- - - - -

Theobromine poisoning

dark chocolate 90% cocoa health immortality

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:03 AM

Okay, I have read a rant or two on a couple websites about how a woman almost died of theobromine poisoning because she ate a bar of 90% dark chocolate.

Seriously, what the fuck? How is this even possible? I eat half a bar a day (which at the most can cause me some anxiety) but I have never felt like I was suffering from liver damage, kidney damage or any of the other symptoms claimed on these sites.

What are the chances? Also, can too much dark chocolate cause adrenal fatigue like too much coffee has been known to from time to time?

How much is too much?

#2 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:54 AM

Was it a woman or a dog? ;-)

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:54 AM

Was it a woman or a dog? ;-)

In some instances it is difficult to tell the difference, with what little care some people give themselves, but no, It was a woman in this case. 

• dislike x 2
  • Cheerful x 1

#4 0010

• 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:21 AM

I drink 1.5 kilos of cacao a week and the only downside is having to pee every 30 minutes or so. 

• dislike x 3
  • like x 1

#5 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

As long as there isn't any reference it's most certainly BS.

100 g of dark chocolate has about 1 g of theobromine which is way below any reported (human) toxicity threshold. An intoxication from such a tiny amount may be possible if someone has a genetic defect in the enzymes involved in xanthine metabolism and therefore, just like a dog, can't metabolize the theobromine. I don't know if this even exists.

Edited by timar, 14 April 2014 - 06:49 AM.

• like x 3

#6 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

As long as there isn't any reference it's most certainly BS.

100 g of dark chocolate has about 1 g of theobromine which is way below any reported (human) toxicity threshold. An intoxication from such a tiny amount may be possible if someone has a genetic defect in the enzymes involved in xanthine metabolism and therefore, just like a dog, can't metabolize the theobromine. I don't know if this even exists.

Well aren't some people slow metabolizers of caffeine due to enzymatic deficiency, or those we call "caffeine sensitive"? Would these same people be sensitive to theobromine? 

I know it won't kill people but why risk putting yourself over the anxiety threshold if at all avoidable?

Personally dark chocolate is a double edged sword to me. I love it but it can create a bit of anxiety if I eat it and then have nothing better to do than focus on its effects.

I drink 1.5 kilos of cacao a week and the only downside is having to pee every 30 minutes or so. 

What do you mean you 'drink' it? Do you make hot cocoa from pure cocoa powder? 

#7 0010

• 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:32 AM

Yes, I make cocao drink from cacao powder. Couldn't get any more obvious  :D 

• dislike x 3
  • like x 2

#8 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

Well aren't some people slow metabolizers of caffeine due to enzymatic deficiency, or those we call "caffeine sensitive"? Would these same people be sensitive to theobromine?

Possibly, but not necessarily. Caffeine is only partially metabolized to theobromine and has of course a much stronger effect itself, so I doubt whether the small percentage of caffeine that is metabolized to theobromine could contribute much to caffeine sensitivity.

I know it won't kill people but why risk putting yourself over the anxiety threshold if at all avoidable?

Because dark chocolate/cocoa is one of the healthiest, most flavonoid-rich superfoods on the planet? And not to forget, because it tastes darn good (IMO). Oh, and because for probably 99% of all people it is perfectly safe. Almost every child drinks cocoa and eats chocolate!

Personally dark chocolate is a double edged sword to me. I love it but it can create a bit of anxiety if I eat it and then have nothing better to do than focus on its effects.

Duh! Everything creates "a bit of anxiety" if you have "nothing better to than focus on its effects", especially if you are convinced that there are effects. Never underestimate the placebo response.

I once got an extremely low heart rate, along with anxiety and shortnes of breath because I thought I had eaten foxglove and I knew that foxglove poisoning causes bradycardia (I was collecting wild greens in spring). Later I classified the leaves and they were of a completely harmless herb.

Edited by timar, 14 April 2014 - 10:22 AM.

• like x 2

#9 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

You said you drank a liter and a half of cocoa, for all the fuck I know that meant straight cocoa powder with a tiny bit of water added. How much do you add to your drink? I usually do a heaping teaspoon or two. 

Edited by TheFountain, 14 April 2014 - 12:34 PM.

• like x 1

#10 LaViidaLocaa

• 96 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

Don't be afraid of theobromine. Such anecdotes exist for every molecule there is.

Theobromine and cocoa have so many health benefits. Even Jeanne Calment ate almost 2.2 lbs (1 kg) of chocolate a week.

• like x 1

#11 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

Even Jeanne Calment ate almost 2.2 lbs (1 kg) of chocolate a week.

Milk chocolate btw. So if you want to live to the age of 120 make sure to get enough sugar :happy:

#12 0010

• 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

You said you drank a liter and a half of cocoa, for all the fuck I know that meant straight cocoa powder with a tiny bit of water added. How much do you add to your drink? I usually do a heaping teaspoon or two. 

I do 4 teaspoons with 250ml of milk without adding sugar.Tastes like a strong coffee without the disgusting bitterness.I became hooked when I started with the nesquik brand cacao powder but switched to plain bulk organic cacao that has been made using different processing methods, saving every bit of precious flavonoids. And why did I get downvoted, theobromine is a diuretic,adding the fact that I drink 3 liters of water a day because I'm supplementing myself with creatine. What kind of a fucking retarded question is ''What do you mean you 'drink' it? Do you make hot cocoa from pure cocoa powder? '' no shit, son,oh wait,I mix it with my urine and horse shit from the nearby zoo... You know theres a saying - 'It's easier to punch someone in the face as opposed to making a friend'. 

• dislike x 6
  • like x 1

#13 LaViidaLocaa

• 96 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

Wow, and then they say theobromine gives you a calming and happy feeling..

#14 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:56 AM

Stimulants don't agree with everyone, especially in excess.  

• like x 1

#15 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

Stimulants don't agree with everyone, especially in excess.  

The question is, what is excess? 

#16 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:48 AM

I varies from person to person.  I don't believe there is a concern with "theobromine poisoning."  A half bar a day would be too much for me but not enough for Jean Calment.  Some people are already wired to the point that more stimulation isn't helpful.  Some people's skin disorders get worse from chocolate.  Some have it contribute to a weight problem/food addiction.  Some have it contribute to a tendency to live on sweets/coffee, etc. instead of real food.  In some people it could contribute to osteoporosis, bone spurs, insomnia or tooth decay.  In other people it could be harmless or beneficial.  In some people, it could be the closest thing they can find to love.  That can be either a problem or a solution, depending on the situation.  

Only you can determine what is right for your body.  You do seem pretty wired though.      

Edited by Luminosity, 16 April 2014 - 05:49 AM.

• dislike x 1

#17 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:36 AM

Some have it contribute to a weight problem/food addiction.  Some have it contribute to a tendency to live on sweets/coffee, etc. instead of real food.

Not only food addiction, though. It's not that hard to guess why former epidemiological studies on coffee consumption were heavily counfounded and thus coffee was thought to be unhealthy.

Even though Roberto Benigni and his compatriots always knew better ;)

Edited by timar, 16 April 2014 - 06:56 AM.

• dislike x 1

#18 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:38 PM

You do seem pretty wired though.      

What are you talking about? Aren't we all 'wired' more or less? 

#19 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:05 AM

Some more.

#20 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:11 AM

Based on your posts here and elsewhere, I get the impression that you get stressed out sometimes and that you might want to experiment with taking fewer stimulants.  

Edited by Luminosity, 17 April 2014 - 06:15 AM.

#21 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

Based on your posts here and elsewhere, I get the impression that you get stressed out sometimes and that you might want to experiment with taking fewer stimulants.  

That's why it's a double edged sword. These stimulants which give energy are also stimulants which can cause anxiety. I actually strive for a low stress life. I understand the complete and utter eradication of stress is not possible. 

Some things I have adopted lately to deal with it.

Martial arts training to help attune the nervous system. 

Holy basil tea to help block cortisol when there is too much production and not enough relief. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dark chocolate, 90% cocoa, health, immortality

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users