Can Nizoral Shampoo Long Term?

nizoral shampoo hair loss

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenicis

• 339 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

Looking to prevent further hair loss and am wondering if it's ok to use nizoral long term for this? Also is using a pea sized amnount for like 5 min once every three or four days enough?

Edited by Phoenicis, 12 June 2014 - 04:21 PM.

#2 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

Ketoconazole is among the most popular systemic antifungals, and there's a number of studies on very high oral doses in humans. It does block testosterone synthesis, which accounts for the gynecomastia and reduced libido in the linked study. Absorbed doses from limited topical applications are trivial by comparison.

Personally, I've used Nizoral for dandruff weekly for a decade. Nothing else works as well. I moved on to a 2% ketoconazole shampoo from Thailand while the U.S. production was halted (a factory move) last year.

Edited by Darryl, 12 June 2014 - 08:10 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

I've used Nizoral for years.  I don't see any problem with it.  IMHO, a pea sized amount isn't going to do anything.  Use enough to make a decent lather, and leave it on for at least a few minutes.  The amount of systemic exposure to ketoconazole that you'll get from the shampoo is negligible compared to the oral doses that are commonly used, so any side effects from large oral doses are essentially irrelevant to topical use.  The only problem I've ever heard of, although I've not experienced it myself, is that it might be drying or irritating for some people.  If that's the case, use it less often.

#4 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:29 AM

I've probably used it for over a decade, as I have seborrhea, so use the prescription version for non-hair loss reasons. I wouldn't expect any real problems from using it. As stated, a pea sized amount won't do much (nor even wash your hair). Every 2-3 days probably would be fine. And yeah, if you use it too much it can really dry your hair and scalp.

There is also a foam version, by the way, but not so sure how well that'd work on the scalp, especially if used a lot (I've only used it sparingly on the face). You'd need a prescription for it though.

Sebamed makes a scalp shampoo that is also decent (no idea if it actually works to prevent hair loss, but it does help with seborrhea). I got it primarily because I didn't want to order from Europe to get their anti-dandruff shampoo, and their regular shampoo has a fragrance that smells like someone spilled a bottle of cologne in the bottle. It has Piroctone Olamine, which is another antifungal, and seem to recall it being mentioned for hair loss too.

Edited by nameless, 13 June 2014 - 12:31 AM.

• Informative x 1

#5 Heyman

• 207 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:28 AM

I use it as well. There are some studies (from Nizoral companies sometimes though) that suggest it might halt hair loss, but if it is enough I am not sure. If you are too scared about the other options, its sure better than nothing and you got some chance at least.

#6 Phoenicis

• Topic Starter
  • 339 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

I actually also supplement indian gooseberry powder mixed with green tea extract. The indian gooseberry was found in a rat study to work nearly as well as finisteride and without the side effects. ECGC should also reduce sex hormones, but nizoral is the only treatment I find acceptable for side effects. 

Edited by Phoenicis, 13 June 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#7 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:19 AM

It is my understanding you should use the 2%, which is by prescription, but you can buy from international pharm such as alldaychemist I have used the 2% for years just in the crown, which is my only problem area, a pea size works fine there for me. Does it work? I don't know. I have not lost any noticable hair since starting to use it, but I also use 5% minoxidil as I suspect most everyone else that uses 2% niz does. And I take about 3mg fin a week.

Edited by JohnD60, 16 June 2014 - 06:20 AM.

#8 gt35r

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Are yo guys using this to prevent hairless and/ir prevent hair line recession?

I am 25, no hair loss and I have a family history of good hair retention but i was wondering if there was anything I could do to help prevent hair loss either way. 

Earlier I was thinking about doing minoxidil at a low dose for short periods of time to keep follicles stimulated; I am not considering any of this right now but in terms of a few years down the line.

Any suggestions?

#9 twinkly

• 73 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

Adding to gt35r's post, is usage of this shampoo appropriate for people who haven't had any signs of hair loss? 

#10 Heyman

• 207 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:50 PM

Are yo guys using this to prevent hairless and/ir prevent hair line recession?

I am 25, no hair loss and I have a family history of good hair retention but i was wondering if there was anything I could do to help prevent hair loss either way. 

Earlier I was thinking about doing minoxidil at a low dose for short periods of time to keep follicles stimulated; I am not considering any of this right now but in terms of a few years down the line.

Any suggestions?

Nizoral seems to be fine to use e.g. 2 times a week. Will keep dandruff away and you have to use some kind of shampoo anyway while showering. Minoxidil seems not to help long-term, e.g. it stimulates hair growth initially but does not interfere with the "true" hair loss chain - you can offset your hair loss by lets say 2 years, but from then on it will continue the way it used to, only offset by some time. Nizoral or Fin might help for a longer time.

Edited by Heyman, 12 July 2014 - 09:51 PM.

#11 gt35r

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

Why would Nizoral, an anti fungal shampoo, help prevent hair loss and/or receding hair line?

Edited by gt35r, 12 July 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:22 PM

Why would Nizoral, an anti fungal shampoo, help prevent hair loss and/or receding hair line?

The active ingredient is ketoconazole, which is said to be a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor.  This would result in a lower level of DHT in the scalp, which should result in less hair loss.  It's been shown to be effective in small human trials.

#13 gt35r

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:39 PM

Interesitng, would you recommend someone to begin using it at a low dose at the age of 25 if they have not yet seen hair loss occur.

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:10 AM

Interesitng, would you recommend someone to begin using it at a low dose at the age of 25 if they have not yet seen hair loss occur.

It probably wouldn't hurt.  The worst outcome, I'd think, would be dry skin.  If you used the regular over-the-counter 1% version a few times a week, it should keep dandruff away, if nothing else.  That's what I do- it's the shampoo I keep in my gym bag, so if I make it to the gym three times in a week that's how much I use it.  I've used it for a long time, and don't know if it's "working" or not, since I'm an N=1 experiment with no control.    Here's a blog post that talks about a controlled experiment.

#15 cuprous

• 170 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

Adding my own $0.02.. 36 years old, started using it a couple years ago when I started to notice thinning at the front.  I'm pretty much positive it not only stopped further loss but returned thickness to pre-thinning levels.  As niner and others have stated, there's likely to be no reason not to use it here and there.  

Whether or not there is such a thing as "hair loss itch," I did notice that whatever scalp itch I had completely went away with nizoral use.  I've read on other forums that folks associate itching with hair loss in progress.   There has to be at least a kernel of truth to it.   Itching would imply inflammation which can't be helpful to hair follicles.

• like x 1

#16 Dallasboy

• 47 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

Adding my own $0.02.. 36 years old, started using it a couple years ago when I started to notice thinning at the front. I'm pretty much positive it not only stopped further loss but returned thickness to pre-thinning levels. As niner and others have stated, there's likely to be no reason not to use it here and there.

Whether or not there is such a thing as "hair loss itch," I did notice that whatever scalp itch I had completely went away with nizoral use. I've read on other forums that folks associate itching with hair loss in progress. There has to be at least a kernel of truth to it. Itching would imply inflammation which can't be helpful to hair follicles.

How many days a week do use it? 1 or 2%?

#17 cuprous

• 170 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

Adding my own $0.02.. 36 years old, started using it a couple years ago when I started to notice thinning at the front. I'm pretty much positive it not only stopped further loss but returned thickness to pre-thinning levels. As niner and others have stated, there's likely to be no reason not to use it here and there.

Whether or not there is such a thing as "hair loss itch," I did notice that whatever scalp itch I had completely went away with nizoral use. I've read on other forums that folks associate itching with hair loss in progress. There has to be at least a kernel of truth to it. Itching would imply inflammation which can't be helpful to hair follicles.

How many days a week do use it? 1 or 2%?

1% although I've used 2% as well.  Twice a week or thereabouts.  

#18 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

I also use ketoconazol shampoo 2 3 x a week as I think it helps. I also use piroctone olamine shampoo which has similar results according to pubmed research...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nizoral, shampoo, hair, loss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users