ethylphenidate dopamine harm reduction

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Synaesthesiac

• 115 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

Hi all, 

it's been quite awhile since I've posted here, but this pharmacological quandary has been on my mind for quite some time now, and I've decided to come here and share my experiences and theories with those of you here that I have come to know have great knowledge and understanding of the minutiae and various intricacies of the dopamine system that I do not possess (I have a pretty good idea conceptually, but due to incomplete research, I have yet to learn about this system in depth).

First off, before trying Ethylphenidate, I read horror stories online of people binging and having full-blown stimulant psychosis, a product of WAY too much dopamine (Schizophrenics have a surplus of dopamine, which contributes to the hallucinations).  I read about people seeing the dreaded "shadow people" and paranoia, setting traps in their houses to prevent the imaginary "intruders" from surprising them.  So you can imagine I was a bit worried.  I considered the sources, however, and since they were both from drug forums, and these accounts came from people that were known to have binging and addiction problems (the amounts they did I later found to be exorbitant, as well).  My research on Eth showed that it was a DNRI, or Dopamine/Norepinephrine Re-uptake Inhibitor, and that it primarily worked on dopamine, not so much Norepinephrine (this fit exactly with my experience; more on this later).  It actually had a very low affinity for the dopamine receptor, so agonism seemed to not be it's primary role, just re-uptake inhibition.  I uncovered the curious fact that Ethylphenidate is actually created in the body when Methylphenidate (Ritalin) and Alcohol are consumed together, much like how Cocaine and Ethanol (Alcohol) combine to form Cocaethylene, a completely new compound as well.  Methylphenidate seems to inhibit Norepinephrine re-uptake more than Dopamine, and Ethyl seems to be it's inverse.  This seemed great to me, as I wanted more Dopamine and didn't quite like the tweaky feel that Norepinephrine provides (this is the speedy part, that causes bruxism (jaw clenching), appetite suppression, and general the more "tweaky" effects of stimulants.  I decided to try it, but cautiously.

I started low, and since 100mg was listed as a strong dose, I decided to use my 10mg scoop to bump my first 10mg dose via insufflation.  I had heard this route was painful and caused nose bleeds, but after about a week and a half of daily use (albeit light), my nose is better than ever.  The small amounts at a time help (10mg), and I don't exceed 100mg in any day.  My impression?  I LOVE IT.  It has all the benefits of a stimulant, but doesn't seem to have the negative side effects associated with them (and I am usually very sensitive to stimulant side effects).  It wakes you up for sure, but does not "tweak" you out.  It gives me the OPTION and ABILITY to be awake and alert if I want to be, but doesn't INSIST I be that way like amphetamines or methylphenidate.  I can do a bump and then eat a full meal and then take a nap- this is just unheard of for me, as following stimulants I usually cannot eat for at least 24hrs and cannot sleep without pharmacological intervention.  I attribute these positive effects bereft of the negative to Eth having little Norepinephrine re-uptake activity.

So my dilemma?  I love Eth and have been productive and feeling great, but my mind knows that this is not sustainable and probably not good for the dopamine system.  It can't be HORRIBLE; people take larger doses of Methylphenidate daily for years.  I don't want to be those people, however.  I've been devising ways to reduce it's impact on my dopamine system, and am open to new ideas.  Here are a few things I have been trying:

-Sulbutiamine!  Why?  Sulbutiamine is reported to up-regulate dopamine receptors.  Hopefully this combats tolerance and dopamine down-regulation a bit.  

-SAM-e and L-Tyrosine!  Why?  SAM-e is a methyl donater, and it has been proposed that taking SAM-e in tandem with neurotransmitter precursors can methylate them and allow them to cross the BBB.  Using a lot of dopamine?  Yes.  I figured having plenty of precursors may help not burning out the receptor.

I plan to cycle off of it soon, but I was wondering if any of you had any other thoughts in terms of mitigating wear and tear on the dopamine system.  I forgot to mention that I am taking Alpha Lipoic Acid and N-Acetyl-Cysteine for antioxidant protection as well as Oxiracetam and Phenylpiracetam.  I ceased my Suni+Uni combination to mitigate excitotoxicity.  So- any ideas, bright people?

#2 ovecta

• 68 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

I actually have ordered 20x25mg pellets of ethylphenidate and am waiting on them to arrive, got abit freaked out by the crazy dosages some people use of this stuff, obviously addiction is a very real possibility, I'm hoping it help my productivity and concentration for college work so I'll stick to modest and spaced out dosages.

How do you find it helps with study or work in general?

I'm currently taking uridine, pure EPA,Agmatine and tianeptine..all have which done wonders for depression and each has neuroprotective effects that should protect from any slight damage ethylphenidate may cause.

I'm hoping ethylphenidate will help with drive and motivation.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Babychris

• 466 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

No ethylphenidate it's a no no for me. It could be quite euphoric at first (it wasn't that much for me) but the crash is really bad. I'm quite sensitive so I'm not a reference, furthermore I think that positives effect subside quite fastly.

My real advice if you want to take the RC's route to augment productivity is to try to get your hand on 2-FA this stuff is pure GOLD, really hard to find (PM for a source) but trust me it increase really well motivation and cognitive ability whitout any anxiety or euphoria, VERY CLEAN stuff. I wish we could find more study on it. I don't think that it would be so usefull for someone has getting access to geniune adderall (yet I don't know though how is the difference, because there we don't have amphetamine drugs..)

But for sure ethylphenidate seems to me a real bad option... If you can try at least to get real METHYLphenidate that is much cleaner and efficious to let you achieve some work. 

#4 tritium

• 384 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

What about butylphenidate or isopropylphenidate? ;)

#5 Ritchie

• 183 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

You could try supplementing with Serotonin precursors(5htp for example) because dopamine and norepinephrine both deplete serotonin which could cause long term depression and anxiety. Then of course there are the obvious ones like get enough vitamins, exercise, get a good night sleep etc. Try to incorporate some L-theanine as some people say it helps with any anxiety that arrises from long term use as well as makes the stimulation "smoother and cleaner"

#6 chris106

• 292 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:51 AM

+1 for L-Theanine in combination with stims. Ashwagandha works like a charme for this purpose, too. Though you should make sure you get a good extract, like Sensoril or KSM-66.

-SAM-e and L-Tyrosine!  Why?  SAM-e is a methyl donater, and it has been proposed that taking SAM-e in tandem with neurotransmitter precursors can methylate them and allow them to cross the BBB.  Using a lot of dopamine?  Yes.  I figured having plenty of precursors may help not burning out the receptor.

Well thought out. Though TMG (Tri-methyl-glycine) Might get the methylation-job done as well, and is way cheaper!
SAM-e costs a fortune in the long term!

Also instead of 5-HTP I would use L-Tryptophan - better anecdotal and safety reports for Serotonine support!

Edited by chris106, 15 September 2014 - 11:51 AM.

• unsure x 1

#7 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

No ethylphenidate it's a no no for me. It could be quite euphoric at first (it wasn't that much for me) but the crash is really bad. I'm quite sensitive so I'm not a reference, furthermore I think that positives effect subside quite fastly.

My real advice if you want to take the RC's route to augment productivity is to try to get your hand on 2-FA this stuff is pure GOLD, really hard to find (PM for a source) but trust me it increase really well motivation and cognitive ability whitout any anxiety or euphoria, VERY CLEAN stuff. I wish we could find more study on it. I don't think that it would be so usefull for someone has getting access to geniune adderall (yet I don't know though how is the difference, because there we don't have amphetamine drugs..)

But for sure ethylphenidate seems to me a real bad option... If you can try at least to get real METHYLphenidate that is much cleaner and efficious to let you achieve some work. 

Look into Cortisol + Depression, like cushing's disease. Maybe this could be the cause or at least a factor.

http://en.wikipedia....shing's_disease

#8 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

According to this data it can turn horrible:

Methylphenidate Exposure Induces Dopamine Neuron Loss and Activation of Microglia in the Basal Ganglia of Mice

http://www.plosone.o...al.pone.0033693

Consider that you´ll notice e.g. Parkison just after 30% of those responsible areas are left, so when 70% have died off.

Untill then You aint feel anything bad..

#9 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:44 PM

methylphenidate, unlike amphetamines or other stimulants, gives me a crash like no other, followed by severe depression, suicidal ideation and hate for the world and everyone in it the next two days. I'm sure it has its utility with some, but not for me.

#10 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

Methylphenidate Exposure Induces Dopamine Neuron Loss and Activation of Microglia in the Basal Ganglia of Mice

Consider that you´ll notice e.g. Parkison just after 30% of those responsible areas are left, so when 70% have died off.

Rats must get the shakes fast, ppl that have been taking adhd meds dont have a dramatic increased risk of parkinson, i never read about an association btw adhd and parkinson (that would first be concluded, then later research may point to medication).

#11 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:15 PM

methylphenidate, unlike amphetamines or other stimulants, gives me a crash like no other, followed by severe depression, suicidal ideation and hate for the world and everyone in it the next two days. I'm sure it has its utility with some, but not for me.

Exactly same to me.

Tried the 3,4-Dichloromethylphenidate, but got the same results.

Rats must get the shakes fast, ppl that have been taking adhd meds dont have a dramatic increased risk of parkinson, i never read about an association btw adhd and parkinson (that would first be concluded, then later research may point to medication).

Hmm good point. But nevertheless it doesnt seem either healthy, according to this data

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 chris106

• 292 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:11 AM

I do think pro-longed Ritalin abuse ( or rather taking high doses) a few years back has done some damage to my dopaminergic/ reward system.
Not sure if that actually really co-relates to what you posted, flex.

I will, however, soon give 9-me-bc a try, which is supposed to repair and even form (?) new dopaminergic neurons.

Sorry for getting slightly off topic.

Edited by chris106, 16 September 2014 - 08:11 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ethylphenidate, dopamine, harm reduction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users