Photo

MitoQ

mitoq sponsored thread

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#121 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:47 PM

This may be a stupid question, but would the synergistic effect of MitoQ and NR have any relevance to the topical serum?

It's interesting that Tiron can block UVA damage by (I think) some kind of chelating effect of the mitochondria. Similarly, I read studies where consumed MitoQ was able to mitigate something like 40% of the effects of UVA in rats. I'm starting to wonder if MitoQ both oral and especially topical could become a good means of preventing skin ageing both in terms of its ability to protect against IR but also now UVA. 

Already my sun-protection regimen consists of home-made CE Ferulic at night, MitoQ serum in the morning, followed by a very strong sunscreen. It would be nice to know that MitoQ's serum is serving a purpose outside of just IR protection. Strangely enough though MitoQ's website never makes any specific claims about the serum. Is this related to FDA regulations
?

Hi Ripper,  I am sure there would be some synergistic effect here .... just depends on whether NR penetrates the skin.   

We are a little cautious on claims around sun protection as we don't cover all bases.   Your regimen sounds good.  If you have good antioxidant cover as well as UV cover then you are across the main causes of skin aging.  

Off topic but a study just out ... http://www.hindawi.c.../mi/2015/901780/  

Shows MitoQ is not effective in mouse models of acute pancreatitis. 

• like x 1

#122 katrina

• 117 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:18 AM

The serum has a clearance sale on their Mitoq site for $60 a bottle.  That stuff expires the end of August 2015.  I bought 2 more bottles.

This product did amazing things for me.  And I now use it on my face, back of hands, and decollete.  My skin is very bright, lighter, and more youthful appearing.  I can also get away with going out without makeup if I need to run down to the store really quick.  Couldn't do this before.  The brightening/lightening affect is extremely noticeable.  

Never used it long enough to see how optimally it can work on my very mild skin sagging on my upper cheek bone.  But it has decreased that sagging to the point that only I can see it up close, and folks think I am imagining it.  Fine lines just appeared on my lips in the last 6 months, and are now gone. Not too shabby for 51.

But I always had good skin and take care of it well.  I would compare mine now to that of a 30 year olds.  My 28 year old daughter has more wrinkles than I do.  She has a furrow between her eyes.  (I just armed her with some goodies...)  We held our arms together and you could not tell which arm was which.

You can sometimes get the serum and supplement for 20-30% off on the Truth in aging site.You can also get 20-30% off sometimes from MitoQ themselves.  The 30% sale is more rare than the 20% sale at both sites.

I never tried the supplement, but plan in it with their next decent sale.

Edited by katrina, 30 March 2015 - 03:25 AM.

• Informative x 1

#123 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:28 AM

The serum has a clearance sale on their Mitoq site for $60 a bottle.  That stuff expires the end of August 2015.  I bought 2 more bottles.

This product did amazing things for me.  And I now use it on my face, back of hands, and decollete.  My skin is very bright, lighter, and more youthful appearing.  I can also get away with going out without makeup if I need to run down to the store really quick.  Couldn't do this before.  The brightening/lightening affect is extremely noticeable.  

Never used it long enough to see how optimally it can work on my very mild skin sagging on my upper cheek bone.  But it has decreased that sagging to the point that only I can see it up close, and folks think I am imagining it.  Fine lines just appeared on my lips in the last 6 months, and are now gone. Not too shabby for 51.

But I always had good skin and take care of it well.  I would compare mine now to that of a 30 year olds.  My 28 year old daughter has more wrinkles than I do.  She has a furrow between her eyes.  (I just armed her with some goodies...)  We held our arms together and you could not tell which arm was which.

You can sometimes get the serum and supplement for 20-30% off on the Truth in aging site.You can also get 20-30% off sometimes from MitoQ themselves.  The 30% sale is more rare than the 20% sale at both sites.

Try using it on half of your face.   That would be a better test of what effects are uniquely attributable to the cream.

• Agree x 1

#124 katrina

• 117 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:40 AM

Try using it on half of your face.   That would be a better test of what effects are uniquely attributable to the cream.

No way!  The difference in the brightness of my face and hands is huge!  (I just started the decollete less than a week ago. )  When I started using it on my hands I woke up one day and said, oh my goodness!  This happened faster than for my face.   Besides, my face is at a fragile age and I refuse to go off this again,

You see, I tried an experiment.   I went off it to see if the affects went away, and gradually over time, they did.  But when I started up again, bam, brighter skin again.  The brightness is the first thing you notice.

#125 katrina

• 117 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:36 AM

Oh almost forgot to mention...  Although I have been a member here for some time, I met Mitoq for the first time via a beauty box that introduces members to new beauty items.  (It's a small world..)   I got a full sized bottle as part of a box of 6  products that cost me only about $24.   The box is being discontinued, but that's ok by me since I found what i was looking for with MitioQ.  To be honest, everything else is sitting unused.  When your face is at a delicate stage of wanting to start wrinkling, you know what works and fast.

So anyways, the results had been totally unexpected.  One day when researching cucurmin here I found Mitioq listed here also.

Almost forgot....  You sign up for Mitoq's email and you also get a 10% first time buyer discount.

Edited by katrina, 30 March 2015 - 04:53 AM.

#126 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:59 AM

No way!  The difference in the brightness of my face and hands is huge!  (I just started the decollete less than a week ago. )  When I started using it on my hands I woke up one day and said, oh my goodness!  This happened faster than for my face.   Besides, my face is at a fragile age and I refuse to go off this again,

You see, I tried an experiment.   I went off it to see if the affects went away, and gradually over time, they did.  But when I started up again, bam, brighter skin again.  The brightness is the first thing you notice.

I tried it on half my face and I have not seen any difference.

#127 katrina

• 117 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:27 PM

Perhaps it is differences in skin types or even care level?  Mine alarmingly brightened up.  Trust me, I have an arsenal of over 100 moisturizing body/face products and serums.  Plus, I use it with a very high quality facial moisturizer, even on my hands and decollete.  Did you?  I feel this is mandatory for more mature skin.  Also, I PH balance my face with Obaji toner before I apply this.   

Could this product be helping other products work better also?  Perhaps it makes the skin more receptive to improvements from other ingredients?  Perhaps there is something I use complementing this a lot?  Now the last time, I didn't use the same face creams etc as I use now though and I had the same affect both times.  But I used high quality both times.  We are talking Retin A, vit C, peptides, hylauronates, resveratrol, B vitamins, collagen etc....

#128 SimbaLion

• 15 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:59 PM

katrina, i love that you're a product junkie like me.  (no offense intended -- i've also tried lots and lots of products...)  would love to compare notes on brands, product, etc.  don't want to derail this thread, though, so I've sent you a message separately.

• Agree x 1

#129 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:31 PM

Perhaps it is differences in skin types or even care level?  Mine alarmingly brightened up.  Trust me, I have an arsenal of over 100 moisturizing body/face products and serums.  Plus, I use it with a very high quality facial moisturizer, even on my hands and decollete.  Did you?  I feel this is mandatory for more mature skin.  Also, I PH balance my face with Obaji toner before I apply this.   

Could this product be helping other products work better also?  Perhaps it makes the skin more receptive to improvements from other ingredients?  Perhaps there is something I use complementing this a lot?  Now the last time, I didn't use the same face creams etc as I use now though and I had the same affect both times.  But I used high quality both times.  We are talking Retin A, vit C, peptides, hylauronates, resveratrol, B vitamins, collagen etc....

It's hard to say, but you have to realize that this is Longecity, and one of the things that makes this site different (and in my opinion much better) is that most of the users are very technical and very skeptical.   The basic problem is you do not have a good experiment.   A good experiment always has a "control".   In the case of a skin experiment, treating one half with the therapy and one half without the therapy is a great way to see just the differences attributable to the treatment.   

Skin experiments that do not have a good control end up being extremely subjective and subject to distortions by a placebo effect.   As you get better at science, you learn to distrust your own judgements and your own perceptions of things.   And that is good.   Proof means being able to show other people the effect of a treatment in a way that does not involve subjective interpretation.

• Agree x 2

#130 katrina

• 117 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:08 PM

It's hard to say, but you have to realize that this is Longecity, and one of the things that makes this site different (and in my opinion much better) is that most of the users are very technical and very skeptical.   The basic problem is you do not have a good experiment.   A good experiment always has a "control".   In the case of a skin experiment, treating one half with the therapy and one half without the therapy is a great way to see just the differences attributable to the treatment.   

Skin experiments that do not have a good control end up being extremely subjective and subject to distortions by a placebo effect.   As you get better at science, you learn to distrust your own judgements and your own perceptions of things.   And that is good.   Proof means being able to show other people the effect of a treatment in a way that does not involve subjective interpretation.

Understood...  But the fact that I stopped it and the affects went away, then started it again and they came back says a lot.  Then the sudden drastic change in my hands.  I am on vacation this week and was gonna burn off tiny slightly darker spots from my hands with wart meds, but there is now no need.   Only change was the MitoQ on my hands.

Like Simbalion mentioned, I am a product junkie, so I  know there are few products that help, let alone  one that works.  There was one product before this, that they stopped selling last august.  And my skin started going downhill fast when I ran out.  I headed out in all directions in a panic trying to reverse the downhill spiral.  The previous product didn't brighten, but it did reverse wrinkles so that I still have less now than when I started using it.  It took me a lot of work to get my face back to where it was that sad day last August.  The Mitoq was the difference.

I recently learned that my old product may possibly be still sold in Italy.  I am trying to find if I can possibly get some of so.  It would be amazing to use both together.

My skin does have an unusual ability to heal better than most peoples.  Remember the wart med I mentioned?  Yeah that leaves scarring, but my scars always heal and go away.  I had third degree burns and can't even find them anymore.  Multiple surgery scars, um where?  So my skin may be more receptive to this kind of product.

#131 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:06 PM

Hi All, The code for a 15% discount is LONG15APR.  It will be valid until May 15 2015.  

For those wanting a long term discount please become a funded member of Longecity. 

• like x 2
  • Cheerful x 1

#132 cannabidiol

• Life Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:43 PM

Greg,

Is there any potential for either negative interactions or synergy between MitoQ and Nicotinamide Riboside (Niagen) or Pyrroloquinoline Quinone (PQQ)?

Hi Daniel, 

I have taken PQQ with MitoQ and not noticed any additional benefits.  PQQ is meant to increase mitochondrial numbers from what I understand but if you are getting more from function from your existing mitochondria via MitoQ then I think it is unnecessary to add PQQ into the mix. 

Niagen on the other hand appears that it could be quite synergistic with MitoQ. I don't have any personal experience with it but it makes sense that if we have our mitochondria working optimally and you add in optimised substrate/fuel then there could be worthwhile benefits.  

If you decide to combine these please let me know how you get on. 

Thanks. 

*edit* My loved ones do no cardio; I do lots of cardio. Any thoughts on which is best for me/them to take, PQQ / MitoQ?  I have been informed that due to inflammation, Niagen and cardio might be not the perfect combo??? I am a person looking to benefit sick friends/ family. Do we know about the effects of these molecules on the obese? Thanks for the feedback fellow users.

***Did I miss oral bioavailability?
I see "
Encapsulating Aids" on the ingredient list for the capsules.  
I have been considering, and then I found this; "MitoQ contains no animal products or
gluten." This is important to me.. enough so that I want to try this product over pqq due to this alone. The discount will help me out big.

Edited by cannabidiol, 21 April 2015 - 02:30 AM.

#133 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:57 PM

Greg,

Is there any potential for either negative interactions or synergy between MitoQ and Nicotinamide Riboside (Niagen) or Pyrroloquinoline Quinone (PQQ)?

Hi Daniel, 

I have taken PQQ with MitoQ and not noticed any additional benefits.  PQQ is meant to increase mitochondrial numbers from what I understand but if you are getting more from function from your existing mitochondria via MitoQ then I think it is unnecessary to add PQQ into the mix. 

Niagen on the other hand appears that it could be quite synergistic with MitoQ. I don't have any personal experience with it but it makes sense that if we have our mitochondria working optimally and you add in optimised substrate/fuel then there could be worthwhile benefits.  

If you decide to combine these please let me know how you get on. 

Thanks. 

*edit* My loved ones do no cardio; I do lots of cardio. Any thoughts on which is best for me/them to take, PQQ / MitoQ?  I have been informed that due to inflammation, Niagen and cardio might be not the perfect combo??? I am a person looking to benefit sick friends/ family. Do we know about the effects of these molecules on the obese? Thanks for the feedback fellow users.

***Did I miss oral bioavailability?
I see "
Encapsulating Aids" on the ingredient list for the capsules.  
I have been considering, and then I found this; "MitoQ contains no animal products or
gluten." This is important to me.. enough so that I want to try this product over pqq due to this alone. The discount will help me out big.

MitoQ can prevent some of the damage caused to the liver by unhealthy food. I use it and exercise and I noticed a pretty good improvement in the gym. More than I can really say that C60 seemed to give me.

#134 crioux

• 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:02 PM

How does MitoQ compare to COQH-CF + D-Limonene (as in this: http://www.nowfoods....60-Softgels.htm)?

Both claim to improve bioavailability.

--chris

#135 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:36 PM

Hi Chris, 

Great question.   The key difference is that even if you improve the bio-availability of CoQ10 (i.e.successfully getting more into the bloodstream and more into the cell) is that it still won't get into the mitochondria in quantities that are meaningful.  Mitochondria make their own CoQ10 inside the double membrane because of the challenge of getting it across the membrane.  MitoQ has solved this problem by adding a positive charge to the CoQ10 molecule. This causes it to be drawn into the negatively charged mitochondria. 

Thanks

Greg

#136 The Ripper

• 97 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:32 AM

Hi Greg, is there a discount code for May? I'm looking to place another order for my mother.

I was also wondering if there are any plans for a kind of proper MitoQ serum that's more water based? I've been doing reading on how over-wetting the skin with products can be pro-ageing, so the fact MitoQ is glycerine-based is a little concerning. I thought it'd be cool if there would be some kind of serum that's distilled water, 3-5% glycerine and included MitoQ as the active. 

#137 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:06 PM

I was also wondering if there are any plans for a kind of proper MitoQ serum that's more water based? I've been doing reading on how over-wetting the skin with products can be pro-ageing, so the fact MitoQ is glycerine-based is a little concerning. I thought it'd be cool if there would be some kind of serum that's distilled water, 3-5% glycerine and included MitoQ as the active. 

I've never heard that getting a little water on the skin could be a problem.  Our skin is made to be waterproof.  People swim in water, and bathe in it on a regular basis.  Because MitoQ is so hydrophobic, I think you'd have an extremely hard time getting it dissolved in something that was mostly water.  Maybe you could pull it into solution with a detergent, but do you want to put detergent on your skin?  I suspect that the current formulation is fine and will not cause problems.

#138 The Ripper

• 97 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:14 PM

I came across this in reference to hyaluronic acid, but I suppose it could apply to any type of moisturiser or cream which would trap moisture (glycerine). To quote Dr Pickart:

"When applied to the surface of human skin, it (HA) feels smooth and sensuous but will slowly wets the skin's outer protective proteins and damages the skin barrier. This can temprarily improve the looks of skin but does not help skin health. The outer layer of skin (what we actually see) is composed of keratinocytes. The signal that causes the skin to send new keratinocytes to the skin's surface is a dryness in the outer layers of the skin. Hydrating (wetting) the outer skin proteins slows or even stops the normal flow of keratinocytes to the skin surface. If the skin is kept wet, such as by using hyaluronan, the skin renewal is slowed and skin ends up looking older. 

Skin Damaging Cosmetic Moisturizers are designed to push water into the skin and wet the outer skin proteins. Various detergents (but they may not be called detergents) and water-holding molecules such as hyaluronic acid often used to loosen the outer skin proteins so water can interact with them. But this weakens the skin barrier and lets in viruses, bacteria, and allergens. 

In about 1997, there were studies from Denmark that found that oil/water skin moisturizers broke down the skin barrier. The concern was that this could increase infection in hospital patients. Since then, it has been found that 

This means to skin is more slowly replaced and damage remains longer. Cosmetic moisturizers are designed to wet the outer skin proteins and push water into the skin to puff it up. Various detergents (but they may not be called detergents) are used to loosen the outer proteins so water can interact with them. The best example is the "cold creams" that women applied every night in the 1930s and 1940s. You may have seen these in old movies. Their skin was kept moist but the women ended with horrible wrinkles."

I guess the concern is that overuse of any moisturiser, oil, or glycerine-like compound could result in the skin being over-moisturised. Given that MitoQ serum is recommended to be used twice per day you can see my concern. For now I just try to make sure I leave time after showers to let my skin dry out more before I apply anything. That way I'm not going to be trapping excessive amounts of water in the skin, something that MitoQ would do if applied right after a bath or shower.

Edited by The Ripper, 10 May 2015 - 02:17 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#139 alc

• Validating/Suspended
  • 208 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:55 PM

Hi Greg, is there a discount code for May? I'm looking to place another order for my mother.

@ The Ripper - there is this one:

LONG15APR - until May 15, 2015

I just used it two days ago.

#140 DeadMeat

• 151 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:46 PM

I've never heard that getting a little water on the skin could be a problem.  Our skin is made to be waterproof.  People swim in water, and bathe in it on a regular basis.  Because MitoQ is so hydrophobic, I think you'd have an extremely hard time getting it dissolved in something that was mostly water.  Maybe you could pull it into solution with a detergent, but do you want to put detergent on your skin?  I suspect that the current formulation is fine and will not cause problems.

MitoQ is not that hydrophobic. The charged group they attached to coQ10 is apparently enough to make it reasonably water soluble. The mice from the age related endothelial dysfunction study, got it in their drinking water at 250 μM(0.17 mg/ml) for example.

http://www.researchg...unction_in_mice

Based on previous findings of effective doses and durations of treatment of MitoQ (Rodriguez-Cuenca et al. 2010; Smith & Murphy, 2010), mice were randomly assigned to treatment with MitoQ (250μM) [young MitoQ-treated mice (YMQ), ~8 months, n = 6; old MitoQ-treated mice (OMQ), ~27 months, n = 14] or normal drinking water [young control mice (YC), ~8 months, n = 12; old control mice (OC), ~27 months, n = 13] for 4 weeks. MitoQ (Antipodean Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Menlo Park, CA, USA; gifted by M.P.M.) was prepared fresh and administered in light-protected water bottles that were changed every 3 days.

#141 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:03 PM

Good point, Deadmeat.  I wasn't really thinking about the cationic charge.  It's mostly a big greaseball, but with that charge on one end it's a little bit like a detergent itself.

#142 alc

• Validating/Suspended
  • 208 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:44 PM

@ gregmacpherson

would you please tell us more about the new MitoQ Heart.

How are the new ingredients L-Carnitine L-Tartrate, Magnesium Aspartate & Dry Vitamin D3 complement mitoquinol?

Are there any human studies with the new formula?

Looking forward to your reply!

thanks!

#143 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:54 AM

@ gregmacpherson

would you please tell us more about the new MitoQ Heart.

How are the new ingredients L-Carnitine L-Tartrate, Magnesium Aspartate & Dry Vitamin D3 complement mitoquinol?

Are there any human studies with the new formula?

Looking forward to your reply!

thanks!

Hi ALC,

Thanks for your query. 

MitoQ Heart is the first of a number of new MitoQ products coming this year where we combine MitoQ with specific ingredients to target organs and conditions where there is evidence that MitoQ and the combination will be of benefit.  

In the case of MitoQ Heart, the additional ingredients have been chosen as they support heart function. 

We are in the process of setting up human studies for each of the new formulas and will report in as soon as we get data from these.  

Thanks

Greg

#144 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:12 PM

Hi All 

A recent paper FYI on MitoQ

The Mitochondria-Targeted Antioxidant MitoQ Decreases Ischemia-reperfusion Injury in a Murine Syngeneic Heart transplant model 

http://www.sciencedi...53249815012784#

Regards

Greg

#145 alc

• Validating/Suspended
  • 208 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:20 PM

Hi Greg - are there any discounts for this period of time? - thanks!

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#146 The Ripper

• 97 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:49 AM

Hi Greg - are there any discounts for this period of time? - thanks!

Bump :)

I'm wanting to buy more of the MitoQ serum, but unfortunately I can't justify the $120 expense. I was sort of hoping it was going to stay down around the $60 mark which I bought a bunch for last time.

• Agree x 1

#147 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:10 AM

Greg,

I think at one point there was some discussion of a "subscription" plan for buying MitoQ that might lower the cost.  Is that still on the table?

• Good Point x 1

#148 Heisenburger

• 478 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:26 AM

How much is definitively known right now about the first-pass pharmacokinetics of this substance? A detailed response would be appreciated, or, barring that, just links to external sources of information would be sufficient.

#149 Ximet

• 18 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

i,m interesed in buy the serum, any discounts??????? :sad:

#150 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:19 PM

Haven't seen Greg in a while.  Is he still around?

I'm wonder what studies have been done for MitoQ improving Cardiovascular health?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitoq, sponsored thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By