- - - - -

Best Nooptropic or other 4 Motivation and drive

drive motivation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fifth

• 40 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:18 AM

So I'm planning on a major buy (1 nootropic, I know big, right?) for motivation and drive. I usually don't get out much in the winter and would like to experiement with nootropics to get me moving, focused, driven etc. If you could name one that would do which one would it be?

Just FYI I've read Sulbutiamine is really good for this but before I order I'd like your opinion.

#2 GoingPrimal

• 263 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:50 AM

Sulbutiamine is pretty good, but I seem to recall questions over whether it is healthy over the long term. I use it about once a week, when I have to open at work. You could always experiment with L-Tyrosine, which also increases dopamine and thus motivation. I've used it to decent results.

I'm sure someone is going to suggest Modafinil or Armodafinil - they both sound amazing though I haven't tried either myself.

I think I remember reading that Uridine increases dopamine receptors and/or sensitivity. That might be a great route to go, resensitizing your brain to dopamine.

There's also the MAOI route - inhibiting the enzyme that breaks down dopamine within the brain. Obviously, this can be dangerous if used irresponsibly. I haven't tried deprenyl but it's discussed a lot on these forums, and has a bunch of other benefits as well. I have used the herb he shou wu, sometimes called Fo-Ti, which is a natural MAOI. I think it does make me more motivated, but its not that WOW experience you might be looking for.

I'm really into Chinese Herbs right now - if you can find access to a high quality deer antler extract, I highly suggest it. I've actually found nothing else to be as motivating and driving as deer antler, but it's important to find a good product as there're a bunch of crap ones out there. Cordyceps is good for motivation as well. Both are traditionally recommended for winter time.

I guess my top picks would be modafinil, if you can get ahold of it. L-Tyrosine is cheap and easy to find, and fairly effective. Sulbutiamine might be good once or twice a week, and if you can find a quality deer antler product, I'd actually recommend that over the others.
  • Informative x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#3 fifth

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:01 AM

mmmhhh I actually was ready to order deer antler about a month ago from distributer in Canada but deemed it to risky and to much of a nuisance. What's the serving size like with this stuff.?

Do you have a good distributer in mind?

I know people have mentioned badmonkeybotanicals as a good place to stuff but I have ordered yet. Planning on it but they also carry deer antler https://www.badmonke...rch&search=deer

ANy suggestions would be appreciated. Especially good high quality sources.

Edited by fifth, 03 April 2014 - 03:04 AM.

#4 YOLF

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:04 AM

You might want to see this user's post first.
http://www.longecity...to-heal/unread/

#5 fifth

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:09 AM

You might want to see this user's post first.
http://www.longecity...to-heal/unread/

Read it. What am I lookinig for?

See nothing regarding dopamine minus a few drugs and there only lists. Nothing about deer antler or anything. Am I missing something?

#6 YOLF

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:01 AM

Thought you were talking about sulbutiamine. The poster in that thread's immune system looks to have become dependent on it. As long as it's taken infrequently it should be ok though.

Deer antler will disqualify you from playing in pro sports or the olympics... that's the only bad I've heard, though I'm not particularly knowledgeable about it.

#7 GoingPrimal

• 263 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

The thing with deer antler and pro sports is that it is a supplement that naturally contains insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), which is a banned substance. Its found in minute amounts however, and taken orally is most likely not even absorbed. That said, it's still banned. It does have many other beneficial compounds in it, "growth factors" and such.

This is the brand I'm currently taking, which I bought in New Zealand. It's amazing stuff, very strong, very motivating, very "yang" and I'm not sure what prices will be in terms of shipping outside of NZ.

http://www.healthpos...650mg-pldv.html

I really like Dragon Herbs products and have used many to great effect, but not their Deer Antler product. I would assume it's pretty high quality however, and they claim to use only the tips of young antler, which is where the goodies are. You can visit the link below to learn a bit more about Deer Antler in general.

http://www.dragonher....asp?number=006

Jing Herbs is another quality brand for Chinese Herbs, but their deer antler extract has also has he shou wu and goji berry extract, two "yin" herbs to balance out the very "yang" energy of deer antler.

Other than that I can't speak for any other quality products out there. Since the majority of the extracts today are using the middles or bases of deer antler, which are basically inert, you can rest assured that the cheaper the product, the lower in quality it is. Considering how cheap the badmonkeybotanicals extract is, I would personally avoid it. The more expensive does not necessarily mean the better either, which is why I like to stick to Dragon Herbs or Jing Herbs for this type of thing as they know what they're doing, or go straight to the source in New Zealand. You could also touch base with your local Chinatown and check out their herbal shops if this is an option for you, it will probably be the cheapest option.

I always like using more natural substances before using synthetic or isolated compounds, so I definitely recommend trying a good deer antler product when you can afford it - and if it's a quality product, you'll definitely feel it. At the same time though, L-Tyrosine is so cheap, safe and pretty effective, and even sulbutiamine, if used responsibly, is a good pick as well. Maybe just run down to your local Vitamin Shoppe or wherever and pick up some L-Tyrosine and try that out, then branch out to deer antler if you so choose.
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#8 AmpleBeingdotcom

• 53 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

Is this for any particular reason or you just want to feel more motivated in the winter?

Are you a student or studying/learning information?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#9 Ritchie

• 183 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

You could also try Mucuna Pruriens. I'm not sure what the price is but it contains the direct precurs to Dopamine and serotonin and has been shown to have numerous health benefits including: Increasing Testosterone, Improving sperm quality, decreasing prolacting, decreasing cortisol levels, increasing subjective well-being and lowering blood sugar. You can read about it at: http://examine.com/s...ucuna pruriens/

Some people are concerned that Mucuna pruriens contains L-dopa but it has not shown to demonstrate any of the side effects from pure L-dopa. But hey you wanted to go big and this may be one of the best supplements you can buy(If you can only buy one supplement)

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: drive, motivation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users