DIY Liposomal heat sensitive compound

liposomal diy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shadok

• 20 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

I'm creating a new topic because the subject seems of interest.

I'd like to make liposomal dichloroacetate. The thing is, it get destroyed by heat, and the process of making liposome implies/generate heat.

I could put the ultrasound device on the freezer but, won't the cold affect the surfactant somehow?

#2 koala_muncher

• 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

One way of creating lyposomes is dissolving some lipids eg soy lecithin and a bit of cholesterol in an organic solvent and then boiling off the solvent.  Once you get the dried lipid mix you then add an aqueous phase (water) in a buffer at a particular ph.  The lyposomes are generated in a distribution of sizes.  You then normally need to agitate them down to a smaller size (eg using a ultrasonic disruptor).  The lypophic drug you want to be enshrouded in the liposome is added in either the solvent (organic) phase or the aqueous phase.  To boil off the solvent you would normally do this at LOW temperature using a fancy lab device called a rotary evaporator which drops the boiling point by using a vacuum pump.  Note, the success of the liposomes are very dependent on the relative masses of the components as well as many other factors.  You will need a reasonably equipped organic chem lab to do this properly.   Best thing is, to get on scholar.google.com and start searching for a paper that has done and optimised the process of doing the exact same thing you want, then copy it exactly.   Hope this helps.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 vasra

• 23 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

In ultrasound cavitation, did you see how the overall liquid temperature changed? Perhaps local hot spot (bubble) super heating and cooling might not be such an issue for your volatile compounds, if it is very rapid in time.

How did you measure the destruction of dicholroacetate?

#4 koala_muncher

• 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:45 AM

Hi Vasra, I haven't made my liposomes yet.  Just waiting for my rotary evaporator to arrive from China.  I'm going to use a 300W ultrasonic disruputor to break down the liposomes to a smaller more uniform distribution.  I'll let you know how it affects the temp of the soln.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 nightlight

• 374 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:21 AM

I make Liposomal Vitamin C which is also sensitive to higher temperature.

Here is my procedure:

1) Blend for 3-4 minutes sunflower lecithin with distilled water at 120F.

2) Cool that mixture in the fridge until it reaches ~40-50F temperature

3) Dissolve ascorbic acid or ascorbate in cold  (40-50F) distilled water

4) Mix the liquids from (2) and (3) and blend for under 1 minute

5a)  -- First variant (for smaller ultrasonic tub)

Put the combined mixture (4) into the tub of ultrasonic cleaner together with

a glass jar (or glass) filled with ice and water. Use this jar to stir the emulsion

as it sonificates to keep the temperature 50-60F. . Add more ice into jar when

it melts away.

5b) -- Second variant (for larger ultrasonic tub)

Put the mixture (4) into a thin walled hard plastic or glass container. Add cold tap

water and ice cubes into the ultrasonic tub, then float or set the plastic container in

this  water. Add more ice cubes into water between cycles as they melt away.

This can also keep the temperature in the range 50-60F.

Either way, DCA is plenty stable to tolerate those temperatures for 1/2 hour or so

during sonification.

Edited by nightlight, 06 May 2014 - 03:22 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: liposomal, diy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users