help! .. resistant starch turned on me

resistant starch anxiety

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 penisbreath

• Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:00 AM

I successfully began taking Resistant Starch a couple of months ago (2 tablespoons morning and night). I noticed an acute mood-lift (bordering on giddiness), better sleep, focus, less anxiety.

The problem was that it was making me very fatigued, in addition to dropping my blood sugar and giving me reflux. So I switched to taking it after meals, which helped the blood sugar and reflux issues. I then read that the fatigue might be caused by increased serotonin, possibly converting into excess melatonin during the day, so switched to taking it 6 hours before bed. That resolved the fatigue.

I tend to take a break when I run out, so can't pinpoint when this happened exactly, but lately I've been feeling very aggravated after taking the starch. I'm still more clearheaded and focused, but I just feel uncomfortable and very bothered by stimulation and stuff. I've been tracking my mood through the day and definitely notice the shift happening after I take the starch.

I would hate to give it up, because I'm basically braindead without it. But could anyone intelligent take a guess as to why this might be occurring? I'm borderline hypoglycemic as it is .. so could it be blood sugar dysregulation? Or maybe neurotransmitter-related?

Another thing I've noticed is that I get no GI disturbance. Maybe this is normal? It happened the first time I took it for a day or two, but nothing after that, even after a break. Someone on the freetheanimal thread suggested this could be due to a deficit in good flora for the starch to feed in the first place ..?

I'm not taking any other supplements or drugs regularly. Only melatonin at night.  

• like x 1

#2 penisbreath

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

Failing that, are there any other herbs, compounds, supplements which might mimic the anti-inflammatory/BDNF benefits? It really is the best pro-cognitive agent I've tried. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

What is your diet like, especially before and after the resistant starch? You mentioned blood sugar a couple of times and that seems like a reasonable hypothesis to test. Maybe try pre-loading with complex carbs before you take resistant starch. Afterwards take frequent snacks and try simple carbohydrates if you start feeling "off" in the way you've described. Resistant starch might be impeding the digestion of other things you've eaten. You could also try coconut oil instead of carbs, which might digest easier alongside the resistant starch. Or, you could go on a complete ketogenic diet which might smooth out your blood sugar.

I find this resistant starch very interesting because of the effects you're gotten from it. You've tried so many pharmaceuticals, it is funny that something like potato starch would have such profound effects. What dosing are you doing and are you taking it with anything else?

Edited by chemicalambrosia, 24 May 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#4 penisbreath

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:33 PM

Hmm, well, my diet's pretty good. Gluten-free, dairy-free, balanced mix of protein, carbs and vegetables. Today I took the starch after having only had 2 pieces of toast and it threw me the whole day .. I was shaky, tired, weak. Normally I tend to have it after a full dinner -- meat/chicken/fish + potato + brown rice/quinoa + salad .. though thinking back, I have been having lighter dinners lately, so maybe that was contributing. I'll try having a very full meal and then taking it as a test.

My dosing is usually around one tablespoon in the evening. 

I don't take it with anything else consistently. Occasionally Nicotine, Niacin .. though I use Melatonin every night and sometimes that can cause the same sense of 'aggravation' for whatever reason, which is why I was wondering if RS's effects on neurotransmitter activity might be contributing. 

I know a guy who said he got the same benefits on RS w/ supplemental prebiotics, minus the blood sugar dysregulation, so that will probably be my next purchase. 

Yeah, you're right, I've tried a lot, and my sleep is awful, but thanks to the RS I've been more mentally functional than in a long time, which is why I'd hate to lose it. 

#5 adamh

• 1,013 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:44 AM

I have not noticed any of those effects, I wish it did some of those things for me. The only thing I've noticed for sure was more gas. What type of RS are you taking? I take bobs red mill potato starch.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 truboy

• 178 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:57 AM

You mentioned blood sugar a couple of times and that seems like a reasonable hypothesis to test. Maybe try pre-loading with complex carbs before you take resistant starch.

Disagree with complex carbs part. I suffer with hypoglicymia symptoms too. And nothing make it worse than so called complex carbs. Especially oatmeal. This thing

gives me crash 3-4 hours later, and gives me low blood sugar symptoms for the rest of the day, forcing me to it and it.

What worked for me, and lots of others with hypoglicymia - increase animal protein and fat, and minimize carbs(i am grain free now and feel 100% better).

Also i am found our that i am much more tolerable to carbs in PM. Carbs in AM have very bad effect on my blood sugar - cause rollecoster for the rest of the day...

Did you tried other Resistant Starch sources? I have same similar effect(memory and cognition boost next day) from evening potatoes, so i think it might be more potatoes than Resistant Starch?

I've read study that potatoes improve memory, can't find it now though...

Edited by truboy, 25 May 2014 - 01:58 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: resistant starch, anxiety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users