- - - - -

Headaches and irritability

headache irritability focus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Babychris

• 466 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

Hello my point here is not to found what is the original source of a headache but to see if a mild constant headache (barely palpable sometimes) could be the cause of a constant feeling of anxiety, irritability, depression.

My point is that my feelings  of irritability etc increase when my headache increase, I always had the same kind of headaches, first I thought it was all related to sinuses, since my nose is always "closed" and the pain is the most  concentrate on the frontal side.

Most of supplements increase my headaches and then all my other  symptoms, Ginkgo, Fish Oil.. But vasoconstrictors too like modafinil (but this last was like a terrible poison on me) so it seems that vasodilatators are quite bad on my head, and can cause a simple weird feeling to a unbearable headache (you know the one that you feel when you move/shake your head) 

Funny point, sometimes I had some hypertensive crisis from bad combos and those were some very unique moment of peace and a very very pleasant head feeling...

my headaches could be related to serotonin to because I have vastly fucked up my brain with a lot of drugs... 

Thanks you for your help

#2 Warhawk

• 19 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

What medications or supplements are you currently taking everyday right now? What diagnoses do you have by a physician related to the headaches?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

Yes they can, any chronic condition, even a physically painless one like tinnitus, can wear you down and cause depression, irritability, anxiety and all the things that go with them.

The descrption of what you're feeling and the context of how it gets with substances could indicate actual migraine instead of 'headache'. I don't know though.

Have you been to a doctor? It is necessary to find out what kind of headache you're havin, whether you have a sinus infection, or allergies (this only happened to me when I left my homestate), migraine (migraines can affect the sinuses too so you'll need a doc to get to the source), or worse.

Serotonin is a potent vasoconstrictor. A spike in serotonin can cause different kinds of headaches through more than one mechanism. However, during a true migraine you start losing serotonin through your urine and wind up with low serotonin. It's also possible that whatever is causing your psychological issues is also causing the headache, with the headache only compounding things. You need to find the cause of the headaches.

Don't take this information and then try some serotonergic like 5-htp. That actually has potential to make a headache worse. If you are using painkillers, OTC or prescription, regularly, then you should stop because they cause rebound headaches.

When did the headaches start and how old are you? Can you also tell me what you typically take and eat?

Edited by Duchykins, 11 July 2014 - 08:16 PM.

#4 holdout

• 37 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

Try taking 200 mg of riboflavin (vitamin B2) daily with a meal and see if it helps.  Apparently it would: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15257686

Don't touch ginkgo biloba if you're having hypertensive crises!  Bad idea and bad for the heart.

Fish oil can cause headaches because the Omega-3's hog up water and you become dehydrated.  Usually, long-lasting mild headaches are due to dehydration.  Try drinking more than you feel like, every time you take a sip of a beverage.  Go for the large size /  go for a second pop/soda can / go for a refill / go for a second cup, etc.  Boost your volume of liquids.

#5 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

You don't drink soda for dehydration since that will just make dehydration worse, especially if it's caffinated. Even most fruit juices can make you thirstier because of sugars. Just drink water. Take it from someone who knows headaches well.

#6 holdout

• 37 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

You don't drink soda for dehydration since that will just make dehydration worse, especially if it's caffinated. Even most fruit juices can make you thirstier because of sugars. Just drink water. Take it from someone who knows headaches well.

Yes; caffeine is a diuretic and sugar dehydrates a bit too, but despite these properties, let's not forget that the bulk of the beverage is still water.  You still have something to gain by drinking anything (other than alcohol since that accumulates in the body and displaces water too).  But yeah plain water would be most optimal, though something is better than nothing in terms of hydration, even if it's a sugary caffeinated soft drink.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:04 PM

If you're on a desert island surrounded by seawater, sure. Other than that, if you're dehydrated then caffinated drinks are a bad idea because they increase the loss of magnesium and potassium, so it's not just about losing water.

I dunno. I'm not trying to be combative but I'm concerned about the kind of headache he may be having and it's possible stimulants, especially caffeine if he's been on it regularly, will make him worse.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: headache, irritability, focus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users