Supplement Suggestions for Diabetes & Hypertenson

diabetes hypertension supplement

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Miula Hung

• 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:27 PM

Hi Guys

I am new to this forum, and eager to know about what's your suggestion for a man who has type2 diabetes and hypertension at the same time.

Yeah, it is me.

Under my doctor's medication, I current control my blood sugar HbA1c at 6.6, and my blood pressure at 120/80. I have been losing weight from 117kg to 109 kg in the last couple months, but not yet being able to show improvment over my conditions.

Now, I would also to like to get some help from supplements.

Currently I am taking 1 multi-vitaimin,  alpha lipoic acid 100mg x3 for preventing AGEs damage, grapeseed extract 100mg x3 to help lowering blood pressure per day, 500 mg EPA/DHA X 1 to help cardiovascular health.

I would like to know what's the next key supplements I should take.

Can any one list maybe 5 more supplement suggestions for me to help me to control my blood sugar and blood pressure better?

Great thanks~~

#2 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:37 AM

Amla % black tea combo.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:59 AM

Iron reduction through blood donation has shown positive effects in those with metabolic syndrome...  Look Here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22647517

Effects of phlebotomy-induced reduction of body iron stores on metabolic syndrome: results from a randomized clinical trial

"SBP decreased from 148.5 ± 12.3 mmHg to 130.5 ± 11.8 mmHg in the phlebotomy group"

"blood glucose, HbA1c, low-density lipoprotein/high-density lipoprotein ratio, and HR were significantly decreased by phlebotomy"

"In patients with METS, phlebotomy, with consecutive reduction of body iron stores, lowered BP and resulted in improvements in markers of cardiovascular risk and glycemic control. Blood donation may have beneficial effects for blood donors with METS."

-----------------------------------

The phlebotomies / bloodletting these patients had was a relatively minor affair...  About equal to two blood donations.  If you're not spooked by the rather fat needles they use down at the blood bank, it couldn't hurt to try lowering iron a bit.  Donate only whole blood, not plasma or platelets...  The iron is in the red cells.  

Edited by synesthesia, 10 May 2014 - 02:59 AM.

#4 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:12 AM

... it couldn't hurt to try lowering iron a bit.  Donate only whole blood, not plasma or platelets... 

The study you linked to was very interesting. I think people should get their ferritin checked, before implementing iron lowering strategies. People with ferritin at 50 possibly/arguably don't need to be reducing iron further. Get iron down too low, and you are at risk of mild cognitive impairment (problems with alertness & attention, motivation, mood, etc). Manganese absorption is dramatically enhanced in people (or at least, young women) who are frankly deficient in iron - something else to be aware of/ watch out for.

The participants in the study you linked to had kind of high-ish levels of iron to begin with:

Mean hemoglobin decreased from 14.3 ± 1.2 at baseline to 13.3 ± 1.1 mg/dl after 6 weeks, and similarly, mean serum ferritin concentration decreased from 188.3 ± 212.4 to 104.6 ± 132.5 mg/dl.

Edited by blood, 10 May 2014 - 04:29 AM.

#5 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:38 AM

Good points blood...  Most males with metabolic syndrome  (as well as adult males in general) do have elevated iron (ferritin well above 50), but always good to have the lab done.  Ferritin is a dirt cheap lab and your doctor shouldn't object.  

#6 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:15 AM

Good points blood...  Most males with metabolic syndrome  (as well as adult males in general) do have elevated iron (ferritin well above 50), but always good to have the lab done.  Ferritin is a dirt cheap lab and your doctor shouldn't object.  

What ferritin level do you have (or aim for), synesthesia?

My ferritin recently tested at 50. That was after several weeks of eating beef or chicken flesh every day. Prior to that I'd been eating a mostly vegetarian diet for a decade or so.

Edited by blood, 10 May 2014 - 06:16 AM.

#7 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:42 AM

What ferritin level do you have (or aim for), synesthesia?

My ferritin recently tested at 50. That was after several weeks of eating beef or chicken flesh every day. Prior to that I'd been eating a mostly vegetarian diet for a decade or so.

Most normally menstruating females maintain ferritin around 25 until they reach menopause and do fairly well at that level, though many suffer some anemia along the way.  I figure around double that, or about 50 is plenty of stored iron for optimal health.  

The Iron Disorders Institute has a wonderful opinion on "Optimal Levels" for ferritin here: http://www.irondisor...org/iron-tests/

About half way down the page under the title: "Serum Farritin (SF)", the fourth and fifth paragraphs say it best:

"Serum ferritin measurements range from about 15 - 200 ng/ml for women and 20 - 300 ng/ml for men.  Although laboratory ranges vary, most are close to these values.  Approximately 95% of the population will fall within "normal" population range simply because ranges are calculated using standard statistical methodology.  Except for the lower ends of these ranges, which can predict anemia or iron deficiency anemia, the ranges per se do not define optimal or even healthy iron levels.  Optimal SF ranges for men and women are 25 - 75 ng/ml.  Individuals with risk factors for diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, stoke, liver diseases and cancer face amplified risks proportional to the amount of stored body iron over and above the optimal range.

Numerous medical research studies have demonstrated that serum ferritin above 100 ng/ml has been associated with decreased cardio vascular fitness and increased incidences of: atherosclerosis, type 2 diabetes, cancer gout and accelerated aging including osteoporosis and sarcopenia (muscle wasting) due to oxidative stress.  Fortunately this does not pertain to everyone; ferritin levels and stored iron can remain safely contained, even when ferritin exceeds 150 ng/ml, if the body's natural antioxidant defenses are working properly (see section on GGT)."

-----------------------------------

I donate blood and cycle on and off IP6 to keep my ferritin right around 50, and this has resulted in a dramatic improvement in my insulin sensitivity and overall health.  

Edited by synesthesia, 10 May 2014 - 06:58 AM.

#8 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

Miula, you might be also interested to read the Life Extension Foundation protocol:

http://www.lef.org/p...diabetes_01.htm

and the list of their suggestions:

http://www.lef.org/p...s.htm#AnchorSug

and the list of references they cite:

http://www.lef.org/p...abetes_refs.htm

However, you need to agree with your doctor as you are already on medication.

Edited by albedo, 10 May 2014 - 08:26 AM.

#9 username

• 176 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:21 PM

2g of black seed

http://examine.com/s...Nigella sativa/

Fish oil (to improve omega 3:omega 6 ratio) and green tea extract

#10 Miula Hung

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

Why green tea? I can't find any supporting data that said green tea will help on hypertension, although it may help on diabetes. I am using grapeseed extract already, is green tea still needed?

Blood donating is a good way, I never think of that before, will try it.

I will study more on black cumin and amla

#11 Bonee

• 147 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

There are some studies which suggest that hawthorn extract can be helpful in elevated blood pressure

http://www.ncbi.nlm....rn hypertension

Forskolin also reduces bp on the long term, but can't find the study now and it is inconclusive but IMO worth a try - also helps with weight!

as for diabetes I would do everything to get under 15% body fat probably with a ketogenic diet

ask your doc to prescribe telmisartan for you, its a bp medication but also a PPAR-gamma receptor antagonist which can help you to lose weight

do you take metformin? it inhibits vit b12 absorption, so it's advisable to take some sub-lingual b12

#12 Miula Hung

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:06 AM

My doc was giving me Metformin & Exforge to treat my diabetes and hypertension.

I think Hawthorn seems good for hypertension, I would like to add it to my list.

Now my list includes -

1. Alpha Lipoic Acid

2. Grape Seed Extract

3. Fish Oil

and now 4. Hawthorn extract

Any other suggestions on supplements?

How about Vitamin D & E?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 aim1

• 102 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

IP-6 Inositol Hexaphosphate to lower iron levels if they are high.  Mine were astronomical and now I am in the normal range

Svetol green coffee bean extract.

Piperlongumine.

Cinnamon.

Please do your research and don't rely on my suggestions.

Good luck.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diabetes, hypertension, supplement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users