• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What is the difference between N-Acetyl Cysteine and N-Acetyl L-Cysteine?

n-acetyl cysteine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

I have heard about NAC and when I Googled it, I found that both of these supplements are called that.

Some types are labeled as N-Acetyl Cysteine:

https://www.swansonv...600-mg-100-caps

https://www.swansonv...-mg-60-veg-caps

And some are labeled as N-Acetyl L-Cysteine:

https://www.swansonv...600-mg-100-tabs

https://www.swansonv...-mg-60-veg-caps

And on that note, what is AjiPure kind?  Is that just a specific brand of the substance?

#2 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:13 PM

All I know the L stand for, it "turns" left (if I'm right), so it has the same chemical but a bit different because it has an "arm" (can't recall the right for it) attached to the same chemical. So the mechanism of action differs a little bit.(I hope I am right..)

What it means for NAC, I have no clue, but am curious too..

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

N-Acetyl Cysteine and N-Acetyl L-Cysteine are the same thing.  The AjiPure is pharmaceutical grade, which means it might be more pure. 

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:13 PM

Natural amino acids are all of the L- variety. "L" refers to the stereochemical configuration of the amino acid, and is similar to R/S notation in that regard. R/S and D/L are not directly comparable, i.e., you can't say that L is always S, for example. In amino acids, L is usually S, except for cysteine, which is R, and glycine which is not optically active.

#5 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:07 AM

Sooo.. in language for dummies, this: "so it is the same chemical but a bit different because it has an "arm" (can't recall the right for it) attached to the same chemical. So the mechanism of action differs a little bit.(I hope I am right..)" ???

• dislike x 1

#6 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

The L stands for left because it faces that way or something, right?  So what effect does that have on the effect of it?  Is that like L-Glutamine?  Is there a regular Glutamine?  Does the shape affect now it interacts wth other stuff?  It seems unlikely that they would be the same thing if they are called different things, but maybe that's just how they do it.

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

Consider the mirror image of a molecule. If the mirror image can not be exactly superimposed on the original molecule, then we call the molecule "chiral". Just like a glove, there is a "left handed" version and a "right handed" version. Just like you can't put a left handed glove on your right hand, your body will not recognize "right handed" amino acids. They won't fit in the appropriate receptors.

Because all biological amino acids are "L", we often omit this letter, which is called a sterochemical designator. Thus, Strelok was correct when he said "N-Acetyl Cysteine and N-Acetyl L-Cysteine are the same thing."
  • like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

So L-Glutamine is the only kind of Glutamine that your body would be able to use it sounds like.

So is there even such a thing as D-Glutamine or some other type?

Since N-Acetyl Cysteine and . -L-Cysteine are the same, I guess that gives me more options when deciding which kind to get.  I was looking only for the L kind before because I thought it was a specific type.  I am happy you wrote out the explanation.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: n-acetyl cysteine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users