- - - - -

Online games to evaluate nootropic performance

evaluate games

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pi-

• 73 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

There doesn't seem to exist any centralised comparison mechanism for Nootropics.

But I don't think it would be particularly difficult to do.

I am imagining some website that contains a dozen training games that test various brain functions.

Users of this community could collectively create a measure of the effectiveness of various nootropics on various skills. Stacks could be tested by removing one item at a time. Individuals could start by taking the test, isolate deficiencies, and choosing an appropriate stack to remedy.

It is extremely easy to construct such training games (I often work as a computer games programmer) -- the harder task would be managing the data.

But maybe there already exists some suitable setup?  For example, cambridgebrainsciences (I can't yet post links, sorry)

Without a solid metric, we must all surely be flying blind; I've been reading forum posts all morning, and at some point I'm just going to have to order in a dozen compounds and experiment.

I don't know how many active experimenters there are in this community, but I am guessing we are enough to generate meaningful scientific data.

#2 aiojou

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

So you are suggesting to make a website just to test the function of certain stacks?

would you be getting training game ideas from sites such as cambridgebrainsciences, lumosity, and other brain training sites?

How would the brain functionality be recorded? Would the user need neuroptimal or some other device, that I've seen of bulletproof?

it would be a bit hard to manage the data. It would be a HUGE amount and would need to be organized in such a way that the user could find their results, compare with other users, record where they were in the past and present and so on...

but an interesting topic indeed!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#3 pi-

• Topic Starter
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

The games would isolate and test specific abilities. Let me give some examples:

1. The first example game I played on the cambridgebrainsciences site: take N cards, one side is blank, the other contains a number (1 to N, unique). Scatter them on the table, numbers side up. Allow a few seconds for memorising. Now flip them, and the user has to click them in ascending order. If success, onto level N+1. If failure, back to level N-1 and lose a life. Start with three lives. Record the maximum score before lives hits zero.

2. "Simon Says" type game: 4 coloured buttons each making their own note. A length-N sequence is played through them and the user must key it back.

3. Reaction test

4. Solving a maze

5. Kim's game: N random objects presented on screen (sunflower, vacuum cleaner, budgerigar, etc).  Screen is cleared, one object is taken away, at the remaining N-1 get presented. User has to remember which one was missing.

6. Recognising faces

7. Solving Sodoku

8. Classic IQ test type problems, spatial manipulation, pattern recognition

9. WhackAMole style concentration test.

10. Classical autism tests, like an animation with two triangles and multiple-choice to guess the scene they are enacting (mother and child playing, prisoner and guard, stalking, etc)

Etc etc. I'm pulling this out of the top of my head. But I'm sure cognitive scientists have devised and categorised such tests very thoroughly.

Be important thing is that each game targets specific skill, and produces a single metric/score.

My thought would be to simply create a website with the tests, where someone can login, take tests, and have their result data recorded. They could also fill in a paragraph containing pertinent information, like what compound/stack they are experimenting with. And this data would be publicly available.

This way processing the data would be completely separated from acquiring the data.

So say a researcher (someone on this forum maybe) wishes to perform an experiment (say the effect of piracetam on short term memory retention) with 20 subjects (other users of the forum who have access to piracetam, this could be coordinated in the forum). He can just get them to take tests numbers 12, 17 and 25 (which test short term memory retention, let's say) putting in "XYZ123" into their "test reference" textbox field. Then the next day he could just pull out all records matching "XYZ123" and do his analysis.

Alternatively one user could track their own performance on a couple of games as they try different compounds.

Community members could contribute new games, maybe.

#4 vLondon

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

I use lumosity to test how well I'm progressing with my stacks :P

The website has a lot of what you suggested, so it's worth checking out.

Obviously some of the games get repetitive over time, but they release new games to keep it useful.

It also ranks you within your age group, but I don't think it's a good indicator.

Screen_Shot_2014_06_24_at_00_44_52.jpg

EDIT: I only started over a month ago. Still have problems with my memory  :sad:

Edited by vLondon, 23 June 2014 - 11:57 PM.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#5 aiojou

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

ah! So would you say it's worth the money? I would like to try a full version...but since it charges all payments at once and I'm a college student..lol I have priorities. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users