Breakthroughs in depression!

depression

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#61 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:13 AM

miR135 Could Help Diagnose and Treat Mental Disorders http://wis-wander.we...rs#.U6S6fbGoq6L

The existing anti-depressants are not good enough: Some 60-70% of patients get no relief from them. For the other 30-40%, that relief is often incomplete, and they must take the drugs for a long period before feeling any effects. In addition, there are many side effects associated with the drugs. New and better drugs are clearly needed, an undertaking that requires, first and foremost, a better understanding of the processes and causes underlying the disorders.

The Weizmann Institute’s Prof. Alon Chen, together with his then PhD student Dr. Orna Issler, investigated the molecular mechanisms of the brain’s serotonin system, which, when misregulated, is involved in depression and anxiety disorders. Chen and his colleagues researched the role of microRNA molecules (small, non-coding RNA molecules that regulate various cellular activities) in the nerve cells that produce serotonin. They succeeded in identifying, for the first time, the unique “fingerprints” of a microRNA molecule that acts on the serotonin-producing nerve cells. Combining bioinformatics methods with experiments, the researchers found a connection between this particular microRNA, (miR135), and two proteins that play a key role in serotonin production and the regulation of its activities. The findings appeared today in Neuron.

Yes I have seen these I just wish there was more information as to when these things might be let into the wild.

#62 FeelsNumbMan

• 80 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:50 AM

I understand that anhedonia and apathy could be a part of depression, but I wish more research would go into those two. The feeling of not being able to feel anything fun, pleasure, anything at all just kills me. The inability to feel any emotions also kills me. So what's the point of living if you can't even see the colors? The world is nothing but bleak, black and white.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#63 Joe Monroe

• 75 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

I understand that anhedonia and apathy could be a part of depression, but I wish more research would go into those two. The feeling of not being able to feel anything fun, pleasure, anything at all just kills me. The inability to feel any emotions also kills me. So what's the point of living if you can't even see the colors? The world is nothing but bleak, black and white.

I hear ya... The struggle is SO REAL. Another thing is that it just feels like no one gets it, I've just pretty much stopped telling people about the way I'm feeling because literally I feel like I'm trying to make someone understand chinese that only speaks english... no matter what I say it's like they just don't get it. It's like only people online understand. I thought maybe I would link this thread... it has almost 3000 replies on it and it's all about anhedonia.. there's lots of discussion on it, thought you might like to check it out: http://www.depressio...riences/page-74

• like x 1

#64 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

Same thing to me. After experimenting with Ethylphenidate, I got the final hit for my depression.

(But it begun with chronic stress.)

Since then I have persistent Anhedonia and Depression.

I wish also that there would be more research. Because I´m not sad like from the usual depression.

Its more like a Pain with total Anhedonia, callous/numb like a Robot.

Example: if I´m taking Tradozone, it would abrogate my sadness( if I´m even be sad) but increases the Pain and Anhedonia.

Hard to explain, its a kind of parallel depression.

Therefore I´m looking for the cause and a treatment. But for now, only Mao-B blockers (just temporary), Lithium and Cerebrolysin have helped.

Interrestingly, I´ve heard that people who are slight depressed do have a objective view of the world.

According to this thesis/fact beeing not depressed means that You have usually a slight "drugged" view of the world.

I guess this is one of the big challenges that depressed have to cope with, because they are partly right with their thoughts.

If You ask me, I want definaetly this drugged view back.

I hear ya... The struggle is SO REAL. Another thing is that it just feels like no one gets it, I've just pretty much stopped telling people about the way I'm feeling because literally I feel like I'm trying to make someone understand chinese that only speaks english... no matter what I say it's like they just don't get it. It's like only people online understand. I thought maybe I would link this thread... it has almost 3000 replies on it and it's all about anhedonia.. there's lots of discussion on it, thought you might like to check it out: http://www.depressio...riences/page-74

Yeah! My relatives cant understand what its like.

One suggestion was to try to have a nice time with looking Movies and play Games. But especially before the Cerebrolysin I wasnt absolutely able to enjoy the Flicks and their stories. There was just nothing to enjoy. Like a 24h Job, You are just doing things and trying to override the emotionless with a kind of Mindfulness/Conscientiousness for Your relatives and smoke constantly cigarets for the Pain.

I hope that I´ve didnt affected You negatively with this.

Maybe there will be something in the near future or there is allready something like a Herb or Compound.

Keep Your head up and dont give up the Hope.

Edited by Flex, 12 July 2014 - 06:48 PM.

• like x 1
  • Well Written x 1

#65 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:50 AM

Ok it has been awhile but I got a new one anyone heard of this new drug?  I am surprised it slipped my radar..  I know Tramadol is suppose to help depression but I thought it had some sever downsides, anyone have any information?

ETS6103

OXFORD & NEWCASTLE, England--(BUSINESS WIRE)--e-Therapeutics plc (AIM: ETX) announces that it has started a randomised double-blind controlled phase IIb trial of ETS6103 in major depressive disorder. The trial is evaluating ETS6103 as a second-line treatment for patients who have not responded adequately to first-line therapy with an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor). It is being conducted by a group of primary care centres with a history of involvement in depression studies in the Glasgow area of Scotland.

“A clear need exists for better treatments for patients who do not respond well to first-line anti-depressant therapies. We believe that ETS6103 has potential in this population and are working with an experienced group of clinicians to test this proposition in a randomised controlled trial.”

Under the trial protocol, patients are enrolled prior to first-line treatment so that this can be standardised: every patient will receive the SSRI citalopram. Those with significant depressive symptoms remaining after six weeks on citalopram will enter the randomised phase of the study, which compares two different doses of ETS6103 with amitriptyline, a widely available tricyclic antidepressant. Approximately 160 patients will be randomised.

The principal objective is to test whether the two ETS6103 regimens have antidepressant activity ’non-inferior’ to that of amitriptyline. The primary measure of activity is the change in Montgomery–Åsberg Depression Rating Scale (MADRS) score between randomisation and the end of treatment eight weeks later. Safety and a variety of secondary efficacy variables will also be assessed. e-Therapeutics expects to report the results of the trial in the first half of 2015. If these are positive, the Company intends to seek a licensing deal for the drug.

Stephen Self, Development Director at e-Therapeutics, said: “A clear need exists for better treatments for patients who do not respond well to first-line anti-depressant therapies. We believe that ETS6103 has potential in this population and are working with an experienced group of clinicians to test this proposition in a randomised controlled trial.”

About ETS6103

ETS6103 is a controlled-release formulation of tramadol. An earlier small phase IIa study produced encouraging results when it compared ETS6103 with the established antidepressant amitriptyline in patients with major depressive disorder.

• Informative x 1

#66 Joe Monroe

• 75 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:35 PM

Thanks :) I actually do enjoy things to some degree... just very blunted. I do play this game league of legends sometimes, but it can be so stressful so I usually don't. 

Same thing to me. After experimenting with Ethylphenidate, I got the final hit for my depression.

(But it begun with chronic stress.)

Since then I have persistent Anhedonia and Depression.

I wish also that there would be more research. Because I´m not sad like from the usual depression.

Its more like a Pain with total Anhedonia, callous/numb like a Robot.

Example: if I´m taking Tradozone, it would abrogate my sadness( if I´m even be sad) but increases the Pain and Anhedonia.

Hard to explain, its a kind of parallel depression.

Therefore I´m looking for the cause and a treatment. But for now, only Mao-B blockers (just temporary), Lithium and Cerebrolysin have helped.

Interrestingly, I´ve heard that people who are slight depressed do have a objective view of the world.

According to this thesis/fact beeing not depressed means that You have usually a slight "drugged" view of the world.

I guess this is one of the big challenges that depressed have to cope with, because they are partly right with their thoughts.

If You ask me, I want definaetly this drugged view back.

Yeah! My relatives cant understand what its like.

One suggestion was to try to have a nice time with looking Movies and play Games. But especially before the Cerebrolysin I wasnt absolutely able to enjoy the Flicks and their stories. There was just nothing to enjoy. Like a 24h Job, You are just doing things and trying to override the emotionless with a kind of Mindfulness/Conscientiousness for Your relatives and smoke constantly cigarets for the Pain.

I hope that I´ve didnt affected You negatively with this.

Maybe there will be something in the near future or there is allready something like a Herb or Compound.

Keep Your head up and dont give up the Hope.

#67 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

Youre Welcome :-)

I had recently some very postive effects with scutellaria baicalensis.

Dont know whether this could help You, but just wanted to mention it.

#68 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:00 AM

AVP-786

This drug is already on the market for some disorder where people laugh and or cry at random times... it is called Nuedexta it contains an ingredient found in cough syrup (DXM)... it is being reformulated to treat depression.

Pipeline updates are highly awaited events in the pharma/biotech sector as they play an important role in deciding whether or not to invest in a particular company. These updates provide information on experimental drugs and at times give an insight into the commercial potential of the candidate once it is successfully developed and commercialized.

Earlier this week, Avanir Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (AVNR Snapshot Report) announced that its investigational new drug (IND) application for AVP-786 for a phase II study for the adjunctive treatment of major depressive disorder (MDD) has been accepted by the FDA. AVP-786 is Avanir's next generation compound.

Avanir intends to initiate a multi-center, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled proof-of-concept phase II study on AVP-786 in the third quarter of 2014. The study will evaluate the safety and efficacy of AVP-786 in MDD patients who respond inadequately to commonly prescribed antidepressants.

We note that, in Jun 2013, the FDA had decided to allow an expedited development path for AVP-786. For the development of AVP-786, Avanir might use the extensive data which was generated during AVP-923’s development. On the basis of interim data, the company stated that AVP-786’s safety and tolerability profile is comparable to AVP-923.

Currently, the acceptance of the IND application by the FDA has enabled the company to advance AVP-786 directly to the phase II study on MDD patients. Avanir has plans to study AVP-786 for a wide range of neurological and psychiatric indications including neuropathic pain, agitation in patients suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and treatment resistant depression.

I have another one but I have it coming in the mail so I will post it after I try it out... 

Take care all and be happy!

• WellResearched x 1

#69 Nemo888

• 214 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:57 PM

Serotonin levels and depression have no correlation in mice. I know saying SSRI's are bullshit is inflammatory, but the science is there already. Time to admit it was a mistake and move on.

Mice Genetically Depleted of Brain Serotonin Do Not Display a Depression-like Behavioral Phenotype

http://pubs.acs.org/....1021/cn500096g

• like x 1

#70 Milkyway

• 132 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:08 PM

I agree adamantly that S.S.R.I.'s were a complete mistake if not a complete disaster, but not for the same reasons.  For me they worked for about two or three years and after that I found myself addicted to them with my depression severely aggravated and my thought process compromised.  I think the only rational way to deal with depression is through therapy.  Medication in my book equals addiction.  Nevertheless, now that I am addicted I wish they had some way to deal with that affliction and perhaps maybe the initial depression.  I don't know why they can't just do things with gene therapy or stem cell therapy, no matter how far fetched it may sound.

#71 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

Nice one.

Serotonine does nothing for my depression in contrast to mao-B inhibitors

Edited by Flex, 27 August 2014 - 11:50 PM.

#72 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:22 AM

not only are you guys downers, but these comments have nothing to do with the threads subject... they are not about SSRI's so I do not see the relevance? 

Milkyway, so you are on SSRI's now and they aren't working but you can't get off them?  If so that is kind of my situation except well they are working I suppose but damn are they hard to get off of.

#73 Milkyway

• 132 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:40 AM

I was responding to Nemo's comment.  Not trying to be a downer.  I just protest the mentality that has overwhelmed modern psychotherapy and psychiatry that you can take a pill and all is right with the world.  All is definitely not right!  Anyway, no I can't stop them and they do damned near nothing at this point except needing to stay on them to get sleep at night and maintain any amount of calm.  The first time I tried to quit it went on for about a year and a half when I was running on the anxiety and weird energy they had built into my chemistry.  When that went away it was nothing but severe depression, more severe than ever.  The second time I tried to quit I tried to do it with 5 milligrams of Xanex and that went on for 5 months before I became completely immobilized by depression.  Now some of the stacks are helping and Seroquel at one point helped for awhile.  But since I had to go through all this it seems like I should at least let people know that from my perspective S.S.R.I.'s are not to be screwed with.  That doesn't mean I haven't given up hope but I have lost faith in the idea that a pill will fix a psychiatric problem in the same way it can impact a physical problem.  From my perspective the "Real Breakthroughs,"  in depression are realizing the effectiveness of psychotherapy alone or a genuinely organically based treatment for depression such as Stem Cell Therapy or Gene Therapy.  At least S.S.R.I.'s are working for you.  They have long since quit on me.

#74 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:33 AM

I was responding to Nemo's comment.  Not trying to be a downer.  I just protest the mentality that has overwhelmed modern psychotherapy and psychiatry that you can take a pill and all is right with the world.  All is definitely not right!  Anyway, no I can't stop them and they do damned near nothing at this point except needing to stay on them to get sleep at night and maintain any amount of calm.  The first time I tried to quit it went on for about a year and a half when I was running on the anxiety and weird energy they had built into my chemistry.  When that went away it was nothing but severe depression, more severe than ever.  The second time I tried to quit I tried to do it with 5 milligrams of Xanex and that went on for 5 months before I became completely immobilized by depression.  Now some of the stacks are helping and Seroquel at one point helped for awhile.  But since I had to go through all this it seems like I should at least let people know that from my perspective S.S.R.I.'s are not to be screwed with.  That doesn't mean I haven't given up hope but I have lost faith in the idea that a pill will fix a psychiatric problem in the same way it can impact a physical problem.  From my perspective the "Real Breakthroughs,"  in depression are realizing the effectiveness of psychotherapy alone or a genuinely organically based treatment for depression such as Stem Cell Therapy or Gene Therapy.  At least S.S.R.I.'s are working for you.  They have long since quit on me.

Ugh this is so upsetting to hear... I have been on an ssri for almost 5 years now.  I have tried to taper down with little success... though I thought if I did so long enough I would return to the semi normal state I was in at some point... I hate the idea I have to be on these even if they do not work... kind of why I am looking for breakthroughs in depression research that and because it seems so hard to dig up this information that I thought I would try to make it easy for fellow sufferers.  I suppose I hope some of these new medicines will help me get off ssri's which I agree do NOT directly address the problem but in some people address it in a round about way.  Hsve you tried other ssri's/snri's?

Edited by ILIkeBeer, 28 August 2014 - 03:34 AM.

#75 Nemo888

• 214 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

The most interesting thing about the study I posted was there was a small group of mice that were helped in both the serotonin producing mice and the ones with their serotonin system genes completely removed. This would mean that the therapeutic effect of SSRI's is working on something other than serotonin to produce the improvements in depressive conditions. It doesn't help many but that is truly fascinating.

And how is yet more proof that the prevailing model of the causes of depression is profoundly innacurate and the treatments ineffective not relevant? Doesn't that count as a breakthrough?

Edited by Nemo888, 28 August 2014 - 04:31 AM.

• Good Point x 2
  • Informative x 1

#76 Al Capacino

• 120 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

Like the thread beer. Keeps the hope hanging in there!
  • like x 1

#77 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:03 AM

The most interesting thing about the study I posted was there was a small group of mice that were helped in both the serotonin producing mice and the ones with their serotonin system genes completely removed. This would mean that the therapeutic effect of SSRI's is working on something other than serotonin to produce the improvements in depressive conditions. It doesn't help many but that is truly fascinating.

And how is yet more proof that the prevailing model of the causes of depression is profoundly innacurate and the treatments ineffective not relevant? Doesn't that count as a breakthrough?

I suppose it does, I guess I am just looking at new solutions not new discoveries on how current meds suck :) 

Like the thread beer. Keeps the hope hanging in there!

Thanks!  I really appreciate that!

#78 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:59 AM

Ok so this one you can order, it is for depression and apparently schizophrenia... though it is naturally found in the body... not quite a normal one for this list but it did peak my interest from this article.

Sarcosine

http://www.mind-and-...-in-depression/

#79 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:10 PM

I´ve recently read into endocrinolgy system, so Glucocorticoids/Mineralocorticoids and read that one of them two can cause depression, anxiety, forgetfulness

as well as decrease or increase dopamine.

Its at lest for me quiet interresting.

There are threads in regards of Mifepristone and Depression.

#80 Nemo888

• 214 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:36 PM

Kyenurenine metabolism is very promising as an alternative cause of depression. Why did we think there was only one etiology? I suspect this will be like type 1 and type 2 diabetes given time and a more thorough understanding.

Edited by Nemo888, 08 October 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#81 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:23 PM

That are some options.

I didnt liked the threads where everyone asked for thyroids in the case of depression.

That was somehow one dimensional.

#82 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

Kyenurenine metabolism is very promising as an alternative cause of depression. Why did we think there was only one etiology? I suspect this will be like type 1 and type 2 diabetes given time and a more thorough understanding.

Do You know a way how to inhibit Kyenurenine ?

I just know that its a part in Serotonin metabolism, but thats unfortunaetly all.

E.g. perhaps via curbing up Glutamate transmission ?

#83 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:47 AM

I read a very interesting article about how increasing what is thought to cause depression actually cures current episodes naturally.  Any thoughts?

http://motherboard.v...he-brain-itself

Also related optogenetics and how it helps depression.

http://www.biooptics...in-rodents.html

Edited by ILIkeBeer, 11 November 2014 - 02:00 AM.

#84 Soma

• 341 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:37 PM

Youre Welcome :-)
I had recently some very postive effects with scutellaria baicalensis.
Dont know whether this could help You, but just wanted to mention it.

In what form are you using this and how much?

I have some 12:1 encapsulated extract that I have been taking for quite a while (for something else) and never noticed any help with mood/depression. Maybe a baicalin extract would help in this way.

#85 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:22 PM

No, I guess if You dont notice anything from the capsules, then the extract wouldnt be that better.

I´ve used just the dried herb so no extract.

#86 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

Interesting article on what possibly causes depression aside from the serotonin implicated theory. Curious if discovering that the serotonin receptor has nothing to do with depression, will it wipe out all pharmaceutical drugs SSRIs, etc.? And in with the new? Zoloft never worked for me...

From what I understand, the serotonin hypothesis of the cause of depression has been obsolete for years now but just hasn't been announced til a new drug is available?

This article I linked talks about activating B-catenin (beta-catenin), how does one boost its activity? That should be interesting if there's a supplement or herb that can boost its activity.

• like x 1

#87 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:30 AM

http://www.latimes.c...1112-story.html

and yet another mention of beta-catenin...

#88 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:22 AM

http://www.latimes.c...1112-story.html

and yet another mention of beta-catenin...

That is really interesting, thanks for the info... 

#89 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:40 AM

Depression and Lithium:

I'm looking for a lithium supplement, everyone talks about lithium orotate but this link mentioned lithium arginate (a company called American Biologics sells them). I found a supplement of it that has low dose lithium (50 mcg). The link above mentioned good sources of natural lithium: lemons, mineral water, etc.

I just went to Walmart and didn't find any mineral water but almost everything was either spring water or flavored water. Maybe I missed it? I think I've had a bottle of mineral water before and surprisingly made me feel energized. Could it be the lithium in it? Does all mineral water have them?

The link above mentioned sugar being a culprit as well...

Edited by eon, 22 November 2014 - 11:31 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#90 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:38 AM

"We are seeing more evidence that depression can be a necessary and beneficial adaptation to dealing with major, complex issues that defy easy understanding."

"The research suggests that depression may be a natural condition in which the mind concentrates involuntarily on a complex issue to the point where it allocates resources to analyzing the problem at hand, diminishing concentration on other aspects of living, perhaps giving rise to disrupted eating, sleeping and social interaction that are associated with depression."

The comments of people regarding the article were as interesting as the article, such comments as:

"I think it's an adaption (regarding depression) to keep us in the back of the cave with no motivation to do anything when it's shitty and dangerous out. Modern civilization simulates that well enough to trigger the adaption."

raised and growing up living with a mother who was nosy, suspicious, overbearing, etc. I think made me become OCD. It seems as if I needed to adapt to becoming OCD as to protect myself? If that makes any sense. She was the type that would open your mails, etc. so in a way I'd have to check the mails first so I know I get it first, etc. to a point that it became a daily ritual of sort. OCD is known to be a ritualistic nature...

If I didn't become depressed as well I think I would have been wild and over confident to a point that it would be self destructive (mania!). So with depression, it calmed or "depressed" me down despite me not wanting to be depressed. Not sure if if was nature that had to trigger depression in my life. 

I'm speculating but the article above seem to suggest that depression is an adaption to coping with whatever current situation a person is in to bring balance (or imbalance?). Maybe this is only about depression (but OCD usually is linked with depression as well). I'm guessing the reason for bi polar disorder is to balance each other out (mania highs, depressive lows)? Imagine having just mania, wouldn't just having mania be delusional grandeur then?

Considering most depression starts in their teens during high school where almost everyone is egotistcal, arrogant, competitive, jealous, wild, etc. Usually the ones who are depressed do not show signs of arrogance, it's the ones who are happy go lucky, yet who knows what became of them AFTER high school?

Yes it sucks being depressed, but ask your self a question what you could have been if you were happy go lucky, would you be one obnoxious arrogant douche or close? LOL.

Cheers!

Edited by eon, 28 November 2014 - 10:40 AM.

• like x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users