R-Fraction Alpha Lipoic Acid - Odor?

alpha lipoic acid

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

Hi, people. I switched from standard ALA to the R-fraction version, and I have noticed that this bottle has a distinct odor. OTOH a bottle of standard ALA I have has no smell at all. Is this normal? I tried searching the Net but didn't find any mention of this. I hate to think the batch I am taking is somehow spoiled.

Thanks in advance.

#2 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

Seems to be normal.  

Mine has a slight sulfur smell, and imparts the same but stronger smell to urine, similar to asparagus.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

What form is the R-ALA? Is it a free acid or a salt? (probably the sodium salt, but maybe something else) The salt forms should be more stable; the free acid is known to polymerize if it's all R, but the racemic version of the free acid is apparently stable for some reason. Since volatile sulfur compounds are so insanely smelly, (e.g. methyl mercaptan has an odor threshold as low as 1 ppb) you may smell something even though the amount of degradation is insignificant.

#4 joelcairo

• Topic Starter
  • 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:16 PM

Thanks. It's Swanson brand R-ALA from sodium R-lipoic acid, according to the bottle. The smell isn't excessively strong, but definitely noticeable.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Jembe

• 92 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:06 AM

I take LEF Super R-Lipoic Acid caps, and they don't smell. NAC does, though...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alpha lipoic acid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users