* * * * - 11 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#1261 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:25 AM

A more strange pattern ahs developped over the past 12 months. I get bitten by mosquitos a lot. Over the years I got bitten less and less, that pattern has changed. Moreover my body reacts furiously against mosquito bites, there is mroe swelling than ever before. Perhaps this is not because of NR alone but as result of epigenetic changes that come with NR, other supplements, pro-biotics.

You aren't alone. For the past year I had a markedly increased allergic response to all kinds of things - insect bites (just as you describe), airborne allergens, contact dermatitis, as well as eczema that had been absent for years. I developed a strong allergic reaction to the adhesive in band-aids, of all things.

A couple of months ago, after reading here of a similar experience, I cut back from 500 to 250 mg/d and these things are mostly gone. I suspect this was due to an over-heightening of my immune system, but that's only a guess.

Thanks for sharing that. Well summer is just starting so its likely I get plenty more bites so I will reduce dose a bit to test this. Lately I have be using 750mg, so I will go back to 500mg a few weeks. I have wondered about this topic in general, when I was younger I has also issues with allergies etc. That all faded somewhat over the years.If indeed NAD+ boosting rejuvenates then it would be only logical those sympthoms return as well.

Edited by stefan_001, 07 June 2017 - 05:27 AM.

#1262 hsibai

• 44 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

Today was my first dose of 333mg x 4 of NR. All I had today was a double espresso and 330 ml orange juice. I walked a lot today and still feel full of energy at 7pm. No side effects but this is just the first day. Planing to follow the Mitochondrial manipulation protocol discussed in another thread.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

#1263 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:58 PM

Today was my first dose of 333mg x 4 of NR. All I had today was a double espresso and 330 ml orange juice. I walked a lot today and still feel full of energy at 7pm. No side effects but this is just the first day. Planing to follow the Mitochondrial manipulation protocol discussed in another thread.

That is a pretty high dose. I Would recommend only one pill per day
  • Informative x 1

#1264 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:00 PM

This is likely just coincidence, but since this is the personal experiences thread, and a question about this came up; here I go. My wife is exposed to most illnesses which go around as she works in a school. Generally I fight off illnesses when colds or the flu are around, and do not get sick. I have taken from 100 mg to as high as 500 mg daily of NR.

I had an interesting experience yesterday. For about the last month in my region, a cold like illness has effected several people I know. Cold like symptoms of mild fever of around 100 degrees. mild headache, mild lethargy and a non productive cough to start. After the initial day or 2 there seems to be an increased lung problem with more coughing, and in at least one case I know of,  they have pneumonia requiring hospitalization. My wife has been coughing some for 2 weeks. I had avoided getting the illness.

I take 375 mg of NR in the AM. Another member here wanted to know which brand might be best to take by emptying the capsule in their mouth. Since I had 3 different NR bottles which each do not have silica or MG stearate, I decided to confirm my opinion about which I thought was best. I ended up taking 625 extra mg in the afternoon. Within a couple hours I started to develop the symptoms of the illness with a rapidly increasing fever. It went from normal of about 98.4 to 101.1 in 4 hours. As an aside, 3 hours prior to that fever peak, I had started high dose Vitamin C. 23 grams so far in less than 14 hours. My fever is down quite a bit, but that seems to be what happened to my wife also, so no conclusion.  Due to taking large doses of Magnesium, I have a strategy to avoid bowel issues by taking it with very little water, or food. I wait around 1/2 hour from my last fluids before dosing, and wait a 1/2 hour before food or water after dosing. It works in spite of taking well over 2 gm of Magnesium per day, keeping any single dose well under 400 mgs. The Vitamin C powder I have on hand is Magnesium Ascorbate which provides about 75 mg of Magnesium with 1 gm of vitamin C. That is not the form I normally take, so I have discontinued other magnesium supplements.

Dr. Cathcart has a theory that bowel tolerance of Vitamin C can be effected by the bodies need for it. That could be why I have been able to take such high doses so far.

"In 1970, I discovered that the sicker a patient was, the more ascorbic acid he would tolerate by mouth before diarrhea was produced. At least 80% of adult patients will tolerate 10 to 15 grams of ascorbic acid fine crystals in 1/2 cup water divided into 4 doses per 24 hours without having diarrhea. The astonishing finding was that all patients, tolerant of ascorbic acid, can take greater amounts of the substance orally without having diarrhea when ill or under stress. This increased tolerance is somewhat proportional to the toxicity of the disease being treated. Tolerance is increased some by stress (e.g., anxiety, exercise, heat, cold, etc.)(see FIGURE I). Admittedly, increasing the frequency of doses increases tolerance perhaps to half again as much, but the tolerances of sometimes over 200 grams per 24 hours were totally unexpected.

http://www.doctoryou.../titration.html

lost69:

"is it possible that nad also helps bacteria or flu viruses?i got a flu and used 2 antibiotics for 6-8 days each, they clear the infection but when i stop them and get better to normal life/swimming the infection comes back.

i never had such a problem and it was such a long time i had no flu that i dont remember when, it is also the first time i get easily sweat all the time on back hair and neck and very sweat every night, this never stopped even on antibiotics.

is it possible nad or C60 helps bacteria too so infection is never totally cleared?"

MikeDC:

"Niagen could potentially help viruses and bacteria to survive. So better stop it when being treated for infections."

Edited by Heisok, 12 June 2017 - 05:01 PM.

• Informative x 2

#1265 Journey2016

• 86 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:15 PM

And update on my Niagen use--

Ive been using 3 items to help me overcome addiction.

Niagen , NAD nasal Spray and Synaptamine (nano amino acid for RDS)

Ive taken 750 niagen in the morning ans before bed, with just niagen alone the chNges have been amazing, ive been here before so it was expected.

Stand out things are , guge energy and waking up fresh a few hours before i normally would do!

Ive been getting up at 5.30 and jumping out of bee fresh and going for a run, ans then onto the gym,

My addiction cravings seem to be gone!

Im someone who has an everyday addiction ans am now 10 days clear, only once in 11 years has this happened!

I feel alive and very progressive

Thanka
  • Informative x 2
  • Cheerful x 2

#1266 jjnz

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:10 AM

well done, keep it up !

#1267 floweryriddle

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:57 AM

24 healthy male here but hey you can never start early enough.

Taking 250mg daily for almost a month now without any noticeable effects but I didn't expect to notice anything when I bought it in the first place. Counting more on internal effects

Some dark circles under my eyes got weaker and my girlfriend says my face looks more puffy and young (she didn't know I was taking NR) but I'm taking that with a grain of salt. Morning runs seem easier as well but again, it could just be because I'm more getting used to them.

For the dark circles, I started with Vitamin K2 at a similar time to NR and am using a Creme for almost a year that didn't seem to do anything before.

Question: should I increase my intake to 500-750mg as some other people have stated?
Should I be taking resveratrol with it and if yes how much?

My daily shake consists for a multi vit (Thorne research basic /2 but only 1 a day instead of 2), K2, NR, Magnesium citrate, curcumin, D3

And I'm planning to introduce collagen hydrolysate and Hyaluronic Acid starting next week.

Edited by dvstr, 13 June 2017 - 04:01 AM.

#1268 Female Scientist

• 57 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:50 AM

I'm a 49 year old female, taking Niagen 250 mg per day for 15 months. After several months i noticed rough patches developed on the outside of both elbows. Nothing terrible, but slightly peeling -- as if I had put my elbows down on something to which I was slightly allergic. New for me, in any case, and they never seemed to go away. After reading about the possibility of Niagen's impact on histamine, a light went off over my head and I started to wonder if the Niagen was causing an allergic skin reaction in the elbows.  I quit the Niagen for a week, and the patches immediately healed. I started the Niagen again 3 days ago. We shall see if the patches return.....

• Informative x 5
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#1269 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:14 AM

I'm part of the mosquito repellent club.

Last weekend I was at a party in a yard where mosquitoes came out at dusk. Some used Off, but I noticed I hadn't been bit at all. That definitely was not the case any other year. I thought it was strange but maybe a coincidence, then I read the previous page...  I raised my NR dose to 250 mg since February.

#1270 floweryriddle

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:59 AM

I'm part of the mosquito repellent club.

Last weekend I was at a party in a yard where mosquitoes came out at dusk. Some used Off, but I noticed I hadn't been bit at all. That definitely was not the case any other year. I thought it was strange but maybe a coincidence, then I read the previous page... I raised my NR dose to 250 mg since February.

I was unaware but now that you say it, my girlfriend got horribly bitten by a bunch of mosquitoes in our room while I stayed completely untouched. Then today I slept in a guesthouse and heard them flying around but woke up without a single bite. Didn't think of anything but definitely interesting

#1271 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

I just read that a few years ago the U of Wisconsin conducted a study looking at whether or not some Vitamin B repelled mosquitoes and found no difference between the Vitamin B and a placebo. The article didn't say which Vitamin B, although Vitamin B1 seems a common one tried against mosquitoes. The dose of Vitamin B1 wasn't given either.   

#1272 HappyPaul

• 22 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

Procter & Gamble have their own patent application out for "A method of making nicotinamide riboside, nicotinamide riboside derivatives, or mixtures ..."  Curated thread is locked so couldn't post there.  http://www.freepaten...17/0121746.html  The chemistry is over my head. 

Edited by HappyPaul, 13 June 2017 - 08:51 PM.

#1273 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:43 PM

In 2015 Chromadex made an agreement with P & G for them to develop forms of NR with different stability under conditions such as makeup or liquids or ??? Unless you have different information, that is likely what you see.

From your link:

Filing date:10/18/2016 FIELD OF THE INVENTION

The present disclosure is directed generally to methods for the synthesis of nicotinamide riboside, nicotinamide riboside derivatives, or mixtures thereof. More specifically, the present disclosure is directed to enzymes and methods to adjust reaction conditions and components in order to maximize the conversion of starting materials towards desired products.

Original deal:

ITEM 1.01 ENTRY INTO A MATERIAL DEFINITIVE AGREEMENT.
On October 30, 2015, ChromaDex, Inc. (“ChromaDex”), a California corporation and wholly owned subsidiary of ChromaDex Corporation, a Delaware
corporation (the “Registrant”), entered into a joint development agreement (“JDA”) with The Procter & Gamble Company (“P&G”).  Under the terms of the
JDA, ChromaDex and P&G will identify and develop stable forms of ChromaDex’s leading ingredient, NIAGEN® nicotinamide riboside (“Stable NR”), the
cost of such development, including but not limited to human clinical studies and consumer research, to be paid by P&G.  P&G will have exclusive rights to
the Stable NR for use in specific consumer product fields for both existing and new P&G branded products.  P&G has paid ChromaDex an upfront payment
and will make additional payments based on the achievement of certain milestones.
The JDA further provides that by the later of October 30, 2016 or six months from the development of the Stable NR, the parties will commence good faith
negotiations to enter into an exclusive supply agreement pursuant to which ChromaDex will supply P&G with Stable NR. The JDA has a term of two years
unless terminated earlier by either party with 90 days written notice.

The foregoing is a summary of the material terms of the JDA and does not purport to be complete. You should read the complete Agreement, which shall be
attached as an exhibit to the Registrant’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ending on January 2, 2016.

#1274 HappyPaul

• 22 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:42 PM

In 2015 Chromadex made an agreement with P & G for them to develop forms of NR with different stability under conditions such as makeup or liquids or ??? Unless you have different information, that is likely what you see.

No I have no information at all.   This patent application was public a week before the last earnings call and there was no mention of it or P&G that I recall on that call.  I just happened to find this in the last 24 hours.  

I can't see how Chromadex could not make a disclosure if it is what your wrote above.   They make press releases about some woman making bars with NR and they don't disclose this?  If they told the fellow who invested the $25M but not anyone else, this will be a real problem.  If it is as you write here, that would be great news for them but I question why they withheld it and I am certain lawyers for shareholders might as well.  I sold today as I don't like the idea of Chromadex vs P&G.     

#1275 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:22 AM

Lest we stray too far off the stated topic: personal/anecdotal experiences with NR, please post all other discussions in appropriate existing threads or start one anew. Thanks.

• Good Point x 3
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1276 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:53 AM

Lest we stray too far off the stated topic: personal/anecdotal experiences with NR, please post all other discussions in appropriate existing threads or start one anew. Thanks.

Now the curated NR thread is locked, how and where are we supposed to post new information pertaining to NR.......Seems a little strange to close that thread?

#1277 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

Now the curated NR thread is locked, how and where are we supposed to post new information pertaining to NR.......Seems a little strange to close that thread?

I thought Bryan_S said that a new NR thread and area will open soon to keep NR related posts in an easier to find.

#1278 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:12 PM

I thought Bryan_S said that a new NR thread and area will open soon to keep NR related posts in an easier to find.

midas and bluemoon:

I don't know why the NR curated thread was locked.  I'd suggest PM-ing Bryan_S or caliban.

Any registered user can start a new thread; you could simply title it "New Information Pertaining to NR."    If you want to curate it (which gives you limited editing privileges), you have to be a paid member and get permission from "the powers that be."

• Agree x 1

#1279 floweryriddle

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:48 AM

Taking 250mg daily for almost a month now without any noticeable effects but I didn't expect to notice anything when I bought it in the first place. Counting more on internal effects

(...)

Question: should I increase my intake to 500-750mg as some other people have stated?

My daily shake consists for a multi vit (Thorne research basic /2 but only 1 a day instead of 2), K2, NR, Magnesium citrate, curcumin, D3

And I'm planning to introduce collagen hydrolysate and Hyaluronic Acid starting next week.

Bumping this in case anyone knows this better. I want to optimize my NR intake and read somewhere that 250mg might not be enough for a daily dose. Plus the early posts recommend taking reservatrol alongside NR. 

I am now also supplementing collagen hydrolysate and HA (200mg/day) to see how things go. 

#1280 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

(...)

Bumping this in case anyone knows this better. I want to optimize my NR intake and read somewhere that 250mg might not be enough for a daily dose. Plus the early posts recommend taking reservatrol alongside NR.

I am now also supplementing collagen hydrolysate and HA (200mg/day) to see how things go.

All my friends are taking 250 mg daily. I have been getting good results from 250 mg. My skin is smoother than I was in the 20's. This means that my NAD+ is higher now than when I was younger.

#1281 Asor

• 65 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:48 AM

could you please point me in the direction of such Mitochondrial manipulation thread? Im interested.

#1282 hsibai

• 44 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:04 AM

could you please point me in the direction of such Mitochondrial manipulation thread? Im interested.
http://www.longecity...ndrial-dynamics

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
  • like x 1

#1283 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:23 PM

To anyone who hasn't noticed yet, this thread ("Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread"), the old "[Curated]" thread, and all other NR-focused threads that were identified have now been moved into a dedicated NR Subforum. This allows one to follow NR-related material in a more dedicated way, rather than having one enormous, unmanageable [Curated] thread on the science covering multiple different issues, from Chromadex's conflict with Elysium, to the possibility that NR might promote cancer,  to possible alternative NAD+-elevating agents and regimens, along with multiple other NR threads scattered around here and there dovering issues also discussed in [Curated]." You can now "follow" the  NR Subforum and also the individual threads.

I assume that the [Curated] thread was broken locked to stimulate separate discussion of the many different NR-related topics that had been all crammed into that one thread.

• Agree x 1

#1284 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:31 PM

An 80 year old man said after taking Niagen, his brain is much clearer, more energy, finger started to follow directions.

A women over 80 said her wrinkles on the forehead are getting smaller.

A 50 year old woman said her upper eyelid has pulled up after only one month of taking Niagen.
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#1285 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

Yesterday I was extremely low energy and realized I hadn't taken NR for a few days. But my energy level seemed much much lower than before I started taking NR.

A confounding factor was that I was a bit hung over, but it's worth asking:

Have any of you guys stopped taking NR for a while and noticed what happened to your subjective energy levels? Were they not noticeably changed, were they about the same as before you started taking NR, or were they  much lower than before starting NR?

#1286 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:56 AM

Yes, I have done that several times over the years, sometimes as a test, at other times I was out of supply. After a few days I  felt a very small sinking of physical energy, so subtle and gradual that it may be suggestion rather than fact. I continue taking 250 mg daily. Looking forward to research news.

#1287 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:58 PM

I chimed in early on this thread to say that I thought a lot of the benefits of NR being reported reminded me of niacinamide's effects, and I then decided not to take NR myself. However, after many months more reading the thread, I developed a bit of Stockholm Syndrome and convinced myself it might be worth a try. So for 18 months I have been taking 300mg each morning, with no noticeable effect. I kept going because I am healthy already (making noticeable benefit less likely) and am interested proposed benefits of Niagen that are not about noticeable effects.

But it remains expensive, and, although I can afford the 300mg, I have decided to reduce the dose to 100mg. I also feel that this thread has become less and less compelling as it has meandered on. I suppose deep down I've developed a nagging feeling that maybe this doesn't do much. I could be wrong and lose out somehow--and it may be that 100mg is a worthless dose, apart from that of a B vitamin. But I will take only one pill from now on, with a niacinamide and a B complex, both of which I do believe in.

Edited by Gerrans, 26 June 2017 - 03:05 PM.

#1288 hsibai

• 44 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

I think this thread is not about contemplating taking NR or not.

It is about a protocol that is based on science and theories with specific objective and specific desired outcome. The protocol is being developed over time with significant experimentation and reporting.

Again the objective is way beyond the idea of "does NR supplementation do any good"

#1289 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

I can't imagine people can't afford $20 each month for Niagen. Even people on welfare can afford it. People who says NR is expensive don't have any idea what NR can do for your health long term.
  • Enjoying the show x 2
  • Disagree x 2
  • Agree x 1

#1290 hsibai

• 44 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

I think this thread is not about contemplating taking NR or not.

It is about a protocol that is based on science and theories with specific objective and specific desired outcome. The protocol is being developed over time with significant experimentation and reporting.

Again the objective is way beyond the idea of "does NR supplementation do any good"

Sorry guys this post was not ment for this thread. Appologois.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Topic Led By