• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How many people in this forum have a diagnosed mental problem?

brain mental

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: How many people in this forum have a diagnosed mental problem? (76 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you have a diagnosed mental problem?

1. Voted Yes (39 votes [51.32%])

Percentage of vote: 51.32%

2. No (37 votes [48.68%])

Percentage of vote: 48.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

This poll has been updated. Please see this version.

My girlfriend pretends, that the majority of people, who want to be immortal are crazy. I want to controvert her.

So.. please answer the poll.

Edited by cryonicsculture, 03 August 2014 - 02:24 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 6
  • Needs references x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1

#2 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

I have predromal shizophrenia, basicly a bunch of negatives like adhd, ocd, avpd, anhedonia and can more easily get positive symptions on stimulants but that seem to have disappeared.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

ADHD with Dyscalulia and Dysgraphia.

#4 goodman

• 171 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

lol
  • Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1

#5 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

You look very happy today goodman :laugh:

#6 Nootmeup

• 35 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

ADD trying to cure myself

Edited by Nootmeup, 11 July 2014 - 10:57 PM.

#7 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:18 AM

Not everyone here on this forum is a Transhumanist or wants to be immortal.

Just saying

Edited by Flex, 12 July 2014 - 01:19 AM.

• like x 7
  • Needs references x 1
  • Agree x 1

#8 FW900

• 341 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:54 AM

I honestly doubt that anyone's goal here is to live forever. Even "life extension" does not imply immortality. Most people here take supplements, modify their diet, and go through other measures so as they get older, they are not as physically crippled and mentally incapacitated as those who did nothing or lived unhealthily. To combat aging is the goal, not to live forever. It's not crazy or even unreasonable to think like this.

If your girlfriend questions "why" or "what is the point" of life extension.... It's kind of like asking someone why they don't eat at McDonalds or why they don't smoke cigarettes. If your girlfriend disagrees with living healthily, then she is probably crazy.

If there really are people who think that they are going to be immortal they are either deluded or have death anxiety, both are related to mental illnesses.

Also, most of the people on this particular subforum are concerned with cognitive enhancement rather than life extension. As such, there are many people trying to make up for certain mental illnesses with nootropics (ADD/ADHD is a prime example), which means there will disproportionately be more people voting yes than the response group you are looking for to vote would vote. I'm certain if you had posted this in the Supplements subforum, there would have been a drastically lower number of people with voting yes to mental illnesses.

I have do not have a mental illness and I do not think I'll be immortal. Life extension is secondary to cognitive enhancement for me; this personal factoid shows you are polling the wrong group of people.

• Agree x 2
  • Ill informed x 2
  • Unfriendly x 1

#9 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:56 AM

Not everyone here on this forum is a Transhumanist or wants to be immortal.
Just saying

This.

The OP should explain to his girlfriend the differences between individuals afflicted with mental illnesses or mental disorders opposed to "crazy people".

Edited by Metagene, 12 July 2014 - 02:00 AM.

• Unfriendly x 1
  • Agree x 1

#10 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:17 AM

Thank you all for your participation! I hope, that those people, who have mental problems will be able to solve them. I wish you success with the fighting with your conditions! Lets hope, that you will find an usefull information in this forum.

You have given out good points.

So, please lets vote only people, who want to extend their lifes, who are transhumanists, or who want to live forever.

Unfortunately I can not change the poll question or the instructions once the topic was written. So.. please people, those, who voted and who have registered for some another reason, to delete their vote (by pressing the button "Delete My Vote" under the poll). Thanks!

I will explain the differences between individuals afflicted with mental disorders opposed to "crazy people" too :) I simply intend to use the result of the poll as an argument. FW900, I will try also to explain why If someone disagrees with living healthily, then this person is probably crazy.

• Unfriendly x 1

#11 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

So, please lets vote only people, who want to extend their lifes, who are transhumanists, or who want to live forever.

The 3 precondition to vote are optional? For example: only agree to a certain extent with trans-humanism, wouldn't want to live forever, but definitely would want to extend healthy life-span.

#12 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

Yes, in this case vote.

If you want one of the 3 (to extend your life, or transhumanism, or to live forever) vote.

#13 serp777

• 622 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

Mental disorders are WAY over diagnosed, so I don't know what the point of this poll is. 

It makes sense for pharmaceuticals and psychologists to try and diagnose more people; how else are they going to make money? Too much motive and too many stories about loading up kids with ritalin, anti depressants, and anti psychotics. 

• Agree x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 2
  • Good Point x 2
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#14 progress_

• 17 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

My girlfriend pretends, that the majority of people, who want to be immortal are crazy. I want to controvert her.

lol :-D

• dislike x 1

#15 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:00 AM

and you post this question in the crayyyyyyyyziest section of longecity. lol

I love the nootropics section :)
  • like x 1

#16 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:45 AM

I'm just here for the noots. :) I don't want to life forever, and I don't even think I deserve to live forever.

Total diagnoses:

migraine
major depressive w/ ptsd hypervigilance
hyperacusis
auditory processing disorder (likely a slight misdiagnosis, symptoms dead on Asperger)

Make of that what you will, lol.

#17 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

How the average person view's a longecity user's interest in longevity.

• Cheerful x 2
  • like x 2

#18 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

Mental disorders are WAY over diagnosed 

Maybe you are right, but and the opposite exists. Many people, who havemental problems remain undiagnosed.

I'm just here for the noots. :) I don't want to life forever, and I don't even think I deserve to live forever.

Total diagnoses:

migraine
hyperacusis
auditory processing disorder (likely a slight misdiagnosis, symptoms dead on Asperger)

Thank you for the participation! This poll is a bit funny, I agree :)

If you also do not want to live longer and you are not transhumanist do not vote, or remove your vote. I need to vote only people, who are interested in the longevity, immortality, transhumanism and other simmilar topics.

#19 serp777

• 622 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

Mental disorders are WAY over diagnosed 

Maybe you are right, but and the opposite exists. Many people, who havemental problems remain undiagnosed.

Total diagnoses:

migraine
hyperacusis

Thank you for the participation! This poll is a bit funny, I agree :)

If you also do not want to live longer and you are not transhumanist do not vote, or remove your vote. I need to vote only people, who are interested in the longevity, immortality, transhumanism and other simmilar topics.
Then that reflects an even bigger problem with psychology and mental diagnosis. People who have actual mental illness aren't getting enough attention, while people who dont actually have mental illnesses are getting diagnosed. I think poor people are probably the largest undiagnosed group since they dont have good insurance and can't get proper counseling or medication. The system in place right now is horrible and is just guesswork/profiteering. Plus were forgetting that large group of people who have been misdiagnosed.

Edited by serp777, 13 July 2014 - 05:27 PM.

• Agree x 3

#20 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

I haven't thought about that. Maybe because it sounds something like a conspiracy theory.

• Disagree x 1

#21 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

So far 44,44% have diagnosem mental problems.

This is less than the majority, so the majority of the people, who want to be immortal, to live long or to be transhumanists are normal.

I noticesd, that no more votings appear. Does this means, that all who wanted to vote, voted?

#22 vLondon

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

I don't know, there are many theories on whether CFS/ME is a mental illness or not.

I just live in the unknown I guess, only meditation (and noots obv) to guide me.

#23 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

If it is not sure, that this is a disease, then will count you as healthy :)

#24 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

Crazy can manifest in differened ways, shizos I saw in a ward where stupid retards like hahahaha really funny actually, im just crazy in a comical way id say, besides being extremely smart because of my stim abuse lol, true

• Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1

#25 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

The point, that serp777 showed, that there are people who have actual mental illness and remain undiagnosed, and also there are people who dont actually have mental illnesses, but are getting overdiagnosed can't get out of my mind. It can comproment the results of the poll and I do not see a reasonable solution how to overcome it.

#26 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

P.S.

According to my fellow psychiatrist, the fact of undiagnosed cases of people with mental problems is due to the fact, that those undiagnosed people have not seeked medical help and have not been examined from a psychiatrist (because of many factors).

#27 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

Just the fact that everyone would miss me is a motivation for me to be immortal.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#28 revoltingmass

• 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

Mental disorders are WAY over diagnosed, so I don't know what the point of this poll is. 

It makes sense for pharmaceuticals and psychologists to try and diagnose more people; how else are they going to make money? Too much motive and too many stories about loading up kids with ritalin, anti depressants, and anti psychotics. 

There isn't really any way to prove that there is over-diagnosis. I actually believe that the increase in diagnosis is due to the epidemiology of mental illness- it is on the rise, due to cultural change in the past few centuries. And no I don't mean globalization or social liberalism make people CrAzY, I mean that rapidly shifting societies result in expectations that will never be met, that is, mental maps that are inaccurate.

• Agree x 1

#29 goodman

• 171 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

information overflow perhaps

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

There isn't really any way to prove that there is over-diagnosis. I actually believe that the increase in diagnosis is due to the epidemiology of mental illness- it is on the rise, due to cultural change in the past few centuries. And no I don't mean globalization or social liberalism make people CrAzY, I mean that rapidly shifting societies result in expectations that will never be met, that is, mental maps that are inaccurate.

If overdiagnosting is not a problem, then only the existence of undiagnosted cases remain, that may comproment the poll results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users