• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What would the effects of an AMPA agonist be?

ampa

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Absent

• 492 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:57 AM

Amphetamines tend to agonize dopamine, providing the general effects of elevated levels of dopamine flow.

What would the effects of an AMPA agonist be? Racetams are Postive Allosteric Modulators, but these inherently do not agonize the receptors, forcing them on. Would an AMPA agonist feel like a super powerful racetam? Or would an AMPA agonist induce some incredible learning effects? All of the AMPA agonists I have read about seem to be pretty mild, yet effective for treating various cognitive disorders, but I have access to an untested one that would act similarily on the AMPA receptors as amphetamine and methamphetamine act on Dopamine receptors.

When D-Receptors are excessively stimulated, that obvious speed/tweaker experience happens. What if AMPA receptors were excessively stimulated? Would a similar degree of stimulation happen, but on the mental/thoughts? IE, the ultimate nootropic? AMPA receptors do seem to the be the likely candidates for the receptors primarily responsible for LTP and Learning.

#2 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

Glutamate receptors( NMDA,AMPA,KAINATE) cause apostosis( cell deat) if they are overacitvated.

I dont know any clean AMPA agonist but Sunifiram seems afaik to be the nearest to it.

A little Warning about it: Altough it´s allready sold, its still a research chemical, means its not tested and approved for Humans.
The Scinetist who invented it, warned (!) a Longecitiy member not to take it because of the unknown risks. So if someone experiences something negative who could know what the cause is and help....

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Absent

• Topic Starter
  • 492 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

Scientist will always warn members not to take a substance that has never been tested on humans. Nobody wants to be responsible for someones death, even if it is unlikely. Any substance can induce cell death if you take the right dose of it. Adderall and other amphetamines are notorious for destroying dopamine circuits from abuse but people still take them in moderation with great success.

The particular substance I was referring to in my original post was only invented a few months ago, and has not yet been sold anywhere. I am employed at the research company in which it has been developed. There are about 15 other similar ones all based on the same structure as well. I've known about them for a while now but only recently has the authenticated opportunity arisen for me to acquire them and test them at my own discretion.

I could easily get Sunifiram, but I am more inclined to first try these other things I have access due, since I am knowledgeable about the substances which they were derived from.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Geoffrey

• 218 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

Positive allosteric modulators of AMPAr are more interesting than direct agonists, unless you're looking for a high. I'm more interested in upregulation and its relationship to synaptic plasticity. Glutamate is an agonist of AMPAr as well as NMDAr, but you really don't want too much of that (way too much in our artificial diets anyway). We have some idea of the PAMs of AMPAr, because aniracetam, oxiracetam, pramiracetam, sunifiram and unifiram are all PAMs of AMPAr, at least in part. They all seem to work a bit like turning up the "gain" on a microphone: the receptors become more sensitive and fire more easily, but like a high-gain microphone, they can pick up a lot of "noise" as well. In general, our brains are pretty well tuned, and I'm increasingly of the opinion that it's a zero-sum game trying to turn up the gain on these ion channels, because the brain finds a way to dampen the transmission, like increasing playback volume, putting cotton wool in your ears, and increasing it again, stuffing more cotton wool in, etc. Eventually you have to let all the cotton wool fall out before you can start the cycle again... (washout period). The only thing that may be gained is some neuroprotective effect from the racetams.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ampa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users