• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Could Chinese skullcap be a cure for anxiety and ADHD?

adhd herbs ritalin anxiety

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ritchie

• 183 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:35 AM

I've been reading about Chinese Skullcap and it seems like it could be a substitute for Ritalin aswell as a cure for anxiety. One of its alkaloids, wogonin, has displayed anti-anxiety effects without causing sedation or muscle relaxing effects(http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/12392823/)
Wogonin also possesses anti-cancer properties(http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/23371323/)
One of the other alkaloids in this plant, Oroxylin A, has displayed potent dopamine reuptake activity in a similar fashion to Ritalin(http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/23371806/)

However, all of these studies are in vitro.
Still, chinese skullcap extract is cheap and readily availible.

Have any of you tried this herb?

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,462 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:10 AM

Interesting. So this is Scutellaria baicalensis? I might give it a try.

Edited by Galaxyshock, 24 April 2014 - 06:11 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Ritchie

• Topic Starter
  • 183 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:22 AM

Interesting. So this is Scutellaria baicalensis? I might give it a try.

Yes, be sure to report back and tell me how it goes!

#4 Ritchie

• Topic Starter
  • 183 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

I can not edit my original post, but what I meant to say is that Oroxylin A has potent dopamine reuptake inhibiton activity.

#5 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:36 PM

Using the term "cure" is a bit of a far stretch. I have Scutellaria baicalensis, and I can't say I notice much of anything with it.

#6 Ritchie

• Topic Starter
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:30 AM

Using the term "cure" is a bit of a far stretch. I have Scutellaria baicalensis, and I can't say I notice much of anything with it.

What type of brand were you using and in what dosages. Also were you taking it with other nootropics or by itself?

#7 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:56 AM

I use skullcap for its iron chelation properties. I noticed I get pimples when I use it so it also seems to have effects on hormones.
Btw I didn't find especially cheap extracts on iherb, do you have a good source to suggest ? Thanks

Edited by fntms, 27 April 2014 - 05:07 AM.

#8 Ritchie

• Topic Starter
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:57 AM

I use skullcap for its iron chelation properties. I noticed I get pimples when I use it so it also seems to have effects on hormones.
Btw I didn't find especially cheap extracts on iherb, do you have a good source to suggest ? Thanks

Did you notice any nootropic effects from this herb?

I'm thinking of trying to extract out Oroxylin A from the plant and see what type of nootropic effects it may yield...

How much did you pay for it?

I found one source to be selling it at 5$ for a full spectrum extract of 90 capsules@400mg each.

http://www.swansonvi...-400-mg-90-caps

#9 GoingPrimal

• 264 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

Interesting finds Ritchie. I'm wondering how much of an effect plain or even standardized skullcap would have, or if we'd need to do extractions in order to start feeling effects.. 

#10 Ritchie

• Topic Starter
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

Interesting finds Ritchie. I'm wondering how much of an effect plain or even standardized skullcap would have, or if we'd need to do extractions in order to start feeling effects.. 

Some people report drowsiness and sleepiness from taking the whole herb, so. I'm thinking an extraction of its valuable alkaloids(Oroxylin A and Wogonin) May be necessary

#11 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

How much did you pay for it?
I found one source to be selling it at 5$ for a full spectrum extract of 90 capsules@400mg each.
http://www.swansonvi...-400-mg-90-caps

Interesting, Swanson is much cheaper than iherb, but shipping is 11usd more expensive for EU...I just ordered some along with their pycnogenol and other staples...

#12 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

chinese medicine is really really overrated...just saying it may work for you

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:47 AM

Any updates? Users experiences? Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adhd, herbs, ritalin, anxiety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users