- - - - -

Ashwagandha + Benzos?

ashwagandha benzodizepine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HeyItsMeLC

• 65 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

Looking to potentiate the anxiolytic effects of Ashwagandha. Can it be safely combined with benzodiazepine drugs such as Ativan and Xanax?

#2 HeyItsMeLC

• Topic Starter
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

Anyone?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

The problem is even if it could the benzos would just become contradicted after 14 days and you'd likely have to discontinue them to avoid serious long term effects. If I recall correctly, panax ginseng can enhance the reversal of learned helplessness of ashwaganda suggesting synergistic antidepressant activity. Perhaps that might be a better route.

#4 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

If I recall correctly, panax ginseng can enhance the reversal of learned helplessness of ashwaganda suggesting synergistic antidepressant activity. Perhaps that might be a better route.

Are you saying that ashwagandha can contribute to learned helplessness, or that it, along with panax ginseng, counteracts it?

#5 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:43 AM

My claims are
1: Panax Ginseng has the ability to counteract learned helpness in rats.
2: Ashwagandha has the ability to counteract learned helpness in rats.
3. If you combine Panax Ginseng with Ashwaganda it may further counteract learn helpness than either alone.
4. If you take below the dose needed to counteract learned helplessness for both panax ginseng and ashwagandha it might make non statistically significant changes in reversing learned helplessness into the statistically significant range.

How strongly I believe these claims to be true is:
1. Very strong.
2. Very strong.
3. Mild or moderate
4. moderate

So, I guess really you have to determine if the counteracting of learned helplessness is an accurate enough dependant variable to predict anti anxiety activity.

I suggest looking on scholar.google.com and typing in "panax ginseng learned helplessness" "ashwaganda learned helplessness" and "enhanced synergy combining panax ginselg with ashwaganda."
  • like x 1

#6 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

My claims are

Thanks for the clarification.

#7 HeyItsMeLC

• Topic Starter
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:14 AM

The problem is even if it could the benzos would just become contradicted after 14 days and you'd likely have to discontinue them to avoid serious long term effects. If I recall correctly, panax ginseng can enhance the reversal of learned helplessness of ashwaganda suggesting synergistic antidepressant activity. Perhaps that might be a better route.

Not sure what learned helplessness has to do with anxiety, but thanks anyways..ill keep that in mind..

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

Sorry, learned helplessness is just simply the animal model they use as a model for depression and other related mental disorders. So, when you are trying to determine what dosage you should take a good guess is often the dosage used in rats that reversed learned helplessness in mg/kg*your weight in KG then dividing your answer by 10 to adjust for differences in metabolism.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ashwagandha, benzodizepine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users