the edge effect acetylcholine serotonin speech difficult

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 pheanix997

• Topic Starter
  • 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:41 AM

One thing that helped me in this regard is piracetam which must be taken with a choline source. The other advice in this thread is good too but its hard when you are struggling with what may be a biochemical problem. I found it increased my verbal fluency a lot. This in turn gave me more confidence because instead of worrying that I won't think of the right thing to say, I was talking almost with no effort. Its a feedback loop, speaking more fluently gives confidence which makes you more fluent. Then do the public speaking and so on and watch the miracle happen.

No tolerance developed from the Piracetam? It continues to work? 

Unfortunately, choline gives me brain fog and makes me tired and irritable. 

On a side note, I think Lion's Mane has helped my speech very marginally.

I also think that there're two faucets to poor verbal fluency:

1. anxiety (blocks thinking; fixed with SSRI - at least for me) 

2. brain fog/ sluggishness (poor word recall and not enough mental clarity to string fluent sentences together; haven't yet found the solution here, though NoFap has produced noticeable benefits in this regard. Perhaps Modafinil, piracetam, or some other dopaminergic will help here. Any other suggestions?) 

#32 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

One thing that helped me in this regard is piracetam which must be taken with a choline source. The other advice in this thread is good too but its hard when you are struggling with what may be a biochemical problem. I found it increased my verbal fluency a lot. This in turn gave me more confidence because instead of worrying that I won't think of the right thing to say, I was talking almost with no effort. Its a feedback loop, speaking more fluently gives confidence which makes you more fluent. Then do the public speaking and so on and watch the miracle happen.

No tolerance developed from the Piracetam? It continues to work? 

Unfortunately, choline gives me brain fog and makes me tired and irritable. 

On a side note, I think Lion's Mane has helped my speech very marginally.

I also think that there're two faucets to poor verbal fluency:

1. anxiety (blocks thinking; fixed with SSRI - at least for me) 

2. brain fog/ sluggishness (poor word recall and not enough mental clarity to string fluent sentences together; haven't yet found the solution here, though NoFap has produced noticeable benefits in this regard. Perhaps Modafinil, piracetam, or some other dopaminergic will help here. Any other suggestions?) 

Yes, it continued to work. I know piracetam by itself gives brain fog in some people which is fixed by taking choline. Perhaps the same is true for choline? Aniracetam is another good racetam which helps many people. I would give one or both a try.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Plasticperson

• 246 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:00 AM

niacinamide helps me out a lot

#34 zeddy

• 21 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

dont know about piracetam but aniracetam gave me brain fog if i took it for 2 days in a row at 500mg, almost got me into a couple of car accidents which is the reason i dont take it anymore. noopept made me depressed after a couple of weeks which is a shame because it does work for me, after taking just 20mg after 8 hours or so i felt like crap. i was taking a choline source with noopept, 250mg and i didnt know whether it was the noopept or citcoline which was making me feel like shit.

#35 pheanix997

• Topic Starter
  • 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:13 AM

I have mantra lines I go to again and again, when bored, waiting in line, in traffic (though I usually have radio blasting while driving, so not as much in traffic), when nervous or anxious...they just repeat over and over in my head. It is never the complete poem, which I usually have memorized, but is often a key imagistic phrase that rings and rings over and over in my head like a song you just heard but can't exorcise, but over 20 years!. I just whisper them or repeat them non-vocally:

"...one luminary clock against the sky..." -Frost

"...lake water lapping with low sounds..." -Yeats

"...not ancient ladies when refused a kiss..." -Pope

"...behold the junipers shagged with ice..." - Stevens

It took years to get to the point of familiarity with verse I am now fortunate enough to possess, so I am not sure if it will be a quick fix or a lifelong endeavor at self-betterment. Much success in your endeavor in any event.

Thanks... I think reading lots of literature will definitely help with this. 

#36 pheanix997

• Topic Starter
  • 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:24 AM

Many studies show that high alpha tones increase iq in ADHD types (which you sound like with your deep sensitive thinking). 

Could you elaborate on this? Deep and sensitive thinking is representative of ADHD? And what exactly did I say to give you this impression?

I've wondered whether I have some form of ADD (hyperactive or inattentive) and after much deliberation decided that I was probably being too much of a hypochondriac. But deep down I do feel like I've always had a serious case of ADD PI. So I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Are you an ADD type? 

There's a book on my reading list - "Scattered Minds", written from an MD/ neurologist's perspective - that I should probably get around to reading! 

#37 pheanix997

• Topic Starter
  • 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:51 AM

Hi Major Legend, 

Is it possible for a doctor to prescribe Galantamine for a 24 year old? Seems like this drug is used to treat Alzheimer's. The disease does run in my family and I do have big problems with memory and general cognition, so perhaps this might be worth a try. Do you have experience with Galantamine? Are there side effects? 

There is a huge difference between mental verbal fluency and "spoken fluency" , alot of great writers do not actually make good speakers for example, in fact if you are a talented writer its highly likely that you would be unable to speak fluently due to the noise in your brain.

As far as I know spoken fluency is based on a few things, such as confidence in competence in the subject spoken, social anxiety (how relaxed you are), extraversion, how focused you are, these are some chemicals which may be of use:

Adrafinil
Centrophenoxine
Colouracetam
Galantamine
High Quality Ginseng
Benzos

In my experience - if you are not a natural speaker - repeat exposure to situations will not make you a better speaker, it a kind of subjective topic anyways because
what do you consider a good speaker? Charming doesn't mean intelligent, intelligent doesn't mean creative, good speakers come in many forms somebody who is good at speaking at a silicon valley seminar could be a complete wreck in a cocktail party speech.

Here are some tips on sounding better:

Deeper voices command more attention,

1) say ha ho hu hi but sigh it, in a deep voice. then go mmmmhmmh and go from high to low pitch, as low as you can possibly make it
2) part yours lips and vibrate it as much as possible going into a deep voice.

- add pauses to your speech. A good one is pause and look at your audience then just smile - people love that.

- whenever someone speak pause 2 seconds before responding, you'll look like you are listening and speaking with alot more confidence, alot of times intelligent people are anxious because they actually think too much and as a result speak too fast, as a result they appear less well spoken.

- practice speaking from your heart, watch good speakers like obama and clinton, note how they speak in phrases rather than sentences, with pauses for effect.

- don't look for approval when speaking, this ruins your thought process

#38 SanjayK

• 15 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

From what I understand, poor methylation is basically related to symptoms of CFS? If I'm not way off, that's really interesting, because I have a history of getting really sick, really easy as a child and still to this day (in grade 9 I had a bad case of illness that mimicked many symptoms of mono, but turned it wasn't actually mono), bad allergies, and mental fogginess.

What's your diet like? Seriously, I'd look at food intolerances - eat pastured meats, lots of vegetables, stop eating out.

Try eliminating dairy, wheat, soy, eggs and corn and see if you improve from there. Those are the food groups most people have sensitivities too. I was surprised at how much better I felt when eliminating corn from my diet. I usually had corn when I eat at Chipotle (which is about 2-3x) a week.

Also, look into learning how to meditate :-)

#39 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:58 PM

Hi Major Legend, 

Is it possible for a doctor to prescribe Galantamine for a 24 year old? Seems like this drug is used to treat Alzheimer's. The disease does run in my family and I do have big problems with memory and general cognition, so perhaps this might be worth a try. Do you have experience with Galantamine? Are there side effects? 

I have experience of using galantamine in a stack, I would say it helps recall, BUT I think you need to be more specific about your symptoms, e.g. is it brain fog? do you have gaps in your memory? tip of tongue syndrome?, a lot of memory issues can be caused by poor general mood too. 24 is pretty young to be experiencing such dementia symptoms even if your family has a history of it, this is not uncommon, about half of elderly people will fall into some form of dementia, so its vital we clarify firstly whether your symptoms are anything dementia related. I wouldn't start using galantamine.

I would go something like ginkgo + fish oil + all the vitamin Bs first, especially vitamin b12.

#40 pheanix997

• Topic Starter
  • 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

Hi Major Legend, 

I have experience of using galantamine in a stack, I would say it helps recall, BUT I think you need to be more specific about your symptoms, e.g. is it brain fog? do you have gaps in your memory? tip of tongue syndrome?, a lot of memory issues can be caused by poor general mood too. 24 is pretty young to be experiencing such dementia symptoms even if your family has a history of it, this is not uncommon, about half of elderly people will fall into some form of dementia, so its vital we clarify firstly whether your symptoms are anything dementia related. I wouldn't start using galantamine.

I would go something like ginkgo + fish oil + all the vitamin Bs first, especially vitamin b12.

It's hard to describe my symptoms because they're so pervasive, which is why I'm currently waiting to be assessed for ADD/ dyspraxia/ dyslexia. I certainly have tip of the tongue syndrome, but that's not all I have about speech; I also have trouble pronouncing some words, even words I was enunciating clearly a few moments prior, I have trouble organizing the sequence of my language or "getting out" what I want to say, and I have frequently have unclear speech - this varies of course to how much effort I put into speaking; generally I find it exhausting to speak clearly so my ability to do so peaks and wanes depending on my available energy, i.e. I may have a successful conversation with my boss at work because I'm putting so much energy not only into clearly pronouncing each word, but organizing my sentences in a comprehensible fashion, so that soon after I might mumble or orally stumble more than usual, basically because I'm drained. 

In terms of other cognitive problems, my memory is bad; short-term/ working mostly. For example, last week I was out on a sales route with a fellow colleague and as we got back into the car I commented on the layout of the building I THOUGHT we had just exited, but he was quick to correct me that I was must be referring to the previous building we had entered. That was kind of a scary moment, and I couldn't remember what the building we'd just entered looked like inside until after about 2 minutes of searching through the sludge in my head. 

And yes, chronic "fuzzy-headed" brain fog all day long. Nothing is ever sharp; vision is also fuzzy. I'm pretty much a space cadet who daydreams constantly, bumps into things all the time, and is generally clumsy. 

In terms of psychological/ emotional problems, yes I do have chronic depressive tendencies and dealt with extreme anxiety a few years ago, before I started SSRI medication. But I've spent a couple years facing down those demons and working through those problems. I've matured emotionally over the years and I'm pretty satisfied with my life and where I am. But I'm left with these cognitive issues and brain fog, which I don't believe were "solely" caused by years of untreated depression and anxiety, i.e. I believe my lifelong dyspraxic tendencies may be the main cause of not only my cognitive problems, but to a large extent also my emotional ones, e.g. many dyspraxic people have social anxiety and feel "different" from other people, and not understanding "why" can lead to isolation and depression. 

Edited by pheanix997, 04 July 2014 - 07:56 PM.

#41 oneshot2shots

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:10 AM

Best supplement imo is aniracetam, took it with coffee in the mornings people used to wonder why I was so enthuastic going into work. Definitely good for words, wits and quicker thinking. I get no brain fog and get no side effects when not taking choline. I was always gifted with english but aniracetam really gives you the push and the confidence and lack of self awareness to express it fully.

There is no substitute for diet. Grass fed meats with green vegtables low carbs, high good fats and minimal sugar and processed foods.

I suffer from terrible memory, very frustrating socially when your trying to remember soccer games, even the movie you saw last week, what you read online yesterday etc. I attribute it to alcohol, which i have cut down as much as possible. Some times after a heavy night I wake up with complete memory loss of much of the night before.(looking into lions mane, piracetam, and Ciltep to fix, also take the usual fish oil c,d3,zinc, magnesium). I often get brain-fog that night.

I'd hazard that its the reptilian system interfering, if it happens in front of a large group of people and not from 1 on 1 then the brain thinks that one situation is more dangerous than the other. Meditation with EMwave and exposure therapy.

#42 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

But I'm left with these cognitive issues and brain fog, which I don't believe were "solely" caused by years of untreated depression and anxiety, i.e. I believe my lifelong dyspraxic tendencies may be the main cause of not only my cognitive problems, but to a large extent also my emotional ones, e.g. many dyspraxic people have social anxiety and feel "different" from other people, and not understanding "why" can lead to isolation and depression. 

I understand where you are coming from, growing up with autism I also suffered the same problems of isolation from neurotypicals due a lack of parity in terms of motor coordination skills and development. I totally know what its like to NOT have the mental effecieny of other people (in fact I figured out that successful people probably are at least times worth more capable in terms of genetics without the accounting the compounding experience factor accumulating from a young age, this shows you how far dysfunction can put you back, another topic for another time)

I think your symptoms do not seem intellectual in issue. If its a computer its like the specs are good and its all there, but the parts are not working well together. So I think fluidity and performance is what you are looking for. 

The biggest issue with giving out suggestion on forums, or even my friends or family is that everyone is totally different, so I am kind of stuck as to how to be able to help other people with my experiences as they are just personal.

Reading what you have written, it sounds similar to DAWS, dopamine withdrawal, meaning to me your neurological efficiency seems impaired. I think impaired is a valid word as I don't think there doesn't seem to be any symptoms of damage.

Here are some ideas for you:

Blood speed and oxygenation: Rhodiola 500mg x2, 120mg ginkgo leaf extract, panax ginseng, TOGETHER with sugars preferably Dextrose in particular. I would add about 20-40mg of caffeine (usually a normal coffee will do), and magnesium malate 625mg x 6,

1000mg of fishoil as well, but its optional (fish oil is over rated), but I think it can act as subtle mood stabiliser.

Rhodiola can be replaced with high dose Quercertin from Jarrow, A COMT inhibitor can provide temporary increases in motor coordination/rigor or in your case "talking, verbal expression" problems, BUT COMT inhibitors can also be dangerous when over used, so I don't suggest that as your first option.

If baseline anxiety (loud noises, scares etc, irritation) becomes a problem I would suggest adding choline, preferably Alpha GPC.

Vinpocetine is also a more powerful alternative to ginkgo, dose at 40mg.

If you just want mental connectivity and mood, I think megadosing piracetam would sound good in your situation (since its also the most tried and tested and it does give mental fluency), but I don't think nootropics will help you with your mental performance issues. Stimulatory nootropics may also wreck havok in what already sounds like a delicate situation, at least supplements are somewhat predictable in effects.

Hope this helps. Anyways, I think I am confident that you can resolve the rest of your issues, don't forget environmental factors affect mental performance and self perception too, other peoples ideas and thoughts are like infection. 

Also rule out any allergies or dietary things which may be causing your problem. Forget the whole gluten thing and just use common sense. E.g. try not eating heavy metal meats like shellfish for one week. Reducing junk in your diet is good general advice regardless anyways. The symptoms you describe also can be undiagnosed thyroid issues which I've heard has the "space cadet" effect too.

Edited by Major Legend, 05 July 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#43 Ekscentra

• 36 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:33 AM

Major Legend, do you mind elaborating on your experiences with Galantamine, Coluracetam, and Adrafinil with regards to their effects on verbal fluency? Thanks.

I can't believe, I'm choosing to write one of these, but with the attitudes of some of the more elitist members of the nootropics community at large, I feel it's necessary to avoid any attempts at flaming beforehand. As a disclaimer, these are purely anecdotes and should not be taken as anything but a single user's subjective experience. Any backlashes over a "lack of objectivity" will have missed the point, and I don't wish to convey the following in any light other than a subjective one. That being said, while I'd like to post studies where applicable, I still don't seem to have any privilege to do so at this point, so this will have to do.

In my experience, Piracetam has definitely provided a marked increase in verbal fluency and social confidence. My thinking became just a little bit more quick and efficient, words came more easily, phrases tied together in more interesting ways. I'm not an everyday user due to the racetams compounding my depression after 3 days or so of continuous use. I haven't tried to dose frequently again since beating my depression, but I've noticed no tolerance to any of these effects after infrequent dosing over a period of 6 months, granted I have been using NMDA antagonists to combat amphetamine tolerance, which likely has some similar effect on racetam tolerance as well. Strangely enough, this increase in depressive symptoms did not occur with other non-racetam AMPAkines such as IDRA-21. I can't comment on the racerams in this regard.

Methylene Blue at low, 60mcg doses every 3-4 hours has diminished anxiety in a way similar to benzos, though I don't believe it has any effect at all on GABA receptors. The effect isn't obvious until actual social interaction takes place, unlike benzos where the relaxing effect seems apparent in just about any situation. It's definitely working in the background though, and I feel as though MB has an incredibly wide range of cognitive effects, from working memory, short-term memory, and long-term memory to hand-eye coordination and fear extinction - subjectively I've noticed all of these to some extent or another, though once again, only if I'm actively performing a task related to that area. Given how cheap it is - most users can pick up all necessary supplies for around $30, and this will easily last for at least a decade, especially if you choose to order the powder and follow proper storage procedures - absolutely everyone should be using Methylene Blue. Best value in the pharmaceutical industry, period.

Coluracetam, although I wouldn't say I've noticed spoken verbal fluency, written verbal fluency is very apparent. The ability to come up with just the right words to say in somehow the most perfect order conceivable is 100x that of Piracetam, and I'm only exaggerating slightly there. On Coluracetam, I write with sheer, unabashed confidence, not a drop of hesitation seeping through the works. Everything I write is the way it is, and anyone who disagrees damned well better have a good reason as to why not - that's the sort of attitude I take on Coluracetam, not in a cocky sort of way, for clarity's sake, but in a stand-your-ground, completely sure in oneself way. I haven't observed this same effect in speaking, but that's more than likely because I wasn't paying attention to that aspect and missed it rather than my not having experienced the effect at all. Confidence aside, there's definitely a powerfully creative side to my writing, one I haven't had the chance to experience on any other substance, with my writings on Coluracetam. Even psychedelics, creatively-stimulating as they have been for me, cannot quite meet the same standard set by Coluracetam. I would certainly imagine those two to be an excellent combination for writing specifically, though speaking would be promising as well, so long as the doses are kept within the sub-psychedelic range. Although writing becomes long-winded and tedious under the distracting psychedelia of substances such as 5-MeO-MiPT, not to mention those sometimes annoying animalistic and hedonistic urges that pop up from time to time, I do find that even psychedelic doses of tryptamines (and I may extrapolate that to phenethylamines as well) can add an interesting dimension to my writing, and one that is absolutely worth the excessive time it takes to get those thoughts down. Thoughts under high-doses of a psychedelic substance tend to be more simplistic, but beautifully so. When I look at my writing on high doses of psychedelics versus sub-psychedelic doses versus myself on stimulants/racetams or sometimes even nothing at all, the differences become clear. High doses of psychedelics add this exquisite, masterfully-executed simplicity to my writing style, one that could stand toe-to-toe with some of the great authors of our time and times past. Sub-psychedelic doses take full advantage of each and every one of my cognitive faculties to maximize coherency and avoid going on long rants on ultimately meaningless subjects. You could say they act to "cut the bullshit" and keep the top-notch content that will serve best to stimulate my audience. Stimulants without a benzo in combination to slow down my thought processes always without fail results in a rant style of writing that bears little to no real artistic value, and often can end up being somewhat hateful and resentful in tone in certain areas of the work. As for the racetams, including and especially Coluracetam, my writing style takes on a more creative, yet cognitively uncompromising tone that I simply love more than anything else I've seen myself write. Similes and metaphors are executed masterfully, every word chosen is not only adequate, but brilliantly chosen - nay, perfect even. No mistakes are made, grammar is always perfect (though I'll admit that may be more down to my OCD than the substance itself), and the words just flow calmly and elegantly across the page. Nothing is out of place, and nothing is in need of revision as soon as I'm done. I never cease to be amazed at just how much Coluracetam does for me in this area. I still have plenty of Coluracetam remaining, so I'm sure I'll have the chance to discover something in regards to its effect on speaking in the near future. Right now I'll say I have a strong hunch that Coluracetam will perform nearly  as well but not quite so when compared to its impact on writing style. I'll update with more information when or if I can confirm this hypothesis.

Amphetamines, although I generally wouldn't recommend them due to multiple different factors including neurotoxicity, which, contrary to popular belief, is not as much a concern as some might lead others to believe, and while not entirely without danger, this is generally reversible and with minimal harm when maintaining the proper dose and keeping it low at all times. Regardless of the general consensus for this class of medications, I still feel it has some significant use in this area that shouldn't be ignored for the sake of avoiding another controversy. Although I found methylphenidate to be entirely counterproductive in this area, dextroamphetamine has had quite the opposite result on me. My confidence levels skyrocket, I have less hesitation when I speak, the right phrases just seem to come together but unlike racetams, amphetamines can make one come off as incredibly arrogant if you're not careful in this area. The confidence boost borders and sometimes even reaches overconfidence, which is why I tend to use in combination with a benzo, along with decreasing neurotoxicity. Memantine and other mild NMDA antagonists work well in this area too, as well as minimizing and, in taking breaks, reversing tolerance much quicker than with abstinence alone. I haven't noticed much difference in verbal fluency when it comes to reducing stuttering (I stutter only very occasionally, but I do notice when that's eliminated entirely), but for the rest of the effects desired, dextroamphetamine is top-notch. I've combined with Piracetam and Coluracetam separately on occasion and it proved an excellent combination, bringing my abilities to borderline-genius levels and really allowing me to pump out some quality writing in record times. However, I must warn you that this combination can bring on excitotoxicity, so only use this combination with something that increases the expression of BDNF, including but not limited to Semax, Dihexa, and (yes) THC. I haven't noticed any negative symptoms myself, but better safe than sorry!

The last notable substance to increase verbal abilities for me has been PRL-8-53. PRL-8-53 has improved confidence (though not quite to the level of amphetamines), increased vocabulary usage more than any other substance I know of including Coluracetam, allowed me to far better retain learned vocabulary, which obviously on its own would help increase verbal expression anyways, and lastly it's given me this uncanny relaxed alertness, allowing me to become more engaged in social interactions, taking in and using more information than I might otherwise have used. These three factours combined make PRL-8-53 a uniquely useful substance in improving each of the variables you've mentioned above, OP. I'd seriously advice you to check them out, do a bit of research, and perhaps pick up a few of them, especially MB, which, need I remind you, is absolutely dirt cheap. Good day, and I hope this was of help to those of you out there looking for it. ;)

• Well Written x 3
  • like x 1

#44 pheanix997

• Topic Starter
  • 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

But I'm left with these cognitive issues and brain fog, which I don't believe were "solely" caused by years of untreated depression and anxiety, i.e. I believe my lifelong dyspraxic tendencies may be the main cause of not only my cognitive problems, but to a large extent also my emotional ones, e.g. many dyspraxic people have social anxiety and feel "different" from other people, and not understanding "why" can lead to isolation and depression. 

I understand where you are coming from, growing up with autism I also suffered the same problems of isolation from neurotypicals due a lack of parity in terms of motor coordination skills and development. I totally know what its like to NOT have the mental effecieny of other people (in fact I figured out that successful people probably are at least times worth more capable in terms of genetics without the accounting the compounding experience factor accumulating from a young age, this shows you how far dysfunction can put you back, another topic for another time)

I think your symptoms do not seem intellectual in issue. If its a computer its like the specs are good and its all there, but the parts are not working well together. So I think fluidity and performance is what you are looking for. 

The biggest issue with giving out suggestion on forums, or even my friends or family is that everyone is totally different, so I am kind of stuck as to how to be able to help other people with my experiences as they are just personal.

Reading what you have written, it sounds similar to DAWS, dopamine withdrawal, meaning to me your neurological efficiency seems impaired. I think impaired is a valid word as I don't think there doesn't seem to be any symptoms of damage.

Here are some ideas for you:

Blood speed and oxygenation: Rhodiola 500mg x2, 120mg ginkgo leaf extract, panax ginseng, TOGETHER with sugars preferably Dextrose in particular. I would add about 20-40mg of caffeine (usually a normal coffee will do), and magnesium malate 625mg x 6,

1000mg of fishoil as well, but its optional (fish oil is over rated), but I think it can act as subtle mood stabiliser.

Rhodiola can be replaced with high dose Quercertin from Jarrow, A COMT inhibitor can provide temporary increases in motor coordination/rigor or in your case "talking, verbal expression" problems, BUT COMT inhibitors can also be dangerous when over used, so I don't suggest that as your first option.

If baseline anxiety (loud noises, scares etc, irritation) becomes a problem I would suggest adding choline, preferably Alpha GPC.

Vinpocetine is also a more powerful alternative to ginkgo, dose at 40mg.

If you just want mental connectivity and mood, I think megadosing piracetam would sound good in your situation (since its also the most tried and tested and it does give mental fluency), but I don't think nootropics will help you with your mental performance issues. Stimulatory nootropics may also wreck havok in what already sounds like a delicate situation, at least supplements are somewhat predictable in effects.

Hope this helps. Anyways, I think I am confident that you can resolve the rest of your issues, don't forget environmental factors affect mental performance and self perception too, other peoples ideas and thoughts are like infection. 

Also rule out any allergies or dietary things which may be causing your problem. Forget the whole gluten thing and just use common sense. E.g. try not eating heavy metal meats like shellfish for one week. Reducing junk in your diet is good general advice regardless anyways. The symptoms you describe also can be undiagnosed thyroid issues which I've heard has the "space cadet" effect too.

Thanks again for such a generous response. 

It's actually my fifth day on piracetam and aniracetam; the reason I'm stacking both is because they seem to be touted for verbal fluency/ communication skills. The first four days I noticed nothing. Then I woke up this morning after a night of heavy drinking, and wow. The subtle mental clarity is very obvious. On the drive home I just felt very clear. My vision was subtly sharper, and it felt like my brain just wasn't working as hard as it usually does. Keep in mind this is after a night of heavy drinking, which would usually leave me feeling foggy and spacey. I can't say with certainty whether this sensation has or will help my speaking, but my gut feeling right now is that it will. It feels kind of like words just flow out of my mouth without too much effort. 

I'm very new to the area of nootropics and brain health, but logically it makes sense to me now that overall brain function would correlate with high verbal fluency. Maybe not, as fluency doesn't = intelligence or correctness. But before it was as if my brain really had to strain and "work" to speak clearly and influentially, i.e. eliciting the response you desire in others. Now I'm in a higher gear or something. 

I will say, however, that this sense of clarity could have been caused by the joint I smoked last night before sleep. I have a friend who claims that after smoking a little weed, he's very sharp and on the ball the next day. I kind of see what he means now IF this feeling was caused by the weed. It's possible. But I'd say it's the piracetam/ aniracetam. 

#45 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

^ That is correct. Performance does not equate ultimate intelligence or problem solving abilities. Somebody who takes longer to answer a question doesn't mean that person is more stupid, but since we are talking about charisma here, the reactive speed on the surface is what creates the illusion of charisma and that is more of a performance related quirk I would think. Personally I do not judge others on reactive/recall speed, but it seems most people do.

Of course this thread could be about how to talk in depth about a particular topic, I tend to think of intelligence and articulation as two very different things. Most people here don't seem stupid, what they may lack is the ability to express that depth.

People who react slowly are going to look stupid and blank (to most people anyways), but it doesn't mean they are actually stupid. The speed of communication is no different to the performance of a basketball player. Social interaction is like traffic control.

About the clarity that could just be because there is a rebound in glutamate release on the day after an alchohol binge, of course it could be your piracetam and aniracetam is finally kicking in too.

#46 Aurel

• 184 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

Thanks Ekscentra, you made me quite interested in some of the stuff you mentionend.

#47 drkenta

• 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:42 AM

I hope I'm not too late to the party. 

I strongly relate to pheanix997 in terms of the speech issues and minor social anxiety.

Only recently have I really had the desire to tackle this issue. I'm 26 now and most of my life I was oblivious to the issue or ignored it. I've never been assessed or diagnosed with mental diseases.

There are two aspects of it: the speech problem and the social anxiety. I've had both growing up but my social anxiety was little-to-none most of my life. Only recently as I've realised how my speech sounds to others and that I'm shy around new people, has the anxiety worsened to a debilitating level.

My speech issues are identical to that of pheanix997. It's as if theres a brick wall between my thoughts and my voice and hardly any words get through. Being self-conscious of it worsens it as do certain situations and people I attach an anxiety to (new people, group situations, etc) where I tend to become closed off and quiet. Even talking to acquaintances or familiar work colleagues, my sentences are broken, slow, mumbly and full of pauses in the wrong spots where I struggled to find the right word. As a result, I have stopped attempting to say anything longer than a few words. My responses are never longer than 1 or 2 words and I speak as little as possible in word count and even drop many words and sentence endings and leave it up to the listener to finish it off.

Sometimes people would say a funny remark or joke to me, waiting for a response and I would simply just smile and say nothing. My mind becomes flooded with worries and I would have nothing to respond with. If I feel brave enough I would respond with something half-baked and it would sound so awkward, reinforcing my anxiety. I work as a professional in a setting where I speak to customers face-to-face all day. I feel comfortable speaking within my role, discussing professional matters, but when the conversation becomes personal or casual, I suddenly feel anxious and cannot think of anything to respond with.

I even went on a solo round-the-world backpacking trip for a year, staying in hostels where I slept side by side with 6-10 people. I hoped my exposure to new people would naturally fix my problem but it hasn't. I pushed myself to meet new people on the trip and I did. I was far from being the awkward loner in the corner. I met hundreds of people and made some good friends, but I still face the same anxiety when I meet new people.

It feels like when I was younger, ignorant of the issue, I felt a lot better emotionally. It seems like the anxiety has actually worsened over the last couple of months because I am thinking about it more and more. Now that I have realised that this problem exists and am facing it head-on, my self-awareness of it makes it even worse. It's as if the anxiety and speech issues reinforce each other in a positive-feedback loop.

I am now at the stage where I need to improve my speech skills for business and to open new pathways in life so it can no longer be ignored. I've come to a point where the one thing limiting my progress in life is this. I've somehow managed to get to where I am.

I will definitely give a try of NoFap and Dual N Back as suggested by Arjuna and try to read out loud everyday from good works of literature to improve my vocal skills.

I'm just hoping to get this thread revived for further and deeper discussion of exercises one can use (as opposed to supplements).

#48 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

I hope I'm not too late to the party. 

I strongly relate to pheanix997 in terms of the speech issues and minor social anxiety.

Only recently have I really had the desire to tackle this issue. I'm 26 now and most of my life I was oblivious to the issue or ignored it. I've never been assessed or diagnosed with mental diseases.

There are two aspects of it: the speech problem and the social anxiety. I've had both growing up but my social anxiety was little-to-none most of my life. Only recently as I've realised how my speech sounds to others and that I'm shy around new people, has the anxiety worsened to a debilitating level.

My speech issues are identical to that of pheanix997. It's as if theres a brick wall between my thoughts and my voice and hardly any words get through. Being self-conscious of it worsens it as do certain situations and people I attach an anxiety to (new people, group situations, etc) where I tend to become closed off and quiet. Even talking to acquaintances or familiar work colleagues, my sentences are broken, slow, mumbly and full of pauses in the wrong spots where I struggled to find the right word. As a result, I have stopped attempting to say anything longer than a few words. My responses are never longer than 1 or 2 words and I speak as little as possible in word count and even drop many words and sentence endings and leave it up to the listener to finish it off.

Sometimes people would say a funny remark or joke to me, waiting for a response and I would simply just smile and say nothing. My mind becomes flooded with worries and I would have nothing to respond with. If I feel brave enough I would respond with something half-baked and it would sound so awkward, reinforcing my anxiety. I work as a professional in a setting where I speak to customers face-to-face all day. I feel comfortable speaking within my role, discussing professional matters, but when the conversation becomes personal or casual, I suddenly feel anxious and cannot think of anything to respond with.

I even went on a solo round-the-world backpacking trip for a year, staying in hostels where I slept side by side with 6-10 people. I hoped my exposure to new people would naturally fix my problem but it hasn't. I pushed myself to meet new people on the trip and I did. I was far from being the awkward loner in the corner. I met hundreds of people and made some good friends, but I still face the same anxiety when I meet new people.

It feels like when I was younger, ignorant of the issue, I felt a lot better emotionally. It seems like the anxiety has actually worsened over the last couple of months because I am thinking about it more and more. Now that I have realised that this problem exists and am facing it head-on, my self-awareness of it makes it even worse. It's as if the anxiety and speech issues reinforce each other in a positive-feedback loop.

I am now at the stage where I need to improve my speech skills for business and to open new pathways in life so it can no longer be ignored. I've come to a point where the one thing limiting my progress in life is this. I've somehow managed to get to where I am.

I will definitely give a try of NoFap and Dual N Back as suggested by Arjuna and try to read out loud everyday from good works of literature to improve my vocal skills.

I'm just hoping to get this thread revived for further and deeper discussion of exercises one can use (as opposed to supplements).

I do not know if you have tried it, but it might be worth reading a good book on self assertiveness (not one of the poppy ones), which is a powerful tool, I believe.

In my opinion, it is a revelatory field. In particular, it shows how we can use routine forms of words to have the best effect. For example, using a person's name when you speak to them makes a huge difference to how well you communicate with them. To start with, you could even learn some stock phrases and rejoinders which, far from coming over as automatic, would help oil your social interactions. For instance, a follow up question like "And you?"/"What about you?" can have a magical effect in improving a conversation.

Edited by Gerrans, 25 August 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#49 drkenta

• 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

I do not know if you have tried it, but it might be worth reading a good book on self assertiveness (not one of the poppy ones), which is a powerful tool, I believe.

In my opinion, it is a revelatory field. In particular, it shows how we can use routine forms of words to have the best effect. For example, using a person's name when you speak to them makes a huge difference to how well you communicate with them. To start with, you could even learn some stock phrases and rejoinders which, far from coming over as automatic, would help oil your social interactions. For instance, a follow up question like "And you?"/"What about you?" can have a magical effect in improving a conversation.

I've not come across a book like that.

I've read a few books on speech and vocalisation and some articles and videos. I've tried to smile more which has helped (especially if the smile is genuine).

At the moment I'm trying to work on my mindset when approaching new people. It seems like I come from a fear standpoint so I must look scared and wanting to leave. But I'm trying to imagine good outcomes and scenarios and think of all the positive reasons for why I should talk to people.

I feel like sometimes I can get a conversation started well on a comfortable rapport, but as the conversation continues I become more and more self-conscious and I think it shows, and the person I'm talking to notices this and the conversation becomes awkward. I'm working on that also.

If you can suggest any specific books, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

#50 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:38 PM

The best book I read on this subject was called Assertiveness at Work by Ken Black and Kate Black. I liked it because it was professional and did not contain any waffle. It is an old book now, so I do not know if you could find it. If you are interested in it and cannot get hold of a copy, message me, and I will send you mine, if you like.

• Informative x 1

#51 Aurel

• 184 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

Sometimes a good "wingman" could do wonders. You know the guy who actually introduces people to each other and sets them on a topic which they are both interested in and helps out if the conversation stops. Has to be someone who can take himself back.

#52 qnrqzh

• 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:19 AM

I think Piracetam improved my verbal fluency. 

My dosage was 1200-2400mg daily, sometimes with choline. Usually the effect was noticable 1,5h after taking it.

Overall i don't like Piracetam because it is killing my motivation when taking it for some days...

#53 brookmesfin

• 18 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:11 PM

Hey pheanix997, I hope you see this message because I have the perfect book for you to read and internalize. Its called Understand & Controlling Stutterring A Comphrensive New Approach Based on the Valsalva Hypothesis. It will fix any speech problems that you have that do not stem from physical injuries and/or deformities such as an excessively long tongue, brain trauma that effects the parts of the brain that affect speech or a lot of missing teeth. 

The main theory behind the book is that stutterers, because they are anxious when they speak (due to past stuttering expierences), "try hard" to push the words out. This act of trying hard, causes the valsalva system to activate. The valsalva system is a system of air passage ways that go from your lips and mouth to your larynx, to your stomach and finally to your rectum. When you "try hard" to do something you stiffen your body by activating valsalva system to pressurize the air in your body. When this happens, your larynx can not vibrate and allow sound to be produced. When you do this for years and years, it causes a neural pathway to form where you subconsciously activate the valsalva system when you are about to enter a speaking situation, especially ones that make more nervous than usual such as saying words that you know you have issues with, talking to pretty girls and/or speaking in front of an audience. 

The author of this book was stutterer until he was in his mid twenties, he became so frustrated with stutterring that he started to study neurology and speech to see if he could discover a way to cure himself, after a few years he discovered the previously mentioned neural pathway between the valsalva mechanism and speech mechanisms. He has since become a very successful trial lawyer and will probably soon be regarded as a genius in the field of speech therapy, or at least I think he should. There is more to it then what I have said, but this book has fixed whatever trace of stuttering I had, and it also does a good job of politely showing how idiotic all previous forms of speech therapy are, it'll make you laugh at how "experts" who have never stuttered talk so highly of their treatments which usually ultimately fail.

Let me know if you have any questions, if any stutterer that is reading this post is on the fence, trust me this book is what you have been looking for. 

• Informative x 1

#54 Dan1976

• 49 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

The problems that the original poster (pheaniux997) has are probably just psychologic.

Social anxiety (= fear of people) can produce these effects. And then the social anxiety gets reinforced.

I used to have similar problems, worked to fix them for a few years and then succeeded. I recommend the following:

Medication

If you have thyroid, adrenal fatigue, high blood pressure or chronic fatigue problems, work to solve them. Having any of these problems can be very crippling when socializing - they rob you of your energy and you feel you can't muster enough energy to go our or to talk to people. It's the same if you have an untreated eye problem - squinting when talking to someone can take away your concentration.

Specific meds for helping with social anxiety:

1. Idebenone, 600 mg an hour before having to interact with people. The effect can be amazing.

2. Zoloft (sertraline) is an antidepressant which works for social anxiety. If you have depression and get treated everything will seem easier.

3. Inositol, in large doses (12 g or so) can kill anxiety. Unfortunately can also produce brain fog. When on inositol, even the people I have seem nice. :)

3. Tyrosine, sulbutiamine - they both act on dopamine and can make you feel good and be more social. Take them before going out because they tend to "lose their magic" after you use them a few times (and then you have to take a break).

4. Noopept - excellent russian nootropic, can reduce anxiety. Get the dosage right - too much can make you sleepy, etc.

5. Phenylpiracetam - another excellent nootropic. Highly stimulating.

Behavior

It is very important to get that social anxiety problem fixed. Meds are NOT enough to do this, you must exercise constantly.

It's good to use meds, but it's not good to rely only on meds (if you do that, you'll only be able to socialize when you take 10 supplements or something - which is not ok).

I have a friend who works a lot. He often comes to the bar after a night of works and I can see he's beaten by work and very very tired. In spite of this he is very fluent, tells us interesting stories, etc. Why is that? Exercise! Constantly practiced social skills!

1. Whenever you are alone (for example: in the car, on your way to work, or at home) pick a theme and speak about it. Try to speak as fluently and as correctly as you can, but don't worry if you stutter and make mistakes. In time, this will improve. Some themes can be: a story from my life, a joke, a funny story, your opinion or something.

Try to pick themes people are interested in socially - no scientific, technical, philosophical or complex stuff.

In a few months this will build your capacity of telling stories. When you tell the story about that time when you went bungee jumping and stuff, guess what - you will already have told that story 5 times, alone in your car. Because of this, many choices such as which words to use will be made automatically, without you having to think about it.

Rehearse your own life stories, opinions, etc.

2. Practice being interested in others and in what they say. Don't assume you know everything. Ask questions and try to really understand the details that the person is saying. This can help you socially a lot.

You have to learn to strike a balance between talking about general issues, talking about yourself and talking about other people.

3. Try to strike conversations every day.

You filled your car with gas, have some spare time and the gas station clerk isn't busy? Talk to him for 10-15 minutes. Ask questions, make smalltalk.

You bought something and the (opposite sex) clerk looks nice? After paying for what your stuff, smile and pay her a compliment. Say "your earrings look nice" or something like that.

4. Try to socialize regularly. Go to meetings, gatherings, etc. Act normal, enjoy people.

Enjoying the company of other people is the most important social skill. Once you can do that, it will be a lot easier to build the other skills such as conversation.

5. Visit a good psychologist. Change psychologists until you find one you like.

If you want fast change, hypnosis is the way to go. For a demo, try "Self Esteem Supercharger" by Paul Scheele for a few days.

Edited by Dan1976, 29 August 2014 - 07:42 AM.

• Informative x 3

#55 drkenta

• 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

The best book I read on this subject was called Assertiveness at Work by Ken Black and Kate Black. I liked it because it was professional and did not contain any waffle. It is an old book now, so I do not know if you could find it. If you are interested in it and cannot get hold of a copy, message me, and I will send you mine, if you like.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered the book after looking through the table of contents. Definitely looks like it's full of quality content and no fluff.

called Understand & Controlling Stutterring A Comphrensive New Approach Based on the Valsalva Hypothesis. It will fix any speech problems that you have that do not stem from physical injuries and/or deformities such as an excessively long tongue, brain trauma that effects the parts of the brain that affect speech or a lot of missing teeth.

Thanks for the suggestion. A hard-to-find book but I got myself a copy. Can't wait to have a read of it.

I used to have similar problems, worked to fix them for a few years and then succeeded. I recommend the following:

Thanks for the quality info. Just a question: do the medications help long-term or are they just to alleviate the pain in the short term while working on the behavioural side of things?

#56 Haray

• 9 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

The problems that the original poster (pheaniux997) has are probably just psychologic.

Social anxiety (= fear of people) can produce these effects. And then the social anxiety gets reinforced.

Medication

If you have thyroid, adrenal fatigue, high blood pressure or chronic fatigue problems, work to solve them. Having any of these problems can be very crippling when socializing - they rob you of your energy and you feel you can't muster enough energy to go our or to talk to people. It's the same if you have an untreated eye problem - squinting when talking to someone can take away your concentration.

Specific meds for helping with social anxiety:

1. Idebenone, 600 mg an hour before having to interact with people. The effect can be amazing.

2. Zoloft (sertraline) is an antidepressant which works for social anxiety. If you have depression and get treated everything will seem easier.

3. Inositol, in large doses (12 g or so) can kill anxiety. Unfortunately can also produce brain fog. When on inositol, even the people I have seem nice. :)

3. Tyrosine, sulbutiamine - they both act on dopamine and can make you feel good and be more social. Take them before going out because they tend to "lose their magic" after you use them a few times (and then you have to take a break).

4. Noopept - excellent russian nootropic, can reduce anxiety. Get the dosage right - too much can make you sleepy, etc.

5. Phenylpiracetam - another excellent nootropic. Highly stimulating.

Behavior

It is very important to get that social anxiety problem fixed. Meds are NOT enough to do this, you must exercise constantly.

It's good to use meds, but it's not good to rely only on meds (if you do that, you'll only be able to socialize when you take 10 supplements or something - which is not ok).

I have a friend who works a lot. He often comes to the bar after a night of works and I can see he's beaten by work and very very tired. In spite of this he is very fluent, tells us interesting stories, etc. Why is that? Exercise! Constantly practiced social skills!

1. Whenever you are alone (for example: in the car, on your way to work, or at home) pick a theme and speak about it. Try to speak as fluently and as correctly as you can, but don't worry if you stutter and make mistakes. In time, this will improve. Some themes can be: a story from my life, a joke, a funny story, your opinion or something.

Try to pick themes people are interested in socially - no scientific, technical, philosophical or complex stuff.

In a few months this will build your capacity of telling stories. When you tell the story about that time when you went bungee jumping and stuff, guess what - you will already have told that story 5 times, alone in your car. Because of this, many choices such as which words to use will be made automatically, without you having to think about it.

Rehearse your own life stories, opinions, etc.

2. Practice being interested in others and in what they say. Don't assume you know everything. Ask questions and try to really understand the details that the person is saying. This can help you socially a lot.

You have to learn to strike a balance between talking about general issues, talking about yourself and talking about other people.

3. Try to strike conversations every day.

You filled your car with gas, have some spare time and the gas station clerk isn't busy? Talk to him for 10-15 minutes. Ask questions, make smalltalk.

You bought something and the (opposite sex) clerk looks nice? After paying for what your stuff, smile and pay her a compliment. Say "your earrings look nice" or something like that.

4. Try to socialize regularly. Go to meetings, gatherings, etc. Act normal, enjoy people.

Enjoying the company of other people is the most important social skill. Once you can do that, it will be a lot easier to build the other skills such as conversation.

5. Visit a good psychologist. Change psychologists until you find one you like.

If you want fast change, hypnosis is the way to go. For a demo, try "Self Esteem Supercharger" by Paul Scheele for a few days.

wow great post.  you should write a book :)

• like x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Agree x 1

#57 pheanix997

• Topic Starter
  • 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:53 AM

Just wanted to update this thread with some new methods that have helped my speech and brainfog. I've been going to a chiropractor, and scans showed that my c1 area was severely inflamed. The c1 joint connects to the base of the skull, and sublaxation apparently produces symtpoms of brain fog, low overall brain function, difficulty concentrating, nervousness, etc. 

Lo and behold, chiropractic adjustment in this area (specifically where the spine connects to the base of the skull) has produced some results: I feel a little more clear headed, I'm not struggling as hard to find the right words (still happens obviously), and I also feel more balanced. Thought this might be worth mentioning. 

Since then I've done some research on the net about how chiro adjustments can help speech fluency and haven't really pulled up any supporting evidence - but there as one person who posted in a forum saying that work on his neck helped him. So there might be something to this. 

#58 spinner_1990

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:03 PM

Hello everyone,

first let me say that i am super happy that i stumbled upon this discussion, problems about which pheanix997 was talking about resonate strongly with my own story. Talking normally, in fluent, coherent and meaningful sentences simply seems impossible for me. Furthermore brain fog and inability to concentrate and remember stuff are some of the problems I am constantly dealing with. I have never seen a doc because of that but after reading a bit about the topic i am starting to suspect that I may have some sort of impairment in areas of working memory and executive functions and after reading this discussion i am starting to think that there may also be a problem with my dopamine levels.

Now I am looking for some remedy, ideally in a form of some exercise or technique. Above you  have been discussing about reading out loud. I am wondering if anyone tried that and what is their feedback. The same for noFap. 

Also for pheanix997, the book which you mentioned, The psychology of self esteem from Nathaniel Brandon, seems interesting. it's reviews on the Amazon are positive, loads of people recommend it as a must read. In the posts above you were pretty excited about it so i am wondering if you still think the same now, do you think it may be helpful when dealing with problems which aren't necessarily related only to self esteem?

#59 Blackkzeus

• 210 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:09 AM

I think you should read the book the Grain Brain. The book goes into detail about how eating an excess amount of carbs or being sensitive to certain types of carbs can lead to inflammation, which can cause cognitive issues like brain fog  You might be suffering from severe inflammation to the brain, from eating foods which your are sensitive to, such as gluten. I had problems with verbal fluidity, sustaining attention, apathy, and overall mental fatigue. I felt severely cognitively impaired, and I had no reason why. Turns out I was eating foods my body was sensitive, which caused inflammation. The same could be happening to you. If you can't find the book, check out self hacked.com and search curing brain fog in the search bar. It's a less in-depth explanation of how cognitive issues arise from our diets. The creator of the website explains what causes brain fog, and how you can treat it. It truly helped me. After altering my diet, I no longer suffer from mental fatigue, my verbal fluidity has increased ( it's not ideal but it seems like its getting better over time) and I feel much more capable mentally.

Edited by Ed Ntuk, 13 October 2014 - 02:46 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 pheanix997

• Topic Starter
  • 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:15 PM

I think you should read the book the Grain Brain. The book goes into detail about how eating an excess amount of carbs or being sensitive to certain types of carbs can lead to inflammation, which can cause cognitive issues like brain fog  You might be suffering from severe inflammation to the brain, from eating foods which your are sensitive to, such as gluten. I had problems with verbal fluidity, sustaining attention, apathy, and overall mental fatigue. I felt severely cognitively impaired, and I had no reason why. Turns out I was eating foods my body was sensitive, which caused inflammation. The same could be happening to you. If you can't find the book, check out self hacked.com and search curing brain fog in the search bar. It's a less in-depth explanation of how cognitive issues arise from our diets. The creator of the website explains what causes brain fog, and how you can treat it. It truly helped me. After altering my diet, I no longer suffer from mental fatigue, my verbal fluidity has increased ( it's not ideal but it seems like its getting better over time) and I feel much more capable mentally.

I'm realizing just how much my diet can be disturbing my mental clarity. I started another thread a while ago about waking up and feeling hungover, and after some research I came across something called auto brewery syndrome, which I think relates to overconsumption of grains and gut fermentation. So my interest in this area is peaking, and you recommended this book at the perfect time. Thanks! I would be so happy if cutting out gluten and most grains could eliminate my brain fog. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: the edge effect, acetylcholine, serotonin, speech difficult

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users