin and burn easy in the sun so avoid as much as I can and the Western diet is almost non existent in K2 which looking at is critical for health (and wise to take when taking D). I wonder if one of the greatest killers being heart disease in western people is correlated with a lack of this vitamin.

The Walmart where I live currently has bottles of 4000 IU vitamin E capsules on their shelves.

*sigh*

I think the new upper limit for vitamin E (for long term use) is 2000 IU.

I also saw DHEA 50mg tablets marketed for women. Even 25mg is almost too much for the average woman.

Edited by Duchykins, 21 February 2014 - 12:15 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Strangelove

• 792 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

Endurance is markedly better.

Its activities are consistent with enhanced mitochondrial performance. This is mainly noticeable when you are pushing yourself athletically or in cases where there was mitochondrial dysfunction.

Very interesting, have you experienced increase in mental endurance also, or the effects are felt mainly in exercise?

#34 empedocles

• 42 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

Noopept for me , if i take it every day then i don't suffer any of the short term negatives (tip of the tongue effect) after a few days , I tired Sulbutiamine once and had the best experiences of my life , massive cognitive boost and focus ( i wrote a whole peer reviewed academic manuscript in a single day ) alas after that one event Sulbutiamine now has 0 effect for me... a dying shame. Noopept however is a steady enhancer.

#35 Sciencyst

• 272 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

Bacopa all the way. It works very much in the background for me, yet its effects are quite apparent in retrospect or when combined with something else. Although I am concerned about its notoriety for scooping up heavy metals from the environment. :|o

#36 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

OK, my vote goes for niacin. Don't know how big was it's part on cutting my LDL in half but it helped for sure. Solid data demonstrating reduced incidence of CVD if taken as mono therapy.
And it gives me a very nice relaxed feeling when I flush. Yes, I really like the flush, I'm weired I guess...

#37 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

For me it is a tie:

Pregnenalone vs Ashwagandha

I take both, together. They work great and seem to synergize for the same issues, namely stress, which is a constant bane in my life. They also seem to synergize for T production and Nootropically.

#38 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

Endurance is markedly better.

Its activities are consistent with enhanced mitochondrial performance. This is mainly noticeable when you are pushing yourself athletically or in cases where there was mitochondrial dysfunction.

Very interesting, have you experienced increase in mental endurance also, or the effects are felt mainly in exercise?

I haven't really noticed a mental effect, although some people say they do.
  • like x 1

#39 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:58 AM

People ask me this question all the time. They know I take a lot of stuff, but want to know what I'd recommend if they would or could just take one supplement. The science is too new or unproven for me to recommend what I consider my " top supplements ". ( C60oo, Niagen, Metformin, PQQ )
Vitamin D is the answer I give.

#40 Sciencyst

• 272 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:30 AM

OK, my vote goes for niacin. Don't know how big was it's part on cutting my LDL in half but it helped for sure. Solid data demonstrating reduced incidence of CVD if taken as mono therapy.
And it gives me a very nice relaxed feeling when I flush. Yes, I really like the flush, I'm weired I guess...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the flush.! It makes it really really easy for me to sleep, because my mind is feeling instead of thinking and creating, plus it makes me feel.. giddy. Altered for sure but not quite high.

It sucjs majorly the first few times or especially if you are in public, but once you are used to it, it feels GOOOOOOD! :D

#41 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:22 AM

Since no one has mentioned it, I will add carnosine to the discussion. If your diet is nutritionally adequate, I think carnosine is still worth supplementing and the data is compelling. If I could only have one supplement, that would probably be it.

#42 shaggy

• 282 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

Grape seed extract for me.
Has amazing anti aging qualities. Anti diabetic..anti carcinogen..anti anti atherosclerosis from multiple pathways. .looks promising in brain aging too. Oh and most of all great for the skin especially when combined with astaxanthin and lycopene. No one believes I'm 44 and this after years of sun bathing and cigarette smoking till I was 30. Awesome supplement.
  • like x 1

#43 brendan1

• 65 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:15 AM

Shaggy which brand do you use?

#44 Bluedot

• 17 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

I would personally say vitamin D, if deficient, or vitamin K2 (ideally both but this would not answer the question asked by OP).

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#45 DbCooper

• 137 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

Saffron (or extract) the amount of calm and relaxation it provides are incredible.

#46 stan08

• 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

For me it's Agmatine - lowers anxiety, improves mood and decreases lower back pain (sciatica).

Edited by stan08, 19 September 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#47 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

I would personally say vitamin D, if deficient, or vitamin K2 (ideally both but this would not answer the question asked by OP).

+1

#48 rebecca123

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:03 PM

Unfortunately, nothing I've ever tried worked, so I'd say fish oil and l-theanine, they were the closest to 'working' (manic/more active and calm feelings immediately) and were cheap enough to be considered worth it.

#49 Jim Morrison

• 70 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

Ginkgo Biloba. Got rid of my ADHD and concentration problems in one swift swoop. Can't go a day without it.

I second this. I'm taking only the Li1370 extract. 120mg of Symfona forte per day. More expensive than other supps, but for sure worth it.

Right after that I'd vote for a combo of 5HTP and L-Theanine for occasional sleep problems.

Edited by Jim Morrison, 23 September 2014 - 02:57 PM.

#50 rebecca123

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

After this recommandation I tried Ginkgo biloba, but for me it didn't work! everyone is different I guess

#51 HoldingTheFaith

• 195 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:57 AM

Ginkgo Biloba. Got rid of my ADHD and concentration problems in one swift swoop. Can't go a day without it.

lolwhat 

I have to start taking it again then, my mistakes are making work impossible, and convivence very hard. Is Dr Best Brand OK? Which one do you use?

I only noticed more dreams and better erections with it. Nothing dramatic and I was taking 4x the recommended dose but it is actually one these rare supplements that DO SOMETHING. haha

Edited by HoldingTheFaith, 26 September 2014 - 12:03 PM.

#52 HoldingTheFaith

• 195 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

Unfortunately, nothing I've ever tried worked, so I'd say fish oil and l-theanine, they were the closest to 'working' (manic/more active and calm feelings immediately) and were cheap enough to be considered worth it.

Maca Root is one of the few supplements that worked for me re feeling better mood wise, energy etc, I´d check it out. Supposedly helps focus, drive etc but mostly makes you strong and horny, I feel it as an stimulant rather than a supposed adaptogen, which personally I have never found to work.

#53 d1ce

• 7 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:57 AM

Anything with a NOTICEABLE effect. If I had to pick just one that falls under that criteria it would be Selegiline or Modafinil!

#54 FocusPocus

• 225 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:58 AM

Noting down everything in this list and buying them all!

:-D

To answer the qn, Anhydrous caffeine for me. What would I have done without it!

#55 1thoughtMaze1

• 335 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:25 AM

c60-olive oil.

What has this done for you? Please elaborate.

#56 1thoughtMaze1

• 335 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:35 AM

c60-olive oil.

What has this done for you? Please elaborate.

Never mind someone already asked ..

#57 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

Panax Ginseng... heal-all  ;)

#58 rebecca123

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

Panax Ginseng... heal-all  ;)

oh yes, I totally agree with that!

#59 drew_ab

• 121 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

B-12 since I quickly become deficient when not taking it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:05 PM

Right now, the best of the best favorite is theanine. So many different uses, so gentle and subtle, and I've yet to notice a negative side effect of it.

I +1 this, theanine is amazing! Not only does it help the body cope with stress (blood pressure etc) and improve your cognition, but it is the one thing that has helped my GAD anxiety disorder so much without any side effect. I love it so much I grow my own tea plants just for pure admiration of the plant haha

What dosage and times of day do you take it?

Thanks!

So far, my vote goes to uridine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chemical, supplement, extract

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users