• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Why does Magnesium Malate come in such high dose tablets?

magnesium cellular health

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

Because so many people here claim Magnesium Malate is better than Magnesium citrate, I thought I might give it a try. 

However I cannot seen to find any formula that has pills less than 1 gram per dosage. 

Why is that? Does one need a higher amount of the malate form to match a 400 mg mag citrate dose? 

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Are you looking at the elemental Mg content, or the weight of the Mg, the malate, and any possible waters of hydration?  I suspect it's the later.  The standard is to report micronutrients as elemental, but occasionally some flakey outfit will do it the other way, which might make the pill seem "stronger" to the typical consumer.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:07 AM

Are you looking at the elemental Mg content, or the weight of the Mg, the malate, and any possible waters of hydration?  I suspect it's the later.  The standard is to report micronutrients as elemental, but occasionally some flakey outfit will do it the other way, which might make the pill seem "stronger" to the typical consumer.

I was actually looking at the front label. 

I just bought some Magnesium Malate from Source naturals and I think I have an understanding of what the label is saying.

The front label says 1250 mgs right?

The back label apparently says that this is the amount found in the malic acid (as mag malate).

It's a little confusing, but I 'think' the magnesium dose is actually 425 mgs.

Supplement Facts

Serving Size 3 Tablets

Servings Per Container 60

Amount Per Serving %Daily Value Calories 10   Total Carbohydrate 3 g 1%* Magnesium (as magnesium malate) 425 mg 106% Sodium 5 mg <1% Malic acid (as magnesium malateand malic acid) 2.5 g †

*Percent Daily Values (%DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

†Daily Value not established.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:36 AM

OK, that's really strange.  It sounds like they are saying that there's 425mg of Magnesium malate, and a total of 2.5 grams of malic acid, which means that there's a substantial excess of malic acid.    It looks like this is almost what you're looking at.  They say that malic acid is an important Krebs cycle intermediate... ok, whatever.  What a bizarre formulation.  In the FAQ at that link, they also say that mag malate helps you excrete aluminum.  That's a plus, if true.

If it's really 425mg of magnesium malate, then it's only 66mg elemental magnesium.  That's a ridiculously small amount considering the number of caps they want you to take, and the price.  Someone should yell at them about their "unconventional" labeling practices.   If it's elemental, they should say so.

#5 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:37 AM

OK, that's really strange.  It sounds like they are saying that there's 425mg of Magnesium malate, and a total of 2.5 grams of malic acid, which means that there's a substantial excess of malic acid.    It looks like this is almost what you're looking at.  They say that malic acid is an important Krebs cycle intermediate... ok, whatever.  What a bizarre formulation.  In the FAQ at that link, they also say that mag malate helps you excrete aluminum.  That's a plus, if true.

If it's really 425mg of magnesium malate, then it's only 66mg elemental magnesium.  That's a ridiculously small amount considering the number of caps they want you to take, and the price.  Someone should yell at them about their "unconventional" labeling practices.   If it's elemental, they should say so.

It is three pills per serving.

Edited by Gerrans, 19 June 2014 - 07:43 AM.

#6 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:28 PM

I think I am going to call the company and find out more info. Maybe I should have stuck with magnesium citrate. 

#7 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:30 PM

It says the DV is 108% so I assume it must be elemental Magnesium. As a matter of fact Malate and citrate are almost equal elementally I thought? 

#8 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:32 AM

Yea I think regulations state that the amount of absorbed mineral (for the minerals intended purposes) must be the DV% of what is stated on the label, and at that point if it is not, then it is in violation of regulations. I hardly think a reputable company like Source naturals would label something at 109% DV if in reality they are only providing something like 18% DV. 

What do you think of that assessment Niner? 

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

Yea I think regulations state that the amount of absorbed mineral (for the minerals intended purposes) must be the DV% of what is stated on the label, and at that point if it is not, then it is in violation of regulations. I hardly think a reputable company like Source naturals would label something at 109% DV if in reality they are only providing something like 18% DV. 

Yeah, I think you're right.  The DV is a specific amount, depending on the micronutrient.  For Mg, the DV is 400mg.  400mg * 1.06 = 424mg, which is pretty close to 425mg.  So the meaning of their obfuscated label must be 425 mg Mg (elemental), from Magnesium Malate.  If you have a decent diet, you might only want one or two of those.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:25 AM

Yeah, I think you're right.  The DV is a specific amount, depending on the micronutrient.  For Mg, the DV is 400mg.  400mg * 1.06 = 424mg, which is pretty close to 425mg.  So the meaning of their obfuscated label must be 425 mg Mg (elemental), from Magnesium Malate.  If you have a decent diet, you might only want one or two of those.

The whole reason I even wanted to try malate is I heard it causes less gatrointestinal distress. I think I have experienced vague, mild symptoms of that lately. So I want to move on to a form that is less prone to this side effect and see if that was what was causing it. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magnesium, cellular health

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users