• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Good high energy milk "shake" for work - ideas, questions..

work food healthy hunger milk cocoa honey body brain

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 thedarkbobo

• 153 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

Hello everyone,

I hope it's proper section, as it is partially Nutrition question too.

Lately I was thinking that I have to improve my diet to have more energy at work. Let's say that I eat breakfast around 6:40am, like 3 slices of bread with margarín, some meat and vegs (usually cucumber/tomato) and tea. Then I would be hungry around 11-13 with lunch(dinner) around 13. If I eat lunch I am then "tired" (probably high glucose level after meal). Sometimes there is not much time to eat at work, so such a recipe could benefit me greatly. As you can imagine people at work often end up either eating their own cooked meal or fast foods, eating donuts before lunch break and a lot of coffee.

What I want to change is to make some cocktail with as many good ingriedients and valuable sources for body and mind as I can get from lets say up to 5-7 products max to fit into 0,5-0,8L bottle. If it provides enough energy, I could eat just a light lunch around 13 and then dinner at home around 19. I would drink it around let's say 9.30-11.

I am young and slim but aaalwayys hungry. I want to avoid high level of potentialy harmful substances. Costs also matter but it doesnt' have to taste great, it can't smell too bad :)

My initial proposal would be:

• some hot water to dissolve ingredients
  • cow milk (1 or 3% fat, shouldn't matter, cheap fat and I like the taste)
  • cocoa (2 tea spoons) [easy to get mix for kids from supermarket - some contain sugar in small amounts]
  • honey (1 tea spoon)
  • 3 teaspoons of some high protein? or carb? shake like PhD Nutrition Recovery , contains[this example has too much sugar I'm afraid]:
  • Nutritional Analysis:                   Per 80G serving

Energy

1202.4kj/288.4kcal

Protein

24g

Carbohydrates

48g

Of which sugars

25.2g

Fats

0.4g

Of which saturates

0.32g

Fibre

1g

0.80g

Added Recovery Matrix

L-Glutamine

8g

Creatine monohydrate

2g

Peptide-bonded L-Glutamine

1200mg

Leucine

120mg

Iso-leucine

120mg

Valine

120mg

Vitamin C

200mg

Re-hydration system

Sodium

200mg

Potassium

120mg

• would be great to add some supplements, but I am not sure what can survive 4-5 hours in room temperature and dissolves in water/milk?
  • I was thinking about adding juice powder but yet not found cheap supplier in my region
  • Maybe green superfoods complex powder ?  Ingredients:
    Wheatgrass juice powder (62%), Acacia Fibre (11%), Apple Fibre (11%), Spirulina spirulina major (7%), Chlorella chlorella vulgaris (3%), Acerola (cherry) powder (2%), Policosanol complex (2%), Lactospore® (1%), Natural forest fruit flavour (1%), Rice starch (<1%), Green Tea 4%-5% cammelia sinensis (<1%), Grape seed extract 95% vitis vinifera (<1%), Siberian ginseng eleutherococcus senticosus (<1%), Sweetener: steviolglycosides.

Well, too "big" lunch is another story, what could help me deal with after lunch drowsiness? (besides tea and coffee)

Thank you

Edited by thedarkbobo, 10 April 2014 - 10:26 AM.

#2 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:50 AM

I believe that margarine is not good for you, especially if it contains trans fats.  Even health food margarine makes my skin break out, out so I avoid it.  I'd say to switch to some kind of healthy fats or foods that contain them.  In Chinese Medicine it is important to eat hot meals, especially breakfast.  If you change nothing else, consider toasting the bread and letting any raw veggies or fruit come to room temperature.

It seems like you go a long time between breakfast and lunch.  If you cannot eat earlier, consider eating a healthy snack composed of food between breakfast and lunch.  If you can find a way to eat a healthy lunch, that would be best. 

Some people have a problem with eating a lot of dairy, especially dairy that is not natural, raw and organic.  Milk can be the hardest dairy to digest, depending on the person.  Yogurt is normally easier to digest.  If you are going to eat yogurt, I'd eat natural plain whole milk yogurt at room temperature with no sweetener, maybe with whole fruit on the side if you like that.  I would eat it, not make a smoothy out of it.  Chewing is an important part of digestion.      

Cocoa and honey can make your energy go up and then down again later.  

Some people say to try not to eat sugar with protein intentionally because as it may form growths, like moles, age spots and deposits on the brain as you age.  I think there's some truth in that.

Your proposed green powder mix is potentially healthy if all those ingredients agree with you.  There's a lot of stuff in there.  Some people can't tolerate some of those ingredients.  A few people don't digest Spirulina or Chlorella well.  A minority of people can't tolerate stevia.  Mixing that stuff with hot water would damage those nutrients.  If you want to take this product, I would take it alone and not with hot water.  Personally I like Green Magma plain powder barley grass juice.  It isn't necessarily nourishing as much as it it detoxifying.  It is a good source of chlorophyl, vitamin K and superoxide dismutase.  As directed, I take it alone or with certain other supplements on an empty stomach and no hot water.  I wait before eating after that. 

Sounds like your digestion is sluggish.  If you have access to a Chinese herbalist/acupuncturist, they can work on that.  Consider learning about the principles of Chinese Medincine as it applies to diet and lifestyle.  It can help you to be healthier. See a link to my thread about this below.  

Basically I think that eating three balanced meals a day is important.  

http://www.longecity...inese-medicine/

Edited by Luminosity, 11 April 2014 - 03:01 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 thedarkbobo

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

Luminosity - thank you !

I believe that margarine is not good for you, especially if it contains trans fats.  Even health food margarine makes my skin break out, out so I avoid it.  I'd say to switch to some kind of healthy fats or foods that contain them.  In Chinese Medicine it is important to eat hot meals, especially breakfast.  If you change nothing else, consider toasting the bread and letting any raw veggies or fruit come to room temperature.

Some "healthy" margarine, though I was aware of it for some time and gradually replace it with butter or sheep milk cheese. I think I liked margarine because it makes bread more "wet" and more pleasant to eat. My breakfasts are usually 15-25C, but I always drink tea in the morning which can warm up belly I hope.

What do you think about the use of microwave?

It seems like you go a long time between breakfast and lunch.  If you cannot eat earlier, consider eating a healthy snack composed of food between breakfast and lunch.  If you can find a way to eat a healthy lunch, that would be best. 

Hmm, snack like sandwich is something I usually did and what we are taught to do since we are young, but I had a feeling it lacks ingredients (I won't have more than 2 vegetables in the fridge lets say, nor would spend 15 minutes preparing sandwich). It would again be butter+(for example)salami+cucumber+tomato+mayonnaise+mustard(both in low quantity).

Some people have a problem with eating a lot of dairy, especially dairy that is not natural, raw and organic.  Milk can be the hardest dairy to digest, depending on the person.  Yogurt is normally easier to digest.  If you are going to eat yogurt, I'd eat natural plain whole milk yogurt at room temperature with no sweetener, maybe with whole fruit on the side if you like that.  I would eat it, not make a smoothy out of it.  Chewing is an important part of digestion.      

Hmm, I have no problem(I mean no stomach ache) with eating more or less "anything" (didn't try many things, like raw fish in high amounts etc), mainly europe food. I can eat chickens day and night :|o  I was raised on high dairy, high milk(till lets say 18), high bread, egg and potato diet. I think yogurt was really low on my list so far hmm. I've found it pricy and not filling hunger, maybe will give it a shot again.

Cocoa and honey can make your energy go up and then down again later.  

I see...well those two have a good taste for me, also honey *can* possibly have something good for health, but I am not sure if processed(not syntetic) honey has anything of value...

Some people say to try not to eat sugar with protein intentionally because as it may form growths, like moles, age spots and deposits on the brain as you age.  I think there's some truth in that.

I see...the so-called AGE's, one of SENS.

http://www.longecity.../crosslinks-r20

Solution: limit glucose(sugar) to "OK" level and eat some AGE-preventing, supplement or natural food ?

Though one post says it will be harder than that.

http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=595453

Eating sugar and carbs with protein and fats will tend to slow glucose and hence insulin spikes slightly. Starchy foods like potatoes and bananas always take slightly longer since the chains of glucose molecules that form the starch need to be broken up.

But in general the concept of combining similar foods together for optimum nutrition has been largely discredited. Your gut walls have a wide selection of receptors for different nutrients and they have little problem selecting what they need from the nutrient mix and chime that passes by.

So if bread contains sugar I shoudn't even use sugar to sweeten tea....can do that.

capric and caprlic acids - these can be used for energy directly. MCT oil, palm oil, and coconut oil contain these types of fats.

Might take a look at these.

Your proposed green powder mix is potentially healthy if all those ingredients agree with you.  There's a lot of stuff in there.  Some people can't tolerate some of those ingredients.  A few people don't digest Spirulina or Chlorella well.  A minority of people can't tolerate stevia.  Mixing that stuff with hot water would damage those nutrients.  If you want to take this product, I would take it alone and not with hot water.  Personally I like Green Magma plain powder barley grass juice.  It isn't necessarily nourishing as much as it it detoxifying.  It is a good source of chlorophyl, vitamin K and superoxide dismutase.  As directed, I take it alone or with certain other supplements on an empty stomach and no hot water.  I wait before eating after that. 

Little amount of hot water+milk -> warm milk

Warm milk + ingredients-> mix

I didn't try green powder nor spirulina nor chlorella, but I will try something, maybe Magma that you've mentioned. I'm not sure if i need detoxifying everyday? Shouldn't that be "cycled"?

Sounds like your digestion is sluggish.  If you have access to a Chinese herbalist/acupuncturist, they can work on that.  Consider learning about the principles of Chinese Medincine as it applies to diet and lifestyle.  It can help you to be healthier. See a link to my thread about this below.  

I see, I always thought my digestion is way too fast, thats why I eat and get hungry fast.

I will ask my friend about the mentioned above, not sure if I can afford it now, if not - I will put in calendar for 2nd half of the year.

Basically I think that eating three balanced meals a day is important.  

http://www.longecity...inese-medicine/

ok, then I have some reading ahead.

#4 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:48 AM

I didn't try green powder nor spirulina nor chlorella, but I will try something, maybe Magma that you've mentioned. I'm not sure if i need detoxifying everyday? Shouldn't that be "cycled"?  

Maybe.  You might not need that supplement, or not all the time. 

If you add anything hot or warm to your green superfoods mix you might damage the nutritional value.  Contact the company and see if warm liquids are o.k.  Also make sure you can combine it with other things.  

Where are you?  In Eastern Europe?  It seems like a cooked green vegetable is missing from your diet.  Also cooked yellow and orange vegetables are nourishing.  Just tomatoes and cucumbers every day will be missing some nutrients.  How about some fruit?  

It's best to avoid using a microwave if you can.  I try to make my breakfast without it but after that I sometimes use a microwave otherwise cooking for one would just be too difficult.  You can toast or warm bread without a microwave.  In fact, microwaves are  bad at warming bread.  You can toast bread on a cast iron skillet or griddle.  This actually tastes the best.  You can also use a toaster, oven or toaster oven.  If you want to warm bread but not toast it, sprinkle a little water on it and put in in the oven, preferably wrapped in baking parchment.  Something tells me baking parchment isn't on your shopping list, however.  

When I use a microwave, I put in on a delay and get 40 feet away from it to get a way from the radiation.  If your place is too small to get that far away, do what you can. 

Honey has some good qualities.  Personally I would not put in in a health drink to take every day.  I guess it's a personal decision.  

Cocoa also has some good qualities.  Personally I would omit it from a health drink, especially with protein but maybe it will work for you.  

It's not that you can't digest the sugar and protein together, it's just that your body might make something bad out of that mixture and form growths in your body, especially on your brain or your skin.  I can't say, twist yourself in knots to never eat protein with sugar.  I can say, try to use unsweetened protein drinks.  You can get used to it.  

Edited by Luminosity, 12 April 2014 - 05:58 AM.

#5 thedarkbobo

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

Maybe.  You might not need that supplement, or not all the time. 

If you add anything hot or warm to your green superfoods mix you might damage the nutritional value.  Contact the company and see if warm liquids are o.k.  Also make sure you can combine it with other things.  

Ok

Where are you?  In Eastern Europe?  It seems like a cooked green vegetable is missing from your diet.  Also cooked yellow and orange vegetables are nourishing.  Just tomatoes and cucumbers every day will be missing some nutrients.  How about some fruit?  

Yes, Poland. Hmm I think I can't provide myself vegs/fruits every day, thats why I look forward to some quality replacement. It's that I'm lazy :) but also prices are high(er) in winter and I don't like the taste of most vegs. I love mushrooms though. Of course I do eat fruits/vegs when I have some and fruits especialy during summer.

It's best to avoid using a microwave if you can.  I try to make my breakfast without it but after that I sometimes use a microwave otherwise cooking for one would just be too difficult.  You can toast or warm bread without a microwave.  In fact, microwaves are  bad at warming bread.  You can toast bread on a cast iron skillet or griddle.  This actually tastes the best.  You can also use a toaster, oven or toaster oven.  If you want to warm bread but not toast it, sprinkle a little water on it and put in in the oven, preferably wrapped in baking parchment.  Something tells me baking parchment isn't on your shopping list, however.  

When I use a microwave, I put in on a delay and get 40 feet away from it to get a way from the radiation.  If your place is too small to get that far away, do what you can. 

Hmm ok, well it was the matter of lazyness/time again, I love to make "casseroles" from time to time, but well toaster should be my solution then.

It's interesting as I see very different opinions on microwave safety, but most(all?) agree that radiation is unhealthy and cancer promoting.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21716201

I think that if microwave is hmm tight, there is only problem in what bad happens to food.

One paper abstract i've found says:

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/7047080

"Most reports indicated that microwave cooking resulted in higher moisture losses compared with conventional methods. Overall, the nutritional effects of microwaves on protein, lipid, and minerals appear minimal. There is no report on the effects of microwaves on carbohydrate fraction in foods. A large amount of data is available on the effects of microwaves on vitamins. It is concluded that there are only slight differences between microwave and conventional cooking on vitamin retention in foods. In conclusion, no significant nutritional differences exist between foods prepared by conventional and microwave methods. Any differences reported in the literature are minimal."

Here is another:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2722699/

"The effects of five domestic cooking methods, including steaming, microwaving, boiling, stir-frying, and stir-frying followed by boiling (stir-frying/boiling), on the nutrients and health-promoting compounds of broccoli were investigated. The results show that all cooking treatments, except steaming, caused significant losses of chlorophyll and vitamin C and significant decreases of total soluble proteins and soluble sugars. Total aliphatic and indole glucosinolates were significantly modified by all cooking treatments but not by steaming. In general, the steaming led to the lowest loss of total glucosinolates, while stir-frying and stir-frying/boiling presented the highest loss. Stir-frying and stir-frying/boiling, the two most popular methods for most homemade dishes in China, cause great losses of chlorophyll, soluble protein, soluble sugar, vitamin C, and glucosinolates, but the steaming method appears the best in retention of the nutrients in cooking broccoli."

http://www.plosone.o...al.pone.0053720

This one is long.

"The laboratory tests also proved that the protein and fat content of the milk was unaffected by the heating (data not shown)." It was heated to around 75C, I think that point is to not overheat meals using microwave. If you heat it to too high temperature, some ingredients could change.

"We utilised continuous colour monitoring during the storage of the orange juice. The Lab colour properties of all three control groups (WH, TH, MH) changed equally during the first 10 days of storage. Again, the two different treatment methods did not cause different effects. Interestingly, no negative effects of the heat treatment methods were detected when evaluating the vitamin C content. The vitamin C content decreased neither with the flow-through heating, nor with heated volume back mixing orange juice held on temperature for 10 minutes. The target temperature was 85°C in both cases.

The beneficial effects of the heat treatments were obvious when analysing the total viable cell count in the milk samples. We performed heat treatments 17 times at a minimum of 64°C and a maximum of 82°C without holding on temperature. We found that the decrease in total viable cell count was identical with both the microwave heat transfer and the water bath heat treatment. In our studies, differences of the effects of the heat treatment methods were detected only in the Lab colour characteristics of the milk samples, both in terms of the colour coordinates and the brightness index. The variation amounts to four units on a scale of 100, that is invisible to the naked eye. However, being able to detect a difference encourages us to continue our studies."

http://pubs.acs.org/....1021/jf970181x

Again, supporting my point that you can heat it but only to some degree.

"The effects of microwave treatments on the thermoxidative degradation of five edible fats and oils (sunflower oil, high oleic sunflower oil, virgin olive oil, olive oil, and lard) were determined. The samples were subjected to the following three well-controlled treatments:  (a) microwave heating, (b) heating in a conventional electric oven, and © exposure to microwave energy without heating. A comparative study was carried out on the deterioration of the oils as a result of microwave and conventional oven heating. Degradations were quantified by means of a combination of chromatographic techniques and related analytical index. Data analysis showed greater alterations in microwave-heated samples than in corresponding samples heated in a conventional oven. Finally, microwave energy, without heating (temperature lower than 40 °C), produced no oil alterations."

http://onlinelibrary...300259/abstract

This one could be interesting, but Its not free(?)

"Lipids and lipid-containing foods are particularly sensitive to microwave heating as the specific heat of lipids is low and thus they are quickly warmed up. Microwave heating mainly promotes lipid oxidation, but it can also cause lipolysis and polymerization. This cooking method can differently impact lipid oxidation depending on the treatment conditions used (power, temperature and time), as well as on food composition. This review provides a picture of the main degradation effects of microwave heating on vegetable oils and lipid-containing foods with emphasis on both fatty acids and cholesterol oxidation."

Honey has some good qualities.  Personally I would not put in in a health drink to take every day.  I guess it's a personal decision.  

Cocoa also has some good qualities.  Personally I would omit it from a health drink, especially with protein but maybe it will work for you.  

It's not that you can't digest the sugar and protein together, it's just that your body might make something bad out of that mixture and form growths in your body, especially on your brain or your skin.  I can't say, twist yourself in knots to never eat protein with sugar.  I can say, try to use unsweetened protein drinks.  You can get used to it.  

Ok

Edited by thedarkbobo, 12 April 2014 - 08:51 AM.

#6 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:41 AM

Here's some more possible reasons some people might not feel nourished:  Eating microwaved food, eating too many leftovers, eating that is food made in large batches and eaten over several days (this last one is from Chinese Medicine), eating frozen food. 

Some more things that are bad for health and functioning, cigarettes, tobacco, e-cigarettes, marijuana, "energy drinks" based on caffeine, hallucinogenic drugs like LSD, magic mushrooms, etc, other recreational drugs, illegal use of prescription drugs, some legal uses of prescription drugs, and alcohol.  Extreme diets, extreme exercise routines and extreme lifestyle regimens can be bad for people depending on the situation.  Denying yourself the basics that life depends on like rest, sleep, regular balanced meals, etc can be bad for people.       

#7 thedarkbobo

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

:) Well I don't drink energy drinks (can count like 2 per year), no cigarettes but I live near cigarette factory so sometimes you can smell nicotine ;) marijuana is banned, lsd and other mushrooms too, no illegal drugs, I'm not using normal drugs too, one thing was cough syrup for 2 weeks, no extreme exercise routines, even too much sleep.

Coming back to topic of milk shake:

Quote from great resource http://greenray4ever...ERASEACTIVATION

Diet - (3), [25], [55], [41s], Books/Diet & Life Extension, Books/Caloric Restriction & Longevity, Anti-Cancer Diet.
A bodybuilding supplement plus anticancer diet [49] [32] avoiding causes of cancer [71] with caloric restriction (3) for longevity is recommended. [LifeExtension/Diet]
Whey protein [LifeExtension, Books], an HGH booster - from blueberry yogurt or purified whey supplements. Using a supplement with plenty of arginine will allow the body to produce nitric oxide during a workout, lengthening vascular endothelial cell telomeres as described above [Vasa, et al, 2000; Hayashi, et al, 2006].
Creatine monohydrate - for improved muscle contractions in bodybuilding workouts.
Egg protein - from hardboiled eggs, or from blended egg whites.
Fish is preferred over meat to improve fish oil levels, avoid saturated fats, and to avoid excessive copper and iron.
Broccoli and broccoli sprouts are recommended for anticancer sulphoraphane and indole-3 carbinol. Cooked tomato sauce is recommended for bioavailable anticancer antioxidant lycopene.
Olive Oil [76] + water and spices salad dressings for a good balance of HDL and LDL cholesterol are preferred over omega-6 intensive salad oils.
Apples are recommended for quercetin [113], preferably at least 1/day.
Red grapes are recommended for resveratrol [100] (0) and quercetin [113].
Blueberries - Anthocyanadins in blueberries for elderly balance, dopamine levels. [LifeExtension, Links, Books]
Celery and grapefruit are recommended for a high-fiber approach to diet.
Sugars and starches are to be reduced to prevent formation of advanced glycation end-products with carbonylation of proteins. (5), [47].
Our diet should be low cholesterol, with the objective of lowering LDL low-density lipoprotein relative to HDL high density lipoprotein. [62].

So whey proteins with arginine is advised. Creatine monohydrate too, but I will abstrain from that. From that list I can see some mix of powdered vegetables[broccoli], if it still has its nutrition value, and mix of powdered apples, blueberries, grapefruit would be great.

Money wise I am trying to assess cost of supplements I would like to have per year and the number is quiet high. A lot of money would go wasted on shipping costs. For now - I will only get whey protein powder in next few days. Green stuff will have to wait.

#8 Ritchie

• 183 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:09 AM

You could also look at incorporating a dopamine precursor. L-tyrosine(Weak precursor) or Mucuna Pruriens(Strong precursor) are both ok. Just remember to also incorporate a serotonin precursor(5htp is good) to maintain balance of both neurotransmitters as Dopamine suppreses serotonin and vice versa.

#9 thedarkbobo

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

Ritche - thanks for suggestions - I was also considering L-theanine for anti stress properties.

[mixing]

2 days ago I tested the following (in around 300ml cup): 1/2 water + 1/2 milk(3%fat) + around 15 grams of carb(68%)whey(22%)sugar(18%) powder(buying in local shop was a mistake, overpriced and not best that I could get online)+ teaspoon of honey+teaspoon of cocoa mix. It was way too sweet.

Yesterday I tested the following (same cup): 1/2 water+1/2milk+around 20g of that powder+teaspoon of cocoa mix. It's not as sweet as yesterday's, but milk might make me sleepy and stomach is not used to "workout" powder.

Today I mixed: 1/5 water+4/5 milk + cocoa powder (1Tspoon) and then added 2 teaspoons of that why/carb powder. This time I've spent few more seconds stirring, so it dissolved better. Taste was much more pleasant.

*THINKING LOUDLY*

Still, I can't decide on grass powder, it all seems overpriced if I wanted to use it (almost) daily....Let's see:

Swanson has interesting mix, 8g servings from 230g container[for around 20$], 6g are mainly carbs and some fat,

in 2 grams 90% is a tomato fruit....heh..

Tomato Fruit

1.8 grams

Spirulina (Arthrospira platensis) (microalgae) 540 mg
Apple Pectin Powder 450 mg
Sunflower Lecithin (non-GMO) 405 mg
Carrot Root 360 mg
Alfalfa Leaf Juice Concentrate 315 mg
Broccoli (florets) 315 mg
Chlorella 315 mg
Parsley Leaf 315 mg
Wheat Grass 315 mg
Jerusalem Artichoke Leaf Extract 270 mg
Spinach Leaf 270 mg
Celery Stalk & Leaf 180 mg
Grapefruit Pectin (peel) 180 mg
Lime Fruit 180 mg
Orange Fruit 180 mg
Pea Legume 180 mg
Atlantic Kelp 90 mg
Brown Rice Bran 90 mg
Cabbage Leaf 90 mg
Kale Leaf 90 mg
Lemon Juice 90 mg
Onion Bulb 90 mg
Pineapple Fruit 90 mg
Papaya Fruit 61 mg
Cranberry Fruit 54 mg
Garlic Bulb 54 mg
Apricot Fruit 45 mg
Squash Fruit 45 mg
Black Cherry Fruit 38 mg
Beet Juice 18 mg
Elderberry Fruit Extract 4:1 18 mg
Grape Skin Extract18 mg
Grapeseed Extract (Vitis vinifera) (standardized to 95% proanthocyanidins) 18 mg
Cayenne Pepper (fruit 10 mg

And then there is "Ultra Greens Powder-Wheatgrass,Kelp,Barleygrass,Spirulina,Alfalfa,Hemp,Spinach" on ebay, which does not have listed amounts.

Well, there are also capsules with such mixes but lower amounts than powdered of course. I like to see opinions against hypes, so lets see:

http://www.fitonraw....-of-your-money/

So all in all, I am looking for european-style cheap as dirt powder from not over-hyped vegs and fruits :)

Cheapest I've found is 500g of powdered vegs (for pigeons) for like 5-7$ (carrots (2 kinds), red beet, parsley, parsnip, celery, onion, star anise). <- this is great.

In other shop:

1kg of tomato powder ~24$

1kg of spinach powder ~25$

1kg of onion powder ~20$

*all in all*

And then I have no idea how much nutrient value is lost during the process....same for all the GreenFoods brand powders. And then why not to stick with capsules of concentrate extracts...most vitamins can be obtained from multivitamin anyway. On the other hand .. http://www.longecity...nable-efficacy/

So I know nothing....so I will pass on those powders, untill the end of summer.

To get and mix list:

-l-tyrosine

-5htp

-l-theanine [I can find all three as powder for around 35$ each, thats ok]

-noopept[got it,not sure if mixing is good idea]

Energy+anti stress/focus is the holy grail of this drink.

When? I can't tell...will see..probably in next 2 months.

Edited by thedarkbobo, 24 April 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#10 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

You should consider a quality whey protein. I put Maca, creatine, beta-alanine and magnesium-potassium into my whey-shake. 

#11 Ritchie

• 183 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

Ritche - thanks for suggestions - I was also considering L-theanine for anti stress properties.

[mixing]
2 days ago I tested the following (in around 300ml cup): 1/2 water + 1/2 milk(3%fat) + around 15 grams of carb(68%)whey(22%)sugar(18%) powder(buying in local shop was a mistake, overpriced and not best that I could get online)+ teaspoon of honey+teaspoon of cocoa mix. It was way too sweet.

Yesterday I tested the following (same cup): 1/2 water+1/2milk+around 20g of that powder+teaspoon of cocoa mix. It's not as sweet as yesterday's, but milk might make me sleepy and stomach is not used to "workout" powder.

Today I mixed: 1/5 water+4/5 milk + cocoa powder (1Tspoon) and then added 2 teaspoons of that why/carb powder. This time I've spent few more seconds stirring, so it dissolved better. Taste was much more pleasant.

*THINKING LOUDLY*
Still, I can't decide on grass powder, it all seems overpriced if I wanted to use it (almost) daily....Let's see:

Swanson has interesting mix, 8g servings from 230g container[for around 20$], 6g are mainly carbs and some fat,
in 2 grams 90% is a tomato fruit....heh..
Tomato Fruit

1.8 grams

Spirulina (Arthrospira platensis) (microalgae) 540 mg
Apple Pectin Powder 450 mg
Sunflower Lecithin (non-GMO) 405 mg
Carrot Root 360 mg
Alfalfa Leaf Juice Concentrate 315 mg
Broccoli (florets) 315 mg
Chlorella 315 mg
Parsley Leaf 315 mg
Wheat Grass 315 mg
Jerusalem Artichoke Leaf Extract 270 mg
Spinach Leaf 270 mg
Celery Stalk & Leaf 180 mg
Grapefruit Pectin (peel) 180 mg
Lime Fruit 180 mg
Orange Fruit 180 mg
Pea Legume 180 mg
Atlantic Kelp 90 mg
Brown Rice Bran 90 mg
Cabbage Leaf 90 mg
Kale Leaf 90 mg
Lemon Juice 90 mg
Onion Bulb 90 mg
Pineapple Fruit 90 mg
Papaya Fruit 61 mg
Cranberry Fruit 54 mg
Garlic Bulb 54 mg
Apricot Fruit 45 mg
Squash Fruit 45 mg
Black Cherry Fruit 38 mg
Beet Juice 18 mg
Elderberry Fruit Extract 4:1 18 mg
Grape Skin Extract18 mg
Grapeseed Extract (Vitis vinifera) (standardized to 95% proanthocyanidins) 18 mg
Cayenne Pepper (fruit 10 mg

And then there is "Ultra Greens Powder-Wheatgrass,Kelp,Barleygrass,Spirulina,Alfalfa,Hemp,Spinach" on ebay, which does not have listed amounts.

Well, there are also capsules with such mixes but lower amounts than powdered of course. I like to see opinions against hypes, so lets see:
http://www.fitonraw....-of-your-money/

So all in all, I am looking for european-style cheap as dirt powder from not over-hyped vegs and fruits :)
Cheapest I've found is 500g of powdered vegs (for pigeons) for like 5-7$ (carrots (2 kinds), red beet, parsley, parsnip, celery, onion, star anise). <- this is great.
In other shop:
1kg of tomato powder ~24$
1kg of spinach powder ~25$
1kg of onion powder ~20$

*all in all*
And then I have no idea how much nutrient value is lost during the process....same for all the GreenFoods brand powders. And then why not to stick with capsules of concentrate extracts...most vitamins can be obtained from multivitamin anyway. On the other hand .. http://www.longecity...nable-efficacy/

So I know nothing....so I will pass on those powders, untill the end of summer.

To get and mix list:
-l-tyrosine
-5htp
-l-theanine [I can find all three as powder for around 35$ each, thats ok]
-noopept[got it,not sure if mixing is good idea]

Energy+anti stress/focus is the holy grail of this drink.
When? I can't tell...will see..probably in next 2 months.

You could also look at chinese skullcap. One of its alkaloids(Woginin) has an anti anxiety effect without sedation and muscle relaxing. Another one of its alkaloids(Oroxylin A) is a potent dopamine reuptake inhibitor similar to Ritalin, and has been shown to be incredibly effective for treating ADHD. Keep in mind that these are in vitro studies, but chinese skullcap is cheap and readily availible so why not try adding it? I imagine the herb will probably taste very bitter(like most herbs) but your adding in l tyrosine which tastes horrible aswell so hey, why not?

If you need the Links to the studys done on chinese skullcap, go to the thread that I started in the brain health forums, it has all the links.

Edited by Ritchie, 24 April 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#12 thedarkbobo

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

You got me ;) So I decided to throw in EGCG powder...ordered 50g(That's a lot, but it's cheap) and 60 caps of 5-htp (will see if it helps, then maybe I will get powder).

I've read that topic today, sounds promising... it inhibits not only dopamine but also acetylcholine and histamine, and that shouldwork anti anxiety...it sounds great, I am wondering if "full spectrum" is right choice...on the other hand I'm not sure if I need to inhibit all 3 of them..mmm.

You should consider a quality whey protein. I put Maca, creatine, beta-alanine and magnesium-potassium into my whey-shake. 

I have whey protein/carb powder mix, next time (in few months) I will buy a different one.

So your proposition is maca, creatine, beta-alanine and magnsium-potassium...

I think I will need to put magnesium-(?potassium?). Have to read about the maca, beta-alanine and creatine. Are they 100% safe ?

Edited by thedarkbobo, 24 April 2014 - 03:26 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#13 thedarkbobo

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

Ok skullcap or anything with "reuptake inhibitor" is out for me, only precursors are ok for this mix.

http://en.wikipedia....ptake_inhibitor

L-theanine + EGCG should be really ok.

Creatine seems ok, will add later. Maca nope.

B complex would be another thing I probably should add.

Magnesium will have problems when taken with milk....

Beta-alanine - maybe.

So:

- whey protein or carb slow release powder ~20-30g [have]

- milk/water/juice (what suits best, I start to bend towards juice) ~300ml [have]

- cocoa ~5g [have]

- 5htp ~100mg [ordered]

- egcg ~300mg [ordered]

- l-theanine ~200mg [not yet ordered]

- creatine ~500mg [not yet ordered]

- b complex  [not yet ordered]

- forskolin ~50-100mg full spectrum [have][tried  today, no noticeable taste change]

Thats max I would put atm.

Thank you for suggestions :-D

edit:

by the way

Due to poor water solubility and low oral bioavailability, clinical use of forskolin is limited and has led to development and study of colforsin ( NKH477 ), a water-soluble derivative.

http://www.drugs.com.../forskolin.html

Edited by thedarkbobo, 25 April 2014 - 09:38 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: work, food, healthy, hunger, milk, cocoa, honey, body, brain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users