#1231 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

It has to be cycled?

#1232 sub7

• 304 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:11 AM

So far I estimate I've consumed about 20 bottles.  The second bottle had amazing effects on me, whereas the first bottle did nothing.  Bottle #2 is why I continued taking NR.  Bottle #2 is why I continued taking NR in spite of the foot pain that began when I was on bottle #2.   Bottle #20 is effecting me the way bottle #2 effected me: truly amazing results. Like holy sh*t results.   When I switched to the more expensive brand for 2 bottles, the effects were also very positive, but not at the level of bottle #2 and bottle #20.  And for the other bottles of my usual brand, I'm not saying all the other bottles except #2 and #20 were duds. Rather I think there is spectrum wherein some bottles were more effective than others -- and the last several were not so great.  However, bottle #2 and #20 stand out as being superior to all the others.  

Were all 20 bottles from the same manufacturer or were those different brands of Nicotinamide Riboside?

• Good Point x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#1233 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:53 AM

I've re-posted this here:  http://www.longecity...e-4#entry815489

Edited by APBT, 13 May 2017 - 01:37 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#1234 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

There has been some discussion about NR limiting exercise performance. I have been taking 250mg of NR since early 2016 and can report that my Functional Threshold Power is at an all time high and my weight lifting is near it's all time high. I would say my power output on a bicycle is about 10% higher then any time in the last ten years as measured by a Powertap meter. Many confounding factors but for me I seriously doubt NR has had a significant negative effect on my strength. N=1

Edited by VP., 12 May 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#1235 soulprogrammer

• 168 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

I have taken NR for almost 2 months. I measured my push up - max 80 sets before NR. Now I can do up to max 90 sets. So, for my case, NR increase my exercise performance, albeit not a lot.

My stamina also a lot better. I always walk to buy food everyday, quite a distance from my house. Everytime I on the return trip, I always feel a bit of exhausted. Now, no more. 

I still have doubt on the study of the mice, the credibility of the authors (only 1 paper published, non-PhD holder), and the open access journal they published. If this results is confirmed again by another Prof Level researcher and published in high impact journals, then I will believe.

Edited by soulprogrammer, 12 May 2017 - 04:03 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1236 jjnz

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:45 AM

I've re-posted this here:  http://www.longecity...e-5#entry815490

Edited by APBT, 13 May 2017 - 01:42 PM.

#1237 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:02 AM

I've re-posted this here:  http://www.longecity...e-5#entry815491

Edited by APBT, 13 May 2017 - 01:45 PM.

#1238 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

Please post anything regarding vendors in this thread:  http://www.longecity...scussion/page-1

#1239 Milarepa

• 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:31 PM

The concern about NR limiting exercise performance is based on a flawed rat study published last year.  The main problem with the study is not that they used rats, but that they used YOUNG rats (four months old).  There is no reason to think that young rats or young people are normally NAD+ deficient, and therefore no reason to think that NR supplementation would have a positive effect.  Another problem with the study is that the doses were huge (300mg/kg, which is nearly 100x what humans take), and therefore with possible toxic effects.  The study's authors did not qualify their conclusion properly, which has caused conclusion.  

The proper conclusion would be something more like this: Young rats super-mega-dosing NR experienced somewhat decreased stamina when we tried to drown them.  A better conclusion would have been that NR exhibits only modest toxicity, EVEN when super-mega-dosing, and EVEN when no NAD+ deficiency was measured.

There has been some discussion about NR limiting exercise performance. I have been taking 250mg of NR since early 2016 and can report that my Functional Threshold Power is at an all time high and my weight lifting is near it's all time high. I would say my power output on a bicycle is about 10% higher then any time in the last ten years as measured by a Powertap meter. Many confounding factors but for me I seriously doubt NR has had a significant negative effect on my strength. N=1

You can read the Young Rat study here: 

https://jissn.biomed...2970-016-0143-x

• Well Written x 3
  • Informative x 2
  • Agree x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#1240 lost69

• 285 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

is it possible that nad also helps bacteria or flu viruses?i got a flu and used 2 antibiotics for 6-8 days each, they clear the infection but when i stop them and get better to normal life/swimming the infection comes back.

i never had such a problem and it was such a long time i had no flu that i dont remember when, it is also the first time i get easily sweat all the time on back hair and neck and very sweat every night, this never stopped even on antibiotics.

is it possible nad or C60 helps bacteria too so infection is never totally cleared?

• Good Point x 1

#1241 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

If it was the Flu, as a Virus antibiotics are not effective.  If you had a Bacterial infection, then it might be effective, and your question is a good one anyway. Does NR effect Viruses and Bacteria.

#1242 lost69

• 285 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:37 PM

yes it was a flu plus bacteiral infection (flu virus works weakening immune system so that the weakest immue systems also get bactieral infections and dormant viruses reactvation..herpes...i had them all reactivated)

antibiotics got a fast responce especially the second one klacid which is very potent, the problem is there is a very low level infection without signs, except incredible night sweating which is continuous it just lowers on antibiotics and gets back full off them

#1243 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

yes it was a flu plus bacteiral infection (flu virus works weakening immune system so that the weakest immue systems also get bactieral infections and dormant viruses reactvation..herpes...i had them all reactivated)

antibiotics got a fast responce especially the second one klacid which is very potent, the problem is there is a very low level infection without signs, except incredible night sweating which is continuous it just lowers on antibiotics and gets back full off them

In case of doubt drop the supps couple weeks.

#1244 lost69

• 285 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:00 PM

yesterday i lowered from 5 100mg caps of nad to only 2 caps at breakfast and i got a U shape improvement when i woke up this morning: no throatache, nothing in the lungs, very little sweating at night

today no nad at all, if i see no sweating at all at night within 2 days i m afraid it was nad helping bacterial infection

did anyone take high dose nad 500mg daily during a bacterial infection (medium to severe infection, not light infections)?

Edited by lost69, 27 May 2017 - 12:01 PM.

• Informative x 1

#1245 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

yesterday i lowered from 5 100mg caps of nad to only 2 caps at breakfast and i got a U shape improvement when i woke up this morning: no throatache, nothing in the lungs, very little sweating at night

today no nad at all, if i see no sweating at all at night within 2 days i m afraid it was nad helping bacterial infection

did anyone take high dose nad 500mg daily during a bacterial infection (medium to severe infection, not light infections)?

Its an interesting obvervation. I needed an anti biotic treatment for a harsh cough about 1 year ago. It was very persistened. Never had that. I also stopped NR and it went off. After a short break I restarted NR and no problems. I chalked it up to coincidence. Something to keep an eye on.
  • Informative x 1

#1246 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

So, can we get this straight, are you taking NAD or NR (Nicotinamide Riboside/Niagen)?

#1247 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

Niagen could potentially help viruses and bacteria to survive. So better stop it when being treated for infections.
  • Needs references x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#1248 lost69

• 285 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

So, can we get this straight, are you taking NAD or NR (Nicotinamide Riboside/Niagen)?

sorry it was NR pills from life extension 

#1249 lost69

• 285 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:21 PM

Niagen could potentially help viruses and bacteria to survive. So better stop it when being treated for infections.

do you think C60 can also help infections?

i stopped c60 few weeks ago because i didn t want to mix it with antibiotics so i have no observations about it

#1250 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

do you think C60 can also help infections?

i stopped c60 few weeks ago because i didn t want to mix it with antibiotics so i have no observations about it

Nobody knows the mechanism of how C60 works, so hard to say....Again in doubt take a break and restart after couple weeks.

Edited by stefan_001, 27 May 2017 - 05:25 PM.

#1251 accord

• 18 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:47 PM

Regarding infection and Niagen, this research paper talks about how bacteria utilizes NAD+, and if I understand correctly, when bacteria is present, the CD38 gets activated which is well-known to downregulate NAD+ production.

So an easy way is that when CD38 is activated, you should stop taking Niagen, but we don't know when it happens :D

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC1595515/

Although, when I feel like I'm starting to get sick (very early stage), I actually INCREASE my NAD+ intake and it seems to help. Since NAD+ is also used by the immune system, I think it is excellent for prevention, but if you're already taking antibiotics, you probably long passed that early stage :-)

This is my theory. Anyone any thoughts on this?

#1252 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:27 PM

CD38 is activated for older adults due to inflammation. The main reason for lower NAD+

#1253 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

is anybody here taking large doses of NR?

I'm now taking 750 mg first thing in the morning empty stomach, each time I increase my dosage I feel better.

Is there some upper limit where it's pointless to increase dosage?

what is the largest dosage anybody here is taking?

#1254 Oakman

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:19 PM

After starting with 250 mg/d early on long ago, at a point (when I was buying capsules of 333 mg each) I took x2 AM, x1 PM. or total 1 g/d.

Did I notice anything different with 1 g than taking less? No, not really. 

So I stepped back to x2 250 mg capsules AM, and recently I got some soreness in my abdomen, below my rib cage.

Not sure why, or if it has anything to do with NR, but anyway... I've stepped down to x1 250 mg capsule in the AM

Honestly, I couldn't swear I can tell any major difference in energy or whatever, regardless of the varying doses I've taken. And less save $$.

Either I'm resistant to varying dosages, or it does nothing, or it's done whatever it can do for me over the last 10 months and so I don't notice any (new) changes.

• Informative x 2

#1255 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:20 AM

After starting with 250 mg/d early on long ago, at a point (when I was buying capsules of 333 mg each) I took x2 AM, x1 PM. or total 1 g/d.
Did I notice anything different with 1 g than taking less? No, not really.
So I stepped back to x2 250 mg capsules AM, and recently I got some soreness in my abdomen, below my rib cage.
Not sure why, or if it has anything to do with NR, but anyway... I've stepped down to x1 250 mg capsule in the AM

Honestly, I couldn't swear I can tell any major difference in energy or whatever, regardless of the varying doses I've taken. And less save $$.
Either I'm resistant to varying dosages, or it does nothing, or it's done whatever it can do for me over the last 10 months and so I don't notice any (new) changes.

Same here.

#1256 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:17 AM

A more strange pattern ahs developped over the past 12 months. I get bitten by mosquitos a lot. Over the years I got bitten less and less, that pattern has changed. Moreover my body reacts furiously against mosquito bites, there is mroe swelling than ever before. Perhaps this is not because of NR alone but as result of epigenetic changes that come with NR, other supplements, pro-biotics.

#1257 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:47 AM

That might mean your immune system is stronger.
  • Disagree x 1

#1258 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

That crossed my mind wrt the reaction. Certainly the immuniy system is alive, but its somewhat overdoing it. Anyways its change in a decades ongoing pattern. Given this started to happen approx. 1-1.5 year after starting to use NR and other supplementation I think it must be connected. On way or another some "light proof" you can impact your body state when even the mosquitos notice.....

That crossed my mind wrt the reaction. Certainly the immuniy system is alive, but its somewhat overdoing it. Anyways its change in a decades ongoing pattern. Given this started to happen approx. 1-1.5 year after starting to use NR and other supplementation I think it must be connected. On way or another some "light proof" you can impact your body state when even the mosquitos notice.....

#1259 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:40 PM

A more strange pattern ahs developped over the past 12 months. I get bitten by mosquitos a lot. Over the years I got bitten less and less, that pattern has changed. Moreover my body reacts furiously against mosquito bites, there is mroe swelling than ever before. Perhaps this is not because of NR alone but as result of epigenetic changes that come with NR, other supplements, pro-biotics.

The reaction is certainly an immune response. But keep in mind that there are many species of mosquitoes, and they often evoke different responses. In addition, mosquitoes may be carrying different germs or viruses from species to species, or year-to-year, etc.

FWIW, mosquitoes are reputed to be attracted or repelled by various supplements. In Hawaii, taking a strong dose of B vitamins is supposed to repel mosquitoes--and it seems to work. But since this is with a large volume of mixed B-Complex, I have no idea which B vitamin might be responsible.

NR is B-vitamin-ish, so maybe the little buggers are sensitive to it--but instead of being offput, they say 'yum-yum.'

Mosquitoes use many clues to finding their victims (no doubt including many we don't know about yet). But CO2 and high body temperature are among the attractants, so if NR has increased your metabolism, that could make you more attractive to them!

#1260 Supierce

• 94 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:26 AM

You aren't alone. For the past year I had a markedly increased allergic response to all kinds of things - insect bites (just as you describe), airborne allergens, contact dermatitis, as well as eczema that had been absent for years. I developed a strong allergic reaction to the adhesive in band-aids, of all things.

A couple of months ago, after reading here of a similar experience, I cut back from 500 to 250 mg/d and these things are mostly gone. I suspect this was due to an over-heightening of my immune system, but that's only a guess.

Edited by Supierce, 07 June 2017 - 12:27 AM.

• Ill informed x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Topic Led By