cough syrup and fluvoxamine (Luvox)

interaction drug interaction risk

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dwayde3

• 25 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

I have a really bad cough and am afraid to take cough medicine due to the fact that I'm on fluvoxamine. So has anyone ever taken cough syrup with an ssri? I know you can develop Seretonin Syndrome but is it a small chance or big one? Does the risk outweigh the benifets? Is their something else I can take for the cough?

Thoughts/Answer would be much appreciated!

Edited by Dwayde3, 05 July 2014 - 12:22 PM.

#2 serp777

• 622 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:28 AM

Depends on the dosage of cough syrup. If you are planning on taking 200mg, then you're probably going to have a bad time. 10 mg PROBABLY wont do much, although this would depend on your diet and how much of the SSRI you are taking. It also depends on how long you've taken your ssri and when during the day you took your last dose.  It also depends on your individual genetics. In conclusion, drug interactions are extremely complicated. 

Still I would be concerned with seratonin syndrome and try to keep as minimal dose of cough syrup as you need. 

Also what else is in the cough syrup? Is it pure DXM or is there a bunch of other crap on there as well? 

Edited by serp777, 07 July 2014 - 12:29 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: interaction, drug interaction, risk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users