• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

A longecity community formulated sunscreen.

sunscreen

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: A longecity community formulated sunscreen. (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you interested in a community Sunscreen?

1. Yes, I'd buy a bottle. (2 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Yes I'd buy a few bottles! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Yes I'd stockpile it so I don't run out. (3 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. Yes, and I'd give it to my friends too! (1 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

How much is safe sunscreen worth? (8oz bottle)

1. $10/bottle (0 votes [0.00%])

2. $15/bottle (0 votes [0.00%])

3. $20/bottle (1 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. $25/bottle (2 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

5. $30/bottle (3 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:56 PM

Just like the community formulated supplement "Vimmortal" except it's sunscreen this time.

Edited by CryonicsCulture:
Please join the group buy here:
http://www.longecity...ated-sunscreen/
As of April 2nd, the group is approved.

Edited by cryonicsculture, 15 April 2014 - 04:51 AM.

#2 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:27 AM

Great idea! I'll buy it. You making it?

#3 YOLF

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:37 AM

I agree! Great idea! We'll need a corporate sponsor. Although I know of a company that can do the formulation and handle meeting the legal requirements so we just put our name on it and they take care of answering the 800 safety phone line in the event someone needs to use it. We'd have to order at least 1000 bottles IIRC, but I could sell them in my ebay store or maybe here on LongeCity or perhaps arrange to sell them through LEF.org or another supplement vendor who hangs out here at LC.

[disclaimer]

Edited by cryonicsculture, 01 April 2014 - 03:19 AM.

• like x 1

#4 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:30 AM

I agree! Great idea! We'll need a corporate sponsor. Although I know of a company that can do the formulation and handle meeting the legal requirements so we just put our name on it and they take care of answering the 800 safety phone line in the event someone needs to use it. We'd have to order at least 1000 bottles IIRC, but I could sell them in my ebay store or maybe here on LongeCity or perhaps arrange to sell them through LEF.org or another supplement vendor who hangs out here at LC.

I'd like this sunscreen to be special in a way. Would it be possible to formulate something that stays on for the entire day and doesn't lose it's effectiveness?

#5 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:13 AM

I just think it should be made as well as possible, and creators shouldn't worry about appealing to the audience. What all crave is a great sunscreen that's effective yet not poisonous or ghastly. Stick to the science; first do no harm; all that

#6 YOLF

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:21 AM

That should be possible. I generally use a sunscreen that will last for more than 24 hours as long as you don't wash it off or towel dry. If the SPF value is high enough and the water resistance is also good enough, it should remain fairly effective throughout that time. I have some good sources to work from that I imagine we can make minus the bad nasties in them or replace them with safer ingredients. The stuff I use now is $12 for 4oz. Our production wouldn't likely reach the economies of scale that that the major makers have, at least initially, so we'd probably be looking at a price point above that. The bottle lasts one person for about a year (and I share it when I see people putting on SPF 15 lol). So a family would need a bottle per person.

[disclaimer]

I just think it should be made as well as possible, and creators shouldn't worry about appealing to the audience. What all crave is a great sunscreen that's effective yet not poisonous or ghastly. Stick to the science; first do no harm; all that

I definitely agree with that. And we'll publish our ingredient list for review by the community and address possible concerns.

#7 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:31 AM

Is this going to have stuff added to it to make the skin more healthy and youthful? A kinda all in one cream?

#8 YOLF

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:12 AM

I've started a group for this project. You will be able to join it after it is reviewed and approved by following this link:

Is this going to have stuff added to it to make the skin more healthy and youthful? A kinda all in one cream?

That's what I'm hoping for.

#9 YOLF

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:56 AM

I've been playing around with some names for the product. I've been referring to all things related to indefinite lifespans as being in the category of I n d e f i n i t y. I n d e f i n i t y is the lifestyle, the mindset, and the goal. I n d e f i n i t y is infinite and indefinite physical existence. IT's being unrestricted by aging and free of involuntary death. It's living for every last tomorrow. It's doing battle with death and being free of death's compromise. I n d e f i n i t y is striving for the never ending existence that will enable us to enable an ever accelerating vector towards a perfect existence. Let nothing stop you, live in i n d e f i n i t y!

#10 YOLF

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

And while we're at it. Why not make our own powder based food on the same premise? I know it's been done before, but I think we can do it better. What's out there now may not even be an improvement at all. The ingredients weren't selected chemical by chemical, but are rather complexes of food chemicals from various sources that are known to have some elements that are bad for us. So let's get rid of the bad stuff and add that things that are known to reverse AGE and ALE and whatever else can be determined. By developing a completely comprehensive nutrition system we can essentially control all the variables we need to have more optimal metabolisms than man has ever had before. I've often thought that this alone could end aging and it comes from a particular experience in my life where I can an infection that caused a complete loss of appetite and I was basically living off of a smidgen of pizza and handful of supplements each day. What I realized was that by uncomplicating my metabolism, I was actually increasing the efficacy of my supplements, most of which I was taking for brain health and energy, and despite being as sick as I had ever been, my mind was faster and more awake than it had ever been.

I'm not saying that it would be possible to get to a perfect metabolism initially, but we could make huge improvements and we'd update the products on a schedule where ever year or two, we'd undertake a review of all the new data and make adjustments. If we are what we eat, why are we eating things that die? Rather our goal would be to eat something that wouldn't die if it came from a living human-like creature.

SENS is working on upgrading our lysosomes so they can digest more accumulated metabolic waste material. Let's meet them in the middle and work on creating a food source that would reduce the production of this stuff.

Comments? Thoughts?

Edited by cryonicsculture, 01 April 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#11 YOLF

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:39 AM

Group for group buy has been approved.

Please join the group buy here:

#12 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:20 AM

And while we're at it. Why not make our own powder based food on the same premise? I know it's been done before, but I think we can do it better. What's out there now may not even be an improvement at all. The ingredients weren't selected chemical by chemical, but are rather complexes of food chemicals from various sources that are known to have some elements that are bad for us. So let's get rid of the bad stuff and add that things that are known to reverse AGE and ALE and whatever else can be determined. By developing a completely comprehensive nutrition system we can essentially control all the variables we need to have more optimal metabolisms than man has ever had before. I've often thought that this alone could end aging and it comes from a particular experience in my life where I can an infection that caused a complete loss of appetite and I was basically living off of a smidgen of pizza and handful of supplements each day. What I realized was that by uncomplicating my metabolism, I was actually increasing the efficacy of my supplements, most of which I was taking for brain health and energy, and despite being as sick as I had ever been, my mind was faster and more awake than it had ever been.

I'm not saying that it would be possible to get to a perfect metabolism initially, but we could make huge improvements and we'd update the products on a schedule where ever year or two, we'd undertake a review of all the new data and make adjustments. If we are what we eat, why are we eating things that die? Rather our goal would be to eat something that wouldn't die if it came from a living human-like creature.

SENS is working on upgrading our lysosomes so they can digest more accumulated metabolic waste material. Let's meet them in the middle and work on creating a food source that would reduce the production of this stuff.

Comments? Thoughts?

Are you talking about like a Soylent? Basically a thick drink that replaces all food with a balanced formula?

#13 YOLF

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:04 AM

Yeah, the difference would be that we'd be doing it with the goal of reducing the accumulation of things that lead to aging. There are some things in Soylent that aren't ideal for our purposes.

#14 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:13 AM

Working out of doors in the bright Carolina sunshine, this is definitely something that I would be interested in. Right now I have no money, but I wholeheartedly support this and look forward to the results.

#15 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

Yeah, the difference would be that we'd be doing it with the goal of reducing the accumulation of things that lead to aging. There are some things in Soylent that aren't ideal for our purposes.

Do you want to kick this off with a basic starting list of ingredients you think should be included?

#16 YOLF

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

Good idea PWAIN.

To start, I'll list ingredients that I am confident have no potential for harm or are my preferred ingredients and invite others to comment. 

Starting list:

For the main ingredient (SPF100):

Avobenzone

Octocylene

Oxybenzone

I've chosen these to reach SPF100

Acceptable Inactive Ingredients:

Ascorbic Acid

Aloe Vera leaf juice

Olive Oil

These are pretty harmless

Maybes (seem like harmless ingredients from experience unless otherwise specified but not at this time well known to me):

Disodium EDTA - harmless in small quantities and necessary to be absorbed into the skin?

Cottonseed Oil - 

White petrolatum - 

What are some things we don't want in our sunscreen? Please share links if you can.

Any products that you find to be particularly gentle on the skin or desirable?

Ingredients for enhancement?

#17 LaViidaLocaa

• 96 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

I thought oxybenzone and the others were harmful?
On EWG, for example, they have a bad rep.

#18 YOLF

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:45 AM

I thought oxybenzone and the others were harmful?
On EWG, for example, they have a bad rep.

I'll have to read up on it more, but it looks like the endocrine disrupter claims aren't significant. Only 1-2% makes it through the body and it metabolizes differently in the body anyways. Human trials have somewhat confirmed this.

People with contact dermatitis shouldn't use it. 25% of them will have a reaction to it.

#19 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:53 PM

I posted the following in the group you set up but maybe it is better to put it here:

Does someone want to run with this and get it going. Do we want to start with suggestions for ingredients? I would start off with:

Hyaluronic Acid
SkQ1
MitoQ
Ceramide
Resveratrol (Micronised or even nano)
Nicotinamide Riboside

Possibles:

Alpha-hydroxy acid
Salicylic acid
Retinol
Alpha Lipoic Acid
DMAE (dimethylaminoethanol)
vitamin C ester
peptides (pentapeptides and copper peptides and Matryxil)
Vitamin E
Kinetin
Hydroquinone
Argireline (also known as acetyl hexapeptide-3)
Sunscreen

Anyway, please post your ideas.

#20 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:53 AM

Given the concerns about various sunscreen ingredients, we are probably going to end up with a Burkini with a an attached wide-brimmed hat.  

• like x 1

#21 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:44 AM

I thought that the idea was to load it up with a lot more good stuff than bad stuff so the net effect is positive plus the protection from the sun.

#22 YOLF

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

I like Hyaluronic Acid, I'm not sure if it's absorbable though. There is a small molecule version with less safety data which is orally bioavailable. We're doing a group buy for SkQ1 already, so this will help with that possibly. Are there studies indicating that SKQ1 can be absorbed by the skin? Salicylic acid may be a bad idea. It's generally used to kill susceptible cells or burn them off. So using too much sunscreen would result in complaints. I'm not sure what the benefits would be. Retinol IIRC can be bad for skin when exposed to sunlight. For Vitamin E I was thinking maybe we should use tocotrienols if it would be beneficial. The rest I'll have to read up on.

The real challenge here is getting enough people interested in this. It would be a good idea to find other members and invite them to this topic. As it stands we don't have enough people to make this happen yet unless we're all going to buy cases of it. If you're among the interested, please remember to follow this thread.We currently have 3 followers for the topic/thread and 4 in the group.

Each of us needs to promote this to other members around the forum to make it happen.

#23 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

I found a really interesting website (while looking for a source of Hyaluronic Acid) that has a lot of the active ingredients available (they seem to be a source for companies dong just the sort of thing we are doing). Might be worth investigating them.

http://shop.newdirec...tegories/17/150

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sunscreen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users