life

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Florian Xavier

• 242 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

possible ?

would be awesome. Like a cheat code.

Edited by Florian Xavier, 03 July 2014 - 05:30 PM.

#2 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

Being on general anesthesia do not prevents you from dying if this is what you ask.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Florian Xavier

• Topic Starter
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

nah but it prevent injuries, fatal incidents, futile pain.

#4 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

You may prevent injures and incidents on another ways. If you live 50 years in a sleep, you will loose 50 years of counscious life. 50 years less to make familly, to raise children, or to generate wealth, or even to fight against your own aging ;) Better do not cross the street on a red light and do exercises to live longer.

#5 Florian Xavier

• Topic Starter
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

50 years less to make familly, to raise children, or to generate wealth, or even to fight against your own aging

this is the point too, these things are nobles but futiles too.

oh god i would love a ga of 50+ years..ready to pay 70k $ for it. Even more.

Edited by Florian Xavier, 03 July 2014 - 06:20 PM.

#6 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

Why do you think that they are futiles?

To tell the trueth, I do not know why you are so keen of sleeping for 50 years. If we assume, that you are 20 years old + 50 in general anestesia = you will wake up 70 years old. So ... you will fall asleep and you will woke up 70 years old wreck. What makes you to be so keen of it?

#7 Florian Xavier

• Topic Starter
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

Because there is 10% chance that artificial intelligence solve all the problems including health problems.

So it's better to just skip to 80 years old and if science has fail then you die it's ok.

a little selfish i know.... but i have a lust for this.

Edited by Florian Xavier, 03 July 2014 - 06:41 PM.

#8 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

So, you are ready to sacrifice yourself for 10% chance of lets call it success and 90% chance of failure.

Have you been thinking about skiping to 80 years by enjoying life, or by collecting enough money to use the solutions of the problems by the artificial intelligence? How about if you wake up old and unable to use the solutions made by the AI because you do not have enough money?

You think that it is selfish to destroy 50 years of your own life :laugh: I really can't understand you Florian.

#9 Florian Xavier

• Topic Starter
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

i destroy 50 years of boredom, degeneration etc

How about if you wake up old and unable to use the solutions made by the AI because you do not have enough money?

if it's not free i die. Plus i can have money with bank interests actually.

Edited by Florian Xavier, 03 July 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#10 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

You seem to be a very determined for 50 years of general anaesthesia. You take too many risks, according to me. Lets hope, that you have considered all when taking your decision.

Banks are very relative thing. They bankrupt for example. The interest % are dynamic - they already started to fall all over the world. In some countries they are now (2014 year) smaller than the inflation % which means, that people in these countries are loosing, not gainig from holding their money in a bank. If you have for example 1% interest rate and 2% healthy inflation, then after an year you will have 1% - 2% = -1% of the purchasing cappability of your money. Such country is the US as far as I know.

#11 Florian Xavier

• Topic Starter
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

anyway if it's possible i'm happy to sign up. Thanks for the bank infos.

#12 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

Your determination can be compared with those of the religious extremists :laugh:

fmilly : sacrificed
children : sacrificed
wealth : sacrificed
enjoying life : sacrificed

going in in case of correlation success/failure = 10% / 90%
agree to take the risk of having not enough to retain your life after the wake up
ready to risk with the banks

ready to die in case of failure

ready to pay 70 000 + dollars

Did I miss something else?

#13 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

There is something called "sedation" in the medicine. Doctors place a general anesthetic medication in a system, that automatically delivers certain amounths of the medications and the patient is under constant monitoring. Some conditions require several days of sedation. Michael Schumacher stayed for 3 months !!!! in a sedation. So maybe your topic is more apropriate to be "Being on sedation for 50 years".

To say the true I am not sure if the sedation can be prolonged 50 years !!! Never thought about that.

This means quite a long usage of medications and medical care, which is expensive. Who and how will pay it?

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

Florian, it sounds like you are depressed.  Your desire to leave the conscious world is indicative of a situation that you should talk to a counselor about.  As for the mechanics and cost of this long term anesthesia / sedation scheme, the cost for 50 years would be in the millions, not thousands, and you would very likely die long before 50 years was up.  You'd be lucky to live more than a couple years.  You would have to be tube-fed, and your muscles and bones would waste away.

• like x 1

#15 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

Plus other risks. Because of the long time tube in the trachea respiratory infections appear, decubital wounds from being in a bed for a long time, catheter must be placed and uro-genital infections may happen too (from periodic long time catheterisation).

#16 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:29 PM

Florian, Your risk of death in this state would actully be considerably greater that if you were conscious and simply led a careful life.

I suspect that Niners comment is probably true. There is no reason not to have both, a life and family followed by an extended future. If life is not so great for you now, why do you think it will be any better in the future? You have to make your life good.

#17 Florian Xavier

• Topic Starter
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:59 PM

I'm not depressed at all.

It's just that family blabla are things doomed to jump in the void, and it's not that agreable, oh no it isn't. And i already lived these things for years. It's gettng very old.

The next 50 years will be boring at the very best, so the idea of living it with ga is a logical one. If a surgeon want to cut me open i want a ga before, pure logic nah ?

And stop making a diagnosis of depression every sentence that don't go to your logic, it's an internet thing that become stupid.

Edited by Florian Xavier, 03 July 2014 - 11:08 PM.

#18 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:00 AM

So ... you are bored ... so to say.

#19 Florian Xavier

• Topic Starter
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:24 AM

it's just that the next 50 years will not be paradise and it will be futile.

#20 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:29 AM

Boring?  Yeah, the Singularity, the post-human future, revolutions in biotech, materials, energy, physics, the near-defeat of aging and most disease, space exploration etc sounds like a real drag.  Yawn... Wake me when it's over.

• Agree x 1

#21 Florian Xavier

• Topic Starter
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:39 AM

no i mean, wake me when it start.

#22 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

Florian, you are the first sedation maniak that I know of :-D There is nothing else to say than "Sleep well"

#23 AlSameesh

• 9 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

this is really dumb. im pretty sure OP is trolling

#24 Florian Xavier

• Topic Starter
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

absolutely not.

#25 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

Reminds me of the movie 'Click'. Florian, get this movie, you'll love it.

#26 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

The cheapest sedation should be in the countries with the cheapest medical care as general.

Staying for 50 years in a sedation will be something that should be at least registered in terms of medical science. Maybe a case report will be written for you :laugh:

There is a story about Rip Van Winkle who was sleeping for 20 years http://en.wikipedia..../Rip_Van_Winkle It will be shame if you do not be memorised with some sort of a folk story for your 50 years :laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:  

If you aske me, I would be mostly curious about will you still have a brain after 50 years of medicating with medications for general anaesthesia :laugh:

#27 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

no i mean, wake me when it start.

Who's going to start it, if not you?  You'll wake up just to find that the popular press is still peddling the same biotech "breakthroughs" as new that they do today and that they did in 1970.  People will look back to a time when we were still able to put satellites in orbit the way we now look back to going to the moon.  The Dow will be at a million as the working class in rich countries spends all their waking time staring at iGadgets produced by offshore slaves.  The Singularity will still be just around the corner.  You know it.  Now get over that depression of yours, and get to work fixing it.  

#28 Florian Xavier

• Topic Starter
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

I don't think you understand the concept of risks.

See it as a trade-off : i don't have to wake up every morning until i'm 75, and if my plan go wrong for whatever reason i die.

much better than living every day and dying

Edited by Florian Xavier, 05 July 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#29 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:02 AM

I've found the answer for you, no drugs required. You could probably even run it at home, set it up to run for say 24 hours, wake for 30 minutes to eat and drink and use the toilet and off you go again.

http://www.newscient...ml#.U7n-s0BXynl

:)

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 corb

• 507 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

Oh dear. :-D

On a "serious" note though, if you sleep for 50 years - as far as I know sedation doesn't lower your metabolism enough for you to stop aging. So if you wake up in 50 years and science has made 0 progress in hard life extension for whatever reasons, you'd be in for a naaaaaasty surprise. :happy:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users