• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

What's the best way to learn biogerontology in-depth?

biogerontology aging education immersion

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vardarac

• 178 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:24 AM

My background is in biology. I remember the fundamentals of genetics, cell biology, and organic/biochemistry. However, I do not retain much depth in these subjects.

Over the next few years, I intend to comprehensively review them through textbooks and the like, but I know that to further my knowledge and get a bleeding-edge, sharp picture of the field, I need to consult the literature.

Can any current graduate students or postdocs here tell me how best to approach finding and reading research literature purely for broad learning's sake? I have experience with locating/evaluating literature to support a single, focused argument, but not to get a clear, hard understanding of the field's history and its current research questions. I know that reading literature reviews is a great first step in that direction, but what comes beyond that? What else, barring access to lab equipment or study subjects, does one do to become an expert in biogerontology and regenerative medicine?

#2 holdout

• 37 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:14 AM

Hrrmmm.... I think your best bet would be to ask what you've asked in this post, in e-mails to doctors who lead research groups.  Or reach out to doctors who hit major media in the field of regenerative medicine, or shoot an e-mail to the contact of any such research study you come across, and ask them for their suggestions.  The worst they can say is tell you to go pay $982359820 tuition for university haha.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

They're 2 really different subjects.  I think it's probably most realistic to specialize in one of them, rather than both.  Biogerontology is where you grab some short-lived critters, watch them age and die over time, and try to intervene, and then nobody knows what the result might mean for humans.  Regenerative medicine is where you try to grow replacement parts, inside or outside the body, and nobody knows how to get that to work in a way that's useful for patients. 

So, you might pick up from my tone, that I would view humanity's overall level of capability in either of these fields as being rather low.  I mean, obviously it is.  If it wasn't then we would have figured out what to do about your and my aging, by definition.  And that has consequences for how to go about studying them.  Since nobody knows how to make biogerontology relevant to humans, or to get regenerative medicine to work at all, then means that whatever you can learn from reading books or taking classes is at least equally limited.  People who advocate applications in these fields are necessarily peddling hypotheses, rather than facts, because there aren't very many facts known.  This runs some risk of actively misleading you (e.g. see the debates in Sci Am from the turn of last century, about whether powered flight requires feathers or flapping, while 2 kids in a basement with no access to external capital where unboxing massive metal objects).  

So I think you're already on the right track with studying biological principles, (and not any particular hypothetical applications).  If you can deepen and broaden that, you'll be in the best position to figure out applications that can be had.  

And yes, I think it's absolutely critical to get access to test "subjects" (biogerontology) or a lab (regenerative medicine).  Theoretical study in a vacuum takes you only so far.  In an early-stage field like these, breakthoughs don't come from theoretical reasoning, because there isn't enough stuff known to reason with.  Breakthroughs come from doing stuff, and paying careful attention to what happens.   There are some ideas about how to do science without massive financial backing scattered around Longecity and the Internet at large.  It can be done, although the people who do this well are still precious few.  "Diy biology" "biohacker spaces"  and things like that are good search terms.  

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 erzebet

• 195 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

In order to get a more in-depth knowledge of biogerontology you need to gather practical day-to-day experience. Try to volunteer in a nursing home and get an internship in a lab at the same time. Only after that will your literature review make some sense.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: biogerontology, aging, education, immersion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users