- - - - -

A question about Retin A and retinols

retinol

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Qowpel

• 355 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:06 AM

Hello there. I am aware that retin A (retinoic acid), helps to inhibit the breakdown of your existing collagen. However, using retin A has given me large pores on my face... I never had them before this. So I was wanting to stop using it, and use an OTC retinol product, but I am unsure if retinol products (after they convert finally, to retinoic acid, are proven to or at least likely to help stop the breakdown of collagen)  I believe my pores are larger now due to the top layer of skin being taken off by retin A nightly. My diet is in check and I also use zinc oxide sunscreen and avoid sun ALOT............ The thing is I want to wait a few months not being on retin A, in order to build up my epidermis again, but even then, I will be losing Retin A's ability to inhibit the breakdown of my existing collegen.......... maybe should I cut it down to twic a week (and even if I use retin A twice a week, would that be frequent enough to be always giving me that innate ability of the substance itself, to not have my collagen breakdown? Or would this only last only only the nights directly after my Retin A use?

Any suggestions? I'm lost and quite mad...........Is the ability of Retin A to stop the breakdown of collagen even significant?

#2 gt35r

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

I was not aware that retinoic acid/ tretnoin prevented collagen break down I thought it improved overall collagen and elastin turn over; if anything this tells me that collagen break down may actually increase due to remodeling but the net collagen output overall is up.

I would say if retinoic acid (tretnoin) is not working to you favor you should just Reintol; retinol is considered effective though to a less degree. I would also recommend you look into tazorac and/ or adalapene (sp?). These are also retinoids but have a more specific mechanism rather then tretnoin's broad activity. Tazorac is considered more irritating by many but some people appreciate it more than other retinoids.

If you find retinol to your liking then I would go ahead and use it; it is effective as for collagen production.

Also can you state how long you have been using Retina-A, dose, quantity, and your overall health and age. 

Retinoids can have transient side effects that can manifest for 2-4 weeks but then go away. Remember, retinoid generally take anywhere rom 8 - 12 weeks to see results.  

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Reincarnatian

• 28 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

http://archderm.jama...rticleid=412795

Wait with the retin a, and try normal retinal palmiate/acetate serums.
Less is more specially in skin care. 

#4 gt35r

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:36 AM

why not just use tretinoin to begin with?

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:09 AM

why not just use tretinoin to begin with?

Tretinoin is too harsh for some people, and retinol is too weak.  There is an intermediate form called retinal, with the trade nane "Retrinal", that is of intermediate strength.  It might be a good way to work up to retinoic acid if you have sensitive skin. .  I think Retrinal is by Avene.

#6 gt35r

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:29 AM

Tretinoin may have caused issue for me in the past but not for more than a few weeks. 

#7 Clacksberg

• 138 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

A few years ago i tried Tretinoin at 0.05 and then 0.1%. after 6 months it seemed to make fine wrinkles worse (like mentioned here due to drying) so i gave up. Skin needling and an occlusive seems much better here.

Edited by Cactus Fastback, 24 July 2014 - 11:35 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: retinol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users