• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Pregnenolone: A neurosteroid and one of the most promising compounds I have found.

pregnenolone neurosteroid neurogenesis myelination allopregnanolone apoptosis neuroprotective

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:20 AM

I got my pregnenolone (Source Natural Brand) tablets today. 50mg Tablets.

Me and a friend split one and went to the bar. He never really takes supps but I had it on me and showed him and he was interested in trying it out. While driving there we felt something noticable coming on within 15 minutes. A sort of clear-headed energy. It was definitely easier to form more complicated and complete thoughts. Fluid Memory noticeably enhanced. Stopped being noticable when we started to drink though. Later in the evening I decided to take a whole 50mg one for myself, considering it is my first day. Within another 15 minutes I felt the clear headedness coming on.

This could be what I was looking for all along. My diet has never been good so it is likely I was deficient in some hormones. Quite a pleasant experience. Lets see how this continues. I will likely continue taking 25mg per day.

Approximately how old are you?

#32 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:51 AM

Do. Not. Take. Too. Much.

You could temporarily shut down your endogenous production of Pregnenolone and cause your body to go a bit haywire. Also, you invite acne and tolerance.

Edited by Jeoshua, 13 April 2014 - 01:51 AM.

• Ill informed x 2
  • Needs references x 1

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#33 Absent

• 492 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:08 AM

I got my pregnenolone (Source Natural Brand) tablets today. 50mg Tablets.

Me and a friend split one and went to the bar. He never really takes supps but I had it on me and showed him and he was interested in trying it out. While driving there we felt something noticable coming on within 15 minutes. A sort of clear-headed energy. It was definitely easier to form more complicated and complete thoughts. Fluid Memory noticeably enhanced. Stopped being noticable when we started to drink though. Later in the evening I decided to take a whole 50mg one for myself, considering it is my first day. Within another 15 minutes I felt the clear headedness coming on.

This could be what I was looking for all along. My diet has never been good so it is likely I was deficient in some hormones. Quite a pleasant experience. Lets see how this continues. I will likely continue taking 25mg per day.

Approximately how old are you?

I'm in my low-mid 20's.

Do. Not. Take. Too. Much.

You could temporarily shut down your endogenous production of Pregnenolone and cause your body to go a bit haywire. Also, you invite acne and tolerance.

I don't plan to take it like a megadosing nootropic. I had purchased it planning on 20mg per day. I have always had symptoms of low hormone activity, dropping off drop my teens. Hopefully this pregnenolone will do me some good. I don't think this will be a problem. I don't have much of a problem with acne. I have a very meticulous routine for my skin health. 

I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water activated gel clenser. Then a honey almond body scrub. Then on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb mint facial mask, which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out, and makes you look old. Then moisturizer. Then an anti-aging eye balm followed by final moisturizing protective lotion.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#34 Absent

• 492 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:31 AM

Okay so I am on my second day of Pregnenolone... I must say, I simply feel amazing. Usually with each day I do not feel much of a noticable life until I take my stack. Today, I woke up feeling invigorated from the previous night, yet rested. I took a single 50mg pregnenolone tablet before breakfast. 

Today I didn't take any of my other supplements. I haven't felt this amazing in a long time. The only way to describe this feeling that pregnenolone has given me is "complete". I don't feel stimulated in any overbearing way, I just feel well rounded, energetically "full" (not hyper), and just all around good. Maybe this is an indication of my poor diet and hormone deficiency. I am in my early-mid twenties and my facial hair is still not completely grown in yet, and all the men in my family are very hairy. I am excited to see how long these effects persist. 

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#35 Bukujutsu

• Topic Starter
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

Okay so I am on my second day of Pregnenolone... I must say, I simply feel amazing. Usually with each day I do not feel much of a noticable life until I take my stack. Today, I woke up feeling invigorated from the previous night, yet rested. I took a single 50mg pregnenolone tablet before breakfast. 

Today I didn't take any of my other supplements. I haven't felt this amazing in a long time. The only way to describe this feeling that pregnenolone has given me is "complete". I don't feel stimulated in any overbearing way, I just feel well rounded, energetically "full" (not hyper), and just all around good. Maybe this is an indication of my poor diet and hormone deficiency. I am in my early-mid twenties and my facial hair is still not completely grown in yet, and all the men in my family are very hairy. I am excited to see how long these effects persist. 

That's good to hear. It's always nice to see the possibility of great results. 

For your beard, consider trying minoxidil, the active ingredient in Rogaine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoxidil

It really does work, I've had great results in just 3 months, and it can continue to improve for up to a year, at least for scalp hair. My facial hair other than my mustache and soul patch area were very patchy and underdeveloped. My facial hair has always filled in very very gradually, with a little more each year, but I don't see likely harm, and wanted to accelerate the development. I also had my testosterone levels tested by private MD labs, the female hormone panel, and was at a suboptimal level despite optimal nutrition, sunlight, and regular exercise and decided to start testosterone replacement therapy by producing my own solution. The combination should have fantastic synergy. I feel much furrier now, it's nice, like an animal.

www.jefffsbeardboard.yuku.com/topic/862/Rogaine-Experiment

Here if you don't want UPS shipping and want USPS instead: http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c6ec8ccd2

Here for shipping from Pennsylvania instead of California: http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c65f3bdf6

#36 Absent

• 492 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

I'm not worried too much about my facial hair. I'm still fairly young. My legs on the other hand are monstrously hairy, lol. I'm sure the face will follow soon enough.

Day 3.... to me it had felt as if the effects of pregnenolone were cumulative. I did some googling and sure enough this is an effect of it. I feel so much more grounded. I no longer get any mental or physical fatigue after masturbating/orgasming, and on top of that, my sex drive has simply gone up. Falling asleep is much easier too. As well, I noticed my temperature tolerance has shifted. Before I previously wore my jacket everywhere, even inside a ~73 degree house, but now I prefer to have it off, and even am comfortable with it off in moderately cold weather, yet, I have no issues with sweating. I haven't noticed any flare up of acne, but it is probably too soon to tell. 

I'm going to walgreens today to pick up some DHEA. I have heard it is a wonderful complement to pregnenolone, and provides some similar benefits. Preg is supposed to be converted downstream into DHEA, and adding in DHEA on its own synergizes the process. 

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#37 BigPapaChakra

• 199 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:49 AM

DHEA and Progesterone are the one's that may prove to be more worrisome as they can more readily be converted to other hormones and directly antagonize others as well, for instance, various estrogens.

Dr. Peat claimed to have taken 3g of pregnenolone a day for a year and felt amazing. There is a newspaper clipping/article of his pregnenolone experiment before that one in which he looks completely younger after using something like 40-70mg/day for awhile. A lot of the people who are fans of his work take doses in the hundreds of milligrams each day, and some of the older rodent and human trials showed that when the organism is not under stress, there are no effects whatsoever. Dr. Hans Selye has some information published on this from way back. 

Just make sure you're taking in things that work in the same direction of pregnenolone for proper steroid hormone conversion, i.e. cholesterol, glucose, vitamin A, adequate calories (you might find that you need more), light, etc.

#38 Bukujutsu

• Topic Starter
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:08 AM

3g a day sounds insane. Then again, he is a doctor and could more easily conduct the proper monitoring, along with having more knowledge. Thanks for making me aware of this. I'd like to know how much that cost him and what his source was. A bulk/group buy from China would probably be cheapest.

The idea that it may not work without stress is very interesting, and unfortunate because I'm taking tianeptine, which has numerous benefits, one of them being the prevention of change/damage that occurs due to chronic stress. It also has an immediate anxiolytic effect, but possibly not everyone experiences this, although I do. Tianeptine does have a short half life, though, so you could possibly schedule the use of both.

I wonder if for those suffering from chronic stress/depression tianeptine and pregnenolone could have similar effects. Makes me wonder if there's any connection between the two. 

But, what did they define as "stress"? For example, could working out, heavy compound lifts, qualify? Tianeptine certainly doesn't make stress impossible, exercise can be extremely strenuous.

Edited by Bukujutsu, 02 May 2014 - 01:10 AM.

#39 BigPapaChakra

• 199 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:48 AM

3g a day sounds insane. Then again, he is a doctor and could more easily conduct the proper monitoring, along with having more knowledge. Thanks for making me aware of this. I'd like to know how much that cost him and what his source was. A bulk/group buy from China would probably be cheapest.

The idea that it may not work without stress is very interesting, and unfortunate because I'm taking tianeptine, which has numerous benefits, one of them being the prevention of change/damage that occurs due to chronic stress. It also has an immediate anxiolytic effect, but possibly not everyone experiences this, although I do. Tianeptine does have a short half life, though, so you could possibly schedule the use of both.

I wonder if for those suffering from chronic stress/depression tianeptine and pregnenolone could have similar effects. Makes me wonder if there's any connection between the two. 

But, what did they define as "stress"? For example, could working out, heavy compound lifts, qualify? Tianeptine certainly doesn't make stress impossible, exercise can be extremely strenuous.

When reading the works of Dr. Hans Selye, and more recently Dr. Robert Sapolsky, stress can quite literally be anything. Look into the "general adaptation syndrome" - a lot of things produce it, as well as have direct effects, too (for instance, diuretics cause the general adaptation syndrome, but also have direct effects on water in the body). I'm not sure what they considered stress in the studies as I'm currently working through Dr. Selye's textbooks and books now and writing some papers on them, but I'm pretty certain it was emotional/mental stress. Supposedly when it was first isolated it for hormonal supplementation, researchers believed it did nothing because people had no reactions to even large doses to it. Yet when given to those who were ill or stressed, there was an almost immediate benefit.

I used it before at 70mg and it ever so slightly increased my working memory (as tested with duel n-back) and increased my reaction time and reaction accuracy (?? I would react quicker but also react to the correct stimuli, too). A couple times it also made me feel high, lol. If I used it for more than a few days, it would actually increase my anxiety, but I was in a very bad place at this time and I believe that it was essentially using up various compounds in my body (cholesterol, retinol, etc) for its own production and utilization, and I probably didn't supply the raw materials. I'm definitely going to give it a another try sometime soon, though. 

#40 MachineGhostX

• 106 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

Despite its powerful metabolites, pregnenolone is acknowledged to be without significant side effects, with minimal or no anabolic, estrogenic or androgenic activity.

Rubbish.  Google "cortisol steal".

• Informative x 1

#41 6ort

• 45 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:16 PM

I have used between 100-400 mg of pregnenolone for about 4 months on a semi-daily basis without any side effects. It helped me feel a bit more jovial and rid of some anxious-like tendencies. Nothing bad happened, but nothing spectacular either. The body probably downregulates the synthesis of pregnenolone pretty quickly when you start supplementing the stuff.

#42 DbCooper

• 137 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:40 AM

I tried Pregnenolone a few years back when I bought  a bottle of the our Encapsulations brand.  Either I wasn't under stress or the oral route did very little for me, I basically wrote the stuff off.  Recently I tried a friends (extremely small amount like half a pump) of the Life-Flo brand of Transdermal Pregnenolone. 

The calm that washed over me and lasted for two days was unreal.  I have had nights of amazing sleep with a few days of just "ok" sleep as I am still working on the timing of when I apply it.  I noticed I wasn't always thinking about sex or sweets as  much as I usually do, allowing to get more done.    But If you are over 35 and or you trying to reduce your stress levels this stuff has been the ticket for me, in fact I just sent a bottle to my mother.  Once again the transdermal had decisivly better effects than the oral I had tried, perhaps thats due to some other variable. Lifestyle: I eat an extremely clean diet and part of my stress may be caused by overtraining because of the intensity of at least every other day workout. 

I'd be interested to know if what others experiences with slather on variety are?

• like x 1

#43 6ort

• 45 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:41 PM

I took quite a large quantity of pregnenolone today (Via powder). It was in the range of 600-800 mg.

The side effect?

Major sleepiness. It is 8 pm and I am ready to shut down for the day, feeling like it's 4 AM. Quite strong really. I've never taken sleeping pills but the effect is probably just as strong. I don't know if it will wear off or if I will have to go to sleep this early.

Wanted to see what would happen. Nothing spectacular either way.

Edited by 6ort, 16 September 2014 - 06:42 PM.

#44 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

Are you serious? 500mg is as much Pregnenolone as your body naturally produces in 2 months! Your body is going to stop producing it for some time, until all of that gets out of your system. You may even have secondary sexual effects due to this. You've taken FAR too much. That sleepiness is one sign of poisoning.

Do me a favor, stop megadosing things to see what they do. You could kill yourself, like that.

Edited by Jeoshua, 16 September 2014 - 06:57 PM.

• Agree x 3
  • Disagree x 1

#45 BigPapaChakra

• 199 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:32 PM

Are you serious? 500mg is as much Pregnenolone as your body naturally produces in 2 months! Your body is going to stop producing it for some time, until all of that gets out of your system. You may even have secondary sexual effects due to this. You've taken FAR too much. That sleepiness is one sign of poisoning.

Do me a favor, stop megadosing things to see what they do. You could kill yourself, like that.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this. Buy any books or textbooks written by Dr. Hans Selye (the man who coined the term "General Adaptation Syndrome" and studied stress physiology for a long time). In his animal experiments he used those doses and sometimes even higher doses. Original studies on humans used really high doses such as those with no effects whatsoever. Additionally, if you hit pubmed, you'll see that up to 500mg A DAY for weeks has been used for schizophrenia and autism (with great success, too). Dr. Ray Peat was in some newspaper article or something like that a long time ago, with before and after pictures, and used like 40-70mg/day for weeks and it had quite an anti-aging effect on him, aesthetically speaking. He then went on to experiment with 3 GRAMS a day for a year with no ill effects.

This is not to say that there are no downsides, though, as it is a hormone that can convert to all other hormones. It also depends upon your current hormonal status, your environment, your nutrition, if you use aromatase inhibitors, etc.

#46 6ort

• 45 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:33 PM

Relax. I've done research concerning pregnenolone toxicity - there are very few studies showing adverse effects. I'm not megadosing "things". It will get converted into other hormones pretty quickly.

It was a one time thing anyway.

EDIT: BigPapaChakra, I see you are familiar with the works of Ray Peat. I personally follow a good deal of them. Have you experimented with any of the compounds he recommends, such as pregnenolone or progesterone? Or perhaps his dietary recommendations? There is a forum over at raypeatforum.com as well as peatarian.com where a lot of people post and discuss his work.

Edited by 6ort, 16 September 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#47 VERITAS INCORRUPTUS

• 257 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:11 PM

Conversion was indeed the factor for the sleepiness, as your body had a relatively significant conversion to a very high amount of allopregnanolone, which in high blood level concentrations can induce such effects.

Others may not have such a profound conversion, or reaction, as to variances within such.

Nothing unsafe at all, though may not be optimal for all as well, of course.

Your reporting of such obviously benefits those within interests in better understanding pregnenolone and neurosteroids. 

Edited by VERITAS INCORRUPTUS, 16 September 2014 - 08:45 PM.

#48 6ort

• 45 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:19 AM

Went to sleep some time after posting here. Woke up at 7:30 and quite well rested (9.5 hours of sleep, more than I usually get). My normal bedtime is 2:30 AM and I wanted to shift it earlier but was unsuccessful. I guess this was a good way to jumpstart that. I'll probably go to bed much earlier today considering when I woke up. So that might be a thing to consider for people who go to bed way too late or have sleeping issues. Other than that I feel fine.

#49 VERITAS INCORRUPTUS

• 257 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

Looks like you might get that all on a good track. Hopefully you can crash out by 11/12 and get another good night's sleep and form a sleep pattern reset to hold.

I would expect relative to your normal 'tone' emotional/well-being state, you likely feel a bit 'above fine' ;)

Edited by VERITAS INCORRUPTUS, 17 September 2014 - 02:25 PM.

#50 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:46 AM

ive taken up to 100mg pregnenolone with no effects, i wonder maybe orally its not very bioavailable?

#51 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:12 PM

Theanine works very greatly for me but pregnenolone doesn't. Pregnenolone either has affinity for the 5ht2a receptor or it increases activity at this receptor via some other mechanism, and this is really bad for schizophrenics and schizo-anything people.

From my personal experience, pregnenolone is horrible. Just so horrible. Now, if I were taking a selective 5ht2a antagonist then I might change my mind.

Btw how is gaba-a activation good for schizophrenia? It worsens psychosis considerably, UNLESS you increase glutamatergic signaling THEN it might be anti-psychotic by decreasing monoamine activity.

Edited by PeaceAndProsperity, 09 March 2017 - 09:15 PM.

#52 SimplyHuman

• 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:14 PM

Are you saying that Tinaeptine supports the adrenal gland?

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#53 Never_Ending

• 170 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

IMO things like endogenous hormones should be postponed until a person is past middle age. Unless you believe you're incredibly low on these hormones and taking them is a way of "damage control". Other than that I would reconsider before doing it. If you already took it and felt very good it might be a sign that your hormones before were unusually low. However, feeling good doesn't always mean it would do good over a long period.

• unsure x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pregnenolone, neurosteroid, neurogenesis, myelination, allopregnanolone, apoptosis, neuroprotective

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users