Obtaining some good, potent Lion's Mane

lions mane

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 TSX TypeR

• 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

I am planning on committing myself to some hardcore, chronic usage of Lion's Mane for a year and want to to obtain a relatively cost effective and reliable source of Lion's Mane.

Qualifications:
- Must contain Lion's Mane Mycelium
or
- Have atleast 40% Polysaccaride content

Current Sources:

Host Defense - Lion's Mane Mycelium (barely cost effective for the way I will be using it)
http://www.vitaminsh...08#.UvQ247TDW3c

Bioscience Nutraceutical Lion's Mane 50% Polysaccaride content (Apparently, this site is known for selling tainted supplements.)

http://biosciencenut...t&product_id=72

Can anyone help?

#2 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

Before buying a Lion's mane supplement for it's Polysacciride content, you might want to look into what that really is.

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Beta-glucan

Basically, high amounts isn't going to exactly be nootropic.
  • Agree x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 MizTen

• 261 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Try Lion's mane from Mushroomharvest.com

Though it doesn't have the percentage of polysaccharides you would like, it is a very clean, affordable, and reliable source.

copied from the website:

“Our full spectrum lion's mane powder has a minimum beta glucan content of 15%.

Suggested Use: Take 1 tsp twice daily (can be mixed with water, juice or food)

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 tsp
Servings per Container: 227

Amount per Serving ______ 1 tsp ______ %DV
Organic Lion's Mane** ____ 2,000 mg ______ *
(Hericium erinaceus) 15% Beta Glucan (polysaccharide)
*Daily Value not established
**Activated lion's mane mycelium and fruiting body preparation.
Other ingredients: organic myceliated brown rice.

USDA Certified Organic

Grown in the USA

No Imported Mushrooms in our Products

No Fillers

Full Spectrum Lion's Mane

Certified Kosher”

I've used this Lion's mane off and on for about a year with excellent results, especially in conjunction with a few other special nootropic substances and activities.
  • Informative x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#4 TSX TypeR

• Topic Starter
  • 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

Before buying a Lion's mane supplement for it's Polysacciride content, you might want to look into what that really is...
...Basically, high amounts isn't going to exactly be nootropic.

Ok, so what should I look for in terms of potency then? Mycelium content (Like the Host Defense variety)?

Try Lion's mane from Mushroomharvest.com

Though it doesn't have the percentage of polysaccharides you would like, it is a very clean, affordable, and reliable source.

I've used this Lion's mane off and on for about a year with excellent results, especially in conjunction with a few other special nootropic substances and activities.

How does that compare to the Host Defense variety in terms of potency? Cost is less important than potency.

Edited by TSX TypeR, 07 February 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#5 TSX TypeR

• Topic Starter
  • 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

Ok, so what should I look for in terms of potency then? Mycelium content (Like the Host Defense variety)?

Yes, and Host Defense's Lion's Mane is probably the best.

The active parts of the mushroom fruit are known as Hericenones. These are believed to be to active parts promoting NGF in the actual mushroom itself. The root also known, as mycelium of lion’s mane is also highly potent for promoting NGF, in fact, it is thought to be up to 5x as potent as the fruit. The active component promoting NGF in the mycelium of Lion’s Mane is Erinacine. If one were to find the best lion’s mane extract they would find one from the mycelium of the fungi.

So, the following is a slightly misleading answer in regards to Lion's Mane supplements, which are known for their NGF promoting properties. No one is looking for Lion's Mane for its immune boosting properties.

...The polysaccarides are active ingredients.

Try Lion's mane from Mushroomharvest.com...it is a very clean, affordable, and reliable source.

Other than Host Defense's Lion's Mane; clean, affordable, and reliable Mushroomharvest.com Lion's Mane seems to be the best full-spectrum choice (and it contains minimum polysaccarides).

Edited by TSX TypeR, 08 February 2014 - 07:29 PM.

#6 Steve Zissou

• 91 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

I have had good results from mushroom science http://www.mushroomscience.com/.

I take one tablet sublingually everyday and I get a pronounced effect. I'm guessing the absorption is far greater that way, and therefore cheaper.

#7 TSX TypeR

• Topic Starter
  • 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

I have had good results from mushroom science http://www.mushroomscience.com/.

I take one tablet sublingually everyday and I get a pronounced effect. I'm guessing the absorption is far greater that way, and therefore cheaper.

Thanks for response, I was thinking about these guys until I found Host Defense.

Here's what turned me off:

Mushroom Science has 27g in a bottle for ~$27
(with unknown Mycelium content)

Host Defense has 30g in a bottle for ~$23-$26
(contains Mycelium)

So, you recommend sublingual dosing?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Qualifications:
- Must contain as much Lion's Mane Mycelium as possible
or
- Have no more than 15% Polysaccaride content
(Immune boosting capabilities are one of the last things I need.)

Other than Host Defense Lion's Mane, my current frontrunner is Mushroom Harvest containing full-spectrum Lion's Mane for an astonishing ~$37 (shipping was ~$7) for 454g. I'll probably end up chronically using the Mushroom Harvest (or a higher quality bulk powder) product for a year and I'll add in the Host Defense Lion's Mane during classes for a little extra NGF.

This liquid Lion's Mane look very interesting anyone know about this?
http://www.vitaminsh...24#.UveiZLTDW3c

Edited by TSX TypeR, 09 February 2014 - 03:54 PM.

• Ill informed x 1

#8 alan.r

• 35 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:48 AM

You could just grow your own - plenty of sources on ebay for the plug starters.
  • Ill informed x 1

#9 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:42 AM

Yes , I suggest growing your own, it will be awesome! It's fun, it's like taking care of alien pets that you end up eating who love going into your brain.

I JUST bought Host Defence's lions mane after a couple of months of knowing it was availible at my local health shop. I was hesitant because I didn't want to waste money on anything that didn't work. But I have to be honest, the marketting used here that shows Paul Stamets on the box and his name had me thinking "hmm, it's Paul Stamets" made me think somehow I could trust the brand. (very rare forthis to happen with me!) .. I also hesitated because of price and that I didnt know how truly strong it was.

Anyway, I took the first dose today. It was pretty good. I'll keep you updated on effects. Mostly I noticed a smooth stimulating kind of boost, but also antidepressant/antianxiety type effects.

It's a bit expensive though. The bottle only has 15 doses for that 20-whateveritwasdollars price. I wish I could find something with more bang for buck but it seems this is really high quality stuff at least.............
  • Disagree x 1

#10 Steve Zissou

• 91 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:03 AM

protoject have you tried taking it sublingually?

#11 TSX TypeR

• Topic Starter
  • 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:21 PM

Yes , I suggest growing your own, it will be awesome! It's fun, it's like taking care of alien pets that you end up eating who love going into your brain.

I will definitely be thinking about this, is this something that can be done in a dorm room or do I need to grow this stuff at a secret spot in the woods or something.

I JUST bought Host Defence's lions mane...It was pretty good...Mostly I noticed a smooth stimulating kind of boost, but also antidepressant/antianxiety type effects.

For me this is a notable statement, I think I experienced the same thing from Host Defense Lion's Mane (I didn't use it sublingually) but I disregarded it because I didn't think was supposed to feel anything from it for a few months. I'm going to start the Host Defense again a few weeks from now to see if it happens again. So far, it is not happening with the Mushroomharvest variety, I've been on for a week now.

#12 Babychris

• 466 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:35 PM

So finally what is the final word ? Bulk from nootropics depot, Host defense or MushRoom science ? That's hard to choose

#13 TSX TypeR

• Topic Starter
  • 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:04 AM

I decided that I was going to chronically use the Mushroomharvest version while leaving the Host Defense version on standby to use during special times (for example, exams)

I've been chronically using the Mushroomharvest Lion's Mane since early February (dosing twice a day with a 1.2 ml scoop) and I've just started the Host Defense Lion's Mane on top of that a few days ago.

edit:
Results seem positive but I want to wait at least 6 months before I making a conclusion. This is because I am also on other supplements (though, not chronically).

Edited by TSX TypeR, 06 April 2014 - 01:08 AM.

#14 Babychris

• 466 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:15 AM

Why restraining the host defense brand for exam period ? Don't understsand your point ? Is it related to price ? So ultimately you find HD better but it's too expensive.. ?

#15 TSX TypeR

• Topic Starter
  • 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

So ultimately you find HD better but it's too expensive.. ?

Correct, Host Defense seems better because it appears to contain pure mycelium (where most of the Lion's Mane NGF exists) where as the Mushroomharvest has the full spectrum (fruiting body and mycelium) and Mushroomharvest is definitely cheaper than the Host Defense.

Mushroomharvest - 454g for $37
Host Defense - 30g for $26....The Potent Choice, for now
  • Ill informed x 1

#16 Babychris

• 466 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

Yeah but more mycelium don't necesseraly mean more and then better effect don't you think so ? Have you a more subjective opinion as a different feeling in effect with this two forms of LM ?
Because I want to buy one I was hesitant betweed Host defense, and Mushroom science since the last has slately better reviews. Mushroom harvest was not an option because I want to buy on Iherb.
  • Agree x 1

#17 AlmostEasy

• 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:43 AM

http://www.longecity...om-experiences/

I would suggest thoroughly digesting that page, it has some very good information on the extraction process, and also this source:

http://www.rockymoun...nootropics.com/

I'm a bit confused on what to purchase as well and It's pretty amazing I found this thread I'm literally debating between the exact same two; Host Defense or MushroomHarvest. HD warrants further experimentation for me, I've been using 2g/day for about 15 days. I believe it's quite potent for me but I need more time before I can claim any kind of certainty. That amount for any amount of time just isn't financially possible, but if it's doing what I think it's doing then I'll certainly keep digging for the most economical choice.

Out of curiosity though, do you notice any difference in feeling between the two? Do you feel the same but just have to take more of it to get the same result?

#18 existence

• 26 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:55 AM

Mushroom Harvest via amazon was the most cost-effective I found once I factored in shipping. I encapsulate it.

Is this really the sort of thing that one would feel after taking it? I thought it was a take-it-for-months-and-trust-that-it's-working deal. Maybe I'll have to try sublingual...

• Agree x 1

#19 ron45

• 207 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:48 AM

I believe mushroom harvest has1 lb for 30.00. I've searching for a source also. Is there any science around on the NGF properties? Perhaps MushroomScience has some science to share. Science can get pretty scarce where noots are concerned.

Ron

Edited by ron45, 26 May 2014 - 12:52 AM.

#20 AlmostEasy

• 112 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:39 AM

I've been using the Mushroom Harvest 1b for $30 and I believe it's working decently for what I'm using it for.  I have this feeling that the Host Defense may have been more potent but I was in quite a different place when I was first trying that out, and I've also now been taking the MH Lion's Mane for almost 2 months so perhaps the initial benefit differs from the long term one?  I'm not quite sure and I can't afford Host Defense atm.

I'm taking 10 cc of it a day (2 tsp) which is the standard serving suggested on the bag.  It tastes pretty bad and is one of the supplements I dread taking every day unfortunately, but definitely worth it.

This is BY FAR the most affordable Lion's Mane on the market, and from the research I did on extraction methods it looks like it's one of the best.

Good luck :)

#21 Cognizant

• 17 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:58 AM

For sourcing, I just placed an order through efungi.com, which carries all of the mushroom supplements from the major players that are talked about in this forum (Mushroom Harvest/Wisdom, Paul Stament's, etc), and it was actually cheaper to buy from them because their shipping was cheaper. Just so you guys know. 

#22 Yunasa

• 28 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

lion's mane would probably be like a very VERY mild nsi-89 right?

• Ill informed x 2

#23 Babychris

• 466 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:05 AM

Short answer NO 

#24 welbi

• 20 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

I wonder, to get the best benefits in terms of increase of NGF, which features Included must have the supplement?
Look at this, how is it?
http://www.hybridher...s-mane-extract/

#25 Irishdude

• 102 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:51 PM

Any updates from the long term users on this? Worth it?

#26 Real Mushrooms

• 101 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:46 PM

What's important to remember is that there is no pure lions mane mycelium products. Everything made in the USA is mycelium on grain (not mushroom) which ends up with grain in the final product. From the testing that Nammex did, it shows mycelium on grain products to be high in starch which reduces the amount of fungal material in the product (lower potency). See more here: http://www.longecity...t-game-changer/

As far as polysaccharide tests go, they are completely worthless. Polysaccharide tests contain both alpha-glucans and beta-glucans. Starch is an alpha-glucan. Mycelium on grain products with residual starch from the growing medium can produce high polysaccharides numbers when in reality much of it is from starch, which means low beta-glucans.

Lions Mane is a bit different as the research done on it is for the NGF capabilities which has involved the hericinones from the fruiting body and the erinacines from the mycelium. If you look at the mycelium studies, they use liquid culture mycelium (pure mycelium) which can't be confused with mycelium on grain. Those are completely different products and not comparable. 

As no one is testing their products for hericinones and erinacines, there's no real way to know if you're following the research.

For now, as there's no pure mycelium Lions Mane products, the only option that would be consistent with the research is a fruiting body extract. 

This is one of the main studies often touted: https://www.dropbox....d FB-P.pdf?dl=0

• Informative x 2
  • Agree x 1

#27 Nootropic Cat

• 148 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:01 PM

To the above poster,

What would you be your impression of a product like this:

https://www.funkyraw...&pk_campaign=gs

?

Are they just flat out lying when they mention 'The mushrooms' as being 'briefly steam cooked at boiling temperatures, necessary to break down the cell walls to make the medicinal constituents bioavailable. They are then dried around 90 degrees C.'..?

#28 Real Mushrooms

• 101 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:25 PM

To the above poster,

What would you be your impression of a product like this:

https://www.funkyraw...&pk_campaign=gs

?

Are they just flat out lying when they mention 'The mushrooms' as being 'briefly steam cooked at boiling temperatures, necessary to break down the cell walls to make the medicinal constituents bioavailable. They are then dried around 90 degrees C.'..?

Their description is pretty confusing. "mushroom mycelium" is an oxymoron. Both are growth stages in the fungal lifecycle. 

Some products will say mushroom/fruiting body and mycelium as part of the product but they never tell you what the ratio is.

Based on their other mushroom products I would say it's all mycelium on grain because of the price, they actually say mycelium and it's from California.

I doubt they are knowingly lying. Many retailers just aren't educated enough to know the difference. They likely believe they are selling mushrooms. Many suppliers selling mycelium on grain make it sound like it's the mushroom you're buying. 

• Agree x 1

#29 hurricane12

• 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:21 PM

What's important to remember is that there is no pure lions mane mycelium products. Everything made in the USA is mycelium on grain (not mushroom) which ends up with grain in the final product. From the testing that Nammex did, it shows mycelium on grain products to be high in starch which reduces the amount of fungal material in the product (lower potency). See more here: http://www.longecity...t-game-changer/

As far as polysaccharide tests go, they are completely worthless. Polysaccharide tests contain both alpha-glucans and beta-glucans. Starch is an alpha-glucan. Mycelium on grain products with residual starch from the growing medium can produce high polysaccharides numbers when in reality much of it is from starch, which means low beta-glucans.

Lions Mane is a bit different as the research done on it is for the NGF capabilities which has involved the hericinones from the fruiting body and the erinacines from the mycelium. If you look at the mycelium studies, they use liquid culture mycelium (pure mycelium) which can't be confused with mycelium on grain. Those are completely different products and not comparable.

As no one is testing their products for hericinones and erinacines, there's no real way to know if you're following the research.

For now, as there's no pure mycelium Lions Mane products, the only option that would be consistent with the research is a fruiting body extract.

This is one of the main studies often touted: https://www.dropbox....d FB-P.pdf?dl=0

I would like to do a year long trial with lion manes a well, so if supplements aren't guaranteed potency should I just buy the mushroom and eat it?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#30 Nootropic Cat

• 148 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:27 AM

Interesting stuff, thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lions mane

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users