- - - - -

Please help me create a stack for my mom's health issues

diabetes cholesterol urinary infection blood pressure bladder stomach pain

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

Please help me create a stack for my mom, if I look into the www I get so :wacko:  of all the things that are recommended (they all claim their supps/vitamins/herbs/nutrition cures  :dry: ) and don't know anymore what will help for which condition and which supplements/herbs/vitamins will create an interaction with all the medication she is taking.

First of all my goal is to create a more natural drug regimen so she can lower her medication intake. (My mom rely's on the prescriptions doctors give, unfortunately doctors have no experience/clues about the miracle's of supps etc.)

After I "changed" her medication I will look into her nutrition, so nutrition advise is welcome too.

The issue that debilitates her the most at the moment is a bloated stomach, her bowel movement has kinda stopped working and creates constipation for many weeks now. She was taking prescribed "laxative" powders (it collects water to make her intestine work better) for years, unfortunately, it has stopped working, now she's taking prescribed laxative syrup for some weeks which also does not work for whatever unknown condition she has with her stomach/intestines.

• Stomach aches / Omeprazol -  20mg 1 pill daily

• Blood pressure / Atenolol - 25mg 1 pill daily

• Hernia / Tramadol - 50mg 1 pill a day or when needed

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#2 YOLF

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

There is a free 6 month membership to LEF floating around on facebook. I think getting her that would be a great start.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

There is a free 6 month membership to LEF floating around on facebook. I think getting her that would be a great start.

LEF = Life Extension Foundation I assume? Can't find the free membership on Facebook or on the internet, do you have link? Found some coupons where you buy a "6 months free membership" by ordering a supplements from LEF. 

You know, I'm actually familiar with ALCOR, 10 years ago when I became schizo I wanted a euthanasia (Dutch government allows it), frozen in and wake-up whenever ALCOR (back then they said 100 years) had found a way to wake me up again and future science would cure me. It was a great plan back then after seeing my whole future/life slip out of my hands, though, couldn't do it, I had no $100.000 laying around, if I had I would've been crazy/smart (whatever suits this anecdote) enough to really do it. 

Now however, it's just a scary idea to wake up in a unfamiliar "world", who knows, maybe we (Cryonics) become lab-rats (or whatever), what I'm trying to say, over 100 years they're "superhumans" compared to us.

Though, let's be realistic, do you really think humanity is able to survive another 100 years without fucking up humanity (for example: one nuclear war is enough to extinct humanity or one little stupid unstoppable asteroid can wipe us out like dinosaurs etc. etc.) and their only "green" planet? I mean, fairy tale religions are still LARGELY favored above science/education, science just gets a really small margin of funds compared to unnecessary bullshit politicians/humans spend money on.

Also, it takes hundreds, thousand even ten-thousands and more years for humanity to evolve, with current world-wide events/politics/population etc. I don't think we (our offsprings and/or their next generation) will be that lucky. I'm not a doomsday thinker, just pessimistic about where humanity is going, if I look globally without fantasizing (for example: we could maybe cure our-self from all incurable diseases, wake-up in a bright future with ALCOR and/or cure our planet and/or if possible inhabit other planets) we're still animals/beasts that try to survive for their own good and the important decisions makers (politicians/bankers/company's with a crucial negative influential lobby etc.) to accomplish a bright future are creating for the rest of us our own unfortunate faith, extinction instead of extension.  

By the way, if LEF also treated Schizo's (effectively) I would have been happy to buy a membership, I'll stick to the free one, if it's still available.

Can we get back on my helping my mom, if I start getting philosophical this topic is doomed  :-D

Edited by YoungSchizo, 15 April 2014 - 11:27 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:08 PM

YS, have you made any progress with treatments for your mom?  She might be dysbiotic- some probiotics would probably be a good idea.  It's possible that the omeprazole is contributing to the problem.  Atenolol wouldn't be my first choice for hypertension.  She should probably be on an ARB.

Most if not all of her ailments are ultimately diet related.  What's her diet like?  Does she exercise?  Getting the GI problems sorted out is the first order of business, but in the long run, diet and exercise are going to be critical.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#5 Zbdecker

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

Hey Young Schizo. I would not say I am expert on your specific subject(s), nor a doctor, but I know a HUGE amount about generally what your trying to do. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar, ADHD, etc since 13. I have been transitioning onto natural treatments for the last 3.5 years and am 22 now and have almost completely transitioned over. Just to be clear though...I think you should include along with the dietary supplements dietary changes. Food supplements work great with the right foods and a lot of other things in general.

I am going to warn you right now about a couple things and ask a few questions to start.

Are you prepared to do the following?

-Spend money on a lot of different supplements? Supplements aren't always cheap and though there are ways to cheapen it...it will cost money.

-Spend a good chunk of time on this? You pretty much have to be willing to educate yourself on this to do it right.

-Potentially spend up-to 1-2 years really refining and doing things properly on the medicinal aspect....it may take longer or shorter depending on your mothers case. I know that sound insane but you CANNOT throw a person on a bunch of different medicines spontaneously without taking time to understand what exactly is happening. Awareness is one of your most important playing cards in this game.

-Possibly see a naturopathic or alternative doctor? I know of ways to find them and when your in a pinch they can be extremely useful for this type of thing. I understand they usually don't see people for cheap but here's what I can say....if you find one that will charge something somewhat affordable...you can do a lot of research and development of your knowledge base on your own. Then present it to the doctor and not have to spend money and time in the office just doing basic stuff you could of come up with yourself.

-I must be honest, dealing with your mothers health issues medicinally is not an easy thing to do. If you think your not cut out for this and you really have reason to doubt yourself...find another way. I'm not telling you not to do it but be aware that there is risk in treating an older persons medical issues especially when your not an actual doctor.

On a side note I can explain to you how to find reliable sources on medicine via the internet as theres ALOT of different places to go. Are those all of her medical issues listed above? 

-Zach

Edited by Zbdecker, 24 May 2014 - 03:00 PM.

• like x 1

#6 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

YS, have you made any progress with treatments for your mom?  She might be dysbiotic- some probiotics would probably be a good idea.  It's possible that the omeprazole is contributing to the problem.  Atenolol wouldn't be my first choice for hypertension.  She should probably be on an ARB.

Most if not all of her ailments are ultimately diet related.  What's her diet like?  Does she exercise?  Getting the GI problems sorted out is the first order of business, but in the long run, diet and exercise are going to be critical.

Hey Young Schizo. I would not say I am expert on your specific subject(s), nor a doctor, but I know a HUGE amount about generally what your trying to do. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar, ADHD, etc since 13. I have been transitioning onto natural treatments for the last 3.5 years and am 22 now and have almost completely transitioned over. Just to be clear though...I think you should include along with the dietary supplements dietary changes. Food supplements work great with the right foods and a lot of other things in general.

I am going to warn you right now about a couple things and ask a few questions to start.

Are you prepared to do the following?

-Spend money on a lot of different supplements? Supplements aren't always cheap and though there are ways to cheapen it...it will cost money.

-Spend a good chunk of time on this? You pretty much have to be willing to educate yourself on this to do it right.

-Potentially spend up-to 1-2 years really refining and doing things properly on the medicinal aspect....it may take longer or shorter depending on your mothers case. I know that sound insane but you CANNOT throw a person on a bunch of different medicines spontaneously without taking time to understand what exactly is happening. Awareness is one of your most important playing cards in this game.

-Possibly see a naturopathic or alternative doctor? I know of ways to find them and when your in a pinch they can be extremely useful for this type of thing. I understand they usually don't see people for cheap but here's what I can say....if you find one that will charge something somewhat affordable...you can do a lot of research and development of your knowledge base on your own. Then present it to the doctor and not have to spend money and time in the office just doing basic stuff you could of come up with yourself.

-I must be honest, dealing with your mothers health issues medicinally is not an easy thing to do. If you think your not cut out for this and you really have reason to doubt yourself...find another way. I'm not telling you not to do it but be aware that there is risk in treating an older persons medical issues especially when your not an actual doctor.

On a side note I can explain to you how to find reliable sources on medicine via the internet as theres ALOT of different places to go. Are those all of her medical issues listed above? 

-Zach

@niner & Zbdecker

You might be right niner, she might very well be dysbiotic. Back when I made this thread I looked up her symptoms and they pretty much match with IBS. I had given her 3 natural over the counter products to buy and try, unfortunately she never bought them, them old people are to cheap, stubborn and credent to believe everything goes away with prescription drugs! Changing her diet completely was my second plan but nevermind if I even can't get her to do the one little first baby step, when she rather rely's on doctors and conventional drugs. Her stomach and intestine will be investigated in the hospital/lab, I won't be surprised if they find "nothing" and advise her to change her lifestyle. (If I lived close to her I would have pushed her and monitor her while making a transition to a more natural treatment.)   

Anyway, thank you guys for the advise/information though!

@Zbdecker

Can you PM me on those reliable medicine sources? It will be handy for my own treatment! 

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#7 mrnootropic

• 180 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

Beta Stack : 

Supplements & Herbs For Cholesterol : 

Fish oil. These supplements may help lower triglyceride levels, thanks to omega-3s they have in them like EPA and DHA. 

Psyllium. Fiber from Psyllium husks helps lower triglycerides, especially for people with type 2 diabetes.

Soy protein supplements. Soy can lower overall cholesterol levels and improve your levels of HDL “good” cholesterol, according to studies. Eating soy protein instead of animal protein (like meat and full-fat dairy) can also help lower LDL "bad" cholesterol and total cholesterol levels.

Coenzyme Q10.  This powerful antioxidant can lower bad LDL cholesterol's ability to stick to the blood vessels of mice. However, scientists say that more research is needed to confirm whether it can work in humans.

CoQ10 also reduces side effects of Statin Drugs..
Garlic. Garlic supplements slightly lowered cholesterol levels in a few studies.

Niacin. This B vitamin can boost HDL “good" cholesterol and lower LDL “bad” cholesterol and triglycerides.

Red yeast rice. This supplement has the same active ingredient found in cholesterol-lowering statin drugs. 

Medicinal herbs & Supplements For Diabetes 

Momordica charantia, also known as bitter melon, has been used extensively in folk medicine as a remedy for diabetes. The blood sugar lowering action of fresh juice or unripe fruit has been established in animal experimental models as well as human clinical trials.

Trigonella foenum graecum
Commonly known as Fenugreek.
It has been used as a remedy for diabetes, particularly in India.[76] The active principle is in the defatted portion
of he seed, which contains the alkaloid gonelline, nicotinic acid and coumarin. Several animal experimental studies confirmed the antidiabetic potential ofT. foeneum graecum.[15?18,77]

Human studies have confirmed the glucose and lipid-lowering test.[78] At least 50% of seeds is fiber and 
may constitute another potential mechanism of Fenugreek's beneficial effect in diabetic patients.[79]
In type 2 diabetes patients, the ingestion of 15 g of powder of Fenugreek seed soaked in water significantly reduced postprandial glucose levels during the glucose tolerance test.[79]

Gymnema sylvestre:
Commonly known as Gurmar, has long been used as a treatment for diabetes. It appeared on the US market several
years ago, known as a ?Sugar blocker.? In a study of type 2 diabetes, 22 patients were given 400 mg Gymnema sylvestre extract daily along with their oral hypoglycemic drugs. All patients demonstrated improved blood sugar control. Twenty one of 22 were able to discontinue oral medication and maintain blood sugar control with the Gymnema extract alone. It was postulated that Gymnema sylvestre enhance the production of endogenous insulin.

Azadirachta indica:
Commonly known as neem. It has been long used as a treatment for diabetes. Aqueous extract of neem leaves significantly decreases blood sugar level and prevents adrenaline as well as glucose-induced hyperglycaemia. Aqueous leaf extract also reduces hyperglycaemia in diabetes and the effect is possibly due to presence of quercetin.] The plant blocks the action of epinephrine on glucose metabolism, thus increasing peripheral glucose utilization. It also increased glucose uptake and glycogen deposition in isolated rat hemi diaphragm.

Chromium
The benefit of added chromium for diabetes has been studied and debated for several years. Several studies report that chromium supplements may improve diabetes control. Chromium is needed to make glucose tolerance factor, which helps insulin improve its action.

Stack Of Supplements & Herbs For Diabetes :

Chronium,

Neem,

Fenugreek,

Bitter Melon, 

Gymnema sylvestre.

Stack Of Supplements & Herbs For Cholesterol :

Fish Oil,

CoQ10,

Garlic,

Niacin,

Psyllium,

Red Yeast Rice,

Soy Protein

Take a read of this Pubmed Report : Alternative therapies useful in the management of diabetes: A systematic review 

Tramadol ?? They mess you up real bad.. 

Infact people use them Recreationally to replace drugs, such as coke or w.e else they do.

Cant she use a less severe Pain reliever than Tramadol ??

Nitrofurinone is classed as a high risk medication in the elderly: https://provider.ghc...acy/elderly.pdf

Common Supplements for UTI : Cranberry,  D Mannose.

You will obviously have to research more on your own, to decide what Stack you need for her. 

Edited by Mr.Nootropic, 30 May 2014 - 12:00 PM.

• like x 1

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

The issue that debilitates her the most at the moment is a bloated stomach, her bowel movement has kinda stopped working and creates constipation for many weeks now. She was taking prescribed "laxative" powders (it collects water to make her intestine work better) for years, unfortunately, it has stopped working, now she's taking prescribed laxative syrup for some weeks which also does not work for whatever unknown condition she has with her stomach/intestines.

Has she increased her Tramadol intake recently?  Constipation is an extremely common side effect of opioids.  If the hernia is amenable to surgical repair, that may be a better option than constant opioid use and all the trouble that entails.  It's possible that she has some degree of addiction to it.

#9 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

Daily exercise should be prescribed as well. 

#10 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the extensive information Mr.Nootropic.

@ niner, Surgery is not an option and she takes Tramadol only when needed. When she had the hernia badly they prescribed several other things for pain relief but they all didn't help and/or gave her to many side-effects.

btw. I have a (slightly) hernia too, for over 6 months, can't run for 10KM (I have the energy for 20-30KM, even 40 if I was able to keep running), after 4KM it hits my legs, they start to sleep and they fall out. My doc will never put me on a operation table, even if I had it as bad as my mom, he says operations do not help, they relief pain for some time then the hernia comes back worse than ever. I've got an appointment at a spine hospital next week, curious how they gonna help me out and/or if they gonna be able to help me out. There is only one surgeon that does the safest operation for a hernia (operation just takes 1/2 hours under local anesthesia and then you can go home recovered from a hernia. It's called endoscopic surgery, unfortunately this is not covered by insurance and it's quite pricey. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 YoungSchizo

• Topic Starter
  • 855 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

Who's the troll that stalks me and randomly brings my reputation down on normal answers to a thread.

You sir/ma'am are sad.  :sleep:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diabetes, cholesterol, urinary infection, blood pressure, bladder, stomach, pain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users