piracetam receptor muscarinic cholin choline

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Even_Smarter

• 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

Hello again,

According to several articles on the internet and also to this scientific research http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10338103 Piracetam improves  NMDA as well muscarinic cholinergic receptor densities. 

Piracetam is also supposed to do a lot of things beside that. (i.e. better communication between the hemispheres effects on the dopaminergic system and so on)  

Now if it is true that receptor densities of various types are increased (by 20 to 40% what I have found, which is ALOT), effects of the corresponding neurotransmitters must be pronounced as well. 

I took 6g Piracetam a year ago for a couple of months and then quit. I still have that feeling of high nerve activity in my frontal lobe (like little flashes when you put your finger between your eyes). 

Also I react very positive to choline intake. 100mg of simple Cholinebitartrate are enough to give me that feeling of being able to find the rights words so easy when writing and communicating. 

Could it be that higher Acetylcholine levels now have an even bigger impact? 

Also the reason I quit Piracetam and also Noopept, which I took very little of, were skin rashes and hives which I got. The hives went away, but my skin is still kind of sensible/allergic. I dont know if the Noopept just was of poor quality or the increase of receptors made me more sensible. Meaning that the rashes are a neurological problem. 

Skin rashes can also be caused by low Acetylcholine, so probably as I need more I should regularly supplement that. 

What do you know about scientific studies concerning Piracetam? Increased connections in the brain should be the final goal of any mind boosting! 

• like x 1

#2 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

I took piracetam for long periods with choline, up to 10g and I don't feel like my acetylcholine receptors were permanently upregulated.
Though I'm quite sensitive to caffeine+choline mix as it makes me depressed.

I doubt you can upregulate permanently receptors with a single drug unless you turned a gene on/off and it created more of the receptors as a result.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Plasticperson

• 246 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:53 AM

piracetam is no bueno.. deff felt a prolonged up regulation of receptors. 

#4 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

I don't think any of the racetams are very effective cognitive enhancers

• like x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#5 apensity

• 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:57 PM

Piracetam was incredible for me, 800mg and I was super motivated, focused, my recall was excellent, and I didn't feel like I was heading to early onset alzheimers anymore. However, after 2 days I got terrible rashes. Three days later (after stopping taking it) I'm taking antihistamines to try and get rid of the rashes and itchy feeling. Still a little worried that my insides (liver, kidney, esophagus) are still being hurt from it. But I LOVED the feeling I had and am so upset that I can't go that route anymore.

FYI, my doctor thought I had ADHD a few years ago and put me on Adderall. It helped my motivation and thinking, but I got rashes everywhere again , so I came off of it and the rashes went away in about 2 weeks. 

So depressing feeling these great effects, but then not being able to use them! FYI, I am 44 years old, a past bio-psych major, and worry about early dementia as my recall and memory are crap (maybe from the early days of frying my brain with lsd).

#6 VerdeGo

• 205 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:31 AM

Apensity, I'm in the same boat regarding my sulbutiamine use. Loved the prolonged uptick in mood it brought me, though the hangovers sucked. Then it triggered a five week illness involving the nervous system I still can't explain. Can't risk using it again (at least not now in my current cautious state of mind). But with anything, the first time is magic, and then it fades. So we have to keep searching for what will fix our woes and not harm us in the long run. It's a very tight rope to walk. 

I have freshly purchased aniracetam in the cabinet, but I haven't mustered the courage to try it. I already feel good, my recall is great, but I'm always looking for new curiosities to experiment with. Some usage reports I read online were far worse than rashes, and I'm also weary of the interaction of nicotine and alcohol with racetams. What other interactions are out there? And what permanent changes in the brain are racetams causing? Because if something goes wrong again, the last thing I want is for it to be permanent.

#7 ron45

• 207 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:20 AM

According to Smart Drugs II, piracetam use at high dosages has little recorded problems in the literature. But since we are all biochemical individuals there has to be exceptions or else the Smart Drugs book is inaccurate. It's been around long enough for someone to have called the assertions contained in the book into question. I don't know of anything like that.

I didn't think much of piracetam and took repeated 5 gram doses of it w/o any problems or positive effects to report. But I did not continue with it for very long. I switched to deprenyl. But it does not address focus and concentration. At least not for me. I'm a life long musician and in the last year I've had trouble playing chord melody versions of standards and jazz tunes all the way thru w/o losing my place in the song or forgetting a part I played correctly several times an hour before. Gonna look into modafinil to see if it helps with focus. Both my wife and I could use some NZT!!

Ron

#8 NilsOlav

• 82 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:09 PM

I used piracetam for long periods, with some small breaks, for the last 6 years. I have an odd effect after taking a break from it---wheres most users require 2-3 weeks to start getting the full benefit of piracetam when they start taking it again, I get them immediately the first time I take it. It's like my brain has become a super-highway for whatever it is that piracetam does, and it works in my brain more effectively than new users because its "paved its way" for smooth operation in my brain.

I love the stuff----the only possibly negative side effect is that it may make you less emotionally attached to other people. Some call it the "Spock Effect", but thats an exaggeration. When on piracetam, I feel less inclined to ask how my friends are doing or talk to them at all. Off it, its like I have a hunger, or some kind of socialization drive that makes me want to talk to my friends, the same way a person wants to eat when they are hungry. So...if you're having a tough time or had a breakup or something, piracetam might be really good for that! You won't feel a hunger/need to talk to others and can get alone time things done like reading, work at home, or whatever.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 VerdeGo

• 205 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:35 AM

That's interesting regarding the lack of emotional connection. From what I've read, aniracetam seems to have the opposite social effects, making the user more sociable while on it. Can anyone compare the two in a nutshell based on emotional and social effects? Will upregulation of acetylcholine receptors mess with the effects of nicotine?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: piracetam, receptor, muscarinic cholin, choline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users