- - - - -

Slow, stop or reverse muscle aging?

muscle

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Aditya Kumar

• 11 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

I am 27 years old and i want to consume some supplements to at least stop muscle loss or aging.

I am taking 100 g dried plums every day with calcium and vitamin D to prevent bone loss - as i read a study on humans that it does that.

But i am confused about muscle loss. I have assimilated studies on it as mentioned below.

1) there was research on FGF -2 inhibitor or p38/MAPK pathway => that reversed muscle loss but i have not been able to identify agents.

2) there are myostatin inhibitors but i want to be safe and not bulk up.

3) there is a recent study on green tomatoes but still in early stage.

4) there has been some research on reservatrol but i am iffy because of its poor bio-availability.

5) In NAD+ study , muscle loss was reversed. Do you think approaches towards increading NAD+ with CD38 inhibitors might work? again, for CD38 inhibitors, apigenin has poor bioavailbility and eating 100 g blackberries every 2 hours is the only viable option but it is too much.

Considering the efforts i have put and being not able to reach any conclusion, can you guys suggest some supplements which i can take to prevent muscle aging?

Edited by Aditya Kumar, 16 April 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#2 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

Why do you see muscle-loss as an issue at your age? Are you a bodybuilder? 

Excercise is the best antidote for muscle aging, and aging in general...

• like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Aditya Kumar

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for your reply. I meant muscles including facial muscles, which sag, due to muscle loss/aging. i have heard we experience 1% loss every year since we turn 25. My worry is about muscle sagging and how to prevent it. and hence the question.

I understand that exercise helps in general for aging but i was curious to know a supplement or food like blackberries that can be consumed to prevent muscle aging?

#4 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

5) In NAD+ study , muscle loss was reversed. Do you think approaches towards increading NAD+ with CD38 inhibitors might work? again, for CD38 inhibitors, apigenin has poor bioavailbility and eating 100 g blackberries every 2 hours is the only viable option but it is too much.

Reference for CD38 Inhibition

No. Compound IC50a (μM)

Cyanidin 21.8 ± 2.6

Luteolin 8.2 ± 0.2

Myricetin 24.8 ± 1.8

Quercetin 37.9 ± 0.1

What about Luteolin as it requires lower levels to inhibit CD38 ?

Edited by mikeinnaples, 16 April 2014 - 04:54 PM.

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:42 AM

Compound IC50a (μM)
Luteolin 8.2 ± 0.2

I think you'd have a hard time hitting 8 uM with luteolin, given the bioavailability of compounds like that. It's available as a supplement, but is pretty expensive, considering the dose you'd need.

#6 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:23 PM

Compound IC50a (μM)
Luteolin 8.2 ± 0.2

I think you'd have a hard time hitting 8 uM with luteolin, given the bioavailability of compounds like that. It's available as a supplement, but is pretty expensive, considering the dose you'd need.

So much for hoping there is a better alternative than Quercetin. My understanding is that it has decent bioavailability.

#7 Aditya Kumar

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

Thank you guys for your replies.

I searched for bioavailability for leutolin and i found one study

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18052241

Peanut hull extract 'might' help. Also, any thoughts on apigenin and CD38 inhibition?

Btw, Does any one have thoughts on other ways to prevent muscle sagging or loss , apart from CD38 inihibition? like regarding FGF-2 inhibitor or other studies that i mentioned in the original post?

#8 Aditya Kumar

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:28 AM

Oh BTW, i found that peanut hull extract is not available readily but has to be ordered from China through Alibaba. Typical 1 kg order is 200$ i guess.

And the biggest issue with C3G (cd38 INHIBITOR) is that its bio-availability is primarily limited by P450 - Which can dealt with bioperine IMO.

Also, for FGF-2 inhibition,  here is one study

http://www.biomedcen...1471-2121/10/30

Stilbene glycosides.

#9 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

I don't think muscle loss contributes all that much to facial sagging.  That is more due to loss and redistribution of subcutaneous fat and degeneration of the skin due to photodamage.  Also, it seems that people who gain too much weight seem to suffer more from sagging and people whose faces age best are the ones who stay lean, especially the kind of lean you get from exercise (except perhaps too much steady state cardio).  As for muscle loss, that can be reversed quite effectively even in your 60s or 70s with hormone replacement. 

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 Aditya Kumar

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:35 PM

I don't think muscle loss contributes all that much to facial sagging.  That is more due to loss and redistribution of subcutaneous fat and degeneration of the skin due to photodamage.  Also, it seems that people who gain too much weight seem to suffer more from sagging and people whose faces age best are the ones who stay lean, especially the kind of lean you get from exercise (except perhaps too much steady state cardio).  As for muscle loss, that can be reversed quite effectively even in your 60s or 70s with hormone replacement. 

Yeah , facial aging has other factors which might play a more prominent role. In any case, this thread might help with age related muscle atrophy.  and starting early helps. exercise is a way but apart from exercise, there are a lot of things to explore.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: muscle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users