* * * * - 11 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#211 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

Re: NR and thyroid function, homocysteine etc.
My personal belief after experimenting with various doses is that 750 mg split, twice a day is the optimal dosage for a mildly athletic , fit, 145lb male. ( me ).
I am getting my first complete blood test since beginning NR on Friday. It's helpful to have a blood test history for comparison. Both my thyroid function, and homocysteine levels are normal/optimal
I have had mild declining thyroid function beginning a few years ago, I normalized my numbers with a combination of iodine and Armour thyroid 1/2 grain. I also had elevated homocysteine which I lowered with 1000 mcg 5 methyl folate.

I appreciate this input (and your contribution to this site overall), but it would really be more valuable if you disclosed actual values.  A lot of people view certain thyroid levels as abnormally elevated, but many CR practitioners might view as desired.  Additionally, 'normal' homocysteine levels of 9 still are indicative of a shrinking brain.

#212 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:07 AM

I can report that after taking 250mg NR and 300mg thiamine, my run this morning was mostly pretty good, although I feel I could still tell that the NR was attenuating things. It might be a supplement to take closer to bedtime for me.

#213 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

Re: NR and thyroid function, homocysteine etc.
My personal belief after experimenting with various doses is that 750 mg split, twice a day is the optimal dosage for a mildly athletic , fit, 145lb male. ( me ).
I am getting my first complete blood test since beginning NR on Friday. It's helpful to have a blood test history for comparison. Both my thyroid function, and homocysteine levels are normal/optimal
I have had mild declining thyroid function beginning a few years ago, I normalized my numbers with a combination of iodine and Armour thyroid 1/2 grain. I also had elevated homocysteine which I lowered with 1000 mcg 5 methyl folate.

I appreciate this input (and your contribution to this site overall), but it would really be more valuable if you disclosed actual values. A lot of people view certain thyroid levels as abnormally elevated, but many CR practitioners might view as desired. Additionally, 'normal' homocysteine levels of 9 still are indicative of a shrinking brain.

Re: values.
My TSH rose to 4.5. After taking iodine 200mcg , and 1/2 grain Armour thyroid extract, my TSH dropped to 2.4. Not optimal, but better.
Homocysteine was 12~ before taking 5 methyl folate, 1000 mcg Last test was 7 approx.
I am getting my next blood test tomorrow
  • Informative x 2

#214 mikela

• 109 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:55 PM

I have been taking .5g in the morning along with resveratrol for about the past 3 to 4 weeks or so.  What I have noticed so far is that the age spots on the back of both hands have significantly diminished.  I am 60 and have significant sun damage from earlier years.  A rough patch on my forehead (AK) has completely disappeared or at least become so smooth that I can no longer feel it.  I upped my dose to .75g and split it between morning and noon over the past 2 days.  When I was taking it just in the morning I would tend to nap in the afternoons.  All anectdotal but I thought I would pass it on.  I also take C60 and have recently ordered MitoQ.

• like x 2

#215 mikela

• 109 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:48 AM

Just another update.  I have had a rather prominent age spot about the size of a nickel on my left cheek bone that has been there for at least several years.  It is the only one on my face unlike my hands (multiple spots) so it is distinctly noticeable/observable.  It has diminished by about 80 to 85% in size and looks like it is on its way out.  It is an understatement to say I am impressed.

#216 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:32 AM

Just another update.  I have had a rather prominent age spot about the size of a nickel on my left cheek bone that has been there for at least several years.  It is the only one on my face unlike my hands (multiple spots) so it is distinctly noticeable/observable.  It has diminished by about 80 to 85% in size and looks like it is on its way out.  It is an understatement to say I am impressed.

I also take C60 and have recently ordered MitoQ.

In no way I mean to disparage the effect but could it be C60 and not NR that is causing this improvement?
How long have you been taking C60? Is it prior to starting NR? If yes, how long before starting NR and have you had any improvement before starting NR??

Thank you for sharing your experience!

#217 mikela

• 109 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:49 AM

No problem.  I have been taking C60 for approximately 2 years.  Although I share many of the experiences of others regarding C60, it never did anything that I could detect for my age spots.  It wasn't until shortly after taking NR that I noticed the changes to my age spots...totally unexpected.  I just started taking MitoQ this past week but the age spots were already starting to diminish before that.  I will also add that I haven't changed any of my supplements for some time prior to adding NR and MitoQ.

Edited by mikela, 13 August 2014 - 05:55 AM.

• Informative x 1

#218 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

No problem.  I have been taking C60 for approximately 2 years.  Although I share many of the experiences of others regarding C60, it never did anything that I could detect for my age spots.  It wasn't until shortly after taking NR that I noticed the changes to my age spots...totally unexpected.  I just started taking MitoQ this past week but the age spots were already starting to diminish before that.  I will also add that I haven't changed any of my supplements for some time prior to adding NR and MitoQ.

That's a nice result, Mike.  I'm curious about the nature of the age spot.  Was it dark, like a mole, or was it a large patch of skin with enhanced pigmentation, kind of like a giant freckle?  How long have you had it?

#219 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:52 PM

Anyone heard of Rosacea? I'm making no claims here and I need several more months and to make a positive connection but I had a pretty severe case which seems to have subsided. Is it the Nicotinamide Riboside or something else, all I know is my skin is better and I haven't payed it any mind for several months.

#220 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:15 AM

Ok, an update after 10 days. I tried supplementing with iodine/selenium along with the recommended 250 mg dose of NR. Result: flat mood/affect and lack of improvement in athletic performance (endurance running, specifically in the regime where carb metabolism is important). NR would be great for anxiety, but it makes me too flat emotionally and motivationally.

BUT, on the plus side I think I have the athletic part of the equation cracked. After upping my thiamine dose to 300 mg/twice daily, my running mojo is back, and VO2max is back up to 49, the highest it's been since I have been measuring it. Thiamine also gives me a very nice mood brightening effect.

So, were my initial results with improved athletic performance due to thiamine and not NR as I had thought? Did NR at 250mg or 375mg/day interfere with thiamine metabolism? Who knows, this is all anecdotal. ;)

Next up: lower dose NR while maintaining at least 300 mg of thiamine.

Does anyone know NR's effect on cAMP? Niacin decreases it and niacinamide increases it, so in me inositol hexanicotinate (providing 250 mg niacin/day) impaired running just like Stephen reported, while 500 mg niacinamide worsened anxiety once niacinamide's GABA effect wore off. 250 mg niacin from IHN every other day is sustainable.

Thiamine deficiency lowers cAMP, so maybe that's how thiamine balanced things out. PMID: 4342120

#221 mikela

• 109 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

That's a nice result, Mike.  I'm curious about the nature of the age spot.  Was it dark, like a mole, or was it a large patch of skin with enhanced pigmentation, kind of like a giant freckle?  How long have you had it?

It was more like the latter...about the same color as my freckles but and about a half inch or so in width though not uniformly round.  It seems to have been around for about the past couple of years though my wife thinks it was longer (but not totally sure).  She has definitely noticed the difference on the back of my hands and this particular spot.  I started to second guess myself on the back of my hands initially (because the change sneaked up on me) but the spot on my face is indisputable.  I should also point out that I am routinely treated for non life threatening skin cancer predominantly in these same areas.

#222 Primal

• 95 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

mikela how much vitamin B3 have you had before trying NR? In terms of niacin, niacinamide, inositol hexanicotinate etc  Have you taken B complex supps in the past, or do you/did you take a multi with a decent amount of B3? I'm asking because niacin and niacinamide as well have been shown to do what you describe 

#223 mikela

• 109 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

I am getting125 mg per day of niacin from my multi.

#224 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

I am getting125 mg per day of niacin from my multi.

Wow, that's a lot of niacin for a multi.  Are you sure it's 125mg of niacin?  Not niacinamide or some other form, or a different amount?  What multi?

#225 mikela

• 109 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

I take 2/3 the recommended dosage of LEF Life Extension mix without copper.  Three tablets in the morning and three at noon.  I have been thinking about lowering the dosage or switching to one of the minimal multis that you have been recommending but haven't fully researched it yet.  Looks like it is the following ratio:  53% niacinamide, 38% niacin, 9% niacinamide ascorbate for the 125mg.  It only says niacin on the bottle.  I found the additional breakdown on their site.

Okay it actually is on the bottle: Niacin as ...   I just didn't see it.

Edited by mikela, 15 August 2014 - 11:02 PM.

#226 Krell

• Guest, F@H
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

I have been taking 500mg NR from Live Cell Research per day with my morning coffee for about 20 days, and have not noticed any effects.

I just had my yearly physical with blood test.  Some of my liver tests came back high

Alakaline Phosphatase, S   124  (normal 39-117)

ALT (SGPT)  51 (normal 0-44)

All my other readings are in the normal range.  

The only other sups I take are C60oo (for a couple of years) along with vit D.

A few years ago I tried resveratrol, but had to stop because my liver tests ALT and AST went high.

I think I will stop the NR for a week or two and repeat the blood tests to see if the problem is NR related.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Krell, 16 August 2014 - 08:45 PM.

#227 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

I have been taking 500mg NR from Live Cell Research per day with my morning coffee for about 20 days, and have not noticed any effects.

I just had my yearly physical with blood test. Some of my liver tests came back high

Alakaline Phosphatase, S 124 (normal 39-117)
ALT (SGPT) 51 (normal 0-44)

All my other readings are in the normal range.

The only other sups I take are C60oo (for a couple of years) along with vit D.

A few years ago I tried resveratrol, but had to stop because my liver tests ALT and AST went high.

I think I will stop the NR for a week or two and repeat the blood tests to see if the problem is NR related.

Any thoughts?

Was your AST high too? If something as relatively benign as resveratrol spiked your liver enzymes, than most anything might.
What are your " normal " pre NR values.?
I take 750 mg of NR , and my latest blood test showed no change in liver enzymes, the Alkaline phosphatase was actually low, 27.
You might try taking things like milk thistle, vitamin C or phosphatidyl choline for liver support

#228 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

I have been taking 500mg NR from Live Cell Research per day with my morning coffee for about 20 days, and have not noticed any effects.

I just had my yearly physical with blood test.  Some of my liver tests came back high

I think it's a good idea to stop the NR for a week or two and re-test.  The only problem is that it's pretty easy to upset your liver enzymes.  You can do it just by a little too much drinking, for example.  To really sort out if this is due to NR or not, you'd probably need yet another test down the line.  Kind of a PITA...  If 500mg isn't doing anything for you, then (assuming it's really Niagen) either you don't need it or you aren't taking enough.  Some people suggest that the right daily dose is higher, like 750-1000mg. 

#229 Krell

• Guest, F@H
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

blood test/ last year/ this year/ normal

ALK PHOS/ 65/ 124/ 39-117        

AST/ 22/ 37/ 0-40

ALT/ 23/ 51/ 0-44

I did have about 3 glasses of red wine (high procyanidin!) the evening before the blood test, but that is my normal intake.

#230 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

AST/ 22/ 37/ 0-40
ALT/ 23/ 51/ 0-44

I did have about 3 glasses of red wine (high procyanidin!) the evening before the blood test, but that is my normal intake.

You are supposed to abstain from any alcohol consumption at least 48 hours before a blood test that measures liver enzymes, Three glasses of wine will definitely elevate them and skew the results. I'm a regular wine drinker, so I'm familiar with this.
If three glasses of wine raises your levels as you've shown, I would definitely take something for liver support.
Milk thistle, vitamin C, SAMe , phosphatidyl choline etc......
  • Agree x 3
  • like x 1

#231 Krell

• Guest, F@H
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

AST/ 22/ 37/ 0-40
ALT/ 23/ 51/ 0-44

You are supposed to abstain from any alcohol consumption at least 48 hours before a blood test that measures liver enzymes, Three glasses of wine will definitely elevate them and skew the results. I'm a regular wine drinker, so I'm familiar with this.
If three glasses of wine raises your levels as you've shown, I would definitely take something for liver support.
Milk thistle, vitamin C, SAMe , phosphatidyl choline etc......

Interesting!  I suppose I could redo the test almost immediately to test whether the alcohol or the NR was the cause.

• unsure x 1

#232 Primal

• 95 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:14 AM

one of the minimal multis that you have been recommending 

is there a thread on those multis? I'm looking to change mine 

#233 MarcD

• 51 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

I don't know if this is importand: but I stopped Niagen for some weeks. Yesterday I took the same dosage as before (5 times a day a dosage of 250mg = 1250mg). I didn't sleep well and had a hot flushes the whole night.

other things I take: telmisartan, icariin (yinyang huo), zinc, magnesium, b6 and milkthistle

#234 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

I don't know if this is importand: but I stopped Niagen for some weeks. Yesterday I took the same dosage as before (5 times a day a dosage of 250mg = 1250mg). I didn't sleep well and had a hot flushes the whole night.

other things I take: telmisartan, icariin (yinyang huo), zinc, magnesium, b6 and milkthistle

I doubt very much that it had anything to do with the Niagen if you had been taking that same amount a few weeks ago without having those symptoms.

It is possible that you might need a couple of days to build it up to that dosage. Did you build the dosage up last time or did you start on 1250mg?

#235 MachineGhostX

• 106 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:32 PM

Anyone heard of Rosacea? I'm making no claims here and I need several more months and to make a positive connection but I had a pretty severe case which seems to have subsided. Is it the Nicotinamide Riboside or something else, all I know is my skin is better and I haven't payed it any mind for several months.

What else are you taking?  Rosacea responds to Lipoic Acid but I don't know if a complete remission is possible or not from that.

#236 MarcD

• 51 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

last time I build up the dosage... after the break of several weeks I restarted on 1250mg ... 

last time I had a bad diarrhea over days ... this time less

But I noticed I need less sleep on niagen

I doubt very much that it had anything to do with the Niagen if you had been taking that same amount a few weeks ago without having those symptoms.

It is possible that you might need a couple of days to build it up to that dosage. Did you build the dosage up last time or did you start on 1250mg?

#237 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:17 AM

What else are you taking?  Rosacea responds to Lipoic Acid but I don't know if a complete remission is possible or not from that.

Metronidazole but haven't used it in months. It's not a complete remission but a huge reduction in severity. The associated acne unexpectedly subsided and I'm in the Northern hemisphere experiencing sweltering summer temps. Not the usual pattern for this condition this time of year where Metronidazole was my only relief. As I said I will need to observe this further before I definitively connect the two.

#238 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:08 PM

Is it my imagination or has discussion on nicotinamide riboside dried up in recent weeks? I track several boards and all have gone quiet recently.

#239 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:40 PM

I think that we've exhausted discussing the existing science, Should have new info from Chromadex soon....

#240 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

Point taken, here is a list of upcoming studies that will produce some new data later in the year.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By