MK4 megadose without vit D

vitamin k2 vitamin mk4 bones vitamin d

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Balmain

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

Hi I've been taking 15mg of mk4 daily, without any Vitamin D supplementation.

Does anyone know if this would have a negative effect as the amount of k2 and D in my body will have been greatly unbalanced?

I read this post from another forum which scared me...

believe MK-7 caused my bones to shrink dramatically because I was low in Vitamin D and not supplementing. So the notion that it would cause them to fill out when taken in balance makes sense. It’s crazy scary to me to see my bones shrink so rapidly. It was very rapid. All my bones got sharper. I lost weight. I had osteomalacia. Joint painarrow-10x10.png. Pain in the top of my skull. The skull near my ear. Inside my ears. Toes, hands, elbows, sternum, rib cage. I’m even afraid I have a lump in my breast, but I think it’s just bone that became more noticeable.

I was taking mk4 to see if it would raise my testosteronearrow-10x10.png as a study conducted on rats suggested, but after reading that person's comment I'm paranoid that I could have made my facial bones thinner.

• dislike x 1

#2 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

Everything I have read says there are no known side effects from Vitamin K. It's not because no one takes it. In Japan there are many users of 45mg daily MK-4 for osteoporosis.

This review from 2004 says

Any risks associated with relatively high consumption of either K1 or K2 appear minimal, with intakes up to 1 mg/d K1 and 45 mg/d MK-4 often having been used without observed adverse events. Two possible exceptions exist. Firstly a potential problem relates to interference with oral anticoagulants. However, a systematic dose-response study among subjects on oral anticoagulant treatment demonstrated that the stability of anticoagulation was not significantly affected by vitamin K supplements at doses below 100 μg/day [14]. Secondly, preliminary studies have suggested that high vitamin K1 supplementation (i. e. above 1 mg/day) can contribute to periodontal disease via a bacterial mechanism on gingival tissue (S. Hodges, unpublished data).

Wikipedia says:

Although allergic reaction from supplementation is possible, no known toxicity is associated with high doses of the phylloquinone (vitamin K1) or menaquinone (vitamin K2) forms of vitamin K, so no tolerable upper intake level (UL) has been set.[75]

[75] http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16200467

LPI says:

Although allergic reaction is possible, there is no known toxicity associated with high doses of the phylloquinone (vitamin K1) or menaquinone (vitamin K2) forms of vitamin K (20). The same is not true for synthetic menadione (vitamin K3) and its derivatives. Menadione can interfere with the function of glutathione, one of the body's natural antioxidants, resulting in oxidative damage to cell membranes. Menadione given by injection has induced liver toxicity, jaundice, and hemolytic anemia (due to the rupture of red blood cells) in infants; therefore, menadione is no longer used for treatment of vitamin K deficiency (4, 6). No tolerable upper level (UL) of intake has been established for vitamin K (20).

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Balmain

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

Thanks ta5, I do wonder if most people taking mk4 will be doing so to treat osteoporosis and are likely to be taking d3 and calcium along side it anyway.

I've seen people report that it depletes calcium levels but haven't read any studies that mention this and don't know if the people claiming that it lowered their calcium levels had them tested.

There are quite a few Japanese studies on mk4 for increasing bone density, some where the patients took mk4 without d3 or calcium.

There was no mention of depleted d or calcium levels (doubt they would test for them), certainly no mention of losing bone density, but I don't know if they were funded by companies that manufacture mk4.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vitamin k2, vitamin mk4, bones, vitamin d

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users