Photo

One of my family members got Guillain–Barré syndrome

auto immune disea

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:29 AM

My uncle just got Guillain–Barré syndrome. He is in ICU, totally paralyzed and has also contracted pneumonia. Outside of the care he's already getting Is there anything that can be done to help him recover faster? Anything that can be done to mitigate potential permanent disability? He's only about 45 years old and he's like a second father to me.

#2 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:10 AM

He is getting worse. He seems to have the worse case cenario of this specific disease. He has been transported to another hospital and he is receiving blood apheresis to remove all the antibodies that are attacking his peripheral nerves myelin sheaths.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:09 AM

http://en.wikipedia....–Barré_syndrome

#4 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:03 AM

That's sad to hear. Unfortunately, I do not know of anything that could potentially help with autoimmune disorders.

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:22 AM

I'm sorry to hear that, The Immortalist. It's good that he's in a more capable hospital now; that should help. Is he on a ventilator?

#6 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:46 AM

Is he conscious? If he is, maybe the best thing to help would simply be to visit him (if at all possible). It would probably be lonely in the hospital, especially if you are paralysed. From the wikipedia article, it seems that the initial phase of the illness lasts around 4 weeks, and then recovery takes around a year after that. Fingers crossed he pulls through.

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

If he's still in the ICU (which I suspect), check to see if they are turning the lights out (or down) at night and that all unnecessary alarms have been silenced. I once spent a month in an ICU with my Legionnaire's Disease near death experience, and the lights and noise made me literally psychotic, as in seeing and hearing stuff that wasn't there. The minute I got to a room where the lights were out at night, it all melted away. This condition is so common that it has a name- 'ICU Psychosis'. It hits something like 30% of people who have spent a week in an ICU. Make sure that he knows where he is and how he got there. Some drugs are amnestic, particularly propofol which is commonly used to induce coma. When I woke up, I didn't have a clue where I was or why, not to mention that I was physically trashed and psychotic, and couldn't speak very well. I made up a plausible hypothesis, which turned out to be wrong by about 3000 miles and 15 years... At least I was sane enough not to cling to it when they finally told me where I was, but I was like 'sheesh, you could have told me that three days ago!'.

Tell him Longecity's pulling for him.
  • like x 2

#8 lammas2

• 137 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:11 AM

LDN (low-dose naltrexone)?

While highly experimental, it could help treat autoimmune disorders.

http://www.ldnresear....org/conditions

#9 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

LDN (low-dose naltrexone)?

While highly experimental, it could help treat autoimmune disorders.

http://www.ldnresear....org/conditions

It seems there is no scientific research that proves the worth of this substance in anything but alcohol and opioid dependance. http://en.wikipedia....dose_naltrexone

Also I doubt the neurologist at the hospital would even think for a second about using an experimental substance. I'm guessing he would have to be legit dying in order to try something like that.

Edited by The Immortalist, 31 March 2014 - 11:21 PM.

#10 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:15 PM

I forgot to mention that my uncle is somewhat of a heavy smoker. How will coming off the cigarettes cold turkey affect his body? He is under sedation most of the time so I suppose he hasn't even noticed the psychological effects of not being to smoke.

It's been 2 weeks now so is there anything harmful that may happen to him as a result of going cold turkey? I suppose if anything this experience could be the perfect catalyst to quit for good since the hardest part of quitting would be long past him.

Edited by The Immortalist, 31 March 2014 - 11:18 PM.

#11 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, The Immortalist. It's good that he's in a more capable hospital now; that should help. Is he on a ventilator?

Yes he is on a ventilator. He been on one ever since he came into the hospital.

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:15 AM

How's he doing now?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:25 AM

How's he doing now?

He can now breath on his own, talk, eat, lift his hands up and move his head. He is regaining function very very slowly. It's sad, he was in a state worse than the current Stephen Hawking. 

Edited by The Immortalist, 11 July 2014 - 03:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users