- - - - -

Obsessions caused by supplement taking.

obsessions cbt anxiety ocd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nickygstar

• 23 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:45 AM

I have taken many different supplements for anxiety and general oversensitivity and find them helpful but I find that on noticing the effects on my mental state I create an obsession where think everything will now be okay, this causes a cascade effect making me a little manic evertually (if the supplement is serotogenic).

This results in an obsessive checking of mental state, causing a hypervigilance of sensation causing anxiety and psychosomatic problems.

The same happens when I do cbt or mindfulness for an extended period, but without the psychosomatic symptoms, instead I just get obsessive thinking about the issues.

Without helpin myself I tend to spend a great deal of time depressed, socially anxious, unable to concentrate. It is the very act of taking something that causes this obsession but without taking things my quality of life is deteriorated in a different way.

Any advice?
  • dislike x 1

#2 Ritchie

• 183 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

I am experiencing something very similar to you. The first time I took l-tyrosine i felt a tingling feeling in my chest and then scared myself into thinking i was going to have my first manic psychosis. This of course led to a panic attack and no psychosis.

It seems to me that you are not responding well to mild seroternergic supplements as your anxiety plays up your negative symptoms.

It seems to me that you can either:

A: Take a stronger serotenergic(Not reccomended)

B: Use exercises to control your anxiety

I'm leaning more towards B, so may I ask what mental disorder are you scared of? Psychosis? or do you just fear the feeling of losing control?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nickygstar

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:00 AM

I am not scared of a mental disorder, instead I obsess between having anxiety and needing to treat it, and causing psychosomatic symptoms by treating it. The psychosomatic symptoms are like an itching sensation caused by oversensitivity to skin, this is too unpleasant to just put up with. I hear what you are saying about stronger serotegenic, I have taken inositol which is stronger even at small doses and it does wonders for anxiety, and causes an effect so strong that the anxoety caused by the psychosomatic sensation is drowned out quite a bit, but this causes me to have a poor memory. I have also taken ssri and this worked well but I became problematic with drinking and insesitive in relationships, again this sensation happened less. It isnt just serotegenic compounds, I get the same issue from taking magnesium, ginseng, st johns wort, although with the exception of magnesium which was the worst, but serotogenics like 5htp, rhiodiola etc were the worst. It seems to be a psychological issue of checking myself.

Exercise can be good, I exercise a lot anyway not always consistently though, I find anaerobic exercise to be the most useful, but the effect is not as powerful as I would like, plus treating myself in anyway plays into the obsession of trezting myself

#4 Ritchie

• 183 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:38 AM

I am not scared of a mental disorder, instead I obsess between having anxiety and needing to treat it, and causing psychosomatic symptoms by treating it. The psychosomatic symptoms are like an itching sensation caused by oversensitivity to skin, this is too unpleasant to just put up with. I hear what you are saying about stronger serotegenic, I have taken inositol which is stronger even at small doses and it does wonders for anxiety, and causes an effect so strong that the anxoety caused by the psychosomatic sensation is drowned out quite a bit, but this causes me to have a poor memory. I have also taken ssri and this worked well but I became problematic with drinking and insesitive in relationships, again this sensation happened less. It isnt just serotegenic compounds, I get the same issue from taking magnesium, ginseng, st johns wort, although with the exception of magnesium which was the worst, but serotogenics like 5htp, rhiodiola etc were the worst. It seems to be a psychological issue of checking myself.

Exercise can be good, I exercise a lot anyway not always consistently though, I find anaerobic exercise to be the most useful, but the effect is not as powerful as I would like, plus treating myself in anyway plays into the obsession of trezting myself

Try looking into Kava. It causes sedation and muscle relaxation, aswell as strong anti-anxiety and anti-depressant effects. Its effects are described as being similar to alcohol, except that kava has been shown to have very little abuse potential in comparaison to alcohol. Not only this, but Kava is infamous for it's ability to induce these effects without disrupting mental clarity. Kava functions as a GABA agonist, but also as a GABA sensitizer. Meaning long term use of Kava should cause GABA upregulation, leading to less anxiety and better sleep.

#5 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

If you do try kava , get "waka" grade lateral root only and have your liver enzymes checked periodically.

Also right now do you take multiple supplements or just one at a time? I think I can somewhat relate to what you're going through.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 mrnootropic

• 180 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

Beware.. Kava tastes incredibly bitter. I have like 500 grams of Malekula Kava, which ive been meaning to take for about 3 months and never get around to because of the taste. lol .. 

If you do get Kava, prepare yourself for the taste and the Reverse Tolerence, which means for most of us. we dont feel any effects the first time we  try it, so you have to keep on taking it for a period of time.

Kava fascinates me, because so many people report great experiences yet i have never had any. (Regarding anxiety). 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: obsessions, cbt, anxiety, ocd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users