• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 pheanix997

• Topic Starter
  • 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:19 PM

Hello everyone,

first let me say that i am super happy that i stumbled upon this discussion, problems about which pheanix997 was talking about resonate strongly with my own story. Talking normally, in fluent, coherent and meaningful sentences simply seems impossible for me. Furthermore brain fog and inability to concentrate and remember stuff are some of the problems I am constantly dealing with. I have never seen a doc because of that but after reading a bit about the topic i am starting to suspect that I may have some sort of impairment in areas of working memory and executive functions and after reading this discussion i am starting to think that there may also be a problem with my dopamine levels.

Now I am looking for some remedy, ideally in a form of some exercise or technique. Above you  have been discussing about reading out loud. I am wondering if anyone tried that and what is their feedback. The same for noFap. 

Also for pheanix997, the book which you mentioned, The psychology of self esteem from Nathaniel Brandon, seems interesting. it's reviews on the Amazon are positive, loads of people recommend it as a must read. In the posts above you were pretty excited about it so i am wondering if you still think the same now, do you think it may be helpful when dealing with problems which aren't necessarily related only to self esteem?

The psychology of self-esteem is a great book. It's not even his best - I think 6 pillars of self-esteem is better. All his books are very good, though. Highly recommended. 

#62 spinner_1990

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:01 AM

Hey, 

have been trying out some of suggestions mentioned here and would like to give a report of how it's been going so far. Of course everything is super subjective but might still be interesting for some. 

NoFap - today is 39th day, i am aiming for 60 days. In the beginning it was pretty hard, especially during the nights, i would wake up around 3am and then not be able to fall back asleep for like an hour. Somehow that hasn't affected my energy levels during the days, quite on contrary, most of the time i have felt super alert and energetic, actually pretty hyperactive.  It kind of helped with my social anxiety, i would be talking more than before and in general just be more relaxed around people. I had sex last weekend and since then i am fortunately able to sleep again, high energy levels remain here though. I have to add that it did not help (too much) with my verbal fluency or concentration. It's more about not being too preoccupied with other people opinions and just go into action.

Reading out loud - another thing which i have been trying out on some mornings before i go to work. It seems to work in a sense that it 'warms up' muscles in your mouth. After doing that i usually find it easier to speak, in a way it feels like i don't have to exert as much control on what my mouth and tongue are doing. Also, I could say that my voice sounds more melodic. I have to add that it didn't always work. For example last week i was reading out loud three mornings and only two times i had a feeling that there was a perceivable effect. 

I got myself Nathaniel Brandon book, Psychology of self esteem and have to say that it's a great read, extremely interesting and useful. It helped me to understand some aspects of myself better and what can I do to improve them. Of course reading it was an intellectual challenge but also a great pleasure. 

Overall I have been seeing quite an improvement in aspects of social anxiety, still there is a long way to go, especially when it comes to concentration and brain fog. The main challenge now is finding a good way how to track progress, and how to separate the effects of different treatments. Also I am becoming aware of how easy it is to get used to new improvements and forget only a couple days later what a huge step forward they were. But i think that is in general a problem when it comes to self experimenting, it's hard to be objective when it comes to remembering past psychological/emotional states, especially if they have been substantially different from the current ones. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 Anewlife

• 210 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:32 PM

Lots of socialization, bantering, joining a grammatically anal retentive forum such as whirlpool.net.au

You need to socialize in a big group that can apply some pressure.

I've been through this and it takes a lot of work, the key is to find the right people who aren't afraid to criticize you, your vocabulary and your ability to articulate quickly.

#64 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:39 AM

wow interresting

#65 magta39

• 131 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:11 AM

One thing that helped me in this regard is piracetam which must be taken with a choline source. The other advice in this thread is good too but its hard when you are struggling with what may be a biochemical problem. I found it increased my verbal fluency a lot. This in turn gave me more confidence because instead of worrying that I won't think of the right thing to say, I was talking almost with no effort. Its a feedback loop, speaking more fluently gives confidence which makes you more fluent. Then do the public speaking and so on and watch the miracle happen.

No tolerance developed from the Piracetam? It continues to work? 

Unfortunately, choline gives me brain fog and makes me tired and irritable. 

On a side note, I think Lion's Mane has helped my speech very marginally.

I also think that there're two faucets to poor verbal fluency:

1. anxiety (blocks thinking; fixed with SSRI - at least for me) 

2. brain fog/ sluggishness (poor word recall and not enough mental clarity to string fluent sentences together; haven't yet found the solution here, though NoFap has produced noticeable benefits in this regard. Perhaps Modafinil, piracetam, or some other dopaminergic will help here. Any other suggestions?) 

Yes, it continued to work. I know piracetam by itself gives brain fog in some people which is fixed by taking choline. Perhaps the same is true for choline? Aniracetam is another good racetam which helps many people. I would give one or both a try.

Piracetam works well for me without choline, I eat one egg every day but choline supps cause me anxiety and brain fog

#66 magta39

• 131 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:25 AM

I have some personal anecdotal evidence that too much artificial sweeteners can cause brain fog, anyone else notice this?

#67 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:24 PM

I have some personal anecdotal evidence that too much artificial sweeteners can cause brain fog, anyone else notice this?

Perhaps its because when you replace sugar with artificial sugar, your body is not used to dealing with lower sugar levels, it takes some time before the body adjusts to changes in diet maybe a few days to a few weeks at least for your liver to change its production matrix, this is because insulin resistance does not develop over night. Unfortunately if you want to lower insulin tolerance for good, you need to stay low sugar for your entire diet with only spikes everynow and then.

#68 nickthird

• 249 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

There are two main possible problems with verbal fluency that I am aware of.

(1) Performance anxiety, which Propranolol is indicated for.

(2) Verbal performance. The only thing I heard that may work for is an (AChE)-inhibitor. Specifically Memantine and Galantamine.

Sorry no sources in my bookmarks, generally I think the term for this problem is Alogia or Aphasia. There have also been studies showing that some tricyclic antidepressants may help with this, but the quality of the ones that I saw was not impressive.

• like x 2

#69 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:47 PM

There's one smart drug that is praised more than any other for improving verbal intelligence fast... Piracetam.

There's a popular stack Alphabrain that's also very good for verbal intelligence and unlocking your vocabulary.

Also nofab, great all around idea, Piracetam improves willpower so it will help with nofabbing.

#70 pheanix997

• Topic Starter
  • 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:55 PM

Just wanted to give an update, 

So the poster named Arjuna had suggested that dopamine could have been the culprit in affecting my speech, and it turns out he's probably right. I was recently diagnosed with inattentive add (pretty severe) and adderall has been helping very much.

On adderall, my brain doesn't feel overloaded when I'm speaking, like I'm losing fuel every time I open my mouth. This leaves more energy for proper articulation. In terms of fluency, my general recall of words and structure of sentences is much cleaner and smoother. Words just flow better. My subtle stammering, backtracking, etc. has also reduced. Not a panacea but it definitely helps.

#71 Arjuna

• 130 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:23 PM

Hey I read this thread over again. What a weird tone of speech I used in my old comment.

Anyway, let me tell you this... As someone who had taken Dopamine reuptake inhibitors like adderall and ritalin for over a decade, it is only a temporary band aid, and you pay for it in the long run.

Here is a solution: http://www.reuniting.../0.BENEFITS.pdf

#72 Arjuna

• 130 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:25 PM

And the best thing I've found for ADHD is Zinc, Magnesium, Multivitamin, and triglyceride Omega 3.

#73 pheanix997

• Topic Starter
  • 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:59 AM

Hey I read this thread over again. What a weird tone of speech I used in my old comment.

Anyway, let me tell you this... As someone who had taken Dopamine reuptake inhibitors like adderall and ritalin for over a decade, it is only a temporary band aid, and you pay for it in the long run.

The only thing I got from your tone was that you were trying to be helpful, and you were. 

#74 pheanix997

• Topic Starter
  • 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:06 AM

How do you pay for it? Are you 100% sure you were objectively worse off post-treatment than when you started?

And did you take them for diagnosed ADHD? My hunch is that it will improve cognitive function long-term in people who need it, whose reward circuits have not been properly awakened, and damage those who don't actually need it, i.e. neurotypicals looking for an edge. 

Edited by pheanix997, 25 August 2015 - 03:41 AM.

#75 Arjuna

• 130 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:55 AM

It isn't better or worse exactly, a dopamine reuptake inhibitor is subject to homeostasis. As you artificially raise dopamine signaling the receptors will decline. Just like people take caffeine and it picks them up, eventually it loses effect and they take it just to be normal at baseline. Use Ritalin or Adderall just like any hard drug, sparingly, because it is one.

Meanwhile look for long term solutions. A majority of people in developed nations eating processed foods from depleted soils have deficiencies in omega 3 fatty acids and magnesium, both of which have tons of evidence in improving all brain function, especially in ADHD.

Try to treat the causes, not the symptoms, because the Dr.s will never help you there, unless you luck out with a progressive, nutrition oriented practitioner.

There is a lot to write about here, so at this point I'll just fire off some random key points without organization. Zinc is a natural dopamine retake inhibitor, and has been found to be effective in ADHD and autism. Magnesium is a NMDA antagonist, which can prevent dopamine receptor decline. Getting these in bio available forms are crucial. Our diets have next to no fiber, which pushes out the balance in out gut flora, and increases our entire body's inflammation, which drops down growth hormones in the brain that maintain neuron firing.

If the dopamine reputable inhibitor works for you, then good, take it in a small dose. If it stops working DO NOT increase the dose. That is called drug addiction, just the guy in the white coat won't tell you.

#76 Ekscentra

• 36 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:29 PM

And the best thing I've found for ADHD is Zinc, Magnesium, Multivitamin, and triglyceride Omega 3.

Not to discount your opinion, just offering a different perspective.

As someone with diagnosed ADD, use of these supplements has offered mild relief at best. Rather, I find Magnesium (Citrate in my case, typically 150mg and up to 450mg), Zinc, Krill Oil, and a multivitamin (LEF) serve as a great foundation to allow everything else in my stack to work in the most efficient possible manner. They're certainly worthwhile to take, but they won't necessarily offer relief for all users.

I haven't personally found anything that has replaced D-Amphetamine IR for me, but N-acetyl Semax Amidate has resulted in the greatest overall relief of ADD/ADHD symptoms, in my experience. The first dose felt like a sort of "flow state," completely in the moment, no distractions. Every dose since has been subtler, yet no less significant. The flow state is apparently weaker than it once was, and one must put a bit more conscious effort into maintaining awareness, but it's far better than being on nothing at all. I feel NASA has served as a replacement for Modafinil and Hydrafinil, for all intents and purposes, but it has not done the same for D-Amp IR. NASA has offered noticeable, but not complete, relief of my insomnia symptoms (sleep-onset insomnia) and has improved sleep quality as well. The relief is to the point where, so long as I don't take amphetamines too late in the day, I can get to sleep in a reasonable amount of time with 1.5g L-Tryptophan and 300mcg Melatonin alone.

The most significant stack for my ADD symptoms (without the use of amphetamines), with somewhat limited testing so far, has been:

600mcg N-acetyl Semax Amidate

20mg Unifiram, redosing once every 3-4 hours

30mg Coluracetam, redosing once every 3-4 hours

30mg PRL-8-53

200mcg Methylene Blue, redosing once every 3-4 hours

600mg Krill Oil (Nature Made)

1 LEF Multivitamin

150mg Magnesium Citrate

My supply of most of these substances (with the exception of MB) is somewhat limited, so I haven't been testing this stack every day. I intend to do just this at some point in the future. Safety is not well-established for all of these substances - use at your own discretion.

Upcoming tests include Nascent Iodine (Detoxadine), BCM-95 Curcumin (LEF), and ORMUS from TibetanGold. I expect big things from these three, and that last one is especially interesting. After hearing great things about ORMUS from a few whose opinions I trust, I decided to give it a shot, despite the claims that it's no more than a scam. I've yet to see any reports on this substance, or (more accurately) category of substances on these boards, though it's been mentioned at least once.

#77 pheanix997

• Topic Starter
  • 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:13 AM

As someone with diagnosed ADD, use of these supplements has offered mild relief at best. Rather, I find Magnesium (Citrate in my case, typically 150mg and up to 450mg), Zinc, Krill Oil, and a multivitamin (LEF) serve as a great foundation to allow everything else in my stack to work in the most efficient possible manner. They're certainly worthwhile to take, but they won't necessarily offer relief for all users.

I haven't personally found anything that has replaced D-Amphetamine IR for me, but N-acetyl Semax Amidate has resulted in the greatest overall relief of ADD/ADHD symptoms, in my experience. The first dose felt like a sort of "flow state," completely in the moment, no distractions. Every dose since has been subtler, yet no less significant. The flow state is apparently weaker than it once was, and one must put a bit more conscious effort into maintaining awareness, but it's far better than being on nothing at all. I feel NASA has served as a replacement for Modafinil and Hydrafinil, for all intents and purposes, but it has not done the same for D-Amp IR. NASA has offered noticeable, but not complete, relief of my insomnia symptoms (sleep-onset insomnia) and has improved sleep quality as well. The relief is to the point where, so long as I don't take amphetamines too late in the day, I can get to sleep in a reasonable amount of time with 1.5g L-Tryptophan and 300mcg Melatonin alone.

The most significant stack for my ADD symptoms (without the use of amphetamines), with somewhat limited testing so far, has been:

30mg PRL-8-53

1 LEF Multivitamin

150mg Magnesium Citrate

My supply of most of these substances (with the exception of MB) is somewhat limited, so I haven't been testing this stack every day. I intend to do just this at some point in the future. Safety is not well-established for all of these substances - use at your own discretion.

Upcoming tests include Nascent Iodine (Detoxadine), BCM-95 Curcumin (LEF), and ORMUS from TibetanGold. I expect big things from these three, and that last one is especially interesting. After hearing great things about ORMUS from a few whose opinions I trust, I decided to give it a shot, despite the claims that it's no more than a scam. I've yet to see any reports on this substance, or (more accurately) category of substances on these boards, though it's been mentioned at least once.

Personally, I've tried it all... PRN omega 3's, magnesium citrate, b-vitmans, multi's, zinc... then the nootropics: piracetam, colouracetam, noopept, aniracetam, lion's mane (gave most ADD relief out of everything else, seemed to ground me and give me mental clarity, but it proved to be too inconsistent).... and after trying all these, I have to say adderall (and concerta for a brief initial period) produces by far the most improvement in ADD symptoms, especially mental wakefulness, which I've struggled with my whole life. Now this is stating the obvious as it's a potent pharmaceutical, but my point is that the benefit that I've received from adderall is akin to a life-changing experience, so even though it could potentially be much more harmful long-term, it logically seems worth it.

Anyway this is off topic haha... I just wanted readers to know that ADHD can cause speech issues in many forms, in fact from some anecdotal research I've done it seems that they almost go hand-in-hand. 

Edited by pheanix997, 26 August 2015 - 03:15 AM.

#78 Arjuna

• 130 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:59 AM

Yeah you guys make great points, I'm definitely biased because I have a history of overusing those pharmaceuticals. The problem is when the drugs let us push through symptoms from bigger health issues, but I agree with the merit of using the drugs in cases.

#79 Ekscentra

• 36 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:08 PM

30mg PRL-8-53

1 LEF Multivitamin

150mg Magnesium Citrate

Personally, I've tried it all... PRN omega 3's, magnesium citrate, b-vitmans, multi's, zinc... then the nootropics: piracetam, colouracetam, noopept, aniracetam, lion's mane (gave most ADD relief out of everything else, seemed to ground me and give me mental clarity, but it proved to be too inconsistent).... and after trying all these, I have to say adderall (and concerta for a brief initial period) produces by far the most improvement in ADD symptoms, especially mental wakefulness, which I've struggled with my whole life. Now this is stating the obvious as it's a potent pharmaceutical, but my point is that the benefit that I've received from adderall is akin to a life-changing experience, so even though it could potentially be much more harmful long-term, it logically seems worth it.

Anyway this is off topic haha... I just wanted readers to know that ADHD can cause speech issues in many forms, in fact from some anecdotal research I've done it seems that they almost go hand-in-hand. 

While I agree amphetamines are still irreplaceable for the moment, I'd strongly recommend taking a look at N-acetyl Semax Amidate. It's incredible stuff, and the only substance whose overall symptom relief has compared to amphetamines, in my experience - but again, it's no amphetamine replacement.

And, while not of the same nature as Propranolol, which I also take on a regular basis, N-acetyl Semax has markedly improved verbal fluency and precision, more than any other "nootropic" substance I've tried. I intend to test Galantamine at some later point in time, given its potential in this area.

#80 pheanix997

• Topic Starter
  • 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:01 AM

30mg PRL-8-53

1 LEF Multivitamin

150mg Magnesium Citrate

While I agree amphetamines are still irreplaceable for the moment, I'd strongly recommend taking a look at N-acetyl Semax Amidate. It's incredible stuff, and the only substance whose overall symptom relief has compared to amphetamines, in my experience - but again, it's no amphetamine replacement.

And, while not of the same nature as Propranolol, which I also take on a regular basis, N-acetyl Semax has markedly improved verbal fluency and precision, more than any other "nootropic" substance I've tried. I intend to test Galantamine at some later point in time, given its potential in this area.

Thanks for recommending that... I will try it out sometime, maybe if I run into problems with the adderall. 

#81 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:26 AM

Piracetam, acute but not chronic.

Bacopa, chronic but not acute.

Exercise, and reading haughty authors: Nietzsche, Russell, Swift, Shakespeare, etc.

#82 123apk

• 66 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

I have the same problem. I had a speech problem as a kid and then got social anxiety as a teenager.
Most days I think I talk fine now, but I'm still quiet even when I'm not "feeling quiet", probably from years of social anxiety. Other days when I haven't had much sleep or have an imbalance of something in the brain I can be quite hard to understand.

What I've noticed with neurotransmitters and supplements and talking is this -

*Gabaergics can help by taking away any anxieties and overactive thoughts that go into talking. But dose too heavily (and it's a fine line) and they make it worse, like you can know in your brain what you're saying but the words come out kind of slurred and formed wrong. This is probably from it blocking a neurotransmitter too much, I suspect dopamine.

*Aniracetam and so probably those drugs that rely on choline have the same effect as too much GABA but too a much greater extent. This was the only thing I got from Aniracetam and it's bad, if I take some I'll still not be able to talk properly the day after.

*Dopamine - when my dopamine levels are high I talk louder, more clearly and forcefully and can actually be very coherent and normal. I use tyrosine a few days a week. I'm not sure if precursors build tolerance or not because the brain will perhaps only be taking what it needs, but when I ran out for a few months before I did notice. My appetite went through the roof and it my brain sought out meat and Tyrosine rich foods to make up the deficit. So it probably does have a bit of tolerance but it's probably small enough to handle. I mean I could handle it from eating.

Not talking but related - for some reason alcohol makes me very, very good at writing and thinking of stuff to say. Like when I'm tipsy if I'm messaging someone I can easily send them paragraphs like these. I don't understand what neurotransmitters its working on to do this but I don't think it's GABA.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#83 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:08 AM

I have the same problem. I had a speech problem as a kid and then got social anxiety as a teenager.
Most days I think I talk fine now, but I'm still quiet even when I'm not "feeling quiet", probably from years of social anxiety. Other days when I haven't had much sleep or have an imbalance of something in the brain I can be quite hard to understand.

What I've noticed with neurotransmitters and supplements and talking is this -

*Gabaergics can help by taking away any anxieties and overactive thoughts that go into talking. But dose too heavily (and it's a fine line) and they make it worse, like you can know in your brain what you're saying but the words come out kind of slurred and formed wrong. This is probably from it blocking a neurotransmitter too much, I suspect dopamine.

*Aniracetam and so probably those drugs that rely on choline have the same effect as too much GABA but too a much greater extent. This was the only thing I got from Aniracetam and it's bad, if I take some I'll still not be able to talk properly the day after.

*Dopamine - when my dopamine levels are high I talk louder, more clearly and forcefully and can actually be very coherent and normal. I use tyrosine a few days a week. I'm not sure if precursors build tolerance or not because the brain will perhaps only be taking what it needs, but when I ran out for a few months before I did notice. My appetite went through the roof and it my brain sought out meat and Tyrosine rich foods to make up the deficit. So it probably does have a bit of tolerance but it's probably small enough to handle. I mean I could handle it from eating.

Not talking but related - for some reason alcohol makes me very, very good at writing and thinking of stuff to say. Like when I'm tipsy if I'm messaging someone I can easily send them paragraphs like these. I don't understand what neurotransmitters its working on to do this but I don't think it's GABA.

I have speech and verbal issues too, add low motivation and anxiety and depression to that. My research and experience with almost all non prescription supplements under the sun is telling me that verbal fluency and memory disorders are caused by excess dopamine, low acetycholine, low glutamate, low histamine, and possibly low gaba. The big problem is that it's extremely hard to balance these out because what increases one lowers the other. For example, taking choline precursors will increase ach but will decrease histamine, serotonin and possible gaba. So it's an art to balance these bad boys. I'm still fighting the fight, I think I'm almost there tho.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: the edge effect, acetylcholine, serotonin, speech difficult

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users