Photo
- - - - -

Community formulated Enriched Iced Tea mix

community formulated iced tea healthy light

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 YOLF

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:43 AM

I've recently discovered that there is no tea mix that is entirely healthy and I feel I could make my own tea mix that was not only healthier, but more convenient. Is anyone else interested in this? Basically, I'd be taking orders and putting together the tea mix from the raw ingredients based on interest. If it goes beyond that, I'd probably have to leave LC, so let's keep it unbranded for now.

Here's how mine would differ:

Flavorless (add your own flavor to each glass)

No dyes (can cause allergies for some)

No caramel coloring (can be toxic if you drink too much)

No Sugar (you already have your sugar of choice, why compromise, add what you want in the quantity you want)

Enriched with (maybe):

L-theanine

Caffiene equal to coffee or soda

B complex

Guarana

Taurine

Vitamin C

Other antioxidants TBD

Other noots TBD

Other energy supps TBD

Edited by cryonicsculture, 12 April 2014 - 01:44 AM.

• like x 1

#2 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

Add in 5g of micronized Creatine Monohydrate, or a similar form of Creatine that has good solubility. Many of the forum residents are on a restricted diet, often vegan, and although the body will synthesize enough Creatine on its own, the stress that this causes the body in respect to drainage of methylation and B-vitamin levels to achieve this is extreme, and actually works against the dieting restrictions in a big way.

Edited by cryonicsculture, 12 April 2014 - 09:22 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 LaViidaLocaa

• 96 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

EGCg, ginger, creatine, cocoa could be good additions as well

Edited by cryonicsculture, 12 April 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#4 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

Sweeten with glycine

I'd recommend two formulas, a black tea w/ caffeine based formula for daytime, and a hibiscus tea / Flor de Jamaica based formula for after dinner.

Edited by Darryl, 12 April 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#5 LexLux

• 265 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

Here's my favourite - hibiscus, ginger, erythritol, FOS, creatine, L-theanine, red wine (optional). If you have a blender try adding frozen berries, its just so good.

Its very similar to Caribbean Sorrel 

Edited by LexLux, 12 April 2014 - 06:41 PM.

#6 LexLux

• 265 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

Sweeten with glycine

I'd recommend two formulas, a black tea w/ caffeine based formula for daytime, and a hibiscus tea / Flor de Jamaica based formula for after dinner.

Nice one Darryl I have to try glycine. You're the most reliable guy on this site, it must feel good to be such a gangsta.

• like x 1

#7 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

EGCg, ginger, creatine, cocoa could be good additions as well

EGCg sounds like a good idea. The rest will affect the flavor and would be better for the drinker to add.  I definitely like some of those ingredients, though I would usually find them in a chai tea mix.

Add in 5g of micronized Creatine Monohydrate, or a similar form of Creatine that has good solubility. Many of the forum residents are on a restricted diet, often vegan, and although the body will synthesize enough Creatine on its own, the stress that this causes the body in respect to drainage of methylation and B-vitamin levels to achieve this is extreme, and actually works against the dieting restrictions in a big way.

Hmmm... this would be dose/serving dependent. What are your assumptions for the amount someone drinks?

Edited by cryonicsculture, 12 April 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#8 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

Sweeten with glycine

The sweetener would be added by the drinker. The tea mix would only be tea powder and enrichment. The hibiscus tea could be another option that we pursue after we finalize the black tea.

Edited by cryonicsculture, 12 April 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#9 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:36 PM

Assumption would be about 16oz (~0.5 liters) per serving. That should be more than enough to dissolve the necessary supplements, tea, and sweeteners, and still allow for someone to have a few servings a day. Remember, Creatine is recommended to be taken as around 20g per day in a loading phase, and has been shown to be completely safe at that dosage other than a bit of water retention. That would require 5 tall glasses of Tea, and if taken at that level you could expect the Caffeine to cancel out any water retention, being itself a diuretic.

#10 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

Assumption would be about 16oz (~0.5 liters) per serving. That should be more than enough to dissolve the necessary supplements, tea, and sweeteners, and still allow for someone to have a few servings a day. Remember, Creatine is recommended to be taken as around 20g per day in a loading phase, and has been shown to be completely safe at that dosage other than a bit of water retention. That would require 5 tall glasses of Tea, and if taken at that level you could expect the Caffeine to cancel out any water retention, being itself a diuretic.

Hmmm, my daily dose of tea is upwards of 4 quarts! We can always put the tea mix into bottles or cannisters that have ample extra space to add and mix other things. 

Sweatener (sugar) for instance takes up 94.7% of my Lipton tea mix canister (serving size is 19g of powder which contains 18g of sugar!)! The stuff is all sugar! So we'll have plenty of extra space and we can put tea recipes on the canister including recommendations for sweeteners and serving size. You also won't have to buy tea mix as often or store a giant heavy canister anywhere. It will of course come with an appropriate measuring spoon too I'm thinking.

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:07 AM

Remember, Creatine is recommended to be taken as around 20g per day in a loading phase, and has been shown to be completely safe at that dosage other than a bit of water retention.

...and your hair falling out like crazy. Only happens to some, but I was one of them.

#12 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:26 AM

I have literally never heard anything about that before in my life. There haven't been too many studies on it, but what I could find on it shows that it can happen with people who have a family history of Male Pattern Baldness. And it's worth mentioning that without supplementation, people get quite a lot of Creatine naturally from just eating meat. It seems likely that a steak or two per day could have caused a similar problem.

Here's a good page with some links to what studies I could quickly find. They seem to have been done mostly on sports players (rugby, specifically), and had nothing at all to do with hair loss. No studies that I could actually find have conclusively linked Creatine to hair loss, if you have some, I would love to see it.

http://examine.com/f...e-baldness.html

#13 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:02 AM

I think a personal experience is enough to say that in some cases it does happen. Niner is reputable IMO and has an enabling background.

Rugby players are usually fairly young... TMK it's a college sport. So they probably wouldn't be as susceptible to the hair loss at their age as pattern baldness results from a change in the level of a particular hormone IIRC.

#14 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

I don't need no community formulated vitamin-enriched junk-food (or drink).

If I want a healthy drink, I brew a tea myself, freshly, and I add ginger and lemon to flavour it. I get more than enough vitamins from my diet and a multivitamin. If I want any other stuff, I'd rather take a supplement.

• like x 2

#15 LexLux

• 265 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

If I want a healthy drink, I brew a tea myself, freshly, and I add ginger and lemon to flavour it. I get more than enough vitamins from my diet and a multivitamin. If I want any other stuff, I'd rather take a supplement.

:-(

#16 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

That's the idea. But if you brew black tea yourself, you won't get as much EGCG as might be optimal. Of course you'll be able to choose your own sweetener too. But you won't have to boil and steep tea everyday. Just use the tea mix. For those of us who use tea mix, this will be much healthier than the stuff that's already available.

#17 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

Luminosity wrote a blog entry on tea here. Looks like there are other ways of decaffeinating tea besides CO2. Let's read her post and discuss it.

#18 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B009PIEW3O

#19 YOLF

• Topic Starter
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:03 AM

Ok, did some research, here's what I came up with:

Zero additive black tea powder w/25-50mg caffeine

Per serving:

Tea Complex:

• 100mg L-theanine
  • 100mg Polyphenols complex w/ catechins and EGCG 98/80/70 

50mg Vitamin C

150mg potassium

500mg Creatine

B Complex:

• 100 mg B1 Thiamine HCl
  • 2mg B5 niacinamide
  • 10 mg B6 Pyridoxine HCl
  • 200 mcg B12 methylcobalamin

250 mg Guarana seed extract (20% caffeine)

50mg caffeine from guarana extract

200mg L-taurine

Assumptions:

5 glasses a day

Edited by cryonicsculture, 23 April 2014 - 06:09 AM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: community, formulated, iced tea, healthy, light

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users