• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Could creatine have cause kidney damage?

creatine kidney damage renal damage kidney

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ccnootropics

• 66 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:20 AM

I recently started creatine and today I feel like I can't stop peeing.  Like literally everything I drink goes straight through me.  Could this be indicative of kidney damage?  This is only day 3 on the creatine for me...

#2 YOLF

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:46 AM

When you start using creatine it is important to drink lots of fluid. I'm not sure how safe it is, but you need the extra water to prevent damage. Drink up! Hope you can get some better advice than mine though.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:23 AM

Been taking creatine daily for 20+ years. No kidney transplant yet. :|o

• like x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 YOLF

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:38 AM

Been taking creatine daily for 20+ years. No kidney transplant yet. :|o

And until kidney printing techs get fully worked out, he won't be getting one!

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#5 RonBurgandy

• 31 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:46 AM

Did you consume any caffeine or other stimulants around the same time? Just because your peeing more doesn't necessarily indicate you have kidney damage... In fact, It would be quite the opposite. Kidney damage is mainly reflected by certain bio-markers in blood/urine tests.

Edited by RonBurgandy, 10 November 2014 - 02:48 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#6 nushu

• 247 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:05 AM

It's safe. More than 20 years of use here.

#7 YOLF

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:20 AM

Interestingly enough, I started taking creatine to improve a skin condition along with Tumeric and some other things and it's had a  dialysis like effect on some days (depending on how far apart the doses are. It's probably one of the best treatments I've found so far.Creatine is a very potent and quick acting thermogenic too. It might help keep you warm in the winter. 

I'd like to see evidence that creatine causes kidney problems besides, "it's a protein and proteins are excreted through the kidneys, some proteins have been shown to stress the kidneys etc..."  

#8 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:48 PM

Urinating more that 4 times a day(nice big wees or 6 little ones)is a sign of kidney trouble. Everyone has a different requirement and it depends on the climate, toxic load, body type, salt deficiences, the kidneys can fail and die inside you without you knowing, shocking I know but you will have some dull aches n stuff!!
You will find the creatine is NOT being used by the body due to lack of support nutrients or your body has no need for the aminocomplex. Do you drink alcohol more than once a month in moderation? Checkout my other posts for more info. You may find Niacinimide works better to start with say 100mg dose? When your metabolism gets upto speed maybe try an amino acid mix, then the creo with ZMA. Nitro is the bomb for continuous clean gains:)
Is there any parasite symptoms? Eat more greens with D3? Stay off the sodas!

Edited by Multivitz, 16 December 2015 - 11:02 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#9 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:55 PM

With any supplement do quarter dosing until your body gets chemically geared up to use it more often and of course have breaks off the stuff.
If you lose strength with an additive it wasn't you being strong, if you maintain a healthy bod you can leave a conditioned muscle for up to 14 days without it losing conditioning, I used to use that rule, it stops one getting anxious about losing mass.

#10 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:40 PM

It takes a lot longer than a week of use with dehydration to induce kidney problems.  SMH...

#11 YOLF

Posted 25 December 2015 - 06:27 PM

It takes a lot longer than a week of use with dehydration to induce kidney problems.  SMH...

As measured by tests that make assumptions of specific conditions and measure function by estimation or guesses? 

I don't think that for the young there are tests which can accurately measure kidney function. The tests admit that they aren't direct measurements or accurate measurements until the kidneys have lost 60% of their function... Read up on EGFR ("Estimated" Glomerular Filtration Rate).

No testing of creatine use that I'm aware of has taken high resolution images of the structures involved with EGFR and iirc, it uses your age or some other biomarker to make the estimate, though I've forgotten the details of it. You're all arguing over uncertainty. There are also other benefits that are associated with creatine intake that might be making the effects of creatine less visible... It's hard to know if the stuff is good for you or not... When you stop using it, there is a sudden loss of the SAMe that was being preserved and protects from the damages creatine might be doing. I suppose deciding to use it consistently or not at all is the best strategy using that limited amount of info? Other things to look at are that the people promoting it's safety are throwing caution to the wind by saying it's safe when the available tests used to measure safety are so inconclusive b/c of being based on estimates... Let buyers be wary...

#12 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 11:13 PM

I guess most of us here are young then, I don't know but I do know for those with compromised Kidney functioning they probably shouldn't even be taking Creatine. The OP never specified age or any such thing. I personally take creatine only on workout days, I could take it every day if I wanted. But then I am a young man with no kidney issues.....

• Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#13 joee

• 25 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:29 AM

I have been chronically dehydrated and have taken creative for years.

I have kidney damage that I feel when dehydrated and now even when I take creating with large amounts of water I still get kidney pain.

Increased creatinine in my urine even when I'm not on creatine. I've sworn off the supplement. Kidneys are more important than my vanity

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#14 YOLF

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:40 PM

Creatine makes me look older imo. Not just from thinning hair, but also skin quality. Cosmetic improvements must be a phenomena for those more aged than me... maybe 40? 50? 60?

#15 nushu

• 247 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:15 PM

Creatine is the most studied sports supplement in history. It's worth taking. 

#16 YOLF

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:07 AM

Raises a type of testosterone called DHT, it can thin out your hair and lots of other stuff. DHT = old man testosterone as opposed to young testosterone... I take a DHT inhibitor to prevent that. They generally make you younger looking anyways and are backed by more recent science, therefor are more worth taking. The upper end of curcumin supplements will yield cosmetic benefits and perhaps ameliorate the rise in DHT. Better curcumins from best down are MetaCurcumin, Theracumin, and Meriva.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#17 WillNitschke

• 79 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:45 AM

I've tried creatine a few times in my weight training history. I've experienced no negative or positive effects. I suspect it's almost useless except for placebo.

• Disagree x 2

#18 Ken Mark

• 21 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:37 PM

Gut bacteria convert creatin into TMAO, a harmful compound. This study was about creatin in foods such as meat, not pure creatin as supplement.

I know creatin is well studied and generally considered safe but has there been any study about creatin supplementation and TMAO production in the gut?

It's possible that OP's kidneys are trying to get rid of TMAO, so working overtime. Pure speculation but worth pondering.
  • Ill informed x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#19 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:06 PM

Gut bacteria convert creatin into TMAO, a harmful compound. This study was about creatin in foods such as meat, not pure creatin as supplement.

I know creatin is well studied and generally considered safe but has there been any study about creatin supplementation and TMAO production in the gut?

It's possible that OP's kidneys are trying to get rid of TMAO, so working overtime. Pure speculation but worth pondering.

TMAO is produced upon metabolizing CARNITINE, not creatine.

• Needs references x 1
  • Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: creatine, kidney damage, renal damage, kidney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users