Becoming a psychopath

psychopaths

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 stolpioni

• 114 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:53 PM

I envy psychopaths. They go through life getting the money, the bunnies, and they can't feel anxiety.

What a great way to live. Not to mention that everybody loves them.

This is an interesting article:

http://www.sociopath...sychopathy.html

Author Kevin Dutton hooked himself up to some kind of machine, stimulated specific parts of the brain

and literally became a psychopath for 30 or so minutes.

If you haven't read his book "The Wisdom of Psychopaths", it's a pretty interesting read.

This is how he describes his onset of TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation):

"It isn't long before I start to notice a fuzzier, more pervasive, more existential difference. Before the experiment, I'd been curious about the time scale: how long it would take me to begin to feel the rush. Now I had the answer: about 10 to 15 minutes. The same amount of time, I guess, that it would take most people to get a buzz out of a beer or a glass of wine.

The effects aren't entirely dissimilar. An easy, airy confidence. A transcendental loosening of inhibition. The inchoate stirrings of a subjective moral swagger: the encroaching, and somehow strangely spiritual, realization that hell, who gives a s---, anyway?"

Anyway. What supplements should one take to mimic the effects in the brain of a psychopath?

For one, they have a lot of theta-waves. Although when I meditate with theta waves, I usually become

depressed.

Edited by stolpioni, 14 April 2014 - 07:56 PM.

• Enjoying the show x 5
  • dislike x 3
  • like x 2
  • Well Written x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2 EncyclopediaBrown

• 44 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

Instead of not caring you could go the harder route and reach understanding. Psychopathy is a dysfunction of the brain.

• like x 11
  • dislike x 2
  • Agree x 2
  • Disagree x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 stolpioni

• Topic Starter
  • 114 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

Instead of not caring you could go the harder route and reach understanding. Psychopathy is a dysfunction of the brain.

I already have understanding. My body still creates anxiety however. It's a physical thing, not a mental thing for me.

• Agree x 2
  • like x 1

#4 goodman

• 171 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

coke
  • like x 3
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 2
  • Agree x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#5 Rior

• 279 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:59 PM

coke

lol.

Seeking psychopathy isn't what you should desire. Psychopathy also tends to include an innate inability to feel empathy and compassion. While you might be successful, your life becomes exclusively about you and only you--and you likely won't be *happy.* 

What you seek is release from your anxiety. You desire increased functioning within your prefrontal lobes and posterior cingulate cortex, while reduced connectivity within your anterior cingulate cortex and other areas of the brain more heavily associated with what's known as the Default Mode Network. Constant and persistent meditation has been shown to dramatically reduce activity among the Default Mode Network and increased functionality within the areas of your brain associated with executive functioning. I've got a lot more to say on this topic, but have a genetics exam I need to be studying for. I'll give you more info once the exam is finished.

• dislike x 2
  • like x 2

#6 FW900

• 341 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

EEG ('Brain Waves') is not the best measure for determining any psychological trait. They simply are easily measured, which is why they are mentioned in the book you are reading. The production of theta waves while you meditate should not cause enough of a difference for you to become even remotely a psychopath. If you are trying to become a psychopath, I suggest you abandon the use of EEG bands/waves as a gauge to having psychopathy.

• like x 1

#7 YOLF

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:40 AM

What you know about sociopaths isn't true... didn't we go over this?

#8 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:29 AM

coke

Coke makes actually more anxious on the longterm.

In the case this is even possible to become, ask You self for what price You want to be Fearless ?

for the price of IQ impairment or as mentioned for the price of beeing emotionless and depressive ?

#9 username

• 176 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

If you think that psychopaths are happy, you're naive. The brain regions that are responsible for empathy are also responsible for happiness. Show me ONE person with a narcisstic personality disorder who is truly happy. I'm very confident that you won't find one. They also tend to get angry very fast. Why would you wanna be a narcisstic, angry ass? Empathy and compassion are good things to have.

You're looking in the wrong direction. This is not the way to happiness.

Edited by longschi, 15 April 2014 - 08:24 AM.

• Agree x 3
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#10 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

You have issues with anxiety? And you think psychopathy is the answer? What...

This doesn't compute in my mind. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to look in to novel anxiolytic substances?

• like x 4
  • dislike x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Agree x 1

#11 YOLF

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

I already have understanding. My body still creates anxiety however. It's a physical thing, not a mental thing for me.

If you had understanding you wouldn't want to be a psychopath. You'd understand that it a self destructive trap. You may not have an answer or anything else to replace it with for the sake of hope right now, but when you have understanding you'll be able to distinguish more options. Simply endeavoring to be a psychopath will have consequences you can't understand. 

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#12 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

There are as many unsuccessful psychopaths as there are successful psychopaths, the inability to have empathy or compassion or feel guilty can make it very hard for them to "fit in" to society, unless they have been taught alot of social behavior early on, its likely the inability for empathy would make it hard for them to learn these skills later in life.

Psychopathy or sociopathy is a spectrum anyways, most people especially in today's self obsessed world is a psychopath or sociopath to an extent, you can even argue its in our nature to have those tendencies, and advantageous to a certain extent. Narcissism isn't psychopathy or sociopathy either, but probably a very mild form or just personal beliefs/nurture.

True its easy to think of success being extremely psychopathic like, but thats far from the truth - successful people are more likely to be normal and well adjusted people who have people who they trust and trust them like family - there is a reason why there is a great deal of nepotism and incestuous circle jerk business relationship in the top 1%. Similiar to the way how the mafia works, or how a lot of great companies have a cult like vibe to them. Narcissism might be useful to be opinionated, be protective and have vision, but I would argue that in most cases being psychopathical is probably not very useful - unless you are a finance broker, snake oil salesman types. Some jobs where low emotional attachment is advantageous like being a surgeon might be good.

I think what you are trying to say you want, is to be able to feel less for others, thus able to do things more for yourself rather than genuinely being unable to feel any empathy, guilty or compassion which is a horrible place to be.

I don't necessarily think narcissistic people or psychopathic people are unhappy because all they think of is themselves, if its mild in many cases these people are happier, because they really don't give a s***  about what others think, plus they would often use the stuff they steal from others to improve their own lives, however I would say if somebody is focused solely on themselves they would likely not contribute much to others and society which is a huge sin in my book.

As I believe we make money and stuff so ultimately we can give and make the world a better place, though thats my own personal belief and judgement.

Edited by Major Legend, 15 April 2014 - 06:34 PM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • Well Written x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#13 amara bin

• 28 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

Ahhh psicopathy!

So, few years ago a quiet genius from NYC (Jeffrey Young) came out with a thing called "schema therapy" (there are other versions but i think the guy is a serious genius and i owe him a lot).

That starts from the assumption that in our early years we are poorly equipped to deal with crappiness of life.

Basically our main intellectual equipment is the amygdala (amy). Our neural connections between the sympathetic system and the prefrontal cortex are just start growing up....so in presence of drama (experiences that our amygdala is evolutionally trained to consider as life threatening) amy "hijacks the system" in order to self defend itself.

And builds a certain "model" of reality that is going to stay with us for many years to come (aka...the way you are screwed up).

This happens because while the prefrontal cortex takes many years to develop the amygdala builds up in the early phases of life and then substantially remains the same (well...i'm working on it).

On top of that there are 2 ways our thoughts emerges from our brain: a lower way and a higher way, subconscious and conscious. The first is faster. And as a way to bend and influence the higher way, slower, before it even forms, so when it does we come out with prefabricated judgments, fears and so on. Guess where the lower forms.

The secondary function of the amygdala is not just deal with crap in a split second. But deal with it in the long run based on that initial split second reaction: in abuse we get abused and maybe at the moment we reacting in very funky ways like...thinking to live a sort of dream experience... but also we need the people that is abusing us, so the amygdala also defines that way, this is the way it builds our fucked up model of reality in which we may stay entrapped forever.

This model is developed around a number of "maladaptive" schema in response to these \(often reiterated) experiences (i was referencing abuse, but also betrayal, being emotionally neglected, abandoned, feel you can't face reality alone, shame, etc http://www.schematherapy.com/id73.htm ).

Reaction to these schemas are loosely built upon  a "fight (overcompensation), flight (just hide, stay away and decide you can't do anything about) or freeze(just stay there and accept the crap)" model.

Basically if you have been abused you might decide that that was good, that that is inevitable so just live with it or that you can't do anything beside stay away from it. None is a real response though.

You know when sometimes you realize that you keep having the same relationship with the same people and feeling like crap about it?  Or you keep being an ass with others ?

This stuff normally develops in "normal" everyday neurotic behaviors. But they can become real behavioral disorders (narcissism, borderline,etc).

Psychopathy.

Although i had my share of crap (that in some ways i passed along in my hereditary line mostly in terms of fear) i haven't experienced what this incredible lack of empathy could be, nor the fragmented and extremely schizophrenic experiencing of reality it may bring with it.

It probably offspring from some original level of very intense violence and the acceptance of it.

Exposure to violence, abandonment often physically reflects into incapability to see reality in a organized way, lack of empathy, even permanent disorders in memory formation, exaggerate tendency to paranoia and anxiety. 

I read of extremely narcissistic people becoming "geniuses" at something also in order to get a chance to humiliate other people and somehow "revive" an experience they learned to accept.

My response has been(is):

1) Mindful meditation : when you have those anxiety attack instead of get away from it...dwell in it. Stop there, live it and find what there is behind. Be aware of it, try to remember when it was the first time. Every time there is an emotional response over the lines there is something about you you should find out about. There are techniques to fight against it.

Maybe find a way to give back that kiddo you grew away from the respect and the space he deserves.

2) Neuronal reprogramming: fear extinction while you rebuild yourself in a different direction (thanks God i'm still capable to express some BDNF).

Work on your neurotransmissive balance, put yourself in control. 

Psychopaths are not loved: are the fucked up response of fucked up open questions some other people has.

(sorry i know it sounded a little bit of a lecture, i still have some rage on me).

Peace, love and find yourself :)

• Informative x 3
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#14 Jbac

• 252 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

Try smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol, it really helps bring out the "bad guy" attitude.
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 1

#15 Babychris

• 466 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

Life on earth is to be in harmony with (God or any entity) and more vastly with nature and not in a restrictive way, smoke a blunt and ask yourself do I really want to be a psychopath and don't care about my mother, sister, daughter ? How could I walk in the street, and see a women getting beat and rapped by 5 guys, and being contemplating the scene ? No that's not life! Empathy is on top and the best thing ever, I wish I could have infinite empathy and never be angry, frustration, anxiety, short-tempering are much more related to sociopathy that is to Mother Theresa...

Edited by Babychris, 16 April 2014 - 09:57 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • like x 1

#16 Jbac

• 252 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

^don't be a psychopath, be Batman
  • like x 2
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#17 FW900

• 341 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:32 AM

Try smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol, it really helps bring out the "bad guy" attitude.

Not true, there are plenty of people I know who drink heavily and smoke cigarettes who are neverous trainwrecks without alcohol; definitely not the trait of a sociopath. I have never viewed people like this as "bad guys" either let alone sociopaths, I have always seen them more as reckless people rather than bad guys.

• Ill informed x 1

#18 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:04 AM

As M.E. Thomas says of her fellow sociopaths, we are your neighbors, co-workers, and quite possibly the people closest to you: lovers, family, friends. Our risk-seeking behavior and general fearlessness are thrilling, our glibness and charm alluring. Our often quick wit and outside-the-box thinking make us appear intelligent—even brilliant. We climb the corporate ladder faster than the rest, and appear to have limitless self-confidence.  Who are we? We are highly successful, non-criminal sociopaths and we comprise 4% of the American population (that’s 1 in 25 people!). 

Confessions of a Sociopath takes readers on a journey into the mind of a sociopath, revealing what makes the tick and what that ....

And no, if you are wanting to be a sociopath you probably are not one nor can you become one.  If you are one, you may already know it, and certainly know something is different about yourself comared to "empaths".  According to the author the brains of sociopaths are physiologically different,and may be so from birth or earlier.  The book is worth a read.  The author maintains or maintained a website, sociopathworld. 

#19 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:46 AM

As M.E. Thomas says of her fellow sociopaths, we are your neighbors, co-workers, and quite possibly the people closest to you: lovers, family, friends. Our risk-seeking behavior and general fearlessness are thrilling, our glibness and charm alluring. Our often quick wit and outside-the-box thinking make us appear intelligent—even brilliant. We climb the corporate ladder faster than the rest, and appear to have limitless self-confidence.  Who are we? We are highly successful, non-criminal sociopaths and we comprise 4% of the American population (that’s 1 in 25 people!). 

Confessions of a Sociopath takes readers on a journey into the mind of a sociopath, revealing what makes the tick and what that ....

And no, if you are wanting to be a sociopath you probably are not one nor can you become one.  If you are one, you may already know it, and certainly know something is different about yourself comared to "empaths".  According to the author the brains of sociopaths are physiologically different,and may be so from birth or earlier.  The book is worth a read.  The author maintains or maintained a website, sociopathworld. 

A complete shot in the dark - but reading that, sociopaths almost sounds like kids who never grow out of youth, or stay in youth indefinetely. Risk-seeking behaviour, general fearlessness, glibness and charm are often traits of people before the age of 25, when the brain starts developing concious control. I think sociopath is too generalised - under those attributes I would consider myself partially a sociopath. Psychopathy on the other hand seems more classifiable by the total lack of guilty or empathy (or at least the ability to switch it off completely at will), the need to break rules to feel something. I certainly fit into that category to an extent, as I still feel and think like a teenager even though I am not anymore. Other creative people I work with in the film television have the same issue, they are like 50 year old adults but obsessed with sleeping with young chicks, doing drugs, playing music and just having a laugh.

My whole life people have commented on my ability to not care about other people, switch off when neccesarry, my charm, people calling me intelligent and well spoken (yet I know inside I am not really - just know how to make it sound so in public), when I believe the final result is worth fighting for, I will often toss people aside to achieve my singular vision. If I want to look like I care, I can switch that on and tune into other peoples emotions and even cry with them, but if so I wish so I could just switch that off. Some people have said to me they cannot believe somebody who is so passionate can be so cold at the same time, but its because I am self centered and opinionated (less so now with age) - thats why I am passionate. It is not beyond me to hurt other people, if I believe that the end goal will be of benefit to all. When I was young I got people to invest in my film projects, work for free, get food and equipment for free, and I didn't fuck anyone over, everyone did it because they were passionate and believed in the project. I was quick to turn on those who was causing more damage than benefit - I guess you could say this is how you build a cult. 

Most humans are sheep, and if you transcend the boundaries of social conventions then you could do things that other people may consider manipulative or sociopathic, and if you are doing it for your own self gain and nothing more than you are in the bad books, but it can definitely be used for good, as many great progenitors of industry have done time and time again, and certainly we need this kind of directed willpower in a field like nootropics and longevity and general human enhancement. Science has become too safe, too much about political academia, and not about achieving a big collaborate vision - this is why we have stagnated technologically. (well this is a multi-tired problem, tied with taxation politics, broad economics of globalisation, rentier economics. and many more)

You read my description above, and it would sound like I am a sociopath, but then it could just be I am really ambitious + the fact is I've met hundreds of industry leaders, wolf of wall street types, pick up artists, bosses with far far worse set of personality traits than me, so my thinking is that sociopathy is just this label where people like to give themselves to compensate for some insecurities and its really not the kind of neuro-deficit psychopathy is, The fact is anyone can become a sociopath - it just takes a set of beliefs, some moral misguidance maybe. Alot of normal people can be considered sociopaths, if their goals align with somehow having to manipulate how others think - and having worked in the media industry for 10 years, it becomes a sickening necessity. 

So my point is sociopathy often becomes an means to an end, or sometimes the means become the end. but its certainly not this 100% born cognitive dysfunction. I am autistic and if i can gain some sociopathic traits or at least used to have, anyone can.

Until the science proves me wrong of course! ^^

Edited by Major Legend, 17 April 2014 - 04:47 AM.

#20 FW900

• 341 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:12 AM

I think sociopath is too generalised - under those attributes I would consider myself partially a sociopath. Psychopathy on the other hand seems more classifiable by the total lack of guilty or empathy (or at least the ability to switch it off completely at

Major Legend, first of all, I realize you are writing your own thoughts on the distinction between so please understand I am not trying to correct you. However, I should point out for a lack of confusion in the thread: Psychopathy/sociopathy are the same thing (at least by definition/use in medical literature). Psychopathy is the more commonly used term in modern times.

There are many people however, who are trying to clear the "interchangeability" of the two terms up. http://www.psycholog...-sociopathy.pdf

#21 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

I think sociopath is too generalised - under those attributes I would consider myself partially a sociopath. Psychopathy on the other hand seems more classifiable by the total lack of guilty or empathy (or at least the ability to switch it off completely at

Major Legend, first of all, I realize you are writing your own thoughts on the distinction between so please understand I am not trying to correct you. However, I should point out for a lack of confusion in the thread: Psychopathy/sociopathy are the same thing (at least by definition/use in medical literature). Psychopathy is the more commonly used term in modern times.

There are many people however, who are trying to clear the "interchangeability" of the two terms up. http://www.psycholog...-sociopathy.pdf

Ah sorry - My botch up. If so, by the modern day scientific definition, then I meant on the spectrum of sociopathy/psychopathy, people who lean towards that spectrum are not uncommon at all, its when they lean far past a certain threshold on that spectrum that those people are be truly deemed/defined as sociopaths or psychopaths. Which is what psychopathy researcher James Fallon said in terms of how to test whether one is a true psychopath or not, though he does not mention sociopaths in his articles. Which is why I considered sociopaths to be of different definition.

As I partake in the popular mainstream view that sociopathy means manipulation of people to achieve certain self beneficial goals rather than psychopathy - being unable to experience guilt or a neurotypical degree of empathy. Therefore under the popular mainstream view - alot of people would be considered sociopathic to an extent, but far less people psychopathic.

Of course science prevails, and if its identified to be the same thing via FMRI scans than the above viewpoint is simply wrong.

Edited by Major Legend, 17 April 2014 - 06:25 AM.

#22 Jbac

• 252 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

A complete shot in the dark - but reading that, sociopaths almost sounds like kids who never grow out of youth, or stay in youth indefinetely. Risk-seeking behaviour, general fearlessness, glibness and charm are often traits of people before the age of 25, when the brain starts developing concious control. I think sociopath is too generalised - under those attributes I would consider myself partially a sociopath. Psychopathy on the other hand seems more classifiable by the total lack of guilty or empathy (or at least the ability to switch it off completely at will), the need to break rules to feel something. I certainly fit into that category to an extent, as I still feel and think like a teenager even though I am not anymore. Other creative people I work with in the film television have the same issue, they are like 50 year old adults but obsessed with sleeping with young chicks, doing drugs, playing music and just having a laugh.

My whole life people have commented on my ability to not care about other people, switch off when neccesarry, my charm, people calling me intelligent and well spoken (yet I know inside I am not really - just know how to make it sound so in public), when I believe the final result is worth fighting for, I will often toss people aside to achieve my singular vision. If I want to look like I care, I can switch that on and tune into other peoples emotions and even cry with them, but if so I wish so I could just switch that off. Some people have said to me they cannot believe somebody who is so passionate can be so cold at the same time, but its because I am self centered and opinionated (less so now with age) - thats why I am passionate. It is not beyond me to hurt other people, if I believe that the end goal will be of benefit to all. When I was young I got people to invest in my film projects, work for free, get food and equipment for free, and I didn't fuck anyone over, everyone did it because they were passionate and believed in the project. I was quick to turn on those who was causing more damage than benefit - I guess you could say this is how you build a cult. 

Most humans are sheep, and if you transcend the boundaries of social conventions then you could do things that other people may consider manipulative or sociopathic, and if you are doing it for your own self gain and nothing more than you are in the bad books, but it can definitely be used for good, as many great progenitors of industry have done time and time again, and certainly we need this kind of directed willpower in a field like nootropics and longevity and general human enhancement. Science has become too safe, too much about political academia, and not about achieving a big collaborate vision - this is why we have stagnated technologically. (well this is a multi-tired problem, tied with taxation politics, broad economics of globalisation, rentier economics. and many more)

You read my description above, and it would sound like I am a sociopath, but then it could just be I am really ambitious + the fact is I've met hundreds of industry leaders, wolf of wall street types, pick up artists, bosses with far far worse set of personality traits than me, so my thinking is that sociopathy is just this label where people like to give themselves to compensate for some insecurities and its really not the kind of neuro-deficit psychopathy is, The fact is anyone can become a sociopath - it just takes a set of beliefs, some moral misguidance maybe. Alot of normal people can be considered sociopaths, if their goals align with somehow having to manipulate how others think - and having worked in the media industry for 10 years, it becomes a sickening necessity. 

So my point is sociopathy often becomes an means to an end, or sometimes the means become the end. but its certainly not this 100% born cognitive dysfunction. I am autistic and if i can gain some sociopathic traits or at least used to have, anyone can.

Until the science proves me wrong of course! ^^

how do we know you're not trying to manipulate the way we think right now? Now that you've admitted to dabbling in sociopathy I don't think I can trust you anymore. Sociopaths need to be on a Social Offender List so I can know who they are and keep them away from my children
  • like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#23 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:31 AM

Selegiline will heighten any sociopathic tendencies a person might have. 

I actually knew what it felt to be a sociopath for a little bit. I was in a very bad state after not sleeping well for three nights. At the time I felt I knew what it was like to be a sociopath. I was emotionally detached from all my reasoning. I felt at the time that all that mattered was my own self preservation. It was a very highish feeling. Like I only mattered, nothing else. 

#24 VERITAS INCORRUPTUS

• 257 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

The sociopath would never reply to this question with anything truly constructive, but only within the intent to garner some gain for his own devices and desires.  Without a conscience and empathy there is a boundless reserve of self-serving intention in no way 'compromised' by any concern at all for how it effects others.  To the contrary, the sociopath's most singular intent generally derives around the game of manipulation for the purposes of self-serving amusement and securing personal gain.  

Sociopaths may lack fear and empathy, but it is not seemingly any greater disposition to contentedness/happiness; perhaps to the contrary, as the games they need to win will tend to disintegrate by the integral gross dysfunction of it all.  

One thing is a certainty, within a view of where the majority of sociopaths (or all past a certain point on the spectrum fall) are within society is that sociopaths are the corrupt, the liars, the cheats, the gross opportunists, the blatant criminals; those with a tendency to what we may actually call evil or even clearly label as such.  

As they seek power, control, and manipulation without regard for that which falls outside their own personal interest, guess what positions they occupy for those that have the capacity to move to higher strata of society; look at the gross corruption and dysfunction that exists in government/politics and big corporate business; that which is at the seat of power within our world.  

Power corrupts, absolute power, absolutely; though those who seek it and are most attracted to it are by and large already the corrupt (at the core itself), the sociopaths.  Their ways create a means toward this dominance and they form corrupted sociopathic 'mega-entities'.

One who perhaps can bear recognition to all this and still desire to be a sociopath simply for one's own personal 'ease of existence' perhaps is either sadly and devastating emotionally crippled or has some true sociopathic tendencies. From all points, it would appear the OP is obviously the former.   Myself being an extremely empathy-oriented individual, it is saddening to know that one would have to think in such extremes to escape one's pain and discomfort with life.  Sociopathy however is not the answer, no quick fix, that seems so understandably desired for a life filled with discomfort and pain.  

Firstly, one is not capable of transforming the inner mind to nearly that degree.  Secondly, if one is already empath-oriented, could that individual really desire to be part of the problem - the corrupt, the destructive, the hurtful; as opposed to move to being part of the solution -  to make some contribution of meaning to the betterment of those they hold close, as well as potentially in broader ways.

Life is truly richest and can be that which provides the greatest comfort for those so blessed to be able to give, to love.  Again, look at the extreme within the example of Mother Theresa.  Obviously for most it is a path that is not without pain, but that which has worth generally has some price.  In the end the sociopath plays a constant game devoid of any real greater meaning than to maintain some foundation for their self-interested positioning; there is no higher purpose.  In some manner indeed this may alleviate some forms of pain and suffering, but it as well seems to be such that as well is not without a price and pitfalls.

Indeed those with intense conditions of fear/anxiety and anhedonic tendencies have a rough lot, but there is no escape through some wormhole into sociopathy.  Hopefully the OP not only detremines this is a misguided pursuit with no worth, but further that it indeed is counter to the sensibilities of being a better and more evolved person.  Pull true self-esteem and strength from a movement toward becoming a superior person in the manner in which you can give to and care for others, not in how you can take from and perhaps dominate.  When we can embrace a greater other-centeredness we become a truly superior and more enlightened person.  That is one truly potent path with potential for conquering inner fears, perceived weakness.

Ramble out...and if anyone needs some help with anything, I'll do my best to help where I can ;)

Edited by VERITAS INCORRUPTUS, 18 April 2014 - 04:08 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • Informative x 1

#25 Jbac

• 252 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

^terrible advice, in this world you gotta take what you want and give nothing back... except bullets (⌐■_■)
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#26 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

If you have anxiety problems and want to be "emotionally flat", I would suggest looking into beta-blockers.  I don't think it will give you the sort of pathological behaviors you see in psychopaths (otherwise a rather noticeable percentage of the US population would be psychopaths).  However, uncontrollable anxiety (as a feature of adrenal fatigue/overactive HPA axis) could be interrupted via beta-blockers.

HPA AXIS

Also, I would think the goals of this community are non-psychopathic in nature.  I don't think the discussion here is for higher endurance, longer lifespan, better iq -- all for the purposes of having more time/energy/ideas to murder other people or engage in other behaviors that violate societal norms.

Edited by prophets, 18 April 2014 - 08:38 PM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#27 Jeff McJackoff

• 25 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:41 PM

coke

lol.

Seeking psychopathy isn't what you should desire. Psychopathy also tends to include an innate inability to feel empathy and compassion. While you might be successful, your life becomes exclusively about you and only you--and you likely won't be *happy.* 

What you seek is release from your anxiety. You desire increased functioning within your prefrontal lobes and posterior cingulate cortex, while reduced connectivity within your anterior cingulate cortex and other areas of the brain more heavily associated with what's known as the Default Mode Network. Constant and persistent meditation has been shown to dramatically reduce activity among the Default Mode Network and increased functionality within the areas of your brain associated with executive functioning. I've got a lot more to say on this topic, but have a genetics exam I need to be studying for. I'll give you more info once the exam is finished.

Well, psychopaths are indeed very sad people. But , we must try to see it from the psychopaths point of view and remember that they are in some way 'human beings'...

anyway, good old Stimulants are great for empathy...

like, really good.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 2
  • Informative x 1

#28 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 04:46 PM

Psychopathy is a personality disorder, it's something you choose to become, or choose to retain at the least - it's a personna created not just as a result of compensatory or narcissistic adaptation, but rather , it's a natural instinct and chosen desire to retain a disregard for human lives or feelings, and laws - it simply means that you care only about select things and if anyone gets in your way they are removed, regardless of their feelings. 

There is no chemical basis or cause of psychopathy, it is an aura you choose to embrace, even if chemically you are amygdaloid suppressed, you may or may not be able to do anything about this, even oxytocin treatments, which would be hypothesized psychopathic personna's, actually make some psychopaths more aggressive, showing that it truly is in the mind on another level, besides, psychopaths have a wicked will, if they don't want to change, they won't change..it doesn't matter how much someone tries to convince them, they simply choose not to be shaken .

It's like Michael Cain said,

Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money, they can't be bought, bullied, or negotiated with, some men just want to watch the world burn.

And indeed, one way or another, whether just lying their way into higher corporations, or whether making up lies to hurt others, or whether going 360 degrees and burning a city down - psychopaths engage in whatever, whenever, without inhibition, they may think about it, but it doesn't phase them , and they are naturals at going above and beyond....

OP , there is really no benefit to being todays definition of a psychopath, you can be disinhibited and fearless without being a psychopath, think like this, would you rather be the "light" equivalent to the psychopath; a vigilante, knight, a noble, someone who regards truth and acts to inform with fearlessness, or someone who is more or less holding very few truths to their heart, and having no long-term goals except money and power.....it's more difficult to go against the grain of society and this is steadily becoming a psychopathic grain, so to be one against the rising psychopathy would be a more noble accomplishment, worth far more merit ....than being without values.

Psychopaths usually have a variable gene set, usually either have adrenal fatigue or overactive adrenals, typically have more adrenaline on their strong days, but deficient levels of noradrenaline, which is weird, because usually those two are hand in hand, because of the placement of noradrenaline, which happens to be more present in the frontal cortex and amygdala than the pure adrenaline, without the nor, this may be a reason why psychopaths tend to rely heavily on cocaine and meth to fuel their career, rage or w/e they do with themselves....their dopamine levels, if I remember correctly, are not high on average, but their reuptake sites are higher so their dopamine gets used up very quickly, so they are constantly seeking a rush, and usually cling to dopamine reuptake inhibitors such as cocaine, or ritalin, or things like meth that have similar effects.....because the DAT protein is higher in psychopaths, and I believe their dopamine auto receptors are also genetically dysfunctional, so they get more of a rush from stimulants than your average bear.....

They also typically have altered endorphin concentrations in the brain, which is also responsible for blunted emotions, and many of these type may have deficient levels of other endogenous opiates, like dynorphin and enkephalin, but more beta-endorphin and nociceptin....
Since these play a role in central nervous system, and the endorphins blunt norepinephrine release, but not so much adrenaline, this is the most plausible hypothesis in terms of those areas.......

But the brain and grey matter especially is  so complex, you can't mimic psychopathy under normal circumstances, because we create alot of the chemical conditions by choosing to think a certain a way......and I don't believe that many psychopaths are healthy, some of them are, but some are not...just like some are successful, and can blend in, and some can't....

Edited by Area-1255, 27 December 2014 - 04:47 PM.

• like x 1

#29 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:17 PM

I think your garden variety typo of sociopath can be bought with Money.
It must be an even rarer kind of animal that "just wants to See the world burn" (Whatever that even means)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#30 Jeff McJackoff

• 25 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:27 PM

Psychopathy is a personality disorder, it's something you choose to become, or choose to retain at the least - it's a personna created not just as a result of compensatory or narcissistic adaptation, but rather , it's a natural instinct and chosen desire to retain a disregard for human lives or feelings, and laws - it simply means that you care only about select things and if anyone gets in your way they are removed, regardless of their feelings. 

There is no chemical basis or cause of psychopathy, it is an aura you choose to embrace, even if chemically you are amygdaloid suppressed, you may or may not be able to do anything about this, even oxytocin treatments, which would be hypothesized psychopathic personna's, actually make some psychopaths more aggressive, showing that it truly is in the mind on another level, besides, psychopaths have a wicked will, if they don't want to change, they won't change..it doesn't matter how much someone tries to convince them, they simply choose not to be shaken .

It's like Michael Cain said,

Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money, they can't be bought, bullied, or negotiated with, some men just want to watch the world burn.

And indeed, one way or another, whether just lying their way into higher corporations, or whether making up lies to hurt others, or whether going 360 degrees and burning a city down - psychopaths engage in whatever, whenever, without inhibition, they may think about it, but it doesn't phase them , and they are naturals at going above and beyond....

OP , there is really no benefit to being todays definition of a psychopath, you can be disinhibited and fearless without being a psychopath, think like this, would you rather be the "light" equivalent to the psychopath; a vigilante, knight, a noble, someone who regards truth and acts to inform with fearlessness, or someone who is more or less holding very few truths to their heart, and having no long-term goals except money and power.....it's more difficult to go against the grain of society and this is steadily becoming a psychopathic grain, so to be one against the rising psychopathy would be a more noble accomplishment, worth far more merit ....than being without values.

Psychopaths usually have a variable gene set, usually either have adrenal fatigue or overactive adrenals, typically have more adrenaline on their strong days, but deficient levels of noradrenaline, which is weird, because usually those two are hand in hand, because of the placement of noradrenaline, which happens to be more present in the frontal cortex and amygdala than the pure adrenaline, without the nor, this may be a reason why psychopaths tend to rely heavily on cocaine and meth to fuel their career, rage or w/e they do with themselves....their dopamine levels, if I remember correctly, are not high on average, but their reuptake sites are higher so their dopamine gets used up very quickly, so they are constantly seeking a rush, and usually cling to dopamine reuptake inhibitors such as cocaine, or ritalin, or things like meth that have similar effects.....because the DAT protein is higher in psychopaths, and I believe their dopamine auto receptors are also genetically dysfunctional, so they get more of a rush from stimulants than your average bear.....

They also typically have altered endorphin concentrations in the brain, which is also responsible for blunted emotions, and many of these type may have deficient levels of other endogenous opiates, like dynorphin and enkephalin, but more beta-endorphin and nociceptin....
Since these play a role in central nervous system, and the endorphins blunt norepinephrine release, but not so much adrenaline, this is the most plausible hypothesis in terms of those areas.......

But the brain and grey matter especially is  so complex, you can't mimic psychopathy under normal circumstances, because we create alot of the chemical conditions by choosing to think a certain a way......and I don't believe that many psychopaths are healthy, some of them are, but some are not...just like some are successful, and can blend in, and some can't....

You got it wrong with the dopamine reuptake man...

its that psychopaths get more dopamine with evil stuff or some stuff like that.

as in, they get a rush from seeing someone in pain,etc.

god dam psychos, good for nothing!

• Unfriendly x 1
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: psychopaths

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users