Amphetamine dysphoria - How to counteract it

amphetamine stimulants depression

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MushroomMan

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

I don't know if its caused by depression or what, but low to moderate doses of amphetamine makes me dysphoric. This happens to some people, does anyone know of a way to counteract it? The only reliable way I've found is taking benzodiazepines at the same time but thats in no way sustainable.

#2 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

I used to have this problem the 3th dose of the day of amphetamine, memantine reversed that problem for me.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Warhawk

• 19 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

I take Lyrica (pregabalin) everyday. It is not a benzodiazepine, and it provides me anxiety relief as well as a "mood brightening" effect. A cheaper alternative is Neurontin (gabapentin). It is prescribed often to patients with anxiety in my region, and I think it would be appropriate in your case.

Consult with your doctor about these gabapentioids and he or she should give you the appropriate advice.

----I do take a benzodiazepine everyday, Klonopin (clonazepam) and I do just fine, and I also take memantine and it has provided good results.

I take 70mg. of Vyvanse equipotent to 30mg. of Dexedrine (dexamphetamine) and 30mg. of dexamphetamine IR daily for a total of 60mg. d-amp daily.  

Edited by Warhawk, 11 July 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#4 Babychris

• 466 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

Amphetamine never gave my quite a bit of a dysphoria, but (M)ethylphenidate and modafinil yes and not mild ones...

#5 Warhawk

• 19 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

Amphetamine never gave my quite a bit of a dysphoria, but (M)ethylphenidate and modafinil yes and not mild ones...

It seems that you have problems with dopamine reuptake inhibitors rather than dopamine agonists, e.g. methylphenidate is a DRI; modafinil is also a weaker DRI, with additional action as a D2R partial agonist (the highest efficacy at the schizophrenia receptor that medicine is willing to mess with). This may explain some of the dysphoric actions-- you may need to avoid DRIs with any stacks. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Helllllo

• 76 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:37 AM

I get really bad dysphoria on amphetamine. It helps a bit with productivity but isnt worth the dark world. Does anyone know why and what I can take instead.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amphetamine, stimulants, depression

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users