• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Magnesium & Potassium Supplements - Form Question

magnesium potassium oxide gluconate glycinate citrate malate excitotoxicity neurotoxic

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sgupta

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:44 AM

Hey all,

So my doctor has me on Magnesium Oxide (~500mg) and I've also added in Potassium Gluconate (just 99mg along with diet) too boost certain electrolytes (especially since I take some things for IBS that can deplete them).

I recently read it is wise to avoid Aspartate and Glutamate if you can as they can cause excitotoxicity in the brain and act as neurotoxic if you get too much of them.

Also, I'm considering switching up the Magnesium to Glycinate, Citrate, Gluconate, or Malate (the doctor mentioned Glycinate specifically as an alternative so probably leaning towards that).

Do any of these (Oxide, Gluconate, Glycinate, Citrate, Malate) have the excitotoxicity concern associated, or is it ONLY Aspartate and Glutamate I should avoid?

Any other concerns with the various particular forms?

Thanks!

#2 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

None of those forms, except perhaps magnesium aspartate (and I think the verdict is still out on that one, correct me if I'm wrong someone), have any excitotoxicity concerns associated with them. The oxide form isn't absorbed very well, so I'd suggest malate, glycinate, or citrate.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sgupta

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

Awesome - thanks! Will avoid the aspartates just in case. Ordered some glycinate (my doctor mentioned it as an alternative to the oxide I was taking if I didn't like the oxide) and I'll see how I do with that. =)

#4 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:40 AM

The oxide form isn't absorbed very well, so I'd suggest malate, glycinate, or citrate.

The oxide form absorbs fine, unless somehow the person taking it had no acid in their stomach, which is rather unlikely. It's sort of an internet myth that mag oxide doesn't absorb so well.

I suggest to take whatever agrees with your belly the best. Some forms could make you go to the bathroom more often, but that usually depends on dosage.

Edited by nameless, 28 February 2014 - 01:41 AM.

• like x 1

#5 sgupta

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:18 AM

Thanks! Thanks for the clarification on the oxide - I've heard mixed things, but the consensus seems to be it's sort of "slow release". I just switched to glycinated yesterday and we'll see how it goes. I don't like the gastro-related issues of the oxide all that much, so this may work better for me. Thanks for the clarification!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

Was curious about the possible glutamate issue and it seems that the glutamate may not be what's neurotoxic. But that it might act as a transporter if it forms a compound with a toxic metal. Couldn't find anything negative about glutamate compounds of magnesium... but maybe someone somewhere mixed it up with manganese which can be neurotoxic if it accumulates in the brain in large amounts:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3886254/

Howard

Edited by hav, 05 March 2014 - 05:46 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magnesium, potassium, oxide, gluconate, glycinate, citrate, malate, excitotoxicity, neurotoxic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users