• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Schizophrenia and disrupted brainwaves, is there a way to improve?

schizophrenia brainwaves

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:08 AM

I know schizophrenic brainwaves are distorted in some parts of the brain, I was wondering if there is a way to correct/adjust these brainwaves to make them stronger, if so, if it will affect symptoms/neurotransmitters if you can improve those brainwaves.

I noticed years ago and still notice when someone moves near, to close to my head it literally feels like their (friends/family) stronger brainwaves are disrupting mine, like our electric "forces" push one another, off course, the one who is healthy won't notice this but me who has most likely disrupted weak brainwaves feels it. I don't know exactly how to explain it, when I'm too much stressed and/or someone who doesn't know me well and wants something from me, stresses me to much and starts playing mind games (like, trying to manipulate me to get something from me) it's like my brainwaves weaken further to the point it not only disrupts and distorts my already weak brainwaves but it also causes neurotransmitters to act differently (like my (brain)waves "traps" the idea's/thoughts of the manipulator and it doesn't know anymore how to let go of it and/or how to act/think in that situation anymore) so while my guard is down due to much stress I enter a acute-psychotic break and in the worst scenario a half/full breakdown, like how schizophrenia is called, my mind gets "split" (when my guard is up and I'm stable, I force the one who is shady to fuck off and I prevent this from happening). Or is it maybe the other way around, where brainwaves are already weakened because of schizophrenic's neurotransmitters don't work properly and/are haywired? (I don't know if this makes any sense but this is how I literally experience it on several occasions) Is there anyone who also experienced this?

#2 goodman

• 171 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

yes, especially the family thing..its quite creepy
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

Glycine is one thing you can try.

Efficacy of High-Dose Glycine in the Treatment of Enduring Negative Symptoms of Schizophrenia

This should be interesting to read: http://www.express.c...-schizophrenics

#4 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

I'm already on Sarcosine for negatives and dp/dr kinda weird disturbing symptoms.. Thanks for the link, though, by the time it's on the market it's a decade further..

I guess disrupted brainwaves are not considered negatives.

#5 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

Well, its saying that a shortage of glucose is a problem in schizophrenia. Have you tried drinking some OJ, or coca cola?

Have you been tested for hypothyroid?

#6 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

Yea, I drink Cola etc. don't notice anything on my symptoms though.

No, my docs are douchebags on that matter, I've been "crying" for years that I suspect some of my symptoms are due to a dysfunction of my hormone household/thyroid but they won't let me get tested because in their books schizophrenia symptoms are not related to thyroid dysfunction. One reason to seriously suspect my thyroid is dysfunctional is due to the fact that I wasn't been able to gain muscle's, even after I quit antipsychotics for 2 years I wasn't able to.. After 8 months Pregnenolone I gained 8KG muscle mass, after telling my doc, they say I don't know what Preg is, you shouldn't use that. Docs are getting arrogant when you find something that's wrong on your own and/or learn them something new.

Edited by YoungSchizo, 13 April 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#7 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:18 AM

Well, same problem here in Germany.

I mentioned my Ashwaganhda intake to my Doc, and got the answer that its neither tested or approved for Depression or anything else...

While NCBI is full of Reports where its neurite outgrowth synaptogenesis properties are mentioned etc.

I guess their System is so rusty that current knowledge from research needs 10 Years+ to reach the Doctor/Patient.

Sometimes I´m playing with the Idea to pay on my own a Private Doc.

I mean those Doc´s where the rich people go.

Anyway, I read somewhere that the Hippocampus is the main modulator for the Brainwaves.

Unfortunaetly I cant find the Abstract anymore, since my old Pc crashed a few months ago, and google is really helpful -.- .

So, just wanted it to mention. But take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by Flex, 14 April 2014 - 02:19 AM.

#8 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

Yea, wish I could afford a private doc too, same shit in the Netherlands. They look down on you when you're ahead of something, like with Sarcosine, when I told my doc it improved my debilitating symptoms in just a week he made a cynical smile like I was talking out of my ass. After several appointments and seeing the fast & great improvements I made, the following year he got himself a Bitopertin trial which is made by looking at the molecular structure of Sarcosine, coincidence? Don't think so!

Argh.. the Hippocampus, another fucked up region in the schizophrenic brain. So if the Hippocampus is the modulator of all brainwaves, I can assume the Hippocampus is affecting how neurotransmitters signal, not the brainwaves itself..?  

• like x 1

#9 username

• 176 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

Just go to a doctor (different doctor) and say you feel tired all the time, thyroid problems are in your family and you wanna get tested. Problem solved. :)

In regard to brainwaves: It kinda sounds like an 'interesting' way to describe your symptoms.

Btw, do you use EPA? I one post, I found that you use Omega-3.

In a double blind trial that demands neither side knows what they are administering or receiving, 45 patients already on anti-psychotics and still exhibiting symptoms took one of two types of fish oil, EPA or DHA, or a corn oil placebo. The results were startling. The team found symptoms reduced by a quarter in those who took EPA.

http://www.independe...ia-1157380.html

The article isn't really well-written (calling clozapine the 'new kid on the block'), but interesting nonetheless. Dr Peet is THE guy who studies EPA and mental illness.

#10 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

I wish it was that easy in the Netherlands, but it isn't, you are stuck to one general practitioner and psychiatrist. I can maybe go and try a doc here in my parents city, but in general, docs are assholes, they let you visit 4 times before they will listen to you and let you get tested.

Yes, I'm taking Omega's for years, though, never noticed any benefits on my schizo symptoms (other than it might give Mirtazapine a boost).. Right now I'm taking this one, what's the proven dosage EPA that does miracle's?

I've bought Ayuverdic supplements and try to improve my condition, Ashwagandha, Brahmi and Manasatva. 

#11 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:07 AM

This article explains a lot about symptoms from past week, the Hippocampus regulates the brainwaves and does not affect neurotransmitters, it's the other way around. What can I say, sometimes I'm just a confused little mouse  :dry:  

"mice displayed several behavioral symptoms of schizophrenia, including impaired short-term memory, attention deficits, and abnormal social behavior."

“We think that in this mouse model, we may have some kind of indication that there’s a disorganized thinking process going on,”

“During ripple events in normal mice we know there is a sequential replay event. This mutant mouse doesn’t seem to have that kind of replay of a previous experience.”

"The researchers believe the abnormal hyperactivity they found in the hippocampus may represent a disruption of the brain’s “default mode network” — a communication network that connects the hippocampus, prefrontal cortex (where most thought and planning occurs), and other parts of the cortex.

This network is more active when a person (or mouse) is resting between goal-oriented tasks. When the brain is focusing on a specific goal or activity, the default mode network gets turned down. However, this network is hyperactive in schizophrenic patients before and during tasks that require the brain to focus, and patients do not perform well in these tasks."

Edited by YoungSchizo, 16 April 2014 - 12:09 AM.

#12 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

Nice Found :-)

Found up untill now only this

http://www.jneurosci.../15560.abstract

Need to dig deeper... :dry:

Edited by Flex, 16 April 2014 - 07:41 AM.

#13 username

• 176 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

I wish it was that easy in the Netherlands, but it isn't, you are stuck to one general practitioner and psychiatrist. I can maybe go and try a doc here in my parents city, but in general, docs are assholes, they let you visit 4 times before they will listen to you and let you get tested.

Yes, I'm taking Omega's for years, though, never noticed any benefits on my schizo symptoms (other than it might give Mirtazapine a boost).. Right now I'm taking this one, what's the proven dosage EPA that does miracle's?

I've bought Ayuverdic supplements and try to improve my condition, Ashwagandha, Brahmi and Manasatva. 

It's not very well studied, unfortunately. Dr Peet performed two dosage studies: 1g pure EPA showed the best results for depression and 2g for schizophrenia. Other doctors use EPA and DHA in very high dosages (6g or even more EPA+DHA). Most who use it recommend 1-2g EPA minus DHA (generally, pure is best since DHA seems to block EPA's effect).

The supplement you take looks pretty good. You should take at least 5 pills a day (200mg EPA minus DHA per pill -> 5-10 pills equals 1-2g EPA minus DHA) or take a different supplement, ideally pure EPA.

This can take weeks to months, though. Try to up your dosage to at least five pills (or take a different supplement) and see if you see any improvement in the next 1-3 months. It's kind of a waste not to use such a simple treatment when it's been shown to be beneficial. It very likely won't 'cure' you - but just imagine a 10% improvement (possibly quite a bit more) with stupid fish oil. Kinda cool to think about that :)

Edited by longschi, 16 April 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#14 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:44 AM

Hmm I'm gonna look for a good source for EPA, you know a cheap one from Europe?

Which symptom can I expect to see the most improvements on? Positive? 

#15 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

As far as I know, the body converts DHA easily to EPA but harder from EPA to DHA

#16 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Maybe a schizo brain can't turned it easily to EPA, just a thought..

For example: I eat lots of chicken, eggs etc. which contain quite some Sarcosine and never experienced improvements, supplementing Sarco did miracles!

#17 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:29 PM

The last 4 days I'm feeling much better without taking NAC, my symptoms got worse 4 days ago, 3 ago I didn't take NAC, yesterday I took and got worse again, today I haven't.. I don't think is coincidence, I experienced this more often when having a acute-psychosis (this was actually a full-blown psychosis, Clonazepam saved my mouse brain/ass), any idea if NAC is capable of backfiring as a side-effect and/or some other reason? (I have no clue why I'm taking NAC, it may help me indirectly but I never had a direct effects which noticed... Well, I think it helps as part of recovery of my flaw-full brain and clean my liver when I had too much alcohol, other than that, I sorta just joined the hurdle on this one).

#18 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:32 PM

Hmm cant help you with that. Afaik NAC increases mglu1 which in turn increases endocannabinoids.
If you are sensitive to cannabis or sulbutiamin(because kainate also increases endocanabinoids) then should or could this be the reason.

Its just a tough, since i dont know it
  • like x 1

#19 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:47 PM

I'm highly sensitive to THC, one hit and I'm hallucinating like I'm in hell, so your guess might exactly explain the effect NAC has on me right now, thanks!

I'm still gonna try CBD though, I really hope I won't hallucinate from just 0,01% THC!

#20 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:47 AM

Hope it will be Ok.
From where did you bought it? Is it dixie botanicals?

#21 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:23 AM

I haven't yet, I don't have a good/reliable source to get high CBD, the ones that are readily available on the Dutch market are nothing (like 3% CBD) compared to what they sell as weed (to smoke) in the US. And the ones that are readily available (as drops) on the US market are to pricey for me. They have a strain with something like 18% CBD with 0,01% THC called AC/DC I'm waiting for these kind of cannabis/drops to get my hands on.

Formergenius told me there is another good source for high CBD (that is being sold to the EU) mentioned in the long mental health CBD thread but I haven't had the "time" yet to go through the whole thread.

Right now I'm waiting for Minocycline to arrive, see what that'll do to my f'ing brain. If that doesn't work, it's back to the drawing board.

#22 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:35 AM

My pseudo-science theory/explanation already exists, I've found it today.

Other theories suggest that the natural emission of the body’s magnetic and electrical fields act like an antennae and are able to draw information in to it. By extension, some are able to access these fields or the fields of other objects/persons and are somehow able to use them to influence things. (a theory that confirms my OP).

#23 goodman

• 171 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

sounds esoteric youngschizo

#24 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

Yes, how I experience it it does I guess, though, if you think about it, everyone does have this to some degree.. for example: when someone stand behind you (silent), you will most likely notice/feel this and look behind you.

#25 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

Interresting.

By the way the Esoteric ones are who destroy the reputation of those theories.

@ goodman, just google: Out of body experiences.

There are rising numbers of reputable scientific study´s

#26 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

Learned yesterday, that the Hippocampus activates the VTA.

So a functional Hippocampus should maybe have some effects on Cognition and Behavior

The hippocampal-VTA loop: controlling the entry of information into long-term memory.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15924857

Here is something for Your Drawboard ;)

Calcineurin is known to inhibit dopamine release at presynaptic sites by inactivating synapsin I, a calmodulin-binding protein involved in exocytosis and neurotransmitter release from synaptosomes
http://hal.archives-...TML/index.xhtml

Although You should have notice it in the Time when You used Antipsychotics for a while 

Changes in calcineurin expression induced in the rat brain by the administration of antipsychotics.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16033416

Aynway, according to Wiki Quercetin does inhibits it as well

Edited by Flex, 21 April 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#27 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:57 AM

My symptoms are nothing like an outer body experience, it's more like a: it pulls worthless shit of others in my head kinda experience :)

A more popular belief of late is that people who exhibit some of these tendencies interact with information on a sub-atomic level. This may stem from part of the theory of quantum entanglement, (or as Einstein called it- “Spooky action at a distance”) which basically says that any two particles that have interacted before are each bound to other. What happens to one, regardless of distance, affects the other.

This theory I like the most, I think physics are playing a big role (that real science have not any proof of yet) in our lifes and between communication between humans who had/have a bond, if one is mentally ill or not, also in healthy humans. What is healthy anyway? If I look/listen to people who are healthy, they're so much mentally ill than me. 1 out of every 3 people hear voices (I read somewhere), why is that not classified as being psychotic?

Thanks for the links Flex, I see that Cyclosporin is available as a medication in the Netherlands, however, I don't think my psychiatrist will prescribe me this (because it's quite expensive which insurance will not approve me to take it for schizophrenia and psychiatrist are fucking guideline slaves), and buying it online is impossible for me, 30 pills $200+

I have Quercetin (just bought it out of curiosity), I've used it for more than 3 weeks and didn't notice any improvement from it on my symptoms, didn't quite stopped me from getting psychotic. I'm back on 5mg Zyprexa again, maybe I'll notice something if I start taking Quercetin alongside of it.

Btw. I have set my hopes on Minocycline, check this out (bought 30 pills, if this helps I'll definitely will get my hands on it through my psych as there is enough evidence of it's benefits). I also have high hopes of EVP-6124, which still has to be approved to get the clinical trial up and running. 

#28 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:39 AM

ventral tegmental area of Tsai (VTA) very very interesting read! Explains a lot, though, now wait for the first scientist to say: We have found a compound as a treatment option for this pathway in schizophrenics, then follows a 10 years drug failures, 10 years later one drug with many side-effects gets approved, by that time I might be dead from suffering.  :|?

Sucks to be phrenic when you became schizo 10 years ago!

I think those scientific clinical programs for drug approval also needs to undergo a revolution, like with smart-phone technology, each year there should at least be one new drug enter the market. If people die, let them *first sign a contract saying shit happens. We don't see scientist whining about the cancer phone signals give  :dry: (Don't know if it actually causes cancer but I guess you get my point.)

Edited by YoungSchizo, 22 April 2014 - 04:43 AM.

#29 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

Correction: Brainwaves do affect neurotransmitter.

Abstract (which I don't have access to)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#30 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

Neuroscience was somewhat halted from the 70´s till the 90´s according to my old Cemistry Teacher.

I guess nowadays there´s a big run in this area.

Just wanted to mention the Out of Body experiences as an example. Thus to show that some things arent esoteric at all.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: schizophrenia, brainwaves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users