Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#1381 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:12 AM

Well, once again we're straying off-topic.  I get it that sometimes this is necessary.  But, post #1368 is discussed in this thread: http://www.longecity...ad-effectively/

So, I'll give anyone who wants to re-post their comments in the appropriate thread, or begin a new one, until  Friday, 29 September.  After that I'll be unapproving posts 1368 - 1377 and 1379.

Remember, this thread is about (anecdotal) PERSONAL EXPERIENCES with NR.  Scientific study results etc... are better served in other threads. 

Just because someone makes an inappropriate or off-topic post, doesn't mean it has to be commented on. Use the rating icons to flag as off-topic, needs references etc... Thanks.

If anyone has a real issue with a member or user, you should contact an administrator via PM.  I have no authority to ban anyone. 

Edited by APBT, 27 September 2017 - 03:12 PM.

• Agree x 3
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#1382 mrkosh1

• 232 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:40 AM

Dr. Brenner's study on himself showed that the NAD+ levels were the same at 24 hours for 300 mg and 1000 mg.  This seems to imply that higher doses can only increase NAD+ to a certain level then it levels off.  Combining the 2 NR studies of Basis and Chromadex seem to imply that 500 mg is probably about the right dose.

I interpret the results the same as you - 500mg a day seems to provide very close to maximum NAD+ increase.  1,000 may boost a bit more, but since it is not clear, no reason to spend twice as much $.

They noted the huge (45x?) boost in NAAD, and theorized that acts as a sort of "overflow pool".  NR won't raise NAD+ beyond a certain point, beyond which excess goes to NAAD.

If so, not really a bad thing, imo.  

Will be very interested to see if NMN has the same behavior in humans.

I think it will have the exact same behavior at increasing NAAD because it must be transformed to NR before moving through the cell membrane. So if you take an NR pill, you are putting NR in your cells. If you take an NMN pill, you are putting NR in your cells except that it will take a little longer for the NMN to be converted to NR. 

NR and NMN, when it comes to their interactions inside the cell, will be exactly the same.

• Off-Topic x 1

#1383 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

This is an NR experience from the Yahoo Cromadex Conversations forum. He says he is a physician and interesting but no way to verify it. I fixed a few typos:

"Renal failure cure: I am a physician that has had mild renal failure with creatinine levels from 1.3 to 1.6 for decades. My last creatinine was I.4 in May 2017. I started taking Niagen at swaying doses of 500-1000 mg daily. Nothing else has change in the last 4 months. Today's creatinine was 1.1 which translates to a 35% improvement in renal function. Hb A 1c also at new low."

(The typos I corrected make me think this is a MikeDC construction but could be a physician...)

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1384 docmaas

• 129 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:00 PM

Can you post a link for that chromadex conversations forum on yahoo please?

thanks,

Mike

#1385 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:44 PM

You beat me to it. This is not very surprising. Sirt1 is very important in protecting kidney.
Nothing is better than NR at increasing Sirt1 expression.

Edited by MikeDC, 27 September 2017 - 10:53 PM.

• Needs references x 3

#1386 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:51 PM

He is real. He posted 3 month ago. See photo.
Here is the link
http://finance.media...ommunity?p=CDXC

Attached Files

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#1387 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:12 PM

That doesn't prove that he is real.  That's just an unknown guy posting on the internet.  We know nothing about him.

• Agree x 1

#1388 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:20 PM

Every big thing starts with denials from the ignorant mass. They will not study it and learn.
Theynwill Wait for CNN to tell them it is real.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#1389 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:24 PM

I'll learn about it here and on PubMed.  I sincerely hope that everything you believe about NR is true.  I've taken it in the past and I'm looking forward to restarting NR in the next month or two.

But, all I ask for is proof.  There is some very good evidence for the benefits of NR out there.  Enough evidence for me to take it.  But, not yet enough evidence to say it is the cure for aging.

• Agree x 1

#1390 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:53 PM

I'll learn about it here and on PubMed.  I sincerely hope that everything you believe about NR is true.  I've taken it in the past and I'm looking forward to restarting NR in the next month or two.

But, all I ask for is proof.  There is some very good evidence for the benefits of NR out there.  Enough evidence for me to take it.  But, not yet enough evidence to say it is the cure for aging.

I think the vast majority in cases like this are telling the truth as they see it. One guy in his 60s posted on this forum that his bladder problem went away after starting to ramp up NR from taking nothing to taking 500 mg a day, then after a week or two, 1000 mg then a while later 2000 mg. That could be fake as well. For about a year, it has seemed to me that NR helps every organ that is compromised.     

#1391 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:58 PM

Oh, I think there are definitely many true case reports.  But, I have also seen other manufacturers and interested parties pump their product in forums like this with personal testimonials.  I don't have any reason to think a lot of that is going on with NR, but I can't completely discount the possibility. 

MikeDC stated that "he is real", when Mike doesn't know this guy from Adam's housecat.  I'm just noting that fact.

• Agree x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#1392 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:12 AM

I can tell you none of it is from ChromaDex. They are very careful about talking the benefits of Niagen. They never care about individuals experiences or talk about it. They are only interested in clinical studies results. Elysium is just the opposite. As a business Elysium is doing the right thing to attract people to try it and get the benefits from it.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#1393 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:27 AM

Oh, I have no reason to think that ChromaDex would pump their product with fake anonymous internet testimonials like that.

But it is a publicly traded company, so there is a temptation there for some people.  It's silly because it's really unlikely to effect sales substantially but it does happen.

Edited by Daniel Cooper, 28 September 2017 - 12:28 AM.

• Agree x 1

#1394 PAMPAGUY

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:04 AM

Looks like the battle between Elysium and Chromadex is getting very nasty.. Wonder who started this website.

http://www.timelesslifemag.com

#1395 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:12 AM

Trillions are at stake. Elysium wants a piece of the action by whatever means necessary. ChromaDex started a business relationship with a devil and can't shake it off. Cornell, Dartmouth and Dr. Brenner did the invention. Elysium did nothing and think they deserve a piece of the pie.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 5
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1396 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:43 AM

How did the "Personal Experience" thread become the "Isn't Chromadex Great?" thread?

I've asked this on other threads, but I'll ask it again here: Will one of the moderators please do something about MikeDC. He shows up all over the place, insulting people and extolling Niagen (I believe he owns stock). 

I have no dog in this fight, but I find it curious he is constantly allowed to go off topic--and insult anyone who doesn't agree with him.

• like x 5
  • Good Point x 3
  • Agree x 3
  • Disagree x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#1397 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:51 AM

It went off topic because some idiot questioned the authenticity of personal experience. Why do you always keep a blind eye on others bad behavior?
  • dislike x 3
  • Unfriendly x 3
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#1398 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:24 PM

NR is like some sort of ersatz religion with you, isn't it Mike?

Edited by Daniel Cooper, 28 September 2017 - 12:24 PM.

• like x 1

#1399 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:43 PM

Religion is not real and NR is. Spreading the word is helping people.

#1400 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:47 PM

We're taking this further off topic, but honestly Mike, I think your constant cheerleading of NR is having the opposite effect that you think it is.  I think you've long since reached the point where you're turning more people off NR than you are helping them by spreading the word.  Which is a shame since I do think NR has the potential to be proven to be very beneficial with respect to aging.

#1401 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:55 PM

You may not like it. Many people are benefiting.

#1402 MoreGooderFuture

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:55 PM

Hello!  I just joined LongeCity so I could post in this very thread.  I've been using these forums to learn about NR.  Here's my answer to the questions in the first post:

Dosage

• Dosage frequency (number of times per day)​ Once
  • How did you arrive at the dosage you're using​  I first started with the recommended 250mg, then decided to increase it due to various bits of advice read here on the forum.  I am now taking 500 a day, and will be increasing to 666 per day.  (Two 333mg's from HPN)
  • Consumed with or without food​ Without food, but with other supplements.
  • When did NR consumption commence - how long have you been taking it  Since first week of May, 2017
  • Are you considering the circadian clock in your decision of when to dose ​No
  • Are you taking any other NAD+ precursors ​Pterostilbene, 50mg per day.  (Is that a NAD+ precursor?)
  • Are you taking any CD38 inhibitors ​Since I don't know what that means, probably not.
  • Are you taking any other "mitochondrial enhancers" ​No
  • Athletic/exercise experience: seasoned athlete, intermediate, beginner  ​Avid hiker, work out 2 to 3 times per week, desk job
  • Types of exercise involved ​Hiking, cardio at the gym, weight lifting
  • Health metrics: blood tests (NR's impact on lipids would be interesting), body weight, blood pressure, body composition ​Well, I don't have all of those numbers handy.  But my doctor is pleased with my results for my age
  • Measurable cognitive changes ​Improved memory
  • Measurable changes in fitness ​More and consistent energy
  • General, overall analysis of NR ​I'm also a birder, and can hear high-pitched bird calls that were once completely silent to me.  My higher range hearing has improved immensely.  I was also considering buying my first pair of reading glasses just prior to starting NR.  I now have zero problems reading up close. Eye doc says my eyes look about half my age.  My rosacea, which I have been battling for 2 decades, has completely disappeared.  But, I now have vicious dandruff which seems to be completely immune to every sort of shampoo known to fight this issue. 

Edited by MoreGooderFuture, 01 October 2017 - 10:56 PM.

• Well Written x 1
  • Informative x 1

#1403 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:25 PM

Hello!  I just joined LongeCity so I could post in this very thread.  I've been using these forums to learn about NR.  Here's my answer to the questions in the first post:

How old are you? I think improved memory is likely a placebo effect, especially if under 60. You wrote next to "measurable cognitive changes", but you don't have a before and after memory evaluations, right?

• Unfriendly x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1404 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:34 PM

<p>

Hello! I just joined LongeCity so I could post in this very thread. I've been using these forums to learn about NR. Here's my answer to the questions in the first post:

Dosage

• Dosage frequency (number of times per day)​ Once
  • How did you arrive at the dosage you're using​ I first started with the recommended 250mg, then decided to increase it due to various bits of advice read here on the forum. I am now taking 500 a day, and will be increasing to 666 per day. (Two 333mg's from HPN)
  • Consumed with or without food​ Without food, but with other supplements.
  • When did NR consumption commence - how long have you been taking it Since first week of May, 2017
  • Are you considering the circadian clock in your decision of when to dose ​No
  • Are you taking any other NAD+ precursors ​Pterostilbene, 50mg per day. (Is that a NAD+ precursor?)
  • Are you taking any CD38 inhibitors ​Since I don't know what that means, probably not.
  • Are you taking any other "mitochondrial enhancers" ​No
  • Athletic/exercise experience: seasoned athlete, intermediate, beginner ​Avid hiker, work out 2 to 3 times per week, desk job
  • Types of exercise involved ​Hiking, cardio at the gym, weight lifting
  • Health metrics: blood tests (NR's impact on lipids would be interesting), body weight, blood pressure, body composition ​Well, I don't have all of those numbers handy. But my doctor is pleased with my results for my age
  • Measurable cognitive changes ​Improved memory
  • Measurable changes in fitness ​More and consistent energy
  • General, overall analysis of NR ​I'm also a birder, and can hear high-pitched bird calls that were once completely silent to me. My higher range hearing has improved immensely. I was also considering buying my first pair of reading glasses just prior to starting NR. I now have zero problems reading up close. Eye doc says my eyes look about half my age. My rosacea, which I have been battling for 2 decades, has completely disappeared. But, I now have vicious dandruff which seems to be completely immune to every sort of shampoo known to fight this issue.
Great report, especially on the disappearance of Rosacea.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...om=rosacea nad

Edited by MikeDC, 01 October 2017 - 11:39 PM.

#1405 MoreGooderFuture

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:39 PM

How old are you? I think improved memory is likely a placebo effect, especially if under 60. You wrote next to "measurable cognitive changes", but you don't have a before and after memory evaluations, right?

Yeah, I wasn't anticipating any memory improvement, else I would have done some sort of memory test before hand.  So, I can only say that my short term memory is better, but could also be placebo.  I'm 51 y/o and in good health.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Informative x 1

#1406 MoreGooderFuture

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:41 PM

I have experienced other benefits as well, but didn't want to get to "personal".  Let's just say that my... um.... man bits are performing as they should now.   I was having a problem with BPH, but that's 100% gone now too.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Informative x 1

#1407 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:00 AM

M...G...F, great PERSONAL experience post. I do not expect any proof for experiences. Thank you. What areyour current dose times? Please pay particular attention to how things change at higher dose.

Right or wrong, the way I use this thread is to read all the experiences over time, and if I see patterns of benefits or problems, I think more deeply about them, and start to look for support in all the "Science" type threads. There seem to be plenty of Science threads.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Informative x 1

#1408 floweryriddle

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:59 AM

Mid-twenties guy here. I used HPN NR for roughly 6 months now with 250mg a day in the morning. I didn't notice any difference whatsoever but didn't expect anything noticeable due to my "young age" to begin with. 

I want to say that I occasionally I noticed that simple colds with sneezing and coughing lasted longer than they used to but have no proof whatsoever. Since then I stopped NR intake when I got sick and started again when my symptoms were gone. 

Edited by dvstr, 02 October 2017 - 02:01 AM.

• Informative x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1

#1409 PAMPAGUY

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:36 AM

This is an update on my NR supplementation. 71 yo male, who has lost at least 50% of NAD due to ageing.   I have been taking 500 mg NR daily for 2 months.  Some days, I felt great and others I have a lot less energy.  When I first started the NR, got a big boost in energy, which has steadily gone down since then.  After consulting with some very knowledgeable people that are up on NAD+ supplementation, I have decided to go on a intermediate dosing schedule of 3 X week of 500 mg., and see how I feel.  There are many people that feel that once NAD+ has been boosted in the cell it stays at high levels for a few days.  It could be that NAD levels in the cell stay at a high levels 48-72 hours after supplementation with NR.

Taking a look at what is happening in our cells, it seems logical that I would have lower energy and be tired from mitophagy when taking a daily dose as you have smaller and less mitochondria after removing damaged ones.  On this intermediate schedule, I would be going in periodically to clean out the damaged cells while boosting NAD+.  This schedule is very similar to taking Rapa once weekly.  One could do a half-life study on NR, but that doesn't tell you how much NAD is left in cell.  There are no good studies showing how long NAD+ stays in the cell after having been boosted by NR.  I know that there are other reasons for taking NR, but feel that mitophagy is the number one reason.   But I know how I feel and will keep track of that for a couple of months. 

• Informative x 3

#1410 MoreGooderFuture

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

Minor correction:  My first small order of NR was purchased during the last week of March, 2017.  I started with the recommended dose of 250mg with that bottle of 60 caps.  It doesn't appear that one can edit their posts after a certain time period (which makes sense actually).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

31 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 31 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By