• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

SkQ1 Would anyone be interested in this?

mito mitoq skq1

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#61 YOLF

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:51 PM

Still no response from the Schulachevs :(

#62 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:41 AM

Still no response from the Schulachevs :(

Don't hold your breath.  Skulachev wants to market a drug.  Letting random people on the Internet synthesize or otherwise get hold of it at this point is not remotely in his interest.

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 YOLF

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:57 AM

He can market it as a treatment for certain eye diseases, but he had designed the molecule to prevent aging... I would think that he wants us to have access to it, though I'm not sure how effective it would be... It's either going to do very well despite the small lifespan gains in mice b/c it was explicitly designed for humans, or only about as good as it did in mice... we won't know until we have more study results and human blood testing. 

#64 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:10 AM

It won't do as well as it did in mice, because nothing does.  The simpler and shorter-lived the organism, the easier it is to extend its lifespan.  If SkQ1 got 10% in mice, it will probably get 1-2% in humans, which is to say an insignificant amount. 

• unsure x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#65 mike_nyc

• 46 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:10 PM

I would think that squaring the mortality curve and increasing the median lifespan would be a sufficient effect for me.

#66 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:42 PM

I expect it to increase healthspan above all.

#67 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

Canadian source. Local pick up only

http://www.ebay.com/...ile#mainContent

#68 ZHMike

• 227 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:54 PM

Bottom of page it says they ship

#69 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:07 PM

Would light and temp be a factor during shipping?

#70 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:03 PM

Interesting but the expense plus the possibilty of confiscation or destruction via waiting in customs make me weary.

#71 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:15 PM

145 bucks for a month's worth of eyedrops?  Ok, it has a little SkQ1 in it.  So what?  Just get some MitoQ, it's practically the same thing.  Or save your money and get c60oo, which is practically free in comparison, is used by tons of people, has concrete results and nine times(!) the rodent life extension.  Sorry to be such a party pooper.  Hope springs eternal.

• Cheerful x 2
  • Agree x 1

#72 zen

• 138 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:35 PM

145 bucks for a month's worth of eyedrops?  Ok, it has a little SkQ1 in it.  So what?  Just get some MitoQ, it's practically the same thing.  Or save your money and get c60oo, which is practically free in comparison, is used by tons of people, has concrete results and nine times(!) the rodent life extension.  Sorry to be such a party pooper.  Hope springs eternal.

Hi niner, I curious what do you think about the comment Vladimir Skulachev posted in reply to the Josh Mitteldorf's blog article: http://joshmitteldor...targeted-coq10/ 

#73 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:01 PM

Hi niner, I curious what do you think about the comment Vladimir Skulachev posted in reply to the Josh Mitteldorf's blog article: http://joshmitteldor...targeted-coq10/ 

I read that comment too and I'm unsure who to trust. Skulachev has been working on that thing for most of his life so his opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. MitoQ has been clinically tested and is looking very good. I have no idea why SkQ1 is taking so much time to get out there.

#74 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:43 PM

I agree with essentially everything he says there.  He's mostly correcting Mitteldorf's many errors.  He has a good point about plastoquinone being a better antioxidant than mitoquinone, and his point about the therapeutic index (in this case, transition from anti- to pro-oxidant) of SkQ1 being better than MitoQ is noteworthy.   So why is MitoQ easily available and SkQ1 not?  I don't know.  I wish it was, and I wish there was more competition in the designed mitochondrial antioxidant space.   The eyedrops are interesting, if you have cataracts.  Kind of expensive, compared to acetylcarnosine drops; I'd like to see a heads-up trial.

#75 alc

• Validating/Suspended
  • 208 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

niner - where did you read about "nine times(!) the rodent life extension"

please can you post the link with the studies?

If that is the case, I'm wondering why MitoQ team doesn't participate in Palo Alto Longevity Prize:

http://paloaltoprize.com/

thanks.

#76 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:10 PM

It wasn't MitoQ that had the amazing result, it was c60 olive oil.  This was reported by Baati & Moussa in 2012.  They got a 90% increase in median lifespan compared to control in a small cohort.  I hear ten percent mentioned for SkQ1, which is how I came up with the "nine times" approximation. 

#77 alc

• Validating/Suspended
  • 208 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

It wasn't MitoQ that had the amazing result, it was c60 olive oil.  This was reported by Baati & Moussa in 2012.  They got a 90% increase in median lifespan compared to control in a small cohort.  I hear ten percent mentioned for SkQ1, which is how I came up with the "nine times" approximation. 

niner - thanks for your reply.

I red about that c60 study at that time, but after they published, they had some revisions, and something didn't sound right.

at least that was my impression.

but I do hope other researchers will reproduce the results.

I'm keeping an eye on Ichor Therapeutics.

Moderation - The following was withdrawn by the author due a change of assumptions:

sorry to hammer your numbers, but they are not right:

"nine times" means, if a mice live 2 years, then "nine times" means 9x2=18 years.

90% increase, means less than 2x = so it would be, 2+1.8=3.8 years (if the mice live 2 years).

"nine times" was very nice, it was methusalemic indeed.

the problem I see these days, is that there is enough medical technology and knowledge to extend healthy life a lot (in humans and other mammals). just that a group of researchers do not look and try to integrate

what others do. they keep "fighting" and pretend that just their solution is the real one.

and would be so much benefit and speed up in the process if we were to learn from each other.

Edited by YOLF, 09 February 2015 - 06:25 PM.

#78 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

I agree with essentially everything he says there.  He's mostly correcting Mitteldorf's many errors.  He has a good point about plastoquinone being a better antioxidant than mitoquinone, and his point about the therapeutic index (in this case, transition from anti- to pro-oxidant) of SkQ1 being better than MitoQ is noteworthy.   So why is MitoQ easily available and SkQ1 not?  I don't know.  I wish it was, and I wish there was more competition in the designed mitochondrial antioxidant space.   The eyedrops are interesting, if you have cataracts.  Kind of expensive, compared to acetylcarnosine drops; I'd like to see a heads-up trial.

I realize this is off topic and I can ask this question in the MitoQ thread but since the topic was mentioned, I have pondered his statement on MitoQ being pro-oxidant. Part of me wonders if he wants to discredit a rival substance, or if he has some merit to making that statement him being a long time mito-researcher and all.

What would it mean in practical day to day supplementation of MitoQ if it was a pro-oxidant?

#79 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:44 PM

I realize this is off topic and I can ask this question in the MitoQ thread but since the topic was mentioned, I have pondered his statement on MitoQ being pro-oxidant. Part of me wonders if he wants to discredit a rival substance, or if he has some merit to making that statement him being a long time mito-researcher and all.
What would it mean in practical day to day supplementation of MitoQ if it was a pro-oxidant?

It means don't take more than 40 mg of MitoQ a day (that number is from memory but I believe it is roughly accurate). Which you probably wouldn't, since it's expensive as hell.

So how's about that group buy? I'm still interested for a few grams.

#80 YOLF

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:27 PM

Announcement - We don't have a date yet, but anyone interested in online hangouts for local chapters or specific interests should fill out the unofficial questionnaire (hover for details) as we will be holding a C60 topic discussion via google hangouts.

#81 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:47 PM

Canadian source. Local pick up only

http://www.ebay.com/...ile#mainContent

Insane markup given that they are sold for under $10 in Russia.

• Informative x 3

#82 QwkRedFox

• 5 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:14 AM

Hello does anyone have access to visomitin, SkQ1? I am in California and searching for someone who can share.

Chelsea

#83 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:43 AM

Any news regarding SkQ1? I would love to buy some. I have tried mailing their EU site with no reply.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#84 nickdino

• 162 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:55 AM

I need a reliable source for the eye drops, i have an developing cataract in one eye due to a vitrectomy. I live in holland.

Who here has tried it out?

Edited by nickdino, 18 August 2015 - 10:57 AM.

#85 Nick Kyz

• 107 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:05 AM

I'm looking for a source for this.  The way it's looking I'd have to resort to a foreign (e.g. Chinese) lab.

#86 mait

• 256 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:47 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...jIAAOSwVL1WAbCY

<- if legit then it is one of the most promising SkQ1 sources I have come across thus far.

#87 Nick Kyz

• 107 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:44 PM

<- if legit then it is one of the most promising SkQ1 sources I have come across thus far.

I saw that but can is that something you could take orally?

#88 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:51 PM

The problem is those eye drops contain a very small amount of SKQ1.  I don't believe it would be useful to take that orally.

#89 mait

• 256 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:54 PM

To clarify my previous post, I did not mean to recommend this product be used orally. I thought that if NGF can have central effect if dosed via eye drops then there is possibility that SkQ1 might be usable via same route of administration.    

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#90 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:19 PM

I wonder if we repacked those eye drops in a nasal spray bottle and applied then via that route if we'd have anything useful?

Still, I'd much rather have a source of SKQ1 that I could take in a quantity that would be significant via oral administration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users