* * * * - 11 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#751 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for sharing Scientist!! Curious to hear what the next months bring.

Personally I have felt that I got a second wave of improvements around 11-13 months of use, I have been wondering whether the higher NAD+ has restored some of the epigenetics that cause the NAD decrease to happen. Need to say that I have also experimented with other polyphenols that I am having on the "suspect" list for the observation. Any other long time users noticing the same?

• Informative x 2

#752 Black Fox

• 27 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:49 AM

Thank you all for posting. I've been lurking for a few months and very interested in others' experiences in NR. Jumping in here as another woman user with my experience taking NR for 4-5 months now: I am 48, no major health problems, but noticing aging effects such as poorer/less sleep and increased weight gain (although I am still normal BMI), aging skin, plus hormonal changes (no menopause quite yet but I can tell things are changing).

Started taking 250 mg NR along with pterostilbene and PQQ every morning before breakfast. I immediately noticed a "warming" and energized feeling that seems to last for a few hours, but wane by early afternoon. Also notice the same "better but less" sleep effect many report. After a few weeks I noticed improved hormonal balance, as if my hormones were at the levels they were maybe 10 years ago. (This is not by blood levels, but rather from my own observation. But it is noticeable and sustained over time.) Skin is probably the same, but nails may be somewhat stronger.

I have not noticed weight loss per se, although I am also exercising more and eating less in order to lose a few pounds. Rather, I notice increased strength and endurance through the day, and usually when exercising. As others have noted. Interesting note about adding ALA, as I have followed that in Bryan's NR thread: every time I try ALA, I have a "crash" a few hours later that seems to be hypoglycemic. My glucose/insulin levels are good but I've always had a tendency toward hypoglycemia. I cannot tolerate ALA despite all the praise around it's effects. It really seems powerful for me, and not in a good way. I am sensitive to medications and supplements and alcohol, so I usually go by my subjective experience about whether something agrees with me. ALA does not.

But NR (plus the ptero and PQQ) most definitely DO agree with me. I only notice positive effects, nothing drastic, but it does agree with me and my husband and I both plan to continue the 250/day and watch closely to see the ongoing research on dosing etc.

Thanks all for being out there, very interesting!

Hi Female scientist, when do you take ALA, is it R-ALA ( stable form) or regular ALA (S and R form)?

I'm in my early 30s and I've been taking NR for a year. I started on 250 mg... First week I was feeling way too energetic but I also has issues following as sleep despite of having it early in the morning on empty stomach . After 10 days the superman feeling and the sleeping issues wore off but I was still feeling great.

I was taking it for 4 weeks and 1 week off , I was been fond of shocking the body since routine is a killer... Body adapts after a while. I've bumped my dosage from 250 to 500 , to 750 and I'm currently at 1 gr along with Ptero.

I feel awesome when I'm on it but I still don't feel anywhere near my early 20s despite of my wreckage life style I had, I was able to go partying back to back, straight from the fiesta into college ,I crashed for a couple of hours and again back to partying. I was hungover but not tired back then.

I'm completly different person now, I do eat and cook clean, I'm vigorous person, Im into all kinda sports you can think of, and I hit the gym at least 4 times a week and no more than 5. I'm doing HIIT workouts and in weeks like these one ( NR week off) I feel totally drained .... But even when I'm on the 1gr NR I sense that's sth is missing to give the youth I used to possess

I'm going to give R-ALA a go...I'll report any benefits if any,,,,

Btw I tried PQQ also.... After 3 month I ditched it,,, Neither I felt nor I sensed nada
  • Informative x 2

#753 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:19 PM

Thx Brian,  being a yearslong lurker to this thread I have seen these graphs  often but I am still impressed by the early age at which decline sets in. But there must be more to this. There are also elderly, frail people with no specific medical condition who feel no benefit after weeks of use. I thought that on a cellular level  poorly functioning CLPP might be a stumbling block (or one of them) for NAD effectiveness but the idea doesn't seem to resonate sofar, postively or not. Perhaps my small modest question  drowned  between the impulsive quotequotemultiquote actions lately  :) .

Not sure what I can help provide you with. Everyone here seems to have different expectations. Most of what you read on this thread is purely anecdotal. i.e. "adjective (of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research."

I would like to think we could see trends with the personal experiences of so many people but when we read these experiences we don't know how true anyone here has been with dosage and regularity. So let's be real. I've been true to my regiment for 872 days. I did take a month off initially because I didn't think I was getting any benefits and it took a cold turkey approach to realize I had benefited and in ways I didn't expect. That being said I'm still not convinced this stuff is the end all be all supplement but the evidence tells me I can't discount my experience because someone else didn't see results. 

Have any of you read "The Ravages Of Old Age Could Have Been Averted Sixty Years Ago? HISTORY OF NICOTINAMIDE AND AGING" Now here is someone who has traced back the B3 story to 1953 with a long line of research papers. We can take this back much further if we look at the history of Pellagra and we find accounts dating back to 1735. The research into this disease marks the the feeble beginnings of our understanding of cellular metabolism. Here we exchange anecdotal accounts of subtle changes but there is a long unbroken story backed up with research observations going back 60-years and disease states caused by deficiencies going back to the 1700's. Only after the discovery of yeast in 1927 alleviating the symptoms did the pieces of the puzzle begin to come together.

What few of us realize is as a result of curing this disease we live in a B3 fortified world and now without the obvious suffering and deaths around us we've forgotten our roots.

So how much of this story is related to aging? Everyone's seen the charts and we know NAD is at the crux of our oxidative metabolism. There are many theories as to why the decline takes place and I'm not here to debate them. One thing for sure is our mitochondria will diminish with age and become less productive which isn't a good recipe for cellular maintenance and continued health.

So what are our options, well your here reading about one and everyone else is here like moths to the flame. NAD boosting has real, measurable effects and here we are hashing out what everyone thinks and feels. I think we'll see more data over larger study populations in the months and years to follow and some of our anecdotal stories will be confirmed and other stories dismissed. Still others want to see anti-aging results and for now I say good luck with that. So far I see suggestive results but the jury is still out. For me all I want to do is blunt my inflammation problems and as long as I can manage that, my expectations have been met, but I can't speak for anyone else.

Edited by Bryan_S, 11 June 2016 - 04:20 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • Good Point x 2
  • Well Written x 1

#754 Female Scientist

• 58 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:11 PM

To answer your question Black Fox, yes, I've taken the brand Doctor's Best stabilized R ALA 100 mg. I see the research looks compelling which is why I wanted to give it multiple tries. My reaction is probably an unusual one, but it is striking and repeated, so I wanted to give folks a heads up just in case they tend towards hypoglycemia. Looking forward to reading your reactions.

And Bryan, thank you for posting that link to all the NR research. Very handy to forward to other interested folks. Every time I go over those studies I start to understand the metabolic pathways a little more, and it makes the NR case even more compelling!

Thank you all for posting. I've been lurking for a few months and very interested in others' experiences in NR. Jumping in here as another woman user with my experience taking NR for 4-5 months now: I am 48, no major health problems, but noticing aging effects such as poorer/less sleep and increased weight gain (although I am still normal BMI), aging skin, plus hormonal changes (no menopause quite yet but I can tell things are changing).

Started taking 250 mg NR along with pterostilbene and PQQ every morning before breakfast. I immediately noticed a "warming" and energized feeling that seems to last for a few hours, but wane by early afternoon. Also notice the same "better but less" sleep effect many report. After a few weeks I noticed improved hormonal balance, as if my hormones were at the levels they were maybe 10 years ago. (This is not by blood levels, but rather from my own observation. But it is noticeable and sustained over time.) Skin is probably the same, but nails may be somewhat stronger.

I have not noticed weight loss per se, although I am also exercising more and eating less in order to lose a few pounds. Rather, I notice increased strength and endurance through the day, and usually when exercising. As others have noted. Interesting note about adding ALA, as I have followed that in Bryan's NR thread: every time I try ALA, I have a "crash" a few hours later that seems to be hypoglycemic. My glucose/insulin levels are good but I've always had a tendency toward hypoglycemia. I cannot tolerate ALA despite all the praise around it's effects. It really seems powerful for me, and not in a good way. I am sensitive to medications and supplements and alcohol, so I usually go by my subjective experience about whether something agrees with me. ALA does not.

But NR (plus the ptero and PQQ) most definitely DO agree with me. I only notice positive effects, nothing drastic, but it does agree with me and my husband and I both plan to continue the 250/day and watch closely to see the ongoing research on dosing etc.

Thanks all for being out there, very interesting!

Hi Female scientist, when do you take ALA, is it R-ALA ( stable form) or regular ALA (S and R form)?

I'm in my early 30s and I've been taking NR for a year. I started on 250 mg... First week I was feeling way too energetic but I also has issues following as sleep despite of having it early in the morning on empty stomach . After 10 days the superman feeling and the sleeping issues wore off but I was still feeling great.

I was taking it for 4 weeks and 1 week off , I was been fond of shocking the body since routine is a killer... Body adapts after a while. I've bumped my dosage from 250 to 500 , to 750 and I'm currently at 1 gr along with Ptero.

I feel awesome when I'm on it but I still don't feel anywhere near my early 20s despite of my wreckage life style I had, I was able to go partying back to back, straight from the fiesta into college ,I crashed for a couple of hours and again back to partying. I was hungover but not tired back then.

I'm completly different person now, I do eat and cook clean, I'm vigorous person, Im into all kinda sports you can think of, and I hit the gym at least 4 times a week and no more than 5. I'm doing HIIT workouts and in weeks like these one ( NR week off) I feel totally drained .... But even when I'm on the 1gr NR I sense that's sth is missing to give the youth I used to possess

I'm going to give R-ALA a go...I'll report any benefits if any,,,,

Btw I tried PQQ also.... After 3 month I ditched it,,, Neither I felt nor I sensed nada

#755 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:00 PM

Thx Brian,  being a yearslong lurker to this thread I have seen these graphs  often but I am still impressed by the early age at which decline sets in. But there must be more to this. There are also elderly, frail people with no specific medical condition who feel no benefit after weeks of use. I thought that on a cellular level  poorly functioning CLPP might be a stumbling block (or one of them) for NAD effectiveness but the idea doesn't seem to resonate sofar, postively or not. Perhaps my small modest question  drowned  between the impulsive quotequotemultiquote actions lately  :) .

Not sure what I can help provide you with. Everyone here seems to have different expectations. Most of what you read on this thread is purely anecdotal. i.e. "adjective (of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research."

I would like to think we could see trends with the personal experiences of so many people but when we read these experiences we don't know how true anyone here has been with dosage and regularity. So let's be real. I've been true to my regiment for 872 days. I did take a month off initially because I didn't think I was getting any benefits and it took a cold turkey approach to realize I had benefited and in ways I didn't expect. That being said I'm still not convinced this stuff is the end all be all supplement but the evidence tells me I can't discount my experience because someone else didn't see results. 

Have any of you read "The Ravages Of Old Age Could Have Been Averted Sixty Years Ago? HISTORY OF NICOTINAMIDE AND AGING" Now here is someone who has traced back the B3 story to 1953 with a long line of research papers. We can take this back much further if we look at the history of Pellagra and we find accounts dating back to 1735. The research into this disease marks the the feeble beginnings of our understanding of cellular metabolism. Here we exchange anecdotal accounts of subtle changes but there is a long unbroken story backed up with research observations going back 60-years and disease states caused by deficiencies going back to the 1700's. Only after the discovery of yeast in 1927 alleviating the symptoms did the pieces of the puzzle begin to come together.

What few of us realize is as a result of curing this disease we live in a B3 fortified world and now without the obvious suffering and deaths around us we've forgotten our roots.

So how much of this story is related to aging? Everyone's seen the charts and we know NAD is at the crux of our oxidative metabolism. There are many theories as to why the decline takes place and I'm not here to debate them. One thing for sure is our mitochondria will diminish with age and become less productive which isn't a good recipe for cellular maintenance and continued health.

So what are our options, well your here reading about one and everyone else is here like moths to the flame. NAD boosting has real, measurable effects and here we are hashing out what everyone thinks and feels. I think we'll see more data over larger study populations in the months and years to follow and some of our anecdotal stories will be confirmed and other stories dismissed. Still others want to see anti-aging results and for now I say good luck with that. So far I see suggestive results but the jury is still out. For me all I want to do is blunt my inflammation problems and as long as I can manage that, my expectations have been met, but I can't speak for anyone else.

Thx for your careful reply Brian. I agree that this thread will never really yield useful patterns, I suppose it's more about sharing experiences, useful tips and emotions. That said I will go on trying to interest longer term users to post at least one more time about their present situation.

I was not aware that Bill Sardi has payed attention to NR. I will take a selective but careful look at the sources he quotes!

#756 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:41 PM

I took the liberty to send a PM to  Michael, BigLabRat, Warner, Docmaas who have posted interesting contributions on this thread last year or early this year. It would be great if they want to support the quality and coherence of this topic by reporting their present take on things.

Earlier I received a kind reply by Midas that he is still taking NR and that he is convinced that it is a great help in improving a serious medical condition.

#757 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:19 PM

Thx for your careful reply Brian. I agree that this thread will never really yield useful patterns, I suppose it's more about sharing experiences, useful tips and emotions. That said I will go on trying to interest longer term users to post at least one more time about their present situation.

I was not aware that Bill Sardi has payed attention to NR. I will take a selective but careful look at the sources he quotes!

I didn't mean to push Bill Sardi as an unchallenged credible source. Sometimes, and in the case of B3 I feel he identified a trend I've seen in the papers I've reviewed and why I referenced B3's feeble beginnings and our reliance on it in fortified foods. It was one of the first vitamins to be added to our grains and today we've forgotten why.

Often we get tunnel vision when researching subjects like (NR) but the NAD precursor story started long before (NR) arrived on the scene. Many of the benefits we attribute specifically to (NR) have shown up in association to other precursors to greater or lessor degree. We should also be aware not all precursors are created equal and take different paths to NAD, hence why only niacin seems to lower cholesterol, not niacinamide. Also the amounts (Dosage) we can tolerate differs from precursor to precursor and in relation to our health (Liver health mainly). So keep in mind, liver and kidney health should be considered when speaking with your doctor. 

Bill Sardi is a vitamin advocate followed by many. I can only speak from my personal experience with (NR) which I haven't seen him comment on. All in all I see the animal studies as suggestive but we still need the human clinical studies to resonate along with them before embracing them as the gospel truth. What I do see as encouraging is these B3 lines of research are merging from animal to human and attributes of older B3 studies, including human trials, also make similar health observations "See Possibly effective for," from the U.S. National Library of Medicine. So to me I think this is a story worth telling and one that is still being written as we uncover the underlying metabolism.

Got to head into work, this mass shooting has us all on 12 hour shifts at the news station. I'll check back in tomorrow when I'm able to come up for air.

Edited by Bryan_S, 12 June 2016 - 07:23 PM.

#758 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:51 AM

Got to head into work, this mass shooting has us all on 12 hour shifts at the news station. I'll check back in tomorrow when I'm able to come up for air.

Cont: Said I'd check back in, still haven't come up for air, it still might be a few days yet . . . its been a tough day to digest, my heart go's out to the families of the victims, my condolences to all those affected. I was happy to see many of my friends safe and in the office as I arrived here at work. Our Office is just little more than a mile from the Pulse Orlando nightclub and a few have mentioned attending that club to me before. I spoke with one friend who watched the police cars pass her as she was in the vicinity with her husband at another club not knowing what tragedy was unfolding just a few blocks away. They still haven't identified all the victims and I pray like so many that no one I knew was injured or worse. I already know way to much and would like to forget it all. This is one of those instances where I don't think I'll be posting anything new for a few days. I'm incredibly saddened. I wish all of you the best, its time to pause and take stock in those you love.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#759 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:04 AM

Hello Bryan,

Here, far away on another continent, we are shocked and grieved, too.  Compared to this, NR is a puny matter. Leave it aside for awhile. I hope you and your family and friends will prove unharmed.

• Agree x 3
  • like x 1

#760 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

no words for this senseless act (as well as the singers death) and the incredible sadness it caused. Brian wish you, family and friends strength.

Edited by stefan_001, 13 June 2016 - 05:48 PM.

• Agree x 1

#761 Tom Andre F. (ex shinobi)

• 423 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:24 PM

My support to you Bryan and all of you that are touched (but in a way we are all touched) by this drama.. We here look to improve lifespan, others do only the opposite. Sad world

#762 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:53 AM

I took the liberty to send a PM to  Michael, BigLabRat, Warner, Docmaas who have posted interesting contributions on this thread last year or early this year. It would be great if they want to support the quality and coherence of this topic by reporting their present take on things.

Earlier I received a kind reply by Midas that he is still taking NR and that he is convinced that it is a great help in improving a serious medical condition.

So far I have received one reaction: docmaas still takes 250mg daily and ascribes his better health partly to that.

I myself still have a very positive view of NR (also after studying some of the research Bryan linked to above), 300 to 400mg per day give me a mild and stable physical energy. On the crosstrainer I can now keep my heart rate above 160 for some minutes without extreme exertion. On the downside NR does not prevent my eyesight from worsening  :sad:

Here is a funfact I stumbled upon: taking 100mg before bed for me noticeably enhances 'nocturnal erectile activity'  :-). By early morning the effect subsides: morning erections remain for me (I am 64) an on and off thing.

• like x 1

#763 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:35 PM

Hi, All--

Apologies for my long absence. I've been swamped by a huge work project.

As with most things, I found NR to have a strong effect initially, but then stabilizing to a new baseline. I think it was definitely an overall positive.

I took a vacation from NR for two months because I wanted to clear things out while trying a new regimen (PQQ, acetyl L-carnitine, ALA, and AMPK enhancers). This has given me a big uplift in energy and mood. I plan to stack NR back into all this starting next month. I'm hoping for some synergy.

I'm also thinking of loading in some honokiol. Does anyone have a favorite brand/dose?

#764 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:16 AM

My experience might not apply to others, as I have my own unique microbiome, nutrient balance, diet, supplement regimen, medications, stress levels and intermittent insomnia.

I have been taking Niagen at the dose of 100mg since LEF added it to one of their Resveratrol products. Since adding the HPN Niagen 3 months ago, I have taken between 250 to 500 mgs per day.

I used to spread the dose out between AM and the afternoon. I noticed a little mental fatigue after my 250 mg AM doses, so I cut back to 250 mg total per day. I now take it opened into my mouth simply when I feel like it. Rarely first thing in the AM. Usually around 1 pm or so. I think that I get a better energy boost. Maybe it has to do with food intake, or perhaps some other supplement has had a chance to get into my system which helps the Niagen. I do take Resveratrol, and 50 mg Pterostilbine in the AM, and 50 mg Pterostilbine in the afternoon.

I did not notice any effect at the dose of 100 mg which came with the LEF Resveratrol combination. Something about my current regimen has given me very good energy to work for several hours around our yard without fatigue or the need to take any over the counter pain medicine for soreness. My wife has commented about my ability to work tirelessly. Something is helping me to not be sore. I used to take Ibuprofen when I would work hard. In the last 18 months, I have only taken Acetaminophen twice for headaches. No other pain medicine.

After reading some of the site members experiences with Honokiol, I decided to try it. I have taken 200 mg of the Swanson's 90% Honokiol product. I also take a combination of Melatonin 3 mg, B6 5 mg, Calcium 40 mg, L-Theanine 25 mg, GABA 25 mg and 8.5 mg of a blend of Chamomile and Valerian extracts. It is Schiff Melatonin Ultra. Through the years, I have mostly taken ½ dose each night, but periodically have taken the full dose. After the first night of Honokiol, I cut to the ½ dose level as I have been on the full dose.

I have been kind of mentally groggy since starting the Honokiol. Only 4 nights so far. It has enabled me to sleep 6 hours straight through the night with pretty vivid dreams. Generally, I do not remember dreams. This is complicated by the fact that I have been eating very low carb, high fat for 18 months. I have taken a week off and have been eating some Thai, Chinese and Mexican foods in addition to desserts.

Hi, All--

As with most things, I found NR to have a strong effect initially, but then stabilizing to a new baseline. I think it was definitely an overall positive.

I took a vacation from NR for two months because I wanted to clear things out while trying a new regimen (PQQ, acetyl L-carnitine, ALA, and AMPK enhancers). This has given me a big uplift in energy and mood. I plan to stack NR back into all this starting next month. I'm hoping for some synergy.

I'm also thinking of loading in some honokiol. Does anyone have a favorite brand/dose?

Edited by Heisok, 20 June 2016 - 12:22 AM.

#765 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:59 AM

Hi, All--

Lot of honokiol info here:

http://www.timelessl...x.php/honokiol/

#766 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:24 AM

I am quoting myself below. I decided to look at when exactly I started on the Life Extension Resveratrol with Niagen. I looked at my order history, and it was in December 2014. That was about 18 months ago or about when I decided to stop taking over the counter or other pain/ anti-inflammatory drugs such as Aspirin, Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen. I stopped the drugs due to a desire to protect my stomach. This could be a coincidence. Since I started taking Niagen separately, I discontinued the LEF version for another one of their resveratrol products without Niagen.

"I did not notice any effect at the dose of 100 mg which came with the LEF Resveratrol combination. Something about my current regimen has given me very good energy to work for several hours around our yard without fatigue or the need to take any over the counter pain medicine for soreness. My wife has commented about my ability to work tirelessly. Something is helping me to not be sore. I used to take Ibuprofen when I would work hard. In the last 18 months, I have only taken Acetaminophen twice for headaches. No other pain medicine."

#767 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:57 PM

I've been using NR for about 3 weeks now. I started with 125mg per day and noticed nothing. After about 10 days I went with 250mg per day and noticed some effects. I seem to be more motivated now but that is very subjective so not sure. The other effect was my appetite went way down. My food intake has reduced by about 10% per day without a bunch of hunger pangs. That alone makes it well worth the cost. I may go with swanson's deals, they offer 20% off occasionally on larger orders which brings the 3 for $130 deal down to 104 which is competitive with the 6 bottle deal on the group buy. I might go with the 6 bottle deal later or perhaps the 3 now to make sure it keeps working for me. Then the 12 if I'm still sold on it.

#768 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:40 PM

I don't trust Swanson at the moment on this, they're very hit or miss on label accuracy and quality. I'm going with HPN but then again they don't have any record at all on Labdoor. Most of the vendors of Niagen are either unknowns on there, have a poor record or have a good record but rip people off with the amount they put in a bottle. You want to go above 500mg per day if it's going to have any real effect, 300 in the morning and 250 in the afternoon in my experience, but I'm 78kg. The half-life is only 4 hrs or so from what I understand, and the Chromadex "study" (aka the poster) shows the best effects on NAD+ are 1g and greater. NR is super expensive but this is the bleeding edge, hopefully the price will go down eventually.

Edited by Nate-2004, 24 June 2016 - 06:49 PM.

• Ill informed x 2
  • Needs references x 1

#769 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2016 - 04:05 AM

Niagen is Niagen whichever version you buy. There can be a difference in the makeup of the capsule or the excipients used.

I will stick with the HPN version, because of the fact that it is just NR and Microcrystalline Cellulose excipient in the capsule. Nothing else. They are also giving us some discount, and the service has been great.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#770 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:29 PM

I don't trust Swanson at the moment on this, they're very hit or miss on label accuracy and quality

You must have missed that what Swanson offers is actually a HPN 1 or 3-pack so your note on quality variance and labeling is a bit misguided.

• Informative x 1

#771 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

I don't trust Swanson at the moment on this, they're very hit or miss on label accuracy and quality

You must have missed that what Swanson offers is actually a HPN 1 or 3-pack so your note on quality variance and labeling is a bit misguided.

Ah I didn't realize that. I was mainly referring to the Swanson brand items and their rating on Labdoor. I'm not always well informed but I try to be.

#772 youthseeker

• 4 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:38 PM

Hi everyone. I'm a 45 year old female, I work out with HIIT workouts 45min a day, 4-5 days a week. I'm trying to lose 20#, and since my mom was recently diagnosed with Alzheimers, I'm investigating supplements to help.

I started taking Niagen in May. I started at 250mg a day and felt great. I didn't want to live without it. I read many comments on here about users taking 1gram a day, and thought I should increase my dose. A few weeks into it, I started taking 500mg a day, and added pterostillbene. I experienced a few "crashes" that I attributed to low carbing, too hard a workout, stress etc. I have been at 500mg a day for a month, not feeling as noticeable a difference as I did when I first started taking the Niagen.

I decided to increase my dose to 750mg a day. every time I have done this I have crashed, sleeping hard for at least 2 hours in the middle of the day. I have read about overmethlyation but don't fully understand the process and why there are those that can tolerate 1gram a day. I am expecting a shipment of Live Cell Research's LA-3 supplement to arrive any day now, and will be adding that to my regimine. Any advice on if I should cycle the Niagen, maybe going off of it for a few weeks while I take LA-3? Any contraindications that anyone knows of with Niagen and LA-3? What causes these crashes with Niagen? Thanks in advance

Edited by youthseeker, 11 July 2016 - 10:48 PM.

• Informative x 1

#773 Tom Andre F. (ex shinobi)

• 423 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:46 PM

Hi everyone. I'm a 45 year old female, I work out with HIIT workouts 45min a day, 4-5 days a week. I'm trying to lose 20#, and since my mom was recently diagnosed with Alzheimers, I'm investigating supplements to help.

I started taking Niagen in May. I started at 250mg a day and felt great. I didn't want to live without it. I read many comments on here about users taking 1gram a day, and thought I should increase my dose. A few weeks into it, I started taking 500mg a day, and added pterostillbene. I experienced a few "crashes" that I attributed to low carbing, too hard a workout, stress etc. I have been at 500mg a day for a month, not feeling as noticeable a difference as I did when I first started taking the Niagen.

I decided to increase my dose to 750mg a day. every time I have done this I have crashed, sleeping hard for at least 2 hours in the middle of the day. I have read about overmethlyation but don't fully understand the process and why there are those that can tolerate 1gram a day. I am expecting a shipment of Live Cell Research's LA-3 supplement to arrive any day now, and will be adding that to my regimine. Any advice on if I should cycle the Niagen, maybe going off of it for a few weeks while I take LA-3? Any contraindications that anyone knows of with Niagen and LA-3? What causes these crashes with Niagen? Thanks in advance

Hi,

overmethylation is actually the opposite: niacin, nicotinamide (half Niagen molar weight) trap methyl, so do not bring to overmethylation. But what you report is interesting, I think you should use niagen along B vitamins such as folate (a form of B9), b12 and B6. And maybe keep at a lower dosage since 750mg of Niagen represent 1589% RDA after all (750mg niagen = 325mg nicotinamide). Let us know your feedback please and if possible try to monitor your homocysteine level

#774 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:10 AM

After three and a half months of using 400mg of NR perday (see my previous posts) I am still convinced that it is a moderate force to the good. For the time being I will not up my doses, but as soon as the safety profile will be more specific I probably will.  I see no real reason for concern but you never know.  Homocysteine levels, for instance: mine were checked in february and one week ago. They were well into the normal range then as well as now.

Like someone here posted already it seems to be easier to postpone breakfast  (intermittent fasting) if I take 200mg of NR at 8 oçlock in the morning.

(A fitness magazine here in the Netherlands featured an article about the latest trends and mentioned in passing that more and more people seem to take nicotinamide riboside. Especially males who do resistance training seem to profit from  taking it....)

Edited by harkijn, 15 July 2016 - 08:12 AM.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 2

#775 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:31 PM

After three and a half months of using 400mg of NR perday (see my previous posts) I am still convinced that it is a moderate force to the good. For the time being I will not up my doses, but as soon as the safety profile will be more specific I probably will. I see no real reason for concern but you never know. Homocysteine levels, for instance: mine were checked in february and one week ago. They were well into the normal range then as well as now.

Like someone here posted already it seems to be easier to postpone breakfast (intermittent fasting) if I take 200mg of NR at 8 oçlock in the morning.

(A fitness magazine here in the Netherlands featured an article about the latest trends and mentioned in passing that more and more people seem to take nicotinamide riboside. Especially males who do resistance training seem to profit from taking it....)

Thanks for updating, in particular on the homocysteine levels as that was such hot topic. On the gym side I can believe the observations on resistance training as I have noticed some benefits also, nothing massive but noticeable.
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#776 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:42 PM

i have been taking 700mg a month with no positive effects at all. if anything, i felt it made me more tired after working long hours. is the dose too low perhaps maybe?

#777 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:50 PM

i have been taking 700mg a month with no positive effects at all. if anything, i felt it made me more tired after working long hours. is the dose too low perhaps maybe?

I take less than that, perhaps you are not old enough to notice the difference?

#778 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:59 PM

stefan, 30s, but i feel old and tired i was taking in hope to mitigate fatigue and depression. i read it works to provide not only physical energy but also mental energy and mood stabilization possibility but then i dont really think simple pills will ever do that anyway. i should be more into advanced research on peptides and stem cells

#779 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:13 PM

stefan, 30s, but i feel old and tired i was taking in hope to mitigate fatigue and depression. i read it works to provide not only physical energy but also mental energy and mood stabilization possibility but then i dont really think simple pills will ever do that anyway. i should be more into advanced research on peptides and stem cells

I am later 40s so in that sense I guess there is a difference in effect. Still surprised you dont notice amything at that dose. This may seem counterproductive but perhaps lower the dose a bit and give it another couple months. Agree there are no miracle pills but also I think no overnight miracles.

#780 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:26 PM

You're only in your 30s!?! I don't think you'll notice too much and I also don't think nad depletion is your issue yet, you could do well on much less than 700mg. Go get a sleep study from a qualified university hospital like U. Penn or somewhere. You may have sleep apnea. I have sleep apnea and when I got on CPAP in my mid 30s, after 2 months my body caught up and I had energy through the roof by comparison. I also suggest eating an apple for breakfast (with peanut butter). Super energy right there, pectin is good for endurance. Also exercise 4+ times per week if you aren't already. If you drink a lot of coffee you should probably quit for a good while, like 5 months, reset yourself and ease it back in slowly if you want it again. Get plenty of probiotics, etc. There's a ton of things you can do all at once to improve energy, it's probably not any one particular thing.

Edited by Nate-2004, 16 July 2016 - 08:27 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By