• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How many people in this forum have a diagnosed mental problem?

brain mental

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: How many people in this forum have a diagnosed mental problem? (76 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you have a diagnosed mental problem?

1. Voted Yes (39 votes [51.32%])

Percentage of vote: 51.32%

2. No (37 votes [48.68%])

Percentage of vote: 48.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Nemo888

• 214 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

There are currently no effective life extension treatments. The best for quality of life are the three classics. Eat nutritious food, exercise regularly and adequate sleep. Most effective supplements are making up for lifestyle deficits in those three areas. Once you do those three they do very little in most cases. I wish it were not so, but the field is still astrology and not yet astronomy.

And yes I still do take some though most have been replaced by more effective lifestyle changes.

Mental health remedies are also reminiscent of a pseudoscience. I was not impressed by the ineffective drugs thrown at soldiers. Seeing friends get worse from treatment is not a good sign.

Edited by Nemo888, 19 July 2014 - 01:47 PM.

• Informative x 1

#32 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

Hi Nemo888 !

Thanks for jooining in the conversation!  

Your post is informative, but it looks like if it goes slightly oftopic. It is a simple question poll. How your post is connected with the percentage of people with mental problems, who show interest in the life prolongation and simmilar topics?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

After some digging in several books of medical statistics, I think, that I found a way to filter the noise, that can be made by the facts of the underdiagnostics or the eventual ovediagnostics of the mental diseases.

It can be done by comapreing the results with the official statistics for the frequency of the mental diseases by using the "zero hypothesis". It is, that if we assume, that the people, who are interested in the topics, connected with the longevity and immortality are just average people, than the frequency of the mental problems among them should be the same or close to the the frequency of the mental problems among the people in the region, where they live. Since this is an internet forum, and people here come from all over the world, I used the official statistics of the WHO for the whole world (18.1–36.1%) that can be found here: http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3039289/ . Since both the people, who are interested and those, who are not, are being equally under- or over- diagnosed, the influence of these two factors is being overcome.

When I compared it, however, it became actually obvious, that the percentage of people with mental problems in this forum is higher than the percentage, shown in the official statistics.

Today is 21.07.2014 and I see, that the people, who answered "Yes" even are getting prevalence at this moment. So, please, all who are healthy vote.

#34 YOLF

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:58 AM

Crazy isn't the same as having a mental problem. ADHD and such don't make one crazy, but perhaps disconnected. You would get a better representation of the forum by posting a new thread in TownHall. Brain health does have quite a bit of activity and will tend to attract more people seeking help and self improvement. 

The actual number of "crazy" individuals is probably pretty low. People who are depressed, have ADHD, or have other problems relating to mental health is probably a little high. It's a very good reason to want to live longer. If you've been trying to be happy and suffering your life, you have more reason IMO to want to live longer so you can eventually find enough happiness to feel good about your life. 

A person who is generally happy and doesn't suffer much might spend a short time of their life feeling bad. Most of their life is good and satisfying. A person who has lifelong depression or similar diseases and who is just learning to live outside of that disease has alot to not be satisfied with and will require a pretty long life to feel as though they escaped. They aren't going to wake up to it in their 20s-30s and suddenly find a reason worth living. They might have kids and have to put it all behind them to concentrate on other things and enjoy the moments they do have, but you'll always yearn to be young and happy and enjoy the best part of your health or the health that wasn't. If you suffer from a long term mental illness, you'll also eventually realize that in raising a family you were only a small portion of the parent or spouse that you could have been had you had a more fulfilling life. A past of mental illness will haunt a person for life. Transhumanism, RLE, Cryonics, future technologies and medicine, these are the things that give people hope for a better and more fulfilling life.

Anyways, if the happy person suffers for 5% of their life and lives for 100 years, 95% of their lifespan is fulfillment. If a depressed person lives for 100 years before cryonics and is mostly depressed, they'll have to live for at least 2000 years before they'll rightly feel equally fulfilled when compared to the man who only lived 100 years. By the time someone has lived 2000 years, the happy lifestyle will very likely be part of them as will living for a long time. So yeah, in the calculus of someone who is suffering and unhappy, indefinite lifespans of perfect youth and health are the way to go and are a very powerful reason to keep living and not consign oneself to oblivion.

• dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#35 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

I know, and I believe, that making ourselves immortal has to be from the highest priority for all sane people.

Why not we together make another, more accurate poll. Lets plan it together, and post it in the Townhall section.

If the result remains the same, then it comes the question, why people with mental problems are the majority of those, who realize, that we have to fight with the aging and have to try to be immortal. What stops the sane people from thinking so?

#36 YOLF

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

First off, many mental illnesses are transient, I don't think there will be many as the transient ones probably wouldn't be looking for such solutions, but we should still have the option. 4/5 adults will experience depression at some point in their lives.

Something like:

"I used to have a mental illness such as depression but I have since recovered"

We should also characterize the type of mental illness. Depression and ADHD for instance don't make people "crazy" while other diseases with delusions and such are typically what is though of as "crazy." Though crazy is kind of derogatory word that we should stay away from.

#37 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

So, we will have to ask "Do you have a diagnosed mental disorder?" Thus will be ble to cpmpare the results with the official world statistics

#38 YOLF

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Ok, but I think it should be followed with "Are you currently experiencing symptoms, yes or no." I guess it would be useful to take a look at what statistics are already available to properly match them up.

#39 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

How about if the guy is with a mental disorder, but takes his medications regularly and currently does not have symptoms?

I searched several statistics of the World Health Organisation (WHO) and other psychiatrics organisations/departments. They are mostly writting about "mental disorders" in their studies. I will have to check up what exactly do they mean by "mental disorder".

#40 YOLF

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

Good questions. I think if someone is currently using ADs and such they are in treatment and either symptom free or still working it out. If the drugs got them through the problem and they don't need them anymore, they are cured and do not have a mental illness.

We could make a question with these answers:

1. In treatment with no symptoms and a clinical diagnosis

2. In treatment with symptoms and a clinical diagnosis

3. Was treated, now have no symptoms

4. No diagnosis, just self improvement

5. I'm treating subclinical symptoms with success

6. I'm treating subclinical symptoms w/o success

7. I've recovered and am no longer treating/being treated for clinical symptoms

8. I've recovered and am no longer treating/being treated for subclinical symptoms

9. I'm treating a condition caused by drug abuse

Can you think of anything else to add?

I look forward to your findings.

#41 Mr Serendipity

• 980 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

Not diagnosed. But I think I suffer from mild OCD. For example always going back to check my door is locked after getting in the car, even when I checked it when locking it the first time. Also rewriting paragraphs again and again, as I can't make them sound right for me.

#42 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

manny, since you are not diagnosed, vote as healthy. But check yourself - for you to be sure.

Good questions. I think if someone is currently using ADs and such they are in treatment and either symptom free or still working it out. If the drugs got them through the problem and they don't need them anymore, they are cured and do not have a mental illness.

8. I've recovered and am no longer treating/being treated for subclinical symptoms

Allright. Lets make the poll in the Townhall section if you do not have what else to add.

#43 YOLF

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:33 PM

Not diagnosed. But I think I suffer from mild OCD. For example always going back to check my door is locked after getting in the car, even when I checked it when locking it the first time. Also rewriting paragraphs again and again, as I can't make them sound right for me.

When you're talking about an undiagnosed condition or one that your doctor/healthcare provider doesn't validate, it's called subclinical. So

manny, since you are not diagnosed, vote as healthy. But check yourself - for you to be sure.

Allright. Lets make the poll in the Townhall section if you do not have what else to add.

I'll let you get the poll started. I'll check on it a bit later. Just post a link to it here.

#44 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

Alright. The new and more detailed poll is located here:

http://www.longecity...ental-disorder/

Edited by cryonicsculture, 03 August 2014 - 02:23 AM.

#45 serp777

• 622 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

After some digging in several books of medical statistics, I think, that I found a way to filter the noise, that can be made by the facts of the underdiagnostics or the eventual ovediagnostics of the mental diseases.

It can be done by comapreing the results with the official statistics for the frequency of the mental diseases by using the "zero hypothesis". It is, that if we assume, that the people, who are interested in the topics, connected with the longevity and immortality are just average people, than the frequency of the mental problems among them should be the same or close to the the frequency of the mental problems among the people in the region, where they live. Since this is an internet forum, and people here come from all over the world, I used the official statistics of the WHO for the whole world (18.1–36.1%) that can be found here: http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3039289/ . Since both the people, who are interested and those, who are not, are being equally under- or over- diagnosed, the influence of these two factors is being overcome.

When I compared it, however, it became actually obvious, that the percentage of people with mental problems in this forum is higher than the percentage, shown in the official statistics.

Today is 21.07.2014 and I see, that the people, who answered "Yes" even are getting prevalence at this moment. So, please, all who are healthy vote.

Your assumption that people on this forum are average in terms of mental health seems unlikely. I would think this forum would have higher than average rates of mental illness for people seeking supplemental assitance for add, social anxiety, etc
  • like x 1

#46 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

Maybe you are right. This is why I added a note to vote only people, who are interested in topics, concerning the living longer or the living forever. This should be enough to be included in the poll only the people, who come here because they want to live longer, or to live forever. People, who use the forum only for seeking supplemental assitance for mental diseases must not to vote. The people, who use the forum for other purposes and voted, were invited to remove their vote.

#47 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

I thought it was just if you want to live forever. I just want to extend whatever natural life I have left.

And an update: since my first post my GP referred me to a psychiatrist, who referred me to a neuropsychologist, who is currently looking for another neuropsych to refer me to for a more comprehensive Asperger/ASD assessment. I guess I 'passed' the first little test so my insurance will cover full testing, otherwise the neuropsych would not have offered to take it further if she didn't think it was warranted.

#48 Danail Bulgaria

• Topic Starter
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

Vote also if you want to extend your life.

If you are not diagnosed, then vote as healthy.

More detailed you can vote here:

http://www.longecity...ental-disorder/

#49 Karla Markovich

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:01 AM

Who in their right mind would see a shrink? They are literally quacks.

• Cheerful x 1

#50 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:48 AM

Id agree with that for sure haha

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#51 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:37 PM

Who in their right mind would see a shrink?

The sting of irony (-_-)

Having a mental illness make its hard to distinguish the forest for the trees sometimes. I find value in doctors who can call atention to personal blind spots without being judgemental.

Edited by Metagene, 10 September 2014 - 12:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users