Anti-tumor drugs + pet ethics

anti-tumor ethics pets pituitary

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ByAnyMeansNecessary

• 43 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:24 PM

Greetings everyone,

I have a bit of an ethical quandary that I am turning over that I'd like some perspectives on as well as some recommendations. 

Lately, I've been doing a bunch of research into various nootropic compounds. During my research, I've come across a few antitumoric drugs (though I cant recall specifically which ones, and most of my reading on them was brief, skimming for certain nootropic properties. Currently, I have two pet rats-- one of which, I am 99.9% sure has a pituitary tumor which is slowly shutting down his body. 

My quandry is this: I am not sure if it would be more ethical to euthanize my pet, or, if it might be beneficial to invest and acquire certain antitumoric drugs to treat him. In terms of dosing, all I'd need to do is find the experimental write up and my pets weight to calculate out what I'd need to give him. In anticipation of dosages being in the microgram range, I would be using the services of a vet to compound the drugs into administerable ranges. He does not seem to be particularly unhappy, nor does he seem to be in pain-- which is why I am even considering going down this path.

Does anyone have any recommendations for antitumoric drugs that specifically target pituitary tumors? Also, where might I acquire said drugs?

Thanks!

#2 Brett Black

• 353 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:30 AM

It sounds like you may not have sufficient training/knowledge/experience to treat, and possibly also diagnose, your rat. If you do lack sufficient training/knowledge/experience, I'd be worried that you could cause more/unnecessary harm and suffering than good, to your rat, by attempting any treatment. So, my advice is to use the services of a qualified veterinarian for both diagnosis and any treatment. Also, any treatment suggestions from random people on an internet forum(or any that you source from elsewhere) would also probably be best discussed with a veterinarian before implementation.

Edited by Brett Black, 21 May 2014 - 03:33 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anti-tumor, ethics, pets, pituitary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users