- - - - -

Is there a good All-in-one out there?

allinone

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Steven Hansen

• 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

Looking into health, there's a LOT of things you could take - I mean there's hundreds of herbs, supplements, vitamins, nutrients, minerals, and more that can aid our body. My question is - Has anyone tackled trying to make a complete multi-vitamin-supplement that has much of what a person could use? Even if it were 6 pills a day of 2-3 products, it'd be better than having 20 products.

I will be using myself as the example, but a lot are bound to have the fast-food, microwave diet I have.

Examples of things I believe would benefit me or what I do not get enough of - This is something I'm looking for, so if a company has made a mix similar to this, or if I could buy very few products to achieve many of these, let me know!

Beta Carotene ( NOT vitamin A - it's a bad choice when companies choose this instead )

Vitamin D - Something like 2000 IU - So even if a person does get enough sun, it wouldn't harm anyone - but could help major deficit.

Fish or Krill oil - Specifically high in Omega 3's, as the average person get's far too much 6 and doesn't balance it out.

B-Vitamins - A good mix of bio-available versions of some commonly lacking B-vitamins ( Methylcobolamin rather than Cyanocobolamin, for instance. )

Magnesium - Most of us could use this

Zinc - 5-10mg

Royal Jelly/Bee pollen/Propolis - Just proportedly good stuff - Anti bacterial, inflammatory, and fungal. High in nutrients

Ubiquonol - Just heard a lot of good about it, and that you can't get 100% enough from your diet.

Vitamin K2 - Average person does not eat enough greens, if at all.

Probiotics - Even if we do eat dairy, it depends on what is added, not to mention what can survive our stomach acid - Putting this in with other things might not work, so if you know a good one let me know.

Amino Acid Complex - Lysine, Theanine, Tyrosine, Carnitine, Tryptophan, etc. ( Would phenylalanine be too much? )

A healthy form of soluble fiber - Daily fiber is missing in mine/many diets - This with probiotics would likely cause a much healthier gut situation?

Turmeric/Curcumin - Just some dang good stuff.

Anyways, if I am missing things, added too much, or anything let me know. I would very much like to be able to take many of these with the least products possible - I realize no one is likely to mix some of these, so I know I won't find most in one pill.

#2 bitcoinisthefuture

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:45 PM

AOR Ortho-core will be your best bet I think

• Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:43 AM

Not sure if 1 particular supplement does an 'all in 1'

I find almost all multis lack enough calcium

I find most multis use synthetic forms of vitamins in particular Folic acid over Folate which I take issue with

I also find most multis do not or have very little Vitamin D3 and K2

AOR Ortho Core is good but still lacks a decent amount of calcium. Certainly has more than most though

You still need to take 6 pills a day and 1 bottle lasts 30 days

I personally do

Garden of Life Multi (has 240 capsules, I take 2 instead of 4 per day to stretch it out)

Life Extension super K2 (1 a day)

Jarrows Ultra Bone Up (4 a day) This is great for calcium, magnesium and zinc as well as other minerals)

Vitamin D3 10000 IU (take 3 times a week) or if 5000IU take every day) <- My winter season dosages. Halve again for Summer

A high strength fish oil with 500mg DHA or more

That's 8-9 a day and actually works out far cheaper and you get higher doses than getting an 'all in one'. It's also easier to manage various aspects of specific parts. For example, if I ate (or plan to) a lot of yoghurt and cheese, I can reduce the calcium supplement. If I was going to get lots of sunlight, I can put off the Vitamin D or if I knew I was going to eat many good foods during the day, put off some of the multi.

The good thing about the Garden of Life multi is it comes with 240 capsules but taking half the amount still gets you decent amounts of the vitamins and minerals (and also because taking the Ultra Bone Up). So 1 bottle can last 4 months as opposed to 1 month on AOR (if taking 6 per day) which looks like you need to if you want to get a decent dosage of what's in it

Also it's difficult to find an 'all in 1' because some nutrients are better taken on an empty stomach. Some nutrients only with food. Others (like Iron and Calcium) should not be taken together (Men should not take extra Iron unless a doctor says so).

Another thing I will add but that you must take with caution, is Potassium. I have not found a single shop or chemist that will sell this on its own here in Oz (probably because you can kill yourself or make yourself very sick). But when I am on a ketogenic diet, I may be lucky to get a fraction of my daily requirement of this. I bought a powder online and I put a very small amount in my food over the day that would be no more potassium than what would be in 2-3 bananas. The RDI is around 4-5 grams. You wont find a supplement that has more than 99mg per serving, (although my powder at 1/8th teaspoon would be a little more).

Edited by shifter, 09 June 2017 - 04:56 AM.

• Informative x 1

#4 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:51 AM

Beta Carotene ( NOT vitamin A - it's a bad choice when companies choose this instead )

Funny. I try to avoid beta-carotene as much as I can and consider that a bad choice in multies. One reason being: up to 50% of the population can't convert it to preformed vitamin A. Testing my serum retinol levels confirmed I'm one of them. Still only slowly increased my vitamin A intake, interestingly after reaching 25.000 IU/d my frequent psoriasis outbreaks are no more. Serum levels remained mediocre despite.

I find almost all multis lack enough calcium

Again funny. Because of CVD I try calcium as much as I can. In fact, I need about 4 times as much magnesium just to avoid pain-full muscle-cramps. RBC Mg remained deficient despite supplementing that much all these years.

Another thing I will add but that you must take with caution, is Potassium.

Against muscle-cramp,s beside 2.5 g Mg, I found 2.5 g Na and 2.5 g K very beneficial. Always use Potassium as powder (bicarbonate, citrate, chloride..) well dissolved in water spread out over the day. My lab test show I'm fine with K, but still deficient with Na.

All of this illustrates how difficult it is to produce a good all-in-one, since manufacturers have to find the equal ground between so many completely bio-chemical individualities.

I use LEF's inexpensive Two-per-day capsules at a fraction, an add individually of all what's needed more.

• Informative x 1

#5 mccoy

• 162 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:34 AM

I use LEF's inexpensive Two-per-day capsules at a fraction, an add individually of all what's needed more.

At a fraction of what? Of Cost, or of the suggested dosage?

#6 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:47 PM

At a fraction of what? Of Cost, or of the suggested dosage?

Funny misunderstanding. As written, I add individually what's missing - how could cost ever by missing? :unsure:

Edited by pamojja, 01 July 2017 - 12:49 PM.

#7 mccoy

• 162 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:54 AM

pamojia, I'm not an English mother tongue but usually the sentence 'at a fraction of ...' means 'at a lower numerical value than', so it might have been 'at a fraction of the cost of other supplements' for example to drive home the point that they are inexpensive. Or at 'at a fraction of the suggested dosage of 2 capsules per day', since some values are well above RDA's.

This should be judged by mother tongue members though, I may well be wrong.

Anyways, I bought LEF 2 per day for my wife, it seems a really good formula with folate, boron and more.  Have you had a chance to compare LEF 2xday to Pure Encapsulation all in one, which some (like Rhonda Patrick) think is the best  available (but expensive!).

I wonder about some of the values in LEF which are just below the literature upper tolerable limits, in your opinion values those dosages well above RDA may have some negative effects (I mean, beta carotene and other vitamins)?

Calcium of course cannot be included in these formulas since it is bulky. Since when I'm experimenting with a vegan diet I'm taking Ca supplements, what do you suggest with a good price/quality ratio?

And besides, which  Iron supplements would you take, which are not included in the LEF formula. Best if not massive dosages though, I'm aware of the problems related to excessive serum iron and ferritin.

Edited by mccoy, 02 July 2017 - 05:57 AM.

#8 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:26 AM

Not native English speaker as well. Always try to write and read with context.

Personally didn't experience negative effects from nutrients above the RDA - with the exception of zinc above 60 mg/d (slight headache). However, the reason to supplement for me are a number of serious health problems which do need mega-doses, told in this post. PureEncapsulation's would be an utter waste for me. But everyone is different.

My opinions on covering the bases told in this other post. Been vegetarian since age 10. Low serum calcium was corrected with vitamin D3 in my case. Rather try to avoid calcium due to my condition.

And besides, which  Iron supplements would you take, which are not included in the LEF formula.

Tried different ones, only betain-hcl did finally raise it.

Edited by pamojja, 02 July 2017 - 10:20 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#9 Kinesis

• 262 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:22 AM

Have you looked into Life Extension’s multi? Their Life Extension Mix and Health Booster are basically a two part comprehensive multiple with the things that work better in a softgel put in the latter. I only take half the label amount with a few other things like ALA-EPA-DHA but it greatly simplifies my supplement regimen, Been doing so for at least twenty years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users